Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Snapstinget - what a wonderful welcome to CPH! Aiming for 4.15 (did Dublin last Oct in 4.18) - so hoping to shave a few minutes off. That said seem to be getting slower every run!!
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips on the lacing, I'll give them a try. Scooby, that's just what I've been getting, a bump on the tendon which is very tender. I really don't want anything to go wrong now.

Tiredgirl - such a shame about the shins. have you tried massage? A visit to the fizz sounds a good idea. Hope it gets sorted soon.
  • Options
    Happyas - don't panic! It's a realy pain in the wotsits but I reckon it will settle for you. I'm off as you know not because of that but due to achilles tendons that will not let me run.

I would re-iterate that you ice immediately after a run and I found anti-inflams really helped. But do take a course of them and not just for a day or so. I hope that that, combined with a different lace technique sorts out the problem for you. Best of luck.

tiredgirl - so sorry to hear of shins. Blinkin things. Try getting off road or onto trails if you can, or, as I had to, onto a tready for the shorter runs. Might help. Reduced impact helped mine when i had them. Best of luck for tomorrow. they are unpredicatble so and so's, you may well be fine!
  • Options
    gosh I sound like some injury ghuru! Sorry! I'm not, but have had a bit of a bad year!
  • Options
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PB PB PB PB PB PB PB PB PB PB PB PB PB

53:47 - Fab run, left shin started to give me grief at about 2km but it wore off by about 4km. I'm so pleased, I'm on top of the world!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a highly trained athlete hehehehehehe

:-)))))))

• Options
    congrats tiredgirl - not so tired after all :-)
  • Options
    WELL DONE TIREDGIRL!!!!
    No wonder you are so happy after all the worrying about the shins.

I've done my long slow one for this week. I set out to do 16 miles but ended up doing 16.9 (Don't know how that happened). I must have tried to adjust the laces differently 20 times then when there was only 5 miles to go it suddenly felt comfortable so thanks for all the help.
    My average pace was 11.36 - still a bit too quick I know (supposed to be 11.45 to 12.45) but I really did try to slow it down but as I haven't got a Garmin and have to rely on my HRM its a bit hit and miss, especially for the last few miles when my HR was increasing anyway.
    All in all I'm very pleased with this as I haven't run this far for 4 years.
    Thanks Shades!xx
  • Options
    Well done Tiredgirl.

Went out for my 10 mile run today. Got problems still with my blister and another has appeared today at the side of it (on the inside off my forefoot) Dont know how or what at the momentis causing them. Adjusted the orthotics as we thought it was these that were rubbinig. I am wearing the same shoes that I have had for a few months. Running shop said that these where still ok. My feet where really sore and hot today. If I dont sort it this week the Stamford 30k next weekend looks doughtfull.
  • Options
    What great training going on here!

Tiredgirl - FANTASTIC! Will done, that is way way faster than you had hoped for, what great news! And so glad the shins settled down for you too!

Sammy Snail - sorry to read about blister. Well done on getting through your 10 mile run. Sounds like it could well be those orthotics to me. Have you had them for a long time? I've heard about orthotics causing blisters. I'm getting some made up at the moment and suspect they will take some time to get used to. Have you changed your socks? Or are your socks getting old? Mine go all thin and horrible (crusty) when they get old and can then rub!

Happyas - so glad your long run went well. And furthest in 4 years, you must be pleased. Nearly 17 miles done - this is a long long way!

Did 34 miles on bike today. This is the furthest I have cycled so far. I now have visions of doing 40 but thats quite a big jump! I thoroughly enjoyed todays ride. The sun was out and the moors were just breathtakingly beautiful. I feel content and weary (I love that weary feeling after a long run/cycle) and looking forward to a nice glass of wine, so cheers to you all and well done.

• Options
    Sammy - try Thorlos socks (the thinnest ones in their range) and vaseline the areas that are blistering before you run. If your orthotics weren't rubbing before I don't see why they should start. Mine were awful when I first got them but once adjusted correctly I didn't get a blister again until my shoes died - same happened to Mark - but if DR say they're ok then they probably are. Have you changed from running on treadie to tarmac or tarmac to trails? Hope you get it sorted soon.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, I'm still smiling :)

Sammy - I use Boots melonlin adhesive wound dressings on my blisters when they appear and that stops the pain whilst running. If it's really bad I'll use one of those and tape it up over the top. Oh, and I burst it to let the fluid out too. Not sure if this is the right way but it works for me. Good Luck.

Well done on the cycle Scooby and well done on the run Happyas. I agree.....

THANKS SHADES :)))))
  • Options
    Tiredgirl - Very well done on the PB. I am really pleased you raced, an I guess you are too after this performance. Hopefully you'll be glowing for days. well done. Really pleased for you.

Scoobs - I am really disappointed for you about Paris. I don;t know what to say, only that you seem to be really positive about it. I don't think I would have handled it so well. I'm pleased you've got a new target now, and clearly you are going to retain a lot of fitness with doing all those good miles on your bike. I'm envious about you cycling now (Mr Bump sneakily looks at prices of a new bike whilst Mrs Bump isn't looking!). You asked about my physio trip - and you're right, I forgot to post what happened. In a nutshell, over the years I've sprained my ankle 9 times - twice quite badly. My physio is not sure that I'll get back 100% functionality in it, and at the same time he wasn't happy that I have to strap it up to run long or fast. I felt pretty down about running afterwards because I don't want to run at a level below that which I believe I'm capable, but at the same time having fully-functioning limbs is far more important than doing running. So, I was pretty down about running all week...until today that is, report later...

Happyas - Well done on the long run. A 17 miler already. Wow! I'm impressed - especially as this being your longest run in 4 years. As for the lacing, if you want to experiment, look at the New Balance website. They have (or had, I've not looked recently) diagrams of different ways to lace your shoes.

Sammy - Not sure about the blister. I would recommend Thorlos socks - purely for protection. I used to wear them when I did get blisters, and they certainly helped. However, as I think I've stated earlier, since I switched to Mizuno I've had no blisters, so I am very lucky, and I now wear X-Socks whih don't have as much padding, but they are more supportive in the ankle area. Hope you can get this sorted soon (fingers crossed for you).

• Options
    Ok, today I did the Asics Watford Half-Marathon. No specific ambition in mind, but I ran 1:46:xx on the course last year so I thought it would be a good test of how I was doing.

I finsihed in 1:41:35 (7:45/mile - av HR 169/84%). Fastest mile was in 7:15. My 3rd fastest half-marathon ever, and 2:55 outside my PB. Very pleased with that, especially as the course has certainly got some sharp hills on it. No niggles, complaints or injuries. As you can guess, I'm a lot happier about running now. Isn't it surprising what a difference one run can make?

As for the run, I tried to keep on or around 170HR, and if the HR got to 174, to back off and let the HR come back down. And so it proved. It appears however I ran out of steam after 11 miles, as I started to struggle there, but not bad being able to keep at 85%HR for 11 miles. Just need to fine tune things there - what do you think? Unfortunately I had nothing left for the finish, doing the final mile in 7:47, when I would have liked to have been about 30 seconds faster.

• Options
    Well done Tiredgirl, fantastic pb Yeeha!

and MrBump - fab time. What does that predict for your marathon?

Well done on the long run HappyasLarry, like you I did 16 milesish today - actually not too sure how far as I did it in two bits - about 13 with a pal, had a quick coffee with her and then headed out on my own for another 40 mins with the mp3. Bet Paula doen't train like that but I do value the social side of running a lot! Distance is based on map measuring, really must borrow Mr Sluggies Garmin and get a bit more precise

Followed that up with Sunday lunch and a quick snooze on the sofa - simple pleasures...

Shades, your advice about adding another medium-long slow run in mid-week to adapt the programme to ultra training seems to be working fairly painlessly, many thanks!
  • Options
    Mr Bump - that's terrific running. Well done.
    I presume that if you've been for fizzio you are doing strengthening excercises for the ankle? Hopefully that will go some way to making it better.

Sammy - sorry I have no advice re blisters, I only suffered once and that was with orthotics too. I don't use them now I've changed shoes and don't get the problem.

Scooby - that's a lot of miles on the bike. I am envious as I just don't seem to be able to get out lately on mine as I really suffer from cold feet in this weather and an hour is enough.
  • Options
    Sluggie - Thank you :-) Marathon prediction is now something like 3:31............meanwhile, back on Planet Earth, I'd like to go sub-3:50. You say you don't train like Paula, well you certainly did in that you had an afternoon nap. Did you have the ice bath first I wonder? :-)

Happyas - Thank you too :-) I've got some balancing exercises one of which is me balancing on the dodgy ankle whilst Mrs Bump throws a ball at me to catch. I've got to build up to 10 mins of this. The idea is to improve stability of the ankle. It's the bit about the possibility of not getting back 100% functionality which worried me. I've got to ring him midweek to get another appointment so he can assess progress.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Busy weekend on this thread and some fab running.

Tiredgirl - I am so pleased for you and that is a massive PB. I think you needed that race to restore your confidence. When you run next, a nice slow recovery run.

Snaps - No, I have no intention to entering any trail champs and I'm not intending to do any of the listed races. I don't like off road events and will only be doing a couple this year to increase my marathon totals and that's when I can't find a road event.

HasL - congrats on your long run, there is something magical when the distances start to get near that 20 mark. Rest well today and practice lacing your shoes!!

Mr Bump - brilliant half marathon race time especially over a toughish course. What % of max heart rate was that - I think you normally quote WHR, don't you.

sluggie - glad your training is going well with the extra run. I can't put in an longish run midweek (time constraints) but am going to add another double.

Sammy - lots of peeps I know need bigger and/or wider shoes when they have orthotics as they alter the fit too much.

Well not a good weekend for me, had to cut my long run short as my foot injury returned. I have decided to pull out of my race next weekend. The injury is not serious but I think I'd be foolish to risk it.
  • Options
    Afternoon all. I had a nice 10 mile run on Saturday (average of 9:38) around the majority of the White Horse 1/2M course. It was a bit chilly but was nice to get out in the countryside. Far better than those hot sweaty gyms I hear so much about. :o)
  • Options
    Shades - I'm sorry to hear about your injury. Think you are doing the sensible thing though about Draycote. I think if you are carrying an injury a race of 35 miles would probably find it out. I don't know what to say, because I would be so frustrated and disappointed. Hopefully you're not too down. I am so sorry for you. Hope your foot gets some TLC and you'll be back running soon. Is it an injury you've had before? Just thought, as the race is milti-lap, could you not do a lap or two and see how things go, but then again, I guess it would be too far to travel just for that.

You asked about my HR% in yesterday's race. For info, my HRmax=193 which I recorded a few weeks ago. My HRrest=46. WHR=147.

My plan was to stay at 170HR, and if it rose to 174 I would back off until the heart rate came down again. I averaged 169HR for the course. Based on WHR calculation this is 84%. For me, the wheels seem to start to fall off at 87% hence why I would back off at 174HR. I lasted 11 miles at around 84% until I struck for home. Mile 12 in 7:13 (HR=175 / 88%) but then I had nothing left for the finish.

Can you read anything into this? Lactate threshold is perhaps 87%? Even though I say it myself, I am happy with 11 miles at 84%.

Did a 4.5 miles recovery run today, and it was nice. Happy with having run 19 miles (if you included my pre-race warm-up yesterday) in the last 36 hours!
  • Options
    Hi folks - really sorry to hear about your foot Shades, what's wrong with it? Hope it clears up soon. Shame re Draycote but no doubt very sensible, live to fight another day and all that

Mr Bump, in answer to your question, I did try the ice bath once on a very hot day. Had to muffle my screams with a towel. Now I just apply ice to my ankles after long runs!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Mr Bump - i always use %MHR not WHR but that works out at 87% which is OK. Your lactate threshold is roughly the pace you can hold for an hour - no longer.

& sluggie - someone trod on my foot in Argos - it wasn't his fault, he bought a box of weights and when he picked the box up the weights moved inside the box and threw him off balance. Just one of those things, I'll be OK in a couple of weeks as I can run up to 8 miles with no problems.
  • Options
    hi everyone!

I should be back training this week after two weeks break for a pain in my knee (which seems gone) and a flu.

Last LSR was on sun 21 and it was 12miles. My last run was last wednesday (5 miles). I missed two LSR: one 10 mile and one 14 and this weekend I have my first race ever.
    What should I do? I can train wed and friday and the race is saturday. Any suggestion are welcomed.

Shades - I will send you an email. I need to reschedule all my LSR, I guess.
  • Options
    tiredgirl - WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Thank you all for the advice.
    At work today I went to see the nurse as the pain was getting worse. She dressed it for me and said to keep off running until it heals again. (Approx 1 x week)
    I will try the anti-blister socks and change my shoes to see if this helps. I will need some new trainers for the FLM so now seems a good time.
    As for the blister I will keep to the compeed for now but if they come again I will try the other options.

What is best for running, Hard skin or soft skin?
    The guys at work are ex army and they all say hard skin. Yet on some of the forums on RW they say soft skin ?
    Confused ??? I am.

Thanks again for your support.
  • Options
    Shades, being injured by someone else's attempt to get fit is a bit much!
  • Options
    Good luck for your first race mokina.

I'm afraid that I'm not the best person to give any advice re. your training up until Saturday. I'm sure someone else will advise you though.

The main thing on the day is to enjoy it and not worry about any particular time. It's a great experience.

In my first race 5 years ago, I thought that i was bound to come last and I was pleasently surprised.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Mokina - if you feel OK do an easy 5 miles on Wednesday, nice and slow to get you back into running.

I would suggest rest the day before your race. Running the day before will only impair your race day performance. After your race we can get back to training.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    sluggie - hee,hee and the guy was a shorter version of the guy that does the Mr Muscle adverts - I would guess he was barely 9 stone!
  • Options
    Shades - sorry to hear abut your injury. What a bummer to have to miss the race due to someone else. Hope its better soon.

I went for my 5 miles easy run this morning. My right hip got a bit sore/stiff after 3 miles but wasn't bad enough to stop or walk. It went off at home after some stretching and as I have a rest day tomorrow, I hope that it will be ok for Thursday. I was pleased though that my legs are feeling much better than I thought they would after Sunday's long run.