Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    on the beach, I can recommend Manchester the support was excellent as good as brighton from memory, pretty flat and not too many fiddly turns so a good chance to get your rhythm (I'm in again for next year).  I've seen Louey has Abingdon booked, did this in 2015 and was my old PB course, flat 2 circuits but not much on offer in terms of atmosphere.
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Shades, it’s been building over time and now sole use of Ride 10’s brought it too head. They don’t suit my running style as i push off from inside if foot and not enough arch support, the nimbus suited me better at thats what I’ve had mainly. I’ve got Brooks Ghost as Nimbus have lowered heel drop from 12 to 10 and brooks are still 12, i can always get insterts of arch support is not enough, weak hips and shoe and mileage possible slippy slides of Dumpling and sent muscle into over drive. pes anserine and torn muscle on our side shin, foot was out of line.  No running for three days and to build up and include strength exercises. I might not of explained myself very well but basically, I’m going to work really hard to make my muscle strong and run what I can without braking I will also keep up with riding to work work and swimming. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    OTB - I've recorded the seconds on your finish time so will appear on next week's list.

I didn't realise that after your last two marathons you suffered a lot, sore feet etc so gradually you are getting stronger and improved recovery is a sign of improved fitness too.

I think Jugula has done Southampton so he can advise on the course, I hadn't heard it was hilly.   Maybe Manchester would suit you better next year for a Spring marathon although it's a long journey.   You won't find many marathons in the UK that has lots of spectators for the whole course.   I prefer there to be no or very few spectators, one of the reasons I hate London as the noise is terrible.

This my race on Sunday

Cal - yes, maybe Llanelli is too close to Chester for you.  Maybe next time.   

But you're already on my provisional DD list for 2019 ;) , you would certainly need to stop avoiding hills, do a hilly half or two and maybe a hilly marathon as well as hill training.  I managed to get Ian to enjoy running hills, just put one hilly run a week in his training, not too far and I think he loves that training run now.

4 weeks after your marathon to do a 10k, you'll be fine, honest.

Louey - take it easy if your RHR is still raised, could easily be a virus so best not to run again until RHR back down.   Good that the recovery run has helped with the DOMS.

Lovely race report.   Trying to get rid of a stitch in a race is really difficult and so painful and that would certainly have impacted on your time.   Also your very tiring day on your feet on the day before the race, unfortunately it's not always easy to rest up.

Robert - I'll put your Manchester PB up on the list next week.

I've heard Stort 30 is a good race.

Are you marshalling at London?

Lovely day here, went out for a short walk, perfect conditions for me for marathon running.
  • Options

Shades, I see from your pic you're not racing London lol... yup, my local club needed volunteers so thought may as well join in as I know them well.  Be a busy weekend on saturday going to recee NDW miles 24 and 42 prob be out the house for 10 hours with the train journey. 

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jelly said:
    Shades, it’s been building over time and now sole use of Ride 10’s brought it too head. They don’t suit my running style as i push off from inside if foot and not enough arch support, the nimbus suited me better at thats what I’ve had mainly. I’ve got Brooks Ghost as Nimbus have lowered heel drop from 12 to 10 and brooks are still 12, i can always get insterts of arch support is not enough, weak hips and shoe and mileage possible slippy slides of Dumpling and sent muscle into over drive. pes anserine and torn muscle on our side shin, foot was out of line.  No running for three days and to build up and include strength exercises. I might not of explained myself very well but basically, I’m going to work really hard to make my muscle strong and run what I can without braking I will also keep up with riding to work work and swimming. 

Maybe in the future you need a slightly more supportive shoe for longer distances, Nimbus and Ghost are both neutral shoes.  10 from 12 mm will not make enough difference to you, 2mm is almost negligible.

I know you'll work hard at your rehab exercises.

Robert - no, definitely not London for me :)   Marshalling is the next best thing to actually racing.   Will be tiring at London though.
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Louey - I love reports and that was a cracker.. thank you for taking the time to write it and hats off for getting it done so soon after your race too (something I am completely incapable of). Well done again on what sounds like an extremely tough race. Four miles is a long way to be struggling so you are made of stern stuff to have been able to keep going AND come out with a great time too. I'd try a different marathon next time though.. what about doing one abroad.. would that be possible?

Hi and welcome Robert  :)

OTB - Well done to you too for sticking it out. I can't believe you ended up on a stretcher  :o You must have felt great for the first 18 miles to stay with a HR of 140. Shades gave me a link to a HR marathon race plan (I think it's called something like Marco Polo.. Shades?) Anyway, I used it for a marathon two years ago and it was one of the most enjoyable marathons ever. Was full of energy at the end. I've just had a quick look at my stats and I wasn't at 140 for very long though and ended up with a figure of 163 for the whole race.
    Hope you've recovered by now and those stairs are easier.

Went out quite late today to do my 24k circuit.. was pretty warm too, around 28 degrees but I figured that Blaye is going to be warm so wouldn't be a bad idea to try running in the heat for a change. Was going pretty well up until I started to run out of water and then the wheels came off.
    Felt horribly thirsty, tired and light headed. Managed 22k then thankfully got a lift for the last 2k back home. Next time I'll fill up all four bottles on my belt and not just two  :#

Shades - On the prayer mat for you for Connemara  B)

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Robert-welcome to the thread,very similar times to myself so will be interested to keep track on your training.
    Jelly-sorry about your race,hope you get better soon.
    Louey-Great report,sounds like you had an enjoyable weekend and that's the main thing,GFA is in sight for you.
    Mama-tough running in those conditions,well done for doing what you did.
    Shades-Can't recall saying I loved that training run  :D  actually I did grow to really enjoy it,tough but so beneficial,can't say I'm looking forward to it again after this break.
    Was meant to be going the gym tonight but it was so nice out I decided to go for a slow run instead,not ran 2 days together for a while so it will be interesting to see how my achilles reacts tomorrow.
  • Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Evening folks, hope you are all well and enjoying the warmer weather..
    The pre race butterflies have started already with all the tents and pens going up on blackheath and the usual maranoia has set in.. I had a bit of a mishap with my brooks ghosts, I tore down the side of my shoe which forced me to go out and buy another pair but I was hesitant to buy brooks again as forum posts suggest that rooks are prone to ripping at around 500miles. I used my vitality life half price shoe offer and got myself 2 pairs. I got a pair of asics cumulus 20’s (training shoes) and a pair of Nike pegasus 34’s (racing shoe) never thought I’d like the Nike’s but they are light, responsive and very comfortable.

I did a 7 mile run with 3 @close to MP (6:20ish/mile) which felt pretty tough but I’m not too worried as I know I can run that in a race. Now it’s all about resting, foam rolling, stretching and nutrition. Will be heading to the expo on Friday and the game is on...my number is 32035..
  • Options
    Robert- welcome to the thread.
    OTB- sounds like the end to your marathon was eventful and it was good to see you got a pb.

Finally went out for a easy 4 miles after work tonight. First run in a week due to having the cold it felt great just getting out again.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    mamafox - 28 degrees is hot and quite a shock to the system after all that cold weather, glad you could get a lift if only for the last 2k.   Do you wear a hat or visor in the sun?

mamafox said:

Shades - On the prayer mat for you for Connemara  B)

Thank you :) 

Ian - you will have to introduce that hilly training run gently into your schedule.   Hope achilles is not too sore today after consecutive runs.   Don't think I'd fancy the gym in this weather either.

Iain - good luck for Sunday, hope the weather suits you and you get that target time.   

Bad luck with the shoes.  I've never heard of Brooks tearing, I've used Brooks for about 16 years, different models and I would say that the uppers last longer than any other brand, I transfer mine to scruff wear, put them in the washing machine regularly and only throw them out when the soles are worn completely smooth and I have another pair to replace them.   Can't believe Pegasus are on year 34 now, they've been going so long but have had a revival and get great reviews.

steven - If you're feeling great after your cold that's good news and another 10 days before your marathon you'll be raring to go. :) 

Yet another rest day for me :#   
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    MF, you did well in that heat.  I was just walking yesterday, and I was sweating and was glad I had my Camelbak.

Shades, when do you fly out?

Iain, good luck for Sunday.  Do you have any goals for the race (I know it'll depend on the heat to some extent!)?

Ian, how are things today after 2 days in a row?

I'm looking forward to London again, from a spectators point of view although I won't be able to watch the race live as I'll be driving to Sheffield, to watch the ultimate spectator sport....snooker!  :)  There have been a few pics appear from last year when I ran it, including the group photo with my club mates.  I know it's not everyone's cuppa tea, but it's still my favourite race experience.  

Which reminds me, OTB, I did 4:00:59 at London last year...but it still didn't detract from the overall experience for me.  Loved it, and it's actually the race that made me realise I could enjoy marathons!  I'd got my sub-4 about a six weeks earlier so I wasn't too worried about the time, although if I'd been specifically chasing a sub-4 I'd have been frustrated!  What was more frustrating from a time perspective was that I did Leiden in Holland a few weeks later and missed out on a PB by 11 seconds! 

The walk yesterday and the run has made me tired again.  I've a few things to do today, but fingers crossed I'll get out for a run a bit later, when it starts to cool again.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - it did feel really warm yesterday and temps down here are much lower than in SE or France, maybe the heat has tired you.    

London runners must be really worried although it's forecast to cool down to 20/21 for Sunday, think they have 27  degrees today.   Unfortunately forecast for Connemara is a lot cooler and some rain and now the wind forecast has increased too but we just have to accept and deal with that as out of our control.  The 'weather' in Connemara is all part of the challenge

Not flying out until early Saturday as there was no morning flight from Exeter on Friday and as I was using an amended flight with Flybe I couldn't use Bristol airport.   But I'm glad it's Exeter as I need to be at airport around 5 a.m.    Only staying 2 nights.   Meeting my friend at Dublin airport for breakfast and then we'll travel onto Galway.   Hotel called me yesterday to confirm booking as such a busy weekend in Galway lots of folk still chasing hotel rooms.  Irish hospitality is so good, when I said I'd like to leave luggage as will be too early for check in, the hotel has promised that our rooms will be ready for early check in.   Have booked a 4* hotel, need my bath and a bit of luxury after this race :)

I've already set my HD recorder to record London, the elite races are on RB.   Just heard Mo interviewed on the radio, he sounds nervous.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Big G - this looks a nice event for next year, except for having to drive to Cumbria in July

http://sportinaction.co.uk/11-Solway-Coast-marathon/

Maybe not, just looked where it is and 6.5 hour drive on clear road :'(
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah, I have to say I'd be panicking a bit about the weather.  You know how I run/walked around that hot one last year in 5:10.  Although if it does go down to 20/21, I suppose that's not horrendous.  What a difference a month has made though!  Hopefully the runners enjoy the day.  I'm especially hoping our young Trotter does well, and the weather isn't too bad for him.

I find myself looking on eBay for cheap handheld GPS receivers, which may encourage me to do a few more LDWA events on my own.  My map reading isn't bad, but having a backup like that would be a good thing for me I think.  On yesterday's walk, I took a map and practiced a bit.  Obviously, I know the route I did yesterday, but it's good to practice a bit on a route you know!  I know you've mentioned the LDWA instructions are very good generally, but maybe for £40 second hand it wouldn't be a bad investment if I was doing events on my own, although brand new they're too expensive.  I'm just looking at the base model Garmin hand held one.  I remember one time I nearly got lost very close to a route I know well on Dartmoor, when the weather came in.  Once that fog descends (which it can do, quickly), it can be pretty scary!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    X-Post, that looks a good one Shades.  I'll have a look into it.  Another one for the ever growing list of possibilities!  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - the trouble with London is that it's so overcrowded that for a lot of the runners they can't take advantage of any, however slight, cooling breeze and it always feels hotter and more oppressive in heavily built up areas.
    Other issues are that few will be used to the change in temperature and a lot having not really done marathon training at all.

Young Trotter should be OK, he won't be running in crowds and he'll be finished before the hottest weather of the day, the humidity is forecast to be really low too.  Callum Hawkins had high humidity to deal with as well and that's worse that the heat.

This calculator does the effect of heat  http://runworks.com/calculator.html

Re the LDWA events, years ago you would be disqualified for using GPS routing as they wanted to keep their sport pure.   You don't need GPX, the narrative instructions are usually really good and map reading skills only needed for dangerous routes, such as Dartmoor.  Just choose your events carefully.

• Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Big_G - as far as target times go, the top end is 2:44:59 of that isn't possible then sub 2:50, then at least a PB so sub 2:56 and if everything goes tits up, a GFA of sub 3:05. Worst case I'll enjoy it anyway 
  • Options
    LoueyLouey ✭✭✭
    Mamafox – I'm extremely stubborn. I gave myself a talking to at several points to avoid stopping. As you know, so much of a marathon is mental strength and there are always going to be parts of a race that are hard, it's being able to get through it. Last year I had a shocker at Brighton (mainly due to the heat). I ended up walking parts of it and I didn't want that to happen again. I would like to do an overseas race but in the middle of house renovations which pretty much means we will have no money for ages so it's not going to happen next year. I will enter the Berlin marathon ballot (again) and I am planning ahead for when (if) I get a BQ time as I may only have one shot at running that one. If I did get in to Boston that would be a very expensive trip as we would probably combine it with going somewhere else in the States (it usually falls in the Easter holidays). Some of the European marathons are tempting but I have to limit my requests as there are only so many times I can suggest marathons to OH before he starts getting antsy about the number of races I'm entering.  28 degrees when you are not used to running in it is very hot! Glad you got a lift back and didn't run the last 2k.

Steven – very glad to hear you are on the mend now. I'm guessing you won't have high temps in Stirling to deal with next week.

Shades – RHR down again, feeling much brighter. My current problem is that I am so hungry I could eat my own hand. I get this every time after a marathon. Interestingly, this article was linked in one of my emails this morning:

https://theconversation.com/does-running-a-marathon-increase-your-risk-of-infections-94769

Another thing to tell people when they say that running marathons are bad for you! I am planning on watching VLM on Sunday, I know a couple of people who are running but I really want to see how Mo does. Interesting that you thought he sounded nervous.  

Ian – hope the Achilles is ok today. I have had to learn to love hills as my new town is very hilly. It is definitely getting easier but I am sure that part of my Achilles issues are down to the hills.

BigG – I kind of had to do Abingdon after a DNS last year. Plus it's close, and relatively cheap which gives me brownie points with OH.

Absolutely gorgeous in London today, and I was already getting itchy feet last night (plus I have new trainers to try out!) so I ran 4 miles from Euston station to work. I have to go back on myself to get the 4 miles so my route goes into Regents Park. Except they had shut several of the gates so I ran up the road alongside it hoping that I would find an open one, which I did, only to get to the other end of the park to find I couldn't get out! Several frustrated runners were trying to find exits. In the end they opened the gates. Not sure what was going on.  Still, it didn't detract from my run which was glorious. Love the new trainers, they are so light in comparison to the Ravenna 8s. The legs feel fine. My Achilles is sore but eases off after a while. Am going to book Brighton for next year after a discussion with OH last night (while it's still a bit cheaper).

• Options
    LoueyLouey ✭✭✭

X-post - Iain - very best of luck. Need to add your no to the tracker.

• Options
    Shades - Your race on Sunday looks amazing, what incredible scenery. I can see why you wouldn't want to miss that one. 

mamafox - Thanks :) I was quite interested in my heart rate because I believed my lactate threshold was below 140bpm. Portsmouth Uni offer fitness tests were they can actually measure your threshold, so I may invest into this to see exactly where it is. That may help me control my cramps on the full marathon distance. And yes, today i can final navigate stairs without too much pain. The sauna and swim clearly helped last night.

Ian5 - hopefully achilles is a little better today

Iain - I've added you into my favourites on the app. Good luck Sunday!

Steven - Thanks, hopefully your post cold run went well.

Big_G - Man that is frustrating 11 sec's! This has happened to me a few times for my HM PB race's. I have been trying to go sub 1:45. Closest results were 1:45:17 and 1:45:21.

For me, nice swim and sauna last night. Legs feel much better today. 
    Tonight i'm doing something different, me and my running buddy are going to do a gentle 5k-ish followed by a burger and a few beers down the pub. Tonight will be nice to not take my running too seriously and finally enjoy a beer and a post marathon catch up with my mate. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades/Big G-it's not too and,little sore but no more than normal
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Louey - interesting link.   Endurance running does improve the immune system and that benefit can take quite a while to build up but certainly a good one.   But after a marathon, tired, cold, dehydrated a virus will happily move in while the body is a bit low, that's why it's so important to start recovery ASAP.   A raised RHR after a marathon is normal as the body is overtired, I would expect my RHR to be slightly raised the next day.   

First marathon I ever DNF'd, I felt ill at 16 miles and stopped, was taken to the finish where I felt fine again and was very cross with myself for stopping.  Next morning my RHR was up to 84 (at that time usual was about 52), still felt fine, went to work and by lunchtime I was home in bed with the worst throat infection I can ever recall.

If you're hungry, eat, eat and eat, it's your body's way of saying it needs nutrients.

I'm glad that Mo sounded nervous that's a good sign, he knows that he's got a lot to do and he's not found the training easy.

Glad the new shoes feel so good.

OTB - this is the time to enjoy your running, no schedule or race to worry about so enjoy your pub run :)    You're recovering well.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I really hope the weather cools down a bit for Sunday or it's going to be carnage. It felt pretty hot out there today (Garmin said 18 degrees but BBC said around 20). Wore shorts and a vest, but I made the mistake of not taking water as I usually only do if it's a long run. I was thirsty after two miles.
    Aside from that, it felt quite good and I enjoyed being out under blue skies (there's still some blossom around to enjoy) and I could quite happily have run 10 miles were it not for the dry mouth. Once I got past mile 6 I could feel myself start to labour a bit and my form was beginning to suffer, so I reluctantly took the path towards home and finished at 7 miles. I reminded myself that I was supposed to be recovering at the moment and there was nothing to be gained from dessicating myself. I think I'm getting more sensible in my old age. :wink:
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Iain - Good luck for Sunday. Nice goals there....Sub 2:45 is auto entry to Berlin and champs start at London!!

6 mile recovery run today, nice and easy, was warm out at 5am, but getting lighter in the mornings!!
  • Options

mamafox, know how you feel about being short on water! Just did the same today.

Ian, will look forward to returning the tracking, my 3.32 at Manchester took me by surprise and still not sunk in yet but prob need to step up some of my training paces and sessions to dip under the 3.30 barrier.

Iain, enjoy London, those MP miles in taper always feel shit! I don't look at any of my slower paces during taper.

Steven hope the run went well, pesky colds... hayfever next lol.  I too have used Brooks Adrenaline for four years, probably about 8 pairs all lasting 500 miles then relegated to gym shoes.

Big G that's a few marathons last year in a short space of time, some consistent times too! I second the wait for it too cool down. I'm awful at map reading, have either left it to others or had to recee the route beforehand.  When I did Atlantic Coast Challenge in cornwall last year wasn't too difficult most of the time, if you got the sea on the right and you're going up hill you're going the right direction.

Shades thanks for the reminder to record the marathon too! Your 1st mara experience sounds dreadful, did it knock your confidence or just unfinished business that you had to do?

Onthebeach, have you ever trained specifically for a half or tagged them in marathon seasons? I've not got an autumn marathon (Manchester 2019 my next) and after NDW50miler no Ultra's either.  Want to have a bash at my 1.34.47 half time in my 1st every race in 2010 and going to train specifically for it.  Enjoy the guilt free burger and beer!

Cal, was beautiful out there today, guessing we're all forgetting water not being used to running in the sun.  Well done on being sensible too! Something I'm crap at considering... pushing myself less than 10 days after a big marathon PB!

2nd 13 mile off road commute to work this week (Tues and today) a mix of tired legs and the heat I struggled a bit more today that I thought I would but then it's the 1st bit of sun for 2018.  rest day tomorrow before heading down to Boxhill on Saturday, may have a look round the Marthon expo if can get around and not too shattered. 

• Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Big G, if you want to refresh/ go threw plotting route on map ? my daughter can show you and compass bearing. I’m planning on doing map reading course as I want to do more races on the moors and you can’t go up there and just wing it. Colin from Run Venture does them, I know him threw a old friend, he’s ex army. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Robert, yeah I got the bug last year. Between 2010 and the start of 2017 I'd done 6 marathons, but last year I ended up doing 20 and lopped a fair bit off my time. For this obsession, I blame Shades ;) I'm planning a similar amount this year, or hopefully a few more. This thread has a lot to answer for ;) I'm trying to not focus too much on the numbers but a long term goal is to get into the 100 Marathon Club. There are at least 3 on this thread who between them have done 100s - Shades, Mowzer and Emmy. 

Jelly, thanks - I'll keep that in mind. I saw those courses and was tempted too. I do have a very good book about map reading that I picked up in a charity shop a few years ago. It has lessons in there, and covers it all very well. I'll have a further think about a course though. 
  • Options

Big G, I'm on 20 (inc Ultras) 1st was in 2011, but didn't get going until 2015 no rush to get to the 100 club as only done Manchester this year and go the ultra next month then some short stuff for a change.

• Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    It sounds like you're on the right thread if you're aiming to do lots of marathons Robert! (I'm not including myself in that.. I only do around two a year!)

I was thinking about Mowzer the other day.. any news anyone? And is SK ok as well?

Big G - Enjoy your snooker in Sheffield. Didn't you go there last year for that.. or was it Preston or somewhere?

Louey - Boston would be something to aim for.. what a trip that would be. From my fairly limited experience over here I can really recommend Carcassonne. Quite a small marathon with not much in the way of spectators (personnally that suits me) but a really lovely course round the surrounding area and I like Carcassonne itself too. The new town that is.. well I'm saying new but new in relation to the walled castle bit. Only thing to consider is that it's in June so can be a bit warm.

Interesting article, I nearly always seem to be struck down with a cold or something after a marathon. Shades will probably say this is down to my inability to do a recovery run (hurts too much) but I am not convinced :p

OTB - Glad to see you're on the mend.

Fairly easy 15k for me this morning. Took it easy with HR around the 120s then after 7k it rocketed up to 170/180 and didn't budge. I felt fine though. Maybe still getting over yesterday's fiasco  :|
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Sorry Shades - forgot to add that no I don't like wearing anything on my head. I did buy a baseball cap for Barcelona as the year I did it the weather was quite warm.. but I don't think I've ever worn it since.