Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Robert - first I want to thank you and all the other marshals that worked so hard to make Sunday a great experience
    OTB - I’m feeling surprisingly good. Legs are slightly stiff but nothing more than that.
    Shades - I’ve got a rece booked for the 10th June but I am looking at doing one slightly sooner possibly on the 26th May.

After speaking to a few people it sounds like I was suffering from mild heatstroke and it could of been a lot worse if I hadn’t listened to my body. I looked at my splits and I got to the 10 mile mark around 65min so I was running pretty hard.. lesson learned I guess..
  • Options
    LoueyLouey ✭✭✭
    Well done Shades - 8+ hours on your feet is amazing. I must admit I had a little peek at the results last night to check you had finished and I was so relieved to see your name there. You must be delighted your injury has gone. 

Robert - well done for volunteering - it can't be an easy job at VLM.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Robert - Adrenalines are great shoes, ran marathons in them for a good 15 years, still love them but have switched to Saucony guide for races now.

Keep gently encouraging your wife about Connemara, it's an amazing event.  And there's no pressure re time in the half or the marathon, in fact she could enter as a walker if she wanted.   If you want any help on travel logistics just ask 

Jugula - thanks, I didn't remember you saying anything about hills at Southampton either. :) 

Big G - it's a shame for anyone not achieving their marathon goals that they've worked so hard for but I really feel for young Trotter, hope he's OK.  Did he just set off too fast for the conditions?

Hope you're enjoying the snooker.

Cal - yes, Connemara Ultra is a very tough race, I overtook quite a few runners and most of those that I overtook DNF'd, but it's a beautiful race and the weather is a big factor on the day.

I wear arm warmers in a hot race too, they stop me getting any sunburn but Mo wouldn't have any issues like that, but they don't make you hot as they are wicking and they are compression too.

OTB - just give me a day or so and I'll put something together for you for the period until your South Downs marathon

Home very late last night, not a lot of sleep over the weekend so tired, then had to get up early today to put the bins out!   Didn't think my neighbours would appreciate me putting a wheelie bin out full of glass at midnight.   Had an amazing weekend and 99% sure I'll be going back next year, such a special event.   I had sore quads from mile 24, the section from 24 to 26 is downhill and they were sore then, that's due to my lack of hill training so I knew that post race I would suffer from DOMS in my quads which indeed I have.  Wasn't able to do a recovery run either yesterday as my shoes were still soaking wet and didn't have a spare pair with me.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, just from his Facebook he said that he wondered if he tapered too much, and at 5 miles he was already struggling. Then it got worse with the heat, had to walk a fair bit, got pushed on by a club mate, but was very hot and was cramping with suspected heat stroke. So not great!!

Glad you got back ok. 

I've done another short run here in Sheffield, which although not especially scenic was ok. I've got a route lined up tomorrow if I get time, which includes a park. 

Regarding GPX, I have downloaded a free app to my watch allows you to upload or create files, and shows the route on the screen. There's no map or turn-by-turn navigation, but I think it'll be a good back up for me for LDWA events, and so don't need a handheld Garmin. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - sounds to me that he just wasn't 100% on the day and combining that with the heat it just wasn't going to happen.

That's a good option re GPX, now you'll be entering a load of LDWA events!

I'm still tired, sleep deprived, so am going to have a lazy day and watch London marathon elite races.  I did see the highlights programme on BBC 2 on Sunday night and saw my hero Kipchoge storm to the finish, he's amazing.   Great run by Vivian Cheruiyot too, always admired her quiet way of sticking to the task and running well when she was on the track.   
  • Options
    Shades- Tottaly agree with you in regards Kipchoge he's just a joy to watch on how good he is at marathons. Also watching Keitany for her struggling at the finish made many think of how bad I must look trying to finish.

Gentle 4 miles today trying to take things easy for Sunday.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    No run for me today. Woke up tired and a bit sore (probably from that hot pilates class yesterday). Didn't want to push it as most of my injuries have happened when I've tried to run while tired. I did try going back to bed but that wasn't working for me. I go to sleep just fine, but I can't seem to manage to say asleep. (sigh)
    I did do a yoga class though.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    steven - poor Keitany, she really suffered and was 10 minutes slower in the 2nd half of her race, that's often my difference in splits in a marathon and that's at my slow pace, so she must have been suffering.   But I admire Keitany for having a go, that way of running got her the world record last year.
    Mo was infuriating and I expect he's had a right bollocking from Paula Radcliffe, she was so cross with him continually messing up his drinks that she said OMG on the air and had to say a quick sorry :D   He's got a lot to learn.  Mo is a great runner but definitely not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
    I think we can all learn from Kipchoge, he stays calm and runs his planned race.

Hope you're not going to have a heatwave in Scotland this weekend.

Cal - best to rest if you're tired and sore, one is OK but both together is not so good.   Hope you've had a better sleep now.

I finally got out for my post race recovery run today. Adductor injury had gone completely, but quads are still sore which I knew they would be.  They were sore for the last 15 miles on Sunday and with some added DOMS will take another day or so to ease.  Hip flexors a little tight but that I expect is the sitting around, airport/coach etc so nothing to worry about.   Quite cold this morning with a sharp wind, lovely to see the bluebells out, they've come out in the last week when I wasn't running.   
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I'll certainly keep an eye out for localish LDWA events!  I loved the last one, and having the flexibility to do them on my own would be a good thing. 

I managed to get an extra session of snooker (they do three sessions a day in Round 1) so I saw all three yesterday. That means around 9-10hrs of snooker, so I'm seeing colours now!  One match in particular (two sessions) was fantastic, with another top seed getting knocked out. 

Not sure if the 4 of us are going to come next year, but 2 of us are thinking of it. The 4 of us do have the Masters in London in Jan though (top 16 players in one tournament). 

Haven't had a chance to run this morning. Sitting down for 9hrs in quite small seats is tiring!!  We have the morning session today, then we'll have lunch before driving home. 
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Big G - That's not good news about your Trotter, hope he recovers well. He will surely get the result he deserves in his next attempt.

Kipchoge is the master!! He went out at 61 minute pace for half way, knowing the others would follow suit and slowly but surely he dropped them all. Ladies race was brilliant too.

6 mile recovery for me yesterday and an 11 miler today. Legs are not feeling too bad considering the mileage they have done the last few weeks.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Shades, that's interesting about Keitany - my pos split was only 5 minutes, and she's twice as fast as I am! Interestingly, I found my race video while I was looking at the official splits and OMG... I've never seen myself run before and I run like a frickin' penguin. :lol: I was convinced that last bit was a sprint, too. Oh dear god. (I'm not sure if you can view it but if you want a really good laugh, it's here: http://www.asics.com/gb/en-gb/manchester/?e=MX18M&r=9805&n=Cal+JONES&g=male&l=EN&nt_f=04:18:20.000&ct_f=13:28:15.000&ct_s1=09:09:55.000&ct_s2=11:16:41.000&ct_s3=12:10:19.000&k=commercial (link still thinks I'm a bloke...eh... and that's me in the Chasers blue and white vest and black 2XU tights).

Anyway, glad you are recovering well, Shades - good the adductor has gone quiet.
    Big G, I'm not surprised - that's like being on a longhaul flight. I think what you need is a good walk and a nice stretch before you try running.
    Steve, good recovery from you too - you must be getting used to the miles.

Taking yesterday off was a good decision. I felt much better this morning and knocked  out 10 miles a good 4 minutes quicker than the same distance on Sunday, and with fewer niggles. (Admittedly the weather was a lot fresher - sunny with a cool breeze. Shame it wasn't like that for the marathon). I was going for MP +1, which I came close to, though a few of the miles were a little quicker. I did decided to do an MP mile at mile 9 which felt much harder than that pace during Manchester. I was keeping an eye on the Garmin and seemed to be at the right pace but once I hit 9 it said 9:25. Oh well. (For the record I'm using 9:40 as MP, which is 4:15 pace).
    I'll do a shorter, easier run tomorrow and then parkrun Saturday and a long run on Sunday. That's the plan, anyway.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - as you're fairly tall those seats can't be that comfortable for you.

I'm going to post the marathon list in a minute with May races so if you let me know if you have any more I'll edit the list tomorrow.  Likewise anyone else with race entries for marathons and ultras for May.

Steve - not long until your ultra now, you've put in some good training.

Cal - yes, the video link worked.   You looked fine and running a lot more strongly than some of the others around you.   But I think it's one of those things, we are self critical at moments like that as we feel like we were sprinting with great running form  :D 

Won't be long until your next marathon either ;) 

In a mild moment of madness this morning I've entered a local 10km in July, my last 10km was 8 years ago!

Checked the forecast for this coming weekend and it's going to be cold, was hoping for a nice 15-18 degrees, looks like it will be cold (again).
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    another coffee required, can't get the list to post again :#

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

One more go and then I'll give up for today 

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Final attempt 

• Options

Steve 24 miles as a proper long run and 60 mile weeks seem so alien to me!

Iain, return the thanks, no need for marshals if there were no runners! It's a great experience and on reflection really enjoyed it and would consider doing again if I got the chance.  Well done for listening to your body and slowing down and hope recovery has gone well.

Shades any reason for the switch between saucony and brooks shoes? 8 years since your last 10k? blimey, you'll probably do this one and love it! I'm not a fan of 10ks either far too much discomfort for too long a time, but managed about 7 in the last 8 years also my pb is a long way off so the motivation isn't there.

Big G - whats the app called, could be useful if I ever get into LDWA as my navigation skills are crap. Hope you enjoyed the snooker used to watch it on the box as a kid, cant remember the last time I saw any.

Cal - nowt guilty about a rest day, still soon after Manchester, seems it paid off on your next run.  You looked strong on the video, I hate watching myself run everyone around me is so leaner than me, makes me look even worse however love watching my finish and emotion.

just 5 miles recovery on Monday, 2km on treadmill yesterday before some gym work and 12.5 miles off road commute to work today.  Planning on recce the 1st 25 miles of NDW and if have the energy after will climb up the 275 stairs of boxhill (500ft+ elevation) then back down before heading home, a very slow parkrun as friend has a cake sale after followed by an easy 15 miles on sunday.

• Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Shades - That didn't want to work did it!! If you are adding ultras, you can pop me down for GU36 - 20th May.

Yeah, I feel that training has been good. Just this week to go then I start to cut back a bit on mileage. Got a 10k next weekend, but not sure what to expect there.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I have North Dorset and Milton Keynes on 5th and 6th, and then Liverpool Rock N Roll on 20th May.

Cal, good video.  I looked bloody awful after Great Welsh, and I too thought I was running quickly!  
    http://dbmaxresults.co.uk/MyResults.aspx?CId=16421&RId=2207&EId=1&AId=242667&YT=1

Robert, it's an app called dwMap.  I just have the free version or you can pay for other features, but I think just for a backup the free version will work for me.  You basically import (or create your own) GPX files on the associated website and if you have a few files, you select an "active" file on the website (you can't do this within the app on the watch).  Then, when the watch syncs with Garmin Connect, it shows the active GPX on the watch within the app, and you can zoom in or zoom out of the route as you run.  I tried it briefly in Sheffield and it seemed to work fine.
    https://apps.garmin.com/en-NZ/apps/2750f280-82f4-4f21-a32c-57acc7ce4870
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I guess the video bits at 19 miles and the finish show me when I'm knackered and my form's gone to hell but, whilst I knew I was a shuffler, I didn't realise quite how bad it was. :lol:
    Shades, better luck next time. :lol:
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Thought you had the spreadsheet thing sorted out  :D
    10k,didn't think I'd hear you racing that distance.
    Big G-Hope you're legs don't seize up after all that sitting.
    Cal-Ive only seen myself running a couple of times and I had similar feelings after seeing it.
    No running since Saturday and went to a 4.5 mile club race tonight,probably a mistake to be honest but it was the last borders league race.Planned to go at HM pace to see how it felt,but lost track and was too fast and paid for it the last 2 miles when my Achilles really felt it,hobbled over the line regretting racing.Overall time was quicker than planned HM pace but it hurt at the end.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Robert - I'm a bit of a shoe junkie, read lots of reviews and keep a wide selection of shoes for training, anything up to 20 pairs.   Picked up a pair of Guides at a good price after reading rave reviews and loved them so much from the first run that for the first time in 15+ years actually considered using them for racing and I think the Guide is a better shoe for me.  I still have some Adrenalines which I use for training.

Sounds like you have a busy weekend planned, good to see there's cake in there though ;) 

Steve - your Guernsey Ultra is already on the spreadsheet :)

Big  G - thanks, I had all except MK, think you decided later on that one.

Ian5 - there's no problem with the spreadsheet.   The problem is this bloody website  :#  when I go to paste it on here I get an error message that the post is several thousand characters too long, but one week it will be fine and the next week it won't work, and I'm only selecting the data I need not unnecessary rows or columns.  Last time I had the same problem I pasted it onto word then OneNote and could paste from there but I had to mess around with it for ages.   I will try again later.

Ouch, I bet that you're sore today. 

Short run for me today, legs still don't have their bounce back but getting there.   Unfortunately still have some DOMS in my quads but my right quad now has a significant pain, more than DOMS, sore on stretching too so looks like I have a niggle there :s    Not happy to run a marathon with that pain so hoping it clears up in the next 2 days.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I see more 2019 flights released by EasyJet today, so you'll be busy ;)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Still won't work, I'm going to split the list into completed races and future races.          

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    20-Jan Plym Trail Big G 04:02:50  
    20-Jan Plym Trail Jelly 04:04:54 PB  :)
    20-Jan Plym Trail Keith 05:57:28  
    21-Jan Gran Canaria Ian 03:43:30  
    25-Feb Malta Big G 03:19:28 PB  :)
    11-Mar Barcelona Big G 03:30:44  
    25-Mar Devon Dumpling Jelly 06:59:00  
    25-Mar Devon Dumpling Big G 06:59:00  
    28-Mar Dinton 6 hr Challenge Big G 33 miles PB  :)
    31-Mar Born to Run Ultra Shades 09:42:20 PB  :)
    08-Apr Taunton Marathon Shades 04:59:19  
    08-Apr Manchester Marathon Cal 04:18:21 PB  :)
    08-Apr Manchester Marathon Robert 03:32:29 PB  :)
    15-Apr Brighton Marathon OnTheBeach 04:09:57 PB  :)
    15-Apr Brighton Marathon Louey 04:04:59  
    15-Apr Great Welsh Marathon  Big G 03:58:19  
    22-Apr London Marathon Iain Love 03:32:35  
    22-Apr Connemara Ultra Shades 08:31:10  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    29-Apr Stirling Marathon steven  
    29-Apr Newport Marathon Shades  
    06-May North Dorset Marathon Shades  
    06-May North Dorset Marathon Big G  
    07-May Milton Keynes Big G  
    12-May Marathon de Blaye mamafox  
    13-May Hereford Marathon Shades  
    19-May NDW 50 Robert  
    20-May Guernsey Ultra Steve  
    20-May Liverpool Rock & Roll Marathon Cal  
    20-May Liverpool Rock & Roll Marathon Big G  
    20-May Worcester Marathon Shades  
    27-May Dorchester Marathon Shades  

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Can't wait until next week when I have to go through all that again.   Sorry about all the big white spaces, can't seem to delete them when it goes wrong.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, after much umming and ahhing, and a fair amount of time spent researching(!), I've booked that San Sebastian one.  Out of the ones I looked at, it's the one that really caught my eye, so I'm already very much looking forward to it.  The last time easyJet released Bristol flights, they released Bilbao flights a few hours after some of the other flights, which is why I didn't see it initially, but it's all booked now.  I got the flights for under £42 return so I'm really pleased and as I've heard accommodation shoots up in price, I've booked that too.  That's this November (just before my birthday), and then next Spring I strongly suspect it will be Rotterdam (I've booked refundable accommodation), with a slight chance that I may do Malta again if I can get a good deal, but that will depend on funds.  It does mean that I can't do Barca with my club, so although it's a fantastic event I definitely won't be doing it again next year.

I'm looking forward to Liverpool now.  You may remember that I organised a weekend away with that WAY group, and there are a few of us going.  I think I'm the only one doing the marathon, but a few are doing the Half or other distances, and a couple have used it as an event to focus on to get into running, which is fantastic.  Also, a few non-runners are going up too, so it should be a good weekend - we're doing the John Lennon exhibition plus the Terracotta army exhibition, so I'm looking forward to it, and planning to catch up with Ian too.  I've booked an alcohol-free restaurant for the Saturday night with the WAY lot, and I know a couple of Trotters are going up too (Fizz and her husband) so we may meet up on the Sunday after the race, but we'll see how that goes.  RK was planning on doing it for his 99th, but I think he's changed his plans now.  His cousin ran with us at the LDWA event we did, and he mentioned that RK has changed the plan for his last 10 a number of times, so I'm not sure if he's got an injury or something...don't know.

I'm a member of an "Aspiring 100MC" Facebook group and there are lots of new members joining all the time, and a lot of the regulars on there always talk about Enigma, SNV and Phoenix events, and I think it can come across that they're the only way to get into the club in terms of building the numbers.  I always feel I want to say that there are other ways of getting into the club (i.e, by doing more exciting events!), but I haven't found a nice way of saying it yet, mainly as those RDs are on the group too.  There is a guideline that there is supposed to be no promotion of events on that group and although the RDs do (broadly) stick to that, I think the fact they're on there and their events get mentioned a lot, does promote their events.  There is a "Medal Monday" feature on the group, and it's nearly always full of people with their Enigma, SVN and Phoenix events medals, or at least that's what it seems.  Don't get me wrong; I've done a handful of Enigma events and I can (kind of) see the attraction, but there are lots of other - arguably better, and cheaper - events too!  When LDWA events get mentioned I have started to pipe up by saying that, although I've only done one, they're really great value, so at least that's something to show new members that there are other ways of going about getting the numbers up.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I thought you'd go for that San Sebastian race :)   So you've been busy booking hotels/flights etc.  I'm sure there'll be plenty more club trips you can go on, although as they're so boozy you might not be so keen in the future.

That's great that so many of the WAY group are into running too and Liverpool R & R is an ideal race for those in the group that are new to races too.   Interesting booking an alcohol free restaurant.  Fizz and OH went up last year and did the marathon in fancy dress.

Wonder why RK has changed his last few marathons around, seems an odd thing to do.

Re the 'tin pot' events being so popular with the wannabees, that's such a shame.   There's no achievement in doing the same of those all the time, no effort, no planning required and they can all tell each other how well they are doing.   I can see the attraction on doing a few to top up numbers but nothing else.   Many of these wannabees don't actually seem  very interesting in running.  
    Then they join Travis's club and pay £40 for a hideous shirt, one guy from 100MC made me laugh saying those shirts look like a bag of crisps :D , which they do.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Big G - I know someone who did San Sebastian, he was impressed with it and PB'd there! Rotterdam appeals as I've heard it's a fast course!

8 miles with 2 at LT today, those 2 came out at 6:24/6:31, so in the right area.