Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Jelly, sorry about your injury woes. I know how frustrating that is.
    Ian - good run, how was the achilles?
    Big G - not surprised you're tired - I did a grand total of 6 miles following Manchester (but I did get sick).

Yesterday was a rest day for me. Despite the sun, I wasn't even tempted. In addition to the 7 miles I did on Thursday morning, I went to Hot Inferno Pilates in the afternoon for the first time in a few weeks and holy hell am I sore! The regular instructor is on holiday so it was a different lady teaching and she made us do a lot more sets - 8 for most exercises, including press-ups. Yeah, upper body is trashed.
    I did go for a walk, though.

Today I hit parkrun - just my local, as I know I'm not in PB shape and I also had a terrible night's sleep (probably because it was too warm). It was still warm today although not as bad as during the week. Even so I decided against debuting my Manchester shirt in favour of a vest. My official time was 27:06 (a second more than my Garmin made it) which is OK for two weeks post-marathon. Happy with the mile splits which were 8:50/8:46/8:43 (my pace for the last bit was apparently 7:39). I didn't go eyeballs out but I did push towards the end, so it was my hardest run since the marathon. Only age group third, though (grumble) but that is my fastest time at Tooting since I hit 50.

The new Clapham Common parkrun doesn't seem to have affected our numbers much - we still had 612 and they're already over 500 in their 5th week. Yikes!
    I was interested to see how Victoria Docks would fare (given it's right next to Excel). They usually get under 100 and it was 252 today. Not really surprised.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done, Cal.  Sounds like you had a good run.  Are you going to spectate London Marathon tomorrow, or watch it on TV?  Yeah, one of the things I think I need to do differently is to try and do a few extra miles between marathons, as otherwise my weekly mileage does drop.  For example, in the week after Malta I only did 15 (I was just too tired to do any more) and the week after Barca I only did 22.  So 34 (plus if I go out tomorrow) is a bit of a jump, but it feels doable if I'm not worried about pace.  It does feel a balancing act between doing the mileage, trying to recover, and not being too tired though!

I've taken it easy this afternoon by walking around Paignton Zoo with a mate, and his two kids.  Carnage with the icecream :)  I got two free tickets (I can get in for free when I like anyway) so gave them to him to use and we had a nice few hours up there.
  • Options
    Good luck and safe running to all who have events this weekend. Hopefully London marathon won't be to hot for whoever is running it.

10.5 miles today in some glorius weather but typical for our weather up here it's forecast for rain most of tomorrow 
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Just popping in to wish all racers good luck for tomorrow. 

Hope you're enjoying Galway Shades.

Thanks for the news on SK and Mowzer - I was starting to get a bit worried!

Jelly - Keep going.. I have spent a considerable time on the thread injury bench over the last year so you have my sympathies. It will pass.

Cal - Blimey, you do have a lot of people running those parkruns/Park runs/Parkruns (Can never remember how to spell that)
    Great result for you so soon after Manchester.

Big G - Fab photos. You live in a lovely part of the world! (Apart from those steps)

No running for me today for one reason or another. Not too bothered as have run every day this week and will, in THEORY, have fresh legs for tomorrow's long run. We will see  :|
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-The achilles is pretty tender at the minute,generally is after a pacy run so hoping it eases tomorrow.
    That's a massive number for parkrun,we had over 400 today and it was just about the most really as there's some narrow paths.
    Big G-Sounds like you had a nice day,and that's really good mileage the week after a race.
    Mama-Good luck with the long run,a days rest will do you well.
    Steven-Looking good for your race now,is it next weekend?
  • Options
    LoueyLouey ✭✭✭
    Popping in to wish Iain and Shades the very best of luck tomorrow. I hope the weather gods are kind to you both and you have good runs. I will be watching VLM on tv tomorrow and tracking people on the app. Those of you who were asking about SK - she isn't running it but one of her kids (the youngest I think) is running the mini-marathon having been selected for his borough. So she will be there watching it.

Good luck for your long run tomorrow MF.

I had to get up early for a delivery at our new house this morning (7-9am  :o) and decided that if they turned up before 8.30 I would go to parkrun. They arrived at 7.40 (our new neighbours must love us...). So for a change I went to parkrun on my own, which meant I actually ran at my pace and not one of the kids. Very happy with a shiny new PB over 24.19, less than a week after Brighton. I think I've recovered ok. Was 1st in age category too. 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Big G - telly. I want to get a longish run done. Some peeps from my club are planning to run up there, have breakfast at a 'spoons and then cheer, which sounds fun, but I don't especially want to stand around in sweaty gear on a warm day when I'm tired. Plus, I need to watch my spending - still no tenant (I found out why - the previous tenants had been smoking in the place and the smell put some people off. Needless to say they won't be getting much of their desposit back as I've had to get it repainted).

Ian - it's normal now, which is a pity as Tooting's paths are too narrow to accomodate that many without congestion. We were getting over 800 during the January rush and the funnel was so backed up you couldn't even run all the way to the finish. Really, we need 300 or fewer to make it a viable PB course, which is why I'm doing more tourism now.

Well done on the PB, Louey!

MF, hope your run goes well. And massive luck to Shades and Iain. Go get 'em, tigers.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Early 10 miles today and it was already warm and very humid after last night's rain. I averaged a sedate 10:52 but I wasn't having to hold myself back as I often do. All my niggles came out to play, including an achey lower back (not sure where that came from). Of most concern is that left foot, which hasn't twinged on a run before, only while walking around. Not sure what's going on with it.  I've done 31 miles this week - perhaps that was a bit much at this stage, I don't know.
    Anyway, I don't envy anyone running London today (not sure what the weather's like where you are, Shades, but it's very warm here).
    Right, off to watch it on the telly!
  • Options
    LoueyLouey ✭✭✭
    Well done Cal on getting the miles done. You may just be getting niggles after a high mileage week. It was getting very humid and close yesterday afternoon - I don't envy people running a marathon in it. It was apparently 20 degrees in London at 9.15am.

I am watching from my armchair, having just entered Brighton for next year. 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I've not chosen a marathon for next year yet although I'm considering Vienna. Manchester's a great race but I've done it three times now and those suburban streets are getting a bit boring. I've heard they may change the route to incorporate more of the city centre, so may reconsider if that's the case.
    Mo's not doing very well with his bottles is he? (And lord knows why he's wearing arm warmers in this heat).
  • Options
    LoueyLouey ✭✭✭
    No he's having a bit of a nightmare at the drinks stations. He will have learnt a valuable lesson in making sure your bottle is very distinctive. On the plus side, those arm warmers make him very easy to spot! 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    First time I've seen him look tired. That lovely stride of his is starting to fall apart a bit.
    Great race from Lily Partridge in the ladies' race.
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Thank you mamafox, we said if he had a minion bottle it would of been easy to see. Lol  organised breakfast and tv at Club, was lovely chatting and tracking the runners. Tv coverage was a little annoying at times. 
  • Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Afternoon folks... On the train after running London and slightly licking my wounds a bit ..Didn't have the best race due to the heat,  had to seek medical attention just after 10 miles where they tried to cool me down ana slow my heart rate. .I carried on but realised target time wasn't on so I tried to just enjoy it as best I can. Crossed the line in 3:32:35. Certainly not my best but everyone struggled... I'll write a full report later.. 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done for finishing, Iain. I know most people didn't achieve the times they wanted - conditions were tough. Most of the peeps in my club were well outside their targets. Now go put your feet up.
  • Options
    Ian- yes next Sunday is my marathon I'm looking forward to it.
    Iain-  still a good time Iain especially in those conditions. Watched it on TV and have to say Kipchoge is something special.

5 miles today just got out and then the heavens opened. Looks like the sunny weather has deserted us up here.
  • Options
    LoueyLouey ✭✭✭
    Iain - I take my hat off to you for running the time you did in that heat. I did wonder what had happened but you did the sensible thing in the circumstances and slowed down. It was not a day to be running PBs. Unless you are Mo Farah of course. You will probably feel differently tomorrow. 
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    That didn't sound easy Iain - well done for keeping going. Hope you're recovering now.
  • Options
    tiny tiatiny tia ✭✭✭
    Well done Ian..tough day a tough the office, warm weather is not an easy one to deal with at distance running
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Lily partridge had a great race.Kipchoge was the steamroller he always is and Mo did better than I expected.
    The weather reminded me of GC,but a few less people at my race.
    No running today,but started a purge to lose half a stone over the next few months so I'm at a better weight for chester.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Iain-that must have been a really tough run, you did so well to finish at all. Hope you're feeling OK now. I hope you get a chance to use that good training to use at another race soon.

Well Connemara Ultra was going to be either kill or cure for my injury and I'm delighted to say it looks like injury is cured.  Was expecting some discomfort but nothing at all. But it was a tough day, would have loved London weather but we hsd Connemara's four seasons in one day. Sun, strong winds snd rain.  Got wet through 3 times and the last 4 miles was so hard into gale force wind and heavy rain but I eventually finished in 8:30 a PW but I was just pleased to finish especially as I just haven't done the training.  Having a great weekend. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Really happy that you seem to have gotten over the injury,despite the PW the main thing is you can now start training properly if you're fit again.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Bad luck Iain. Similar to Cal, I think virtually everyone I know was a fair bit slower than they'd usually expect. Our young Trotter who was hoping for 2:20-ish (he was hoping to break the British Junior record) was about an hour slower than that, sadly. Sounds like he had an absolute shocker and he's been a bit unwell afterwards too, but he says he learned a lot. He must be gutted as he's dedicated his life to this for months. 

Shades, great news about the injury, and also that you finished the race despite the lack of training. 

I got here to Sheffield yesterday - it was a good drive up. I'm going for a short run soon, and then we've got two sessions of snooker today, two tomorrow and then one on Wednesday, before we drive back. 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I don't think London is good for a PB. Too crowded and the weather is too unpredictable. Manchester's the place for spring PBs. :wink:

Shades, I'm very glad your niggle didn't bother you. I don't think I'd enjoy being out for 8 hours in those conditions - you must be tough!

Ian - I need to drop half a stone too. I let my weight creep up after Manchester (to be honest it probably started creeping the week before). It's not as if I was stuffing my face although there may have been a couple of praline Magnums... It's just I wasn't doing the training.

I'm not running today but I did wake up far too early (4ish) and was too hot to do more than lie in bed feeling grumpy, so I went to the 6:30am hot pilates class. It kicked my butt (I'm still a bit sore from Thursday's) but I feel quite chilled out now.
    Fortunately my left foot feels OK today. I think my feet just took a massive pounding in Manchester and are just a bit grouchy, but I'm going to be mindful of 'em as I started getting odd pains in that foot last year. I did notice my left calf was horrendously tight, though. Probably linked (especially as that's the side with the bum hamstring tendon).
  • Options

Ian congrats on finishing after having to get aid.  It was relentless and I was only marshaling.

Shades, always good to put injuries to rest! hope it stays at bay

Cal and Louey, great parkruns, I too find post mara you have the training and run without pressure, unfortunately not been able to test this as ramping up the miles for my 50miler in 4 weeks.

Big G always good to incorp some hills when training for an ultra, haven't really got anything decent round me in Hertford to train on so try and just run off road where I can.

Saturday had an early start (5.30am alarm) go the train to London then down to Box Hill arrived at 8.20 and the sun was out already, met with someone who is also doing NDW50 from twitter and navigated our way up and down the downs (miles 24-42ish) 19 miles in total, >3000ft elevation 3hr20ish.  Was getting very warm at midday when we were sensible and bailed, being sensible only 2 weeks post Manchester mara and pal Richard who was running low of fluids.

Had a trip to the expo, bit of a waste of time but entered a few comps, bought a few bits and bobs.

Sunday

I marshaled at mile 17, was epic, challenging, scary and rewarding.  Dealing with angry pedestrians trying to cross and explaining that 40,000 runners were running and impossible to get across, some were okay, some complete arseholes, just up the road from me people were crossing the road by asda with a full trolley of shopping! Seeing the elites was epic, really didn't expect Mo to be so close to the lead pace and kipchorge at 17 miles but he drifted soon after.  Scary was dealing with a guy who needed urgent medical attention, he couldn't stand but wanted to carry on, (prob 2.45 pace) managed to get him off the course and have a sit down and got medical attention for him and he pulled out. Really enjoyed speaking with runners, giving them lil snippets of advice when they stopped by, some just taking it easy and looking to sit down for a min, some stretching out cramps.  Enjoyed watching it on iplayer last night.

My thoughts on the race:

Mo- had a great race, only he knows if that was the best he could have done,  The drinks mix up surely is all down to mo, and I feel sorry for whoevers drink he picked up and threw as they may not have got their drink.

Kipchorge - no surprises he won, great pace on the 1st half and on a cooler day would the record have gone?

Keitany- she didn't look great at mile 17, was 10 meters behind the pacers, I assumed they were still at 2.15 pace but they had slowed down, watching her finish was weird, she'd blown as seemed about 8 min mile pace!

Partridge - great race, wanted sub 2.30 got it! shame the London Marathon on the BBC don't feature or even mention the British women until mile 20.

Hope everyone else had a good weekend! Back to work today for a rest, got Friday off to run 1st half of NDW50.    

• Options
    Iain - Huge congratulations on finishing in 3:32. Impressive time on it's own let alone stopping for aid and having to run during the first hot weekend of the year. Hope you are feeling ok today.

Shades - excellent news on completing your ultra and that your injury has cleared up. I couldn't imagine running for that length of time, however it is something I aspire to. So maybe one year. Well Done!

On a separate note: Would you be able to put together a new plan for me? Ready to get back into training this week but could do with something to follow to motivate me. Events to plan for; 14 mile trail race 12/05 and southdowns marathon 16/06. Want to keep my distance up and include trail/hill runs. Might even swap one week night for spin/gym work to prep me for the hills. Any advise greatly appreciated.

Robert - Great to hear a different perspective of the marathon. You must have good patience to put up with rude people trying to cross, especially when focusing on runners that were in need of help at that stage.

No running for me this weekend, took the whole weekend off and enjoyed a few too many beers and junk food. Enjoyed watching London on the TV, I cannot get my head around the pace the elites went out at. Absolutely insanely fast. 

Hi to everyone else  :)
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nice one, Robert. How did you get to volunteer?
    I saw Mo, Hawkins and Wanjiru whizz past when I did The Big Half (they were running on the other side of the road in the opposite direction, having started a bit earlier). That was pretty cool. Those guys run marathons faster than I can sprint.
    Keitany blew up for sure, but her pacers didn't really help her. They should have been just in front, giving her a chance to slipstream a bit. It was a bit rough that they just left her and went with the winner once she'd gone past. But I'm not sure what orders they had.
    I also have no idea why Mo wore arm warmers. I understand him wearing them for the Big Half, but on a hot day?
    Incidentally, Lily Partridge had the same outfit (crop top and tiny knickers) on for the Big Half and that was when the weather was in Beast mode! I'm not sure how the women can wear those little pants in the first place - if that were me I'd be tugging them out of my arse crack every three strides. :lol:
  • Options
    Robert OHaraRobert OHara ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

onthebeach, love the London marathon, actually enjoy watching any marathon right across the field from Elite to 8 hours, a few beers are well deserved I'm sure?!?

Cal - my local club put it out to my local parkrun, I'm closely associated to the club as well so didn't feel an outsider, knew a lot of them and have marshaled for their local 10 miler/ 10k race in the past. Forgot to add earlier , Vienna looks great and a nice course, pal from twitter did it and had a bit of a gripe over organization, people didn't have trackers/ shirts/ medals.  I think they were compression on mo's arms? seemed to work okay for him, u talking about lily and her mini's there were a couple of larger ladies running in padded out bras and knickers fantastic stuff... just another one of those things you see on a marathon course.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, I think probably London can be a PB course if you're in a pen that's further forward, to avoid congestion. It's flat and I know a few from my club have PBs there from previous years and say there's no better feeling in running than running down the Mall knowing you're on for a PB.

Robert, well done for volunteering. These events couldn't be put on without the helpers. 

I did a short run this morning (3.5 miles), which was very disjointed with out-and-backs etc, but I enjoyed it. I think I've found a better route (cycle path) if I want to do another run whilst here. 
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Iain - Great time in the conditions I know not many got the times they were after.
    Shades - Congrats on the finish!! Good to see it's cure rather than kill!!

24 miles for me on Saturday, 6m easy then 2m MP, did that 3 times. Also put in a 0.5m walking break every 10 miles. Worked out to 8:06 average and MP miles were 6:57/6:48, 6:50/6:50, 6:51/7:02. Last 2 MP miles were at miles 23/24 of the run and the last one was a struggle.
    13 miles at 8:25s on Sunday, nice and easy. Another 60 mile week done.