Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I'll have a look at the costs of getting a bag on the hold.  It does make sense, I agree.

Parkrun went as well as I could have hoped for today.  I walked the 1.5 miles there, started at the back and went around in about 31-mins I think (10min/miles roughly).  Nice and steady and I didn't feel anything, except towards the end some mild discomfort - not a stabbing pain, but the dull ache I sometimes get.  I did walk a bit on the last mile which is off-road, but that's because I didn't want to risk falling/tripping and jarring the shoulder, not because of any pain.  I'd promised myself that no matter how well the run went, I'd still only walk back and not run back, so that's what I did - I didn't see any point in pushing it at this stage.

It was strange though.  Do you know sometimes after injury, you do the first run back and have a kind of elated feeling - just really glad to be back out there.  I didn't have that today as I think I was so hyper-aware of any twinges that is all I was focussing on.  Maybe that means I'm not quite ready as if I was fully fit it wouldn't have been on my mind so much I don't think.  I've definitely made the right decision not to do Windermere I feel, although it was 50/50 at one point - I was reluctant to cancel the hotel last Saturday.

I'll see how it is throughout the day and tomorrow but as I type this I'm hopeful that there won't be any flare ups.  Physio has recommended not running tomorrow, so even if I feel I can run I'll just do a longish walk instead (say 6-8 miles).  Then if I feel I can run on Monday I may do a 3-4-miler on grass to avoid any jolting up through the body, but I'll just have to see how it is before deciding.  One step at a time and all that.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Big G - as long as you book the bag online, prices double if you do it at the airport.

That's a really good start back to your running.   I don't think you'll get that elation feeling until you're able to run without worrying that your shoulder might hurt, it will just happen one day.

Windermere next year then for you, it's not just the running but there's a lot of driving and that might just have been too much for you right now.

I wouldn't worry about running on grass, these days our shoes are so well cushioned it makes no difference and at least tarmac is safer as smoother, more chance of tripping on grass/off road even with slightly uneven surface.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, Windermere next year, all being well.  I was looking forward to that one the most, out of the ones I've missed so far.  It's about 4 weeks until my next marathon and even if I have to do a fair bit of walking on that one, I'm hopeful I'll get around it and make the cut off.  Trying not to look too far ahead though!

I did feel a bit bad on parkrun today.  I was pretty consistent all the way and running an easy pace for me, but I did notice a few people glaring at me if they were struggling when I went past them.  It sounds patronising saying "well done, keep going!" as I just jog past whilst they're struggling, but I didn't know what else to say!  

Maybe on Monday I'll just walk to Paignton Green and do 3 or 4 laps around there then.  It's flat and earlyish in the morning there are no road crossings or people etc to worry about.  Or if I drive to work with OH, there's a park about 1 mile away which I may run around instead.  That has the advantage of having a very, very good coffee shop nearby!
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    How did you get on, Big G?
    Good luck to everyone racing this weekend.

Hanworth parkrun today - a new parkrun in West London (today was its third event). A mixture of grass, trail and hard path but nice and flat. Weather was a bit humid so I paid for my fast opening mile (7:45.5) and came in at 25:11. As it's a fairly small parkrun I finished as 6th lady and am now the VW50 course record holder. That probably won't last long, but I'll take it!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, I wrote a bit more about it further up, but it went well.  I walked there and back, plus ran around the parkrun very steadily and it was okay.  Well done on the record!!
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ah, yes. Well that's great you were able to run most of the way - very positive!

I've checked my calendar and looks like I will hit my 100th parkrun in September (barring injuries etc) but will also hit my 50th different event in July!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Shades, I just checked my flights and have already got checked in luggage which is good. I’m flying with Norwegian and their cabin bag policy only allowed very small bags, so I remembered that I booked a checked bag anyway. 

Cal, 50 locations is great. I read somewhere that to do all the locations available in every country it would take 27 years or something. And it’s forever getting even more impossible to do them all as new events are added all the time. 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Tell me about it. I'm trying to get Lon-Done but they've added three new events already this year!
  • Options
    H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭
    Not posted for a while but usually keep up to date with the posts here.
    I'm gradually building up the long run distance (14 miles today) could probably up the distance a bit quicker as always finish feeling I could go further but being careful as would rather hold back a bit than risk injury.
    Plenty of time left to build up and do a few 20 milers before Barnstaple. My Nephew has also signed up for Barnstaple which will be his first so should be a good weekend.
    I've also joined or rather rejoined the local run club which I used to be a member of until 2005 (the year I ran my last stand alone Marathon but did one as part of Ironman in 2013)
    Loving my running at the moment and noticing a gradual improvement in my pace now that I'm regularly running again.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades/Keith -good luck for tomorrow.
    I've just started following Johnny Mellir on strava,and watching his paces,his easy runs are all around 7 m/m,ridiculously fast for us but 2 min/mile slower than MP.There's guys I see saying easy runs at not much slower than that pace.I'm actually wondering if that's too slow for Johnny but who am I to argue with a 2:12 guy.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, YT isn’t in that league obviously but his long runs are about 7:45-8s. Makes me smile when someone says they’ve been for ‘a slow plod’ and it’s their HMP!

Well done Honk. Great you’re enjoying your running. Are you hoping to run with your nephew then or are you both doing your own thing?
  • Options
    Webby4216Webby4216 ✭✭✭
    Big G - good to hear park run went well today, hope the shoulder feels OK tomorrow

Cal - well done on the record!

Tried a different park run today with a friend. Hackney Marshes. A lot busier then my local one but I enjoyed it. Ran from my friends house to park run and then back again for a total of 11 miles today. Used the park run as a tempo session in between which I enjoyed doing
  • Options
    H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭
    Both do our own thing, but good to have another friendly face on the course, hope to meet you before the start too Shades. 
    Hopefully I will have a better idea of a pace to aim for before then.

• Options
    Big G I'm not surprised many don't so their exercises, tbh wouldn't surprise me if most don't.  Well done on the parkrun, I've experienced similar at Parkrun where I'm running slower I find myself overtaking on the inclines where the others are struggling, always give them a well done, keep going too.  I don't know if it's patronising but I hope it gives them the support. 

Cal well done on the course record! Tell everyone you can for as long as you can! Was you their 1st record or did you beat someone before?

Ian bad luck using not entered as an excuse! I've still got my place haha!  Did laugh at a facebook post, someone said i've not had an email, they came back with you didn't put your email address on the entry form.

Honk good to see you're building the miles nicely.

Webby, well done on the run, enjoy using parkrun as a middle tempo run too.

Shades / keith hope all goes well today at your races.

An eventful couple of days, Elle's xmas pressie Friday night Olly Murs at the O2 meant we didn't get hope till 1.30am and had to up be at 6am to marshall NDW50. MAde our way to Newlands corner, great time supporting the runners though, then had a 40 mile drive to the end where supported runners and directed them for the finish.  Helped a couple of running pacing a final sprint to reach sub 10 hour finishes, one of which got in 9.59.57.

One person got timed out but did a Gary Robbins came in from the wrong direction so wouldnt have counted.  

wasn't all great, a supporter asked if they could drop their bags by us, go get their car and pick them up to which we didn't have a problem, with that they have picked up our bags which had my mates car keys, kindle, money/ wallet my warm clothes and waterproof coat. 

Managed to get a lift back home with James Elson the RD the guy who ran Barkley this year, had a good chat with him about the event, about the mind games, how it sucks you in, how we felt it may ruin Gary Robbins eventually.  Was great insight to hear his thoughts about centurion events and why he does things his way.  

Hopefully a genuine mistake and we will be reunited with our stuff, my mate has lost alot more than I have. 

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, interesting comment there about how Barkley may ruin Gary Robbins eventually.  I don't know if it's just because I'm looking for things about this fascinating race, but on the Laz podcasts and also the John Kelly podcast, they were both asked about Gary Robbins and if he'll come back and complete it.  I just felt they both paused before saying something like "he needs to figure out what he wants to do".  I felt they knew something about him that they didn't want to say in an interview.  Maybe I'm totally wrong, as I'm aware I'm kind of looking into things about this race, which may well not be there!  I have to say when I saw the documentary and I saw his interview at the end (maybe 3 or 4 months after the race - can't remember now) I thought he looked really determined, but kind of haunted at the same time.  Who knows.

Sorry to hear about the missing stuff.  Hopefully you'll get it all back.

I saw something on the facebook DD page where people were asking about how to pace it.  Tommo (previous winner) came on and said something like "no pounding" down the hills, which I think is good advice!  Although he did also say something about "pushing the flat bits if there are any", but I don't remember there being any!  ;)  
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Rob, it was on even 3 so I had someone to beat. It was a soft target, though - over 26 minutes. I took a minute off. I expect some sinewy supervet will smash that soon, but it's nice to have it for a little while.

Your NDW experience sounds interesting if stressful - hope you get your stuff back. I expect the runner will want their own stuff back as well.

Webby, it's hard to find a London one that isn't busy these days. Quite a few of them are too congested to get a proper run in.

H0nk, sounds like things are going well for you.

Shite run today. Should have been 10 miles. Yobs next door had an FA cup shindig and made a lot of noise (shouting, kicking a ball against the fence, the usual) so I ended up watching Eurovision as I knew I wouldn't be getting an early night.
    Didn't sleep long enough so felt groggy and tired when I woke up and decided not to go out until a bit later (11), by which time it was warm and really humid. I set off a bit too quickly and then the humidity got to me and I nearly stopped at 4 but decided to press on and do 6 so I'd hit 30 miles for the week. Achilles felt horrible. Probably should have taken a rest day instead.

• Options
    Big G James believes Robbins will keep on going back and will keep on training solely for the event. Felt he could be picking up some decent prize money all over the US but hasn't raced anything.  James said you can't train for it, you cant really prepare for the start time and the course, you cant see the trail at times, RD gives race directions, a map and written instructions but there are intentional errors in both meaning you have to follow both and remember when the map is right and when the written instructions are right.  Could be the next doc the race that broke me, i lost my wife, business, my sport... lets hope not but mental health effects everyone somehow at some scale positive or negative.

Cal the people who had our bags took their own as well. 

Thankfully they have contacted Centurion and the bags will be making their way back to us soon, I have spoken to the guy and he said how he felt so awful when he saw car keys! I joked how I felt awful for him as I could only imagine how he'd feel when he realised that he had the car keys.  Glad we can look back on it and laugh.  
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, interesting insider info there.  Is James going to try and go back then?  I don't follow that world closely at all so I hadn't heard of Gary Robbins before but John Kelly said that even before Barkley Robbins was well known/successful in the ultra world.  So makes sense that he could be earning cash elsewhere.  As well as all the variables Laz[*] puts into the race, it's the weather isn't it?  That's what caught Nicky Spinks out as it was good conditions (even possibly too warm) on the first lap, and the next lap it was snowing and she was very worried because she didn't have the right kit with her on that lap.  She didn't finish the second lap.

[*]  Can't believe I'm calling him Laz, like I know him or something!
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    She must be nearly finished with her double Paddy Buckley by now.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's a bit of luck that you'd already booked a bag in the hold.   Small cabin allowance might mean smallish plane so even more important you protect that shoulder.

Calling him Laz now ;) 

HONK - plenty of time for the longer runs, good that you're enjoying your training.   You must have influenced your nephew to run Barnstaple, I would think that's a good race to run as a first marathon.

Robert - you must be exhausted, hope you get yours and your mate's stuff back soon.   Easy mistake to make especially when everyone is tired.

Cal - sorry to hear your run today didn't go as planned, FA party lovely :# 

Well not a good race for me today.   Early start as I drove up this morning, it's 148 miles each way but only a mile off the M5 so a quick and easy journey, 2 hours each way.   Felt fine at the start but once I started to run I couldn't settle into a pace and my HR was very high.  I was feeling a bit sick too and really struggling.  I walked to get my HR down but that didn't really seem to help much.   It wasn't hot, humidity was low, temp about 17/18 so fine for me.   Then just to make matters worse my toe started to hurt and I could feel a blister forming, never ever had a problem with these shoes or socks.   I had more or less decided that I'd pull out at halfway, the full marathoners split from the half runners at 11 miles, but at 10 miles I felt a little better and when we came to the split I couldn't bring myself to head straight for the finish telling myself I could still walk the 2nd half.   I did feel better in the 2nd half and HR came down and I was able to get to the finish in 5:03, bizarrely once I felt better I never felt the blister again.   I was slow in the 2nd half but still managed to pass quite a few others in the final miles.   For the drive home I pass the lovely Gloucester Services and I'd told myself on the journey up that if I had a good run I'd reward myself with a lamb and mint pie from those Service.  So didn't even stop there on the way home, stopped at Sedgemoor for a loo stop, saw the ice cream cones being sold there and was just about to buy one but at £2.99 for a small cone with one scoop, too expensive so drove home.    I feel fine now and my legs aren't sore either.   Not good for my DD prep, but just have to hope it all comes right on the day. :/
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Sorry it didn't go so well, Shades, but that's not a bad time considering. Did you find a blister in the end?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - it's just a little hot spot on one of my smaller toes now, won't come to anything.   Must have just happened as I wasn't running in my normal way.
  • Options
    H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭
    Shame it didn't go well Shades, but good that you kept going and started to feel better.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear you had a bad race, Shades. Good news the legs feel okay though.
  • Options
    KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Sorry your race didn’t go well
    Shades :(

Its Ramadan so I’m fasting (no food or water during sunlight hours). I’ve found that with the temperate weather and a conscious effort to drink enough water at night I can run up to 9 miles with no issue. I’ve run 6 times this week :) Totalled 34 miles. Knees are a little sore so taking a break today. I’ve been running from 6:30pm to 7:30-8pm typically and breaking my fast around 8:45pm. 

Im at a conference in Barcelona this week so not sure if I’ll be able to run. Will give it a go!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rob-Unlucky on the mishap but good news you are getting them back.
    Khani-That made me check sunset times as it seemed early and I didn't realise we currently get an extra 25mins of daylight than you,but it rises at the same time.
    Shades-Bad news on the race,but you should have treated yourself to the pie for your effort alone.
    No race for us in the end today,idiot son decided to crash his car in the middle of the night so we got a call around 1am,then had to go get him,arrange pickup etc,by time we got home and settled it was around 6 and OH didn't want to race as she wasn't in a great place.No injuries thankfully so will have to see what our garage says tomorrow.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Ok so full steam for DD now,questions floating around..
    Pacing is going to be hard,I think we decided 3:40-45 at marathon,is that about 1:45/1:55 split would you say?
    As I'm going slower do i need to carb load the same as a normal marathon?
  • Options
    Big G, James is going to try as feels he can do better unsure of his chances as there are only 40 places and give 20 to 'virgins'. I was going to see if he was willing to give any tips for entry but thought I was a long way from home and didnt want to push it.

Shades bags all sorted just awaiting delivery to my mates and will get mine off him, sorry it didn't go to plan today.  Don't blame you for shunting the ice cream.  I was at the o2 on Friday, they stopped you bringing your own food and drink but happy for you to buy theirs at silly prices.

Khani, well done for doing Ramadan, when I was in Turkey last year alot of the hotel staff / tour guides etc were doing it too, pretty long hours 6am to 9pm and 40 degrees with zero water.

Made it out for a run, 7 miles 800ft elevation just done some hill repeats near me.  Foot was feeling better and in a bit of pain now but nothing too bad.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, the couple of interviews I've heard said that it's possible to find out how to enter "if you really want it".  Basically, there's a filter that stops random people entering (i.e., you can't just click on a site, and then you're in), but if someone really wants to find out how to enter, they can do....apparently!  Not because I want to enter, but I spent about a couple of hours trying to find it (plus I read that Barekly book), and I couldn't find any remote link to anything at all.  I also hadn't realised that he's got a kind of "Barkley Lite" race, to give people a taster of what it's like, which I think from memory has 500 entrants.  But he said that the "Barkley Lite" is not remotely comparable to the actual Barkley.

Khani, enjoy Barca.  If you're anywhere near the beach, it's quite a pleasant run up and down there if you get the time.

Ian, sorry to hear about your son!  I hope everything gets sorted soon.  

The first 13-miles are "relatively" okay in the fact that there's only one hill which you'll have to walk.  The rest of that section is runnable.  I'd say the lower estimate of your range would be good to aim for.  I've just checked some runners I know who are around the same pace as you and they did about 3:45-3:50 at marathon point, and around 1:45 at Half marathon.  I'm not really sure about the fuelling as I didn't get that right last year.  If I was to guess though, I'd say get to the start line feeling full (but not stuffed/bloated) and then eat more than you usually do during the race...try not to let yourself feel hungry during the race, so try and eat something before that happens.  Have you decided what food you're going to leave, and where?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Khanivore - good for you managing to run when fasting, it can't be easy.  Check it's not your shoes needing replacing that is giving you sore knees.

Did you do Gatwick Half?

Ian - well at least your son isn't injured, hope lesson learnt.   I'm not sure I'd want to race after that trauma either.

Re DD, yes re split times as you've quoted.  It's a very difficult race to pace, you really have to take it as it comes, literally, every mile, every corner you turn.

For carbo loading I would suggest you do so as much as you possibly can, even more important in an ultra such as this to be well hydrated and fuelled as best as you can.   Remember you will be out there longer than a marathon and although your net pace will be slower than your other races it will be like a massive hill/interval session so great demands on your glycogen stores to get you up the hills, even more important to fuel early and often during the race too.   I try and not look at my HR during DD as I see scarily high readings going up some of the hills which shows how hard I have to work.

Tapering naturally restores glycogen levels, I normally take a day off before a marathon, for ultras I take 2 days rest, sometimes 3 days and I run a lot less miles the few days before, just short easy runs.  For an ultra I do pay more attention to eating high carb foods, for DD on a Saturday, then I target carbs from Wednesday morning to Friday lunchtime, Friday night I eat what I fancy.

Robert - I bet the prices at the O2 were twice the motorway services

Well done getting out for a hilly run, you must have been a bit tired after your busy weekend.

5 mile recovery run done, legs feel surprisingly good.  My toe is a bit sore, I think it would have been fine but when walking round in bare feet last night I accidently kicked a cast iron door stop with that toe, there was a lot of swearing. :'(