Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Keith/Big G-Well done on day 2.
    Shades-Nice day to be marshalling.
    Cal-Great that you were thinking about running today,rest day will do you good.
    Nearly went out for another run yesterday evening as I felt good,but decided against it as I've got quite a bit planned for this week,running 6 days with 2 races in there.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - sorry xpost earlier and I missed seeing your post.

I had a quick look at the options on my watch where you set up the display fields and a might be a case of trial and error to see if one of the pace fields is average speed per lap. Some of the wording of the fields I find a little confusing.

Re your race on Wednesday evening, normally I would have said do the 10k but as you'll be running the 3 miles there and then 3 miles back maybe the 5k is a better option as it's in the evening 12 miles would be quite a lot as you are usually a morning runner.  I'd run the 5k however you feel at the time.

Ian - you're loving this extra mileage!  I know you've got a 5k this week, what's the other race?

I'll be adding the September marathons and ultras to the list on Wednesday if everyone could let me know their race plans please.  I expect Big G has a few lined up.  ;)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, three for me in September.
    7th September.  City to Sea
    12th September.  Running Miles - Kings of the Castle
    29th September.  Berlin

7th I have a goal in mind, but it's obviously not a PB course and is dependent on conditions/terrain (anything under 5hrs would be a good result for me, but if it's wet/muddy then that goal will go out the window).  12th will just be an easy-ish one.

I've got a Half on 1st September which I'll be hoping to use as the basis of what pace to go for in Berlin.  Anything near 1:35ish and I'll have a crack at 3:30, but if it doesn't go to plan (as per a couple of previous Halfs!) I may have to be realistic and reign back my initial goal a bit for Berlin.  I can't keep making excuses for "disappointing" Halfs, as it may just be that is where my pace is at the moment.  We'll see :)  
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Back on the list  :)
    29th september Berlin.
    Shades-My other race is a 20 mile next sunday,there was 2 to choose from so I went with the one with the closest profile to Berlin ie flat.
    I am loving the higher mileage,as it's all easy it seems fine,also I'm regularly 6lbs lighter than I was a couple of months ago which I wasnt expecting but is a massive bonus.
  • Options
    H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭
    Yay, nearly time to be on the list, must be getting close, 29 SEP Barnstaple Marathon.
    It's been so long since I've done a race of any distance that I don't have much idea of a time in mind, just after a positive experience really and prove to myself I can still do it. I'm considering setting off at either 4 hrs 30 pace or 4:45 and seeing how it goes.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I thought I hadn't been on the list much this year,but there has only been Feb,mar and august I wasnt on it,with probably december to also go on.
    8 miles after work,a little slower than usual but to be expected after yesterday.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Big G - I'm sure you could do C2S in sub 5, weather permitting of course.

Your race on the 12th, is that a different course to Dorney Lake?

Weather is due to cool for next weekend, which should be better conditions than we had at Stur Half.

Ian - the weeks are galloping by so fast I didn't realise the 20 miler was this coming weekend, should be cooler for you too.   Have you done a 20 mile race before?

Well done on the weight loss, were you trying to lose weight or was it due to your higher mileage?  Doing doubles can certainly fire up the metabolism too.

Perhaps you'll have to find a marathon to do every month, I feel slightly left out when I'm not on the list too.

HONK - you're on the list  :) It must be hard to know/decide what pace to do on race day but you're obviously experienced enough to be able to judge on the day.   As you say a positive experience is the most important thing.   Have you done any shorter races recently?

7 miles this morning, warmish and very humid, I knew rain was due and 2 miles into my run it started to rain and it was lovely cool rain with no wind.   Most enjoyable run  :)

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Honk, good to see you on the list :)

Ian, well done on the weight loss too.  That'll all help with the time goals you have.

Shades, Saturday's Half is definitely a PB course.  It's flat, so if it's cool with no wind, I'll have no excuses.  I'll have to try and think of one ;)  Seriously though, as long as the shoulder is fine, then it's a good chance to see where I am.  I also want a positive experience before Berlin so I need to think of a race strategy/pace where I get to half way feeling good and then have the confidence to push on.  I know that's not necessarily the strategy to get the best possible time, but when I've done that in the past I feel I've performed well and enjoyed the race too.  I think I may go out at around 1:40 pace and then see how I feel at half way.

Last year at City to Sea I did 4:56 so I suppose that's the target.  Course is very slightly different (and marginally longer I think) this year as one of the check points has changed.  It all depends on the conditions but if it's good running conditions I may not take my camelbak, but take a hand held bottle instead - part of the kit list is that we need to take a water container with us.  And then I could just have a bumbag for my phone, which is also part of the kit list, but I'll decide all that nearer the time.

Yes, the Running Miles one is on a course I've not done before.  It's very close to Dorney Lake, but it's by a river.  The path is crushed stone with no mud, so the instructions say that road shoes are fine.  I did another one of theirs last year which is also very close by, but that was muddy in places.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Not done a 20 before so a PB is guaranteed.
    As for the weight loss,wasnt a target,I'd gotten down to around 13.5st and was quite happy with that,still a belly but happy with where I was,then over the last couple of months its dropped to 13 or just under,think it's the extra miles and I'm now running them slightly faster as my easy pace has gotten a little quicker.
    Big G-Sounds like a good course for you,I'm doing a half on the 8th,its a great course if the weather's nice,but very open on the coast if its windy,so hoping we dont have the same wind as last year.
  • Options
    Ian - nice long run and congrats on weight loss.
    Shades / Keith - Good running in tough conditions.
    Big G - Nice running to do day 2 quicker!
    Cal - Nice parkrun. You are clocking up loads of different ones!!

Easy 11 miles on Saturday even if legs felt heavy and 3 miles on Sunday, to finish on 37 miles for the week. 8 miles with 2 at HM pace (6:24/6:16) today, legs felt better today, just easy runs now, hoping it cools down a bit for Sunday's race!!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I think your strategy re Berlin based on your performance at Bridgwater is a good one.  We have to sow that seed of confidence in our brains to make us brave enough on race day to have a go.

Not so sure I'd like the crushed stone on the Running Miles course, but I expect it's well maintained there so should be OK.

Ian - I expect your 20 miler will be a very good PB, even if you don't run it flat out.

That's the best way to lose the weight as you've done it without depriving yourself and you can maintain your new weight comfortably.

Steve - I think we're all due better racing weather this weekend.   Hope the tapering is going well.

Lovely Pilates class today.   I arrived at the leisure centre a bit early and as there was no queue at reception I idly asked about going back to the gym and getting a new programme.   I'd read an article about muscle loss in my age group last week and it's been on my mind to go back to the gym.   Anyway before I knew what was happening I'm booked in next Wednesday with one of the instructors for an hour to get a new programme and a body fat analysis :o   
  • Options
    Ian, well done on the weight loss (even if it wasn't intentional). I've dropped a few pounds myself - I've scooted under 10 stone for the first time in several years. I might even be able to get down to 9'7 in time for Yorkshire. Not been dieting - just eating sensibly and running a lot.

Steve - yes, East Grinstead was my 52nd different event (out of 94 runs total). I'll earn my 100 shirt before too long. Good luck with your race.

Good luck with the gym, Shades.

8 miles today. Legs felt surprisingly good considering the 22 on Sunday. A little niggly - achilles was low-level grumbly and groin is having a grumble at the moment but not sure if that's running or yoga related. Maybe a bit of both. I'm keeping an eye on it (since it's not a new problem). I realise that although I felt OK, there is fatigue in the legs as stride came back a bit shorter than it has been recently, but hopefully it'll be OK for tomorrow. Also hoping it will be cooler (weather forecast seems to think so). Had enough of these 30 degree days.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done Cal.  With regards to your parkruns, you kind of got me into the tourism thing - I didn't know it was "a thing" as such until you mentioned it a few months ago.  As you know I've done 20 different events now so I'm in that group too, and have the Cow Cowl now.  Just been having a look at my various stats and noticed that I've only got 8 seconds left on the parkrun Stopwatch Bingo :)  My "Nearest event not done yet" is 44km away though, so apart from when I'm away for a marathon/weekend away I may not get too many more done in quick succession, although having said that I do want to do Severn Bridge and also Woolacombe Dunes at some point, so I will probably make the trip for those.  All being well, I hope to do ones in Chelmsford, Edinburgh, Salisbury, Inverness and, hopefully, Berlin this year - I haven't quite figured out the logistics for Berlin though, which may not be straightforward from where I'm staying.  I'm on 141 events now, so not a very high percentage of tourist ones really (14%) - 98 of mine have been at two events, and another 18 at a third event.  Annoyingly for you, if you ever do come down this way for the DD you won't be able to do a parkrun here as the DD is on a Saturday....

Have you seen the parkrun statsgeek group?  There's a whole other level of geekness over there, and I think I fit right in :)  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - well done on your weight loss too, you've dropped quite a bit there, should help with your marathon target.

Have you sorted out your watch now to give you more accurate pace during your run?

I'm hoping the gym and the subsequent reviews of measuring body fat etc will give me the impetus to lose that ten pounds that is part of my DD 2020 plans.

I was asked if I wanted a particular instructor and I opted for the guy that takes my circuits class as I'm hoping that seeing him every week will keep me focused.  I was then told that he is known for giving tough programmes but I said I was happy with that, we'll see.

Big G - I suppose parkruns down here in the SW are often quite a distance apart so harder to be able to do different ones without quite a long drive.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes it is a bit harder down here, due to there just not being the numbers.

Here's my nearest ones, with purple being my home parkrun, green are the ones I've done, and orange the ones I have not done.

But if you look at the UK&I map you can see there's not as many here compared with other areas.  I'm really looking at over an hour's drive away now to my next nearest one, which I can't really commit to doing that often, unless OH comes with me (she works most Saturdays though), or I can travel with a couple of Trotters.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - yes the maps certainly show that they're more thinly spread in the SW.  Nice and evenly spread out in Ireland I notice.  :)

Are there many parkruns in Berlin? 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Well done on your loss,even better when you're not trying.
    Big G-I've only ever done 2 parkrun venues so well ahead of me.
    Strange how runs can feel so different,Sunday's 16 felt amazing,yet today's 10 at 10 sec/mile felt really tough,may be due a rest day,just 2 more weeks then taper time.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, there's just one in Berlin (24 in the whole of Germany) but from what I can make out it's not that close to where I'm staying so I'll have to see if it works logistically.  I may be wrong on this, but I thought there was one really central when I looked into it before, but that's not there now - on occasion, parkruns do stop running for whatever reason.
  • Options

Big G, here's mine (there are also two in Manchester, but I'd have to zoom out a long way to fit those in). Lots of parkruns in and near London.
    I'm interested in those two you mentioned (Woolacombe sounds like a beast!) - maybe we should have a meet-up at some point. Also, do shout if you come to London.
    Hasenheide is the one in Berlin. I know some Chasers did it before the marathon last year so should be doable.
    I'd consider York (since I need a Y anyway) but I likely won't be getting there early enough on the Saturday (if it's even on) and I generally don't do parkruns before a marathon. It's only this year I've done them before a half. I'm not one to do parkrun as an easy run - I just can't seem to help myself so I remove the temptation by abstaining before target races.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Looking at a map of berlin the expo doesn't look too far from the parkrun,maybe a couple of miles.
    Entered barca today,got really good flights,even allowing for Ryanair charges,return flight,cabin bag and picked a seat for the way back for £64,race entry was 55 and got a hotel near the start for 132 inc breakfast for 2 nights with free cancellation,so £250 all in.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, great price for Barca.  I really hope to go back to that one in the future.  Regarding your run, as you say it's strange how one run can feel great and another one a struggle  Maybe a rest day will help, as you said.

Cal, yeah, it would be good to meet up.  I don't get up to London that much these days and in fact have never done a London parkrun.  There's a small chance I may do Ally Pally next year, but also I'd like to do Bushy for where it all started.  I did Yorkshire Marathon last year, but the main York parkrun wasn't on that weekend due to the horse racing, so I did a different one in York that weekend (Heslington).

Shades, are you watching the Vuelta highlights?
  • Options
    I ran the winter course at Ally Pally this year - I would like to go back and try the summer course at some point so if you come when that's on, let me know.
    Bushy is great - very busy of course, but the course copes with it well. And you can see deer. Ideal for combining with a trip to Hampton Court.

Did a 4 mile recovery run this morning as I've been very niggly. (I guess I didn't get away with that 22 miler as well as I thought!) Kept it super slow and just kept the legs ticking over.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - it looks easy on the map to think about going to all the parkruns fairly close by that you haven't done, but in reality it must take quite a while to work out the logistics.

Hope those niggles ease up.

Big G - needless to say Berlin has a very efficient transport system, not sure if I'd have mastered it when we were there, but luckily we had Emmy with us and she knows Berlin well.

Yes, I'm watching and enjoying the Vuelta, but my recorder failed to record the first stage so I missed the bit of why some of the big names aren't in the INEOS team for instance, but I saw the bit when some of the teams crashed on the TT due to someone's swimming pool flooding the road.   Not a good start so far for INEOS with Tao Geoghegan Hart way down the GC.   But my favourite rider Thomas De Gendt is there so hoping he does well.

Incidentally did you see Beyond Events have a marathon along the Jurassic coast end of April?   I expect you'll wait to see if you've a VLM place before considering it.

Ian - that's a great deal for Barcelona.  I know a lot of runners rate that race as their favourite for organisation and PBs.

Good circuits class today and 2nd breakfast eaten. 
    :)
  • Options
    Big G / Cal - Love the parkrun tourism, I need to do more, but always end up long running on Saturday instead. Only do 35 runs over 5 different locations.
    Shades - Thinking about marathon plans, would you think there is a specific mileage level that someone would need to run say 6 days a week instead of 5? Obviously I'm trying to fit more miles in, but hoping to stay at 5 days a week if possible.
    Easy 6 miles today.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Steve, on occasion I do a parkrun as part of a longer run, but my nearest one is only about 1.5 miles away so I can plan it accordingly.

Shades, I haven't noticed that marathon you mentioned before.  I'll have a look at it.  I think before the team time trial in the Vuelta, it seemed most of the pundits thought the overall winner for GC would come from the Dutch team - Jumbo-Visma - but they crashed on day 1, which put them immediately on the back foot!

I woke up quite early with the intent of getting out the door for a short run, but just didn't fancy it at that point, so had some breakfast and a coffee and then went out for 4.5miles 10am.  Glad I went out in the end as I enjoyed it.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - I think how the marathon training mileage is spread out over the week is up to the individual runner.  
    Some runners don't have the time for 6 days, others need an extra day's rest as some will like to take a rest day before a long run and maybe the day after off too, or maybe just a way to avoid injury.

I think you could easily manage on 5 days, your mileage is mid 50's as it is over 5 days so adding in a couple of extra miles on your long runs and a mile or two on a couple of your other runs and you'd easily add another 10mpw without too much difficulty.

I think you'd run a good marathon off your current training and fitness level.

Big G - this is the one  https://www.beyondevents.org.uk/listed-races/jurassic-trail

I see there's the chance to do a marathon on the Sunday as well, tough double I guess.
  • Options
    Shades - thanks, that was my thinking, I like the Mon/Fri rest days, so think I'll stick with the 5 days for now.
    Hmmm....not sure, I haven't run over 20 miles since I did my ultra last year!!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steve-I think 5 days is best,seems to suit me the best but maybe as I'm a bit older than you I need more recovery.
    Speaking of which I decided to stick to taking today as a rest day,was only meant to be 6 miles and I'm 7 hard over the last few weeks so I'd rather take a rest day and go again from tomorrow.
  • Options
    Well I've no idea just what happened. After the 22 miler on Sunday and the niggles I've been nursing, I wasn't really expecting much, especially as Brockwell is quite hilly. When I did the parkrun there I was happy to get just under 26, and figured I'd probably do around 26 this evening (I'd already settled on the 5K, given I had a three mile jog there and home again).

Did my run there at a very leisurely pace, got my number and spotted another Chaser club vest so I went to talk to him - turns out he's just joined and was there with his sister who is a member of a different club nearer where she lives. We had a little warm-up jog  (not that I needed it, really) then went to the start when we were called. The 5K was starting first since there was a small clockwise loop before coming down off the hill and onto the main clockwise loop. And remember that nasty steep path I said I'd run up by mistake when trying to replicate the 10K course? Well it was part of the 5K initial loop so probably just as well  I got the practise in!
    Anyway, there wasn't a huge amount of people doing the 5K (in the results it 127  with a few DNFs - the 10K was more popular with over 300) so I was near the front even though I wasn't expecting a very good time. I guess I got carried along by the fast people (including the guy in my club, who ended up coming 2nd) and even after puffing up that nasty hill I was gobsmacked to see I did the first mile in 7:48. (To put that into context, I ran the first mile at Cyclopark parkrun in 7:45 which is a mixture of flat and downhill). The next mile had more climb but not as steep and I just tried to keep a steady pace and got it done in 8:09; then the final mile had some up but a lot of down and I did that in 7:59. I wasn't bombing down the hills as I'm still not that confident doing that at 5K pace, but used them as recovery from the ups. I then managed to push on to the finish and came in at under 25. Official time is 24:56 which is my fastest 5K race. While I have done four parkruns a little bit faster, they've all been on flat courses, and obviously not chip-timed, so I'm chuffed to bits. I was 7th lady too, and 1st VW50 (although the latter was out of 6).
    Got my medal and snacks (which I shoved into my hydration vest) and jogged on home. Achilles was a bit sore towards the end of the jog home so I will take a rest tomorrow.