Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Yeah, the Tooting one is up the road from me - I saw the runners shuffling around like zombies when I went out for a very early Sunday morning run last year.
    One of the guys in my club did the Centurion 100 miler and came third which is terrific (he had some tummy trouble during the race, too, so the fact he managed under 14 hours with quite a lot of loo stops is incredible).
    Rob - what about the Manchester half, is that one of theirs? I hope you can make it, but totally understandable if you can't.
    Having storms two weekends in a row is terrible luck but not such an issue for me now that I'm tapering. I was going to do a 16 but I don't think it'll hurt to skip it.
  • Options
    Shades - it is in the instructions. My poor interpretation of them meant I couldn’t work it out.

My plan is on my pc in work so o can’t look at it right now but I’m sure it’s me and not the instructions that’s the problem 😝
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - the last couple of hours of a 24 hour race are mind numbing :# 

Sub 14 is world class for 100 mile event, especially off road, most impressive.

Cozy - loads have interpreted the instructions for the tempo run as you did, probably the way I wrote it :/ 

Well I managed 6 miles in that wind, I just couldn't face doing any more.  It's lovely and mild, 12 degrees so that's good, rain not much yet so managed to keep my feet dry.   But the wind is relentless, not that gusty just strong all the time.  I deliberately ran a route that I knew would not be flooded but into the wind for the first half and it was like running up a steep 3 mile long hill, so tiring.   Was very happy to turn around.  Saw a few other runners out making any early start I think to get the best of the weather.   Wore my extreme weather jacket and it performed really well, it will do me well for any Connemara and Dartmoor weather.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I wasn't aware of that about the distance of that race.  Probably that's the reason.  There is a documentary about it and although I'm very interested in things like this, I personally didn't enjoy the documentary (I didn't finish it, which is unlike me).

I managed to get to parkrun this morning.  In fact when I left at 8:20am, the weather was okay - not too windy, and it wasn't raining!  I ran down and had to be there before 8:40am as I was doing the First Timers Briefing this morning, and by that time it was raining heavily and with a strong wind.  I wasn't sure if there would be that many first timers due to the forecast, but there were about 10 there, although most of those weren't new to parkrun, but just new to Torbay.  Anyway, all that went fine, then I did the parkrun in windy/rainy conditions and ran home for a total of 6.5 miles. Although not ideal for running, I enjoyed it out there this morning. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Decided to give parkrun a go this morning before the weather came in.First half was fine,last mile was torrential rain and wind but finished around 19.15 so happy enough with that,slightly outside my best but good with the weather,strong at the end overtaking 4 in the last half mile to fi sh 15th.With jog there and back it gave me 10 miles for the day.
  • Options
    12 miles done in what can only be described as character building conditions!

Probably went a bit quicker than I intended but I think my internal desire to be out of the weather made my legs go quicker! HR was about where I’d expect i think, I don’t really know what I’m doing so I make these statements with little knowledge 🤨
  • Options
    Did Gunnersbury parkrun with some clubmates. PSH was there and I missed him, doh! Anyway, wasn't an amazing run from me but I did 25:36 which is about a minute better than last time I ran it (when I was late and flustered). A bit windy but Dennis hadn't quite kicked in yet so I stayed dry.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Big G - think it would be a very determined parkrun virgin that would make their debut in this weather.

Ian - good running.  Did your OH manage to do her 20 miler?

Cal - lucky you missed the storm coming in.   Who's PSH, a forumite?

Have stayed in all day.   Lots of rain here though wind doesn't seem too bad.  Heard on the news that the river Lemon that flows through Newton Abbot is very high and the Teign has burst it's banks.  This is the road I ran on yesterday, the fire brigade have had to rescue the occupants of 2 cars.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cozy - well done on your 12 miles.  I bet you were glad it wasn't 16 miles this week.
  • Options
    Paul Sinton-Hewitt, Mr parkrun.

Blimey, that looks bad!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-No she did 14 and is doing 20 on tuesday,we switched it round when we seen the weather.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, I think there was just one totally new parkrunner there as she was asking about how the tokens and results system worked.  Other than that it was parkrun tourists.  Lots were cancelled locally today - Killerton, Parke, Haldon, Exmouth all cancelled - but numbers were still quite low at Torbay, with 235.  A car full of 4 tourists were supposed to be doing Exmouth but came to Torbay instead, but I suppose they would be counted as fairly "hardcore" parkrunners.

I saw some pictures from Newton Abbot and surrounding areas.  It looks really bad in parts.  Over here in Paignton there are a couple of trees down and also a flood across a main road between Paignton and Torquay, so hopefully everyone stays safe.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Just looking through the results today and I beat an Olympic gold medalist and 3 time world record holder.
    Pity it was in a different sport,Chris Boardman has become a regular park runner recently and he was there today.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - whoops sorry, thought it was a forumite. 

Ian - good planning by your OH.

Big G - I thought Torbay would have been cancelled too.

I'm waiting until it's light before going out but I have a feeling I'm not going to get much of a run today.   All my usual routes are flooded, I've been checking on FB.  I want to avoid the route I did yesterday as I think the subway will be flooded, it's been raining all night.

Updated photo on Teigngrace flooding, taken not long after the last photo.

My hilly route is also flooded and this is another of my favourite runs

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Have decided to bin my run today, seems everywhere is flooded.  And it's still raining and windy.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Really bad over there in Newton Abbot, Shades, what with the rising rivers etc.  Over here in Paignton, this "river" isn't usually there, as it's usually a footpath!

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's some footpath!

I'm lucky where I live, up a small hill.   But everywhere else has flooding and or trees down, lots of roads impassable.   It's still raining but not so much.

Sometimes even a Land Rover is no use.... this is at Holbeam

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Looks we had it bad last week but not as bad with this weeks,pretty wet and windy but not overly bad.
    Got my Seville number off the site and I'm in the 3-3:15 pen so need to get there early as I dont want to be stuck at the back like I was in Berlin and Frankfurt.Git a busy week as my Spanish mates are over for a football game on Thursday so meeting them then flying out on Friday.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a decent week ahead of Saville, Ian.  Are you looking forward to it?

I went out and did 7-miles today.  I had my watch on, but it was covered with my running jacket, so not tracking pace as such although I could feel it buzzing every mile - I ran to feel, and it was slightly at the quicker end, but no problem.  It was raining, and feet got totally soaked in the standing water/puddles, which on paper looks like a terrible run, but I loved it today.  I had to turn back at one point as the route was impassable (it would have been waist deep), but I was buzzing when I got back.  I promptly jumped in the shower, and then afterwards treated myself to an egg and bacon sarnie :)  
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Well deserves treat.
    Yes I'm really looking forward to it,feeling pretty happy with how it's gone,just hoping I get a decent spot in the pen so I'm not having to weave too much.
  • Options

Shades, thats some horrendous pics, it can be pretty devastating especially for some who can't get insurance.  

Ian well done on the character building conditions run.  Bet your looking forward to some warmer weather.

Big G, always nice to have the watch hidden for the odd run, always wonder how much it limits us, my 1st ever race 10 years ago was my fastest half (1.34) not even a stop watch.  Ran as fast as I could for as long as I could and kept on going from start to finish.  I thought I may have been capable of a sub 2.

Cal, shame about PSH but well done on the improvement on your time.  

Fair amount of rain and bit of wind but weather been okay.  One of our clubmates was planning to run her last ever race at last weeks cancelled winter 10k.  She is a pack of the pack runner 2 hours for 10k.  She decided to do a virtual run today for the medal.  Myself and another club mate went to support her, we ran in circles around her and walked a few bits.  Covered 6.5 miles in 1.15 and then a further 2.5 miles back, 9 miles in total.  Pleased with 29 miles for the week.

• Options
    Blimey Shades/Big G - that's nuts!
    Rob, that's nice - will she do a final race instead of that one?
    Rest for me today - tomorrow looks better, so I'll do a little run then.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Ian - hope you can get your place at the front of the pen.   IMHO the worst part of big city races is the start and the first mile or so finding a safe route and getting into pace with all the runners around you.   It won't be long until you'll be in the back of the pen in front of you ;)

Big G - waist deep for someone as tall as you, would probably have been up to my neck :o 

Robert - Although we have widespread flooding here I don't think that it's flooded folks homes.   I did see on the news one elderly couple having their home pumped out by the fire brigade and they were evacuated, a town about 5 miles from me.  However, the news is crap at the weekend so it's possible there could be more.  But we don't have the problems such as they've had in Yorkshire this year where lots of homes are flooded out.   There was some flooding in Cornwall last weekend and I think some homes affected.   We had a flood defence system installed about 30 years ago in Newton Abbot, I used to live on a street that flooded in extreme weather, although I was on the first floor so not directly affected.   The fire brigade came round a couple of times with sandbags until the system was put in.   Here it's mostly roads flooded, trees down and landslides.  But I expect there'll be a couple of commercial properties in the town with flooding.  

That weekly mileage is climbing nicely.

Well done for supporting your clubmate on her last albeit virtual race.   I guess most people don't ever plan their last race.

1:34 is a most impressive debut for a half, shows you have great speed.   Of course probably a bit of a double edged sword, you know that with more training you could do 1:25 and a sub 3 marathon and that in itself can be a bit of pressure you don't need/want especially after what you've been through in the last year.

8 miles for me this morning, felt really good to be out running again although I did run Saturday it seems ages ago...I think I have a running addiction. ;)   A couple of squally showers but after the weekend's weather it seemed ideal conditions.   Ran out on the main road and it was bright enough to come back on the back roads but I'm sure they're still flooded so had to stick to the main road and I managed to finish with dry feet.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, really not sure whether to post this, but I presume you’ve seen the rumours about Tokyo?  It’s not on the official site yet, but Japan Running News is very well respected and NY Times has picked it up too. I really hope it’s not true :(
    https://japanrunningnews.blogspot.com/2020/02/tokyo-marathon-cancels-mass.html?m=1

Shades, at the bit I turned around at, the pavement is lower than the road so there it was deep. Some cars were passing with extreme care (many were turning around) but about an hour later the police closed the road. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I've just heard those rumours about Tokyo too.   If it's true I'm not surprised, I didn't want to mention the possibility to you before as would have been unnecessary stress.

Big G - the Ashburton road out of Newton Abbot has been closed, flooding at the Halfway but drivers tried to get through this morning a few made it but 5 or 6 are now stuck in floods so it's definitely impassable now, muppets.   It's not as if that's the only route to the A38. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I see now from Tokyo marathon's website that the event is indeed cancelled except for the elite and wheelchair entrants.

Hope you are able to find another marathon to do and can salvage something from your expenditure, not sure if your travel insurance covers this?
  • Options
    Yup, just spent the last hour or so trying to cancel stuff. The flights were non-refundable so I hope the insurance pays out. I'll get the hotel money back. Unfortunately the entry fee is not refundable and if I want to take up a place next year I have to pay again. I'm debating whether I actually want to do that - the whole thing has been rather stressful.

Anyway, I had a stress-busting run - 8 miles with some strides.

I still have Manchester - but I'll have to stop tapering and ramp up again (joy!) But at least I can focus fully on that now.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - must have been very stressful, especially as fairly last minute.

Good news about the hotel booking.  Hope the insurance pays out on the flights, I saw a post on Fetch and his insurance didn't cover the flight costs in this situation.

If your insurance doesn't cover flight costs maybe a chance that you can transfer the flights, would be for a fee but still a chance to travel somewhere else for a race later in the year.   I've done that many times over the years, but only on short haul flights.

Just as well you have Manchester lined up though so all that good training won't go to waste.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that, Cal. Hopefully you don’t lose too much money. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-That's rubbish that you have to pay again for next year,are they refunding you this years cost? Gutted for you