Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - well done on the 90%, most impressive.

Nothing left from what I'd budgeted for the car to spend on running kit, but no huge expense either.
  • Options
    good news about the car! My other temptation is haribo, Last time I checked I scoffed a 140g bag in 40 secs 🤣 

one thing this corona looks positive for are smaller races, Boston uk have sold out and know a lot a mates booking other alternatives.

ive decided against Peterborough for the time being and hope to get some better training in, have a few low key trail races lined up end of April early May 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Cal - Southampton might be another alternative option for you, same day as London I think.   I do hope you don't end up having to do Blackpool as I have a feeling you would hate it, I did. :s 

Of course it all depends on how fast the coronavirus reaches it's peak here in the UK as to how our races will be affected

Robert - not really that promising for smaller races really.  Some won't have taken out cancellation insurance so if they have to cancel will maybe never recover financially.   Others are using premises such as schools and colleges and they may not be allowed to use them as the cost and practicality of doing a deep clean before opening for usual business the next day is tricky or they may just be refused the use of the premises.

Having a Plan B can be a bit pricey and runners would need to enter those plan B races now, no point in waiting, if London and Manchester are cancelled the other races would be all be full in a couple of minutes as they will have limited places as per their licences.   I see Brighton are offering places to Rome and Paris runners, I expect at a steep price, just shows that Brighton don't reach their race limit, but it's a nice offer from them all the same.

Not keen on Haribo, you can keep them :)

Big G - have a good run today.

10 miles for me today, chest still sore, maybe today a 4/10, yesterday was a 5/10.   I have a week until my first race of the year, am hoping it eases up a lot more by then.   Lovely spring morning, birds singing, did my lake route, saw jays, pheasants, deer, lots of ducks including the mandarin.   Saw lots of swans too but they were in a field as they often are after a flood.

I think I mentioned before that my club ran a Couch to 5k course, they started the first week in January and 2 weeks ago all of them ran for 30 minutes non stop which is great progress.   They're having a graduation ceremony at their first parkrun today, nice touch.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Rob - I have a bag of Haribo milkshakes in the cupboard as we speak. I also enjoyed the Christmas flavoured Star Mix.

Shades, not sure about Southampton either - another two lapper and the bridge is apparently quite tiring. At least with Blackpool it'd be another chance to see Col. And I could have fish and chips after. :D

Well done on your 10. My glutes have been quite sore since my last gym visit, too!

Southend parkrun today - I wanted a fast, flat one and it didn't look too bad to get to - an hour on the train from Fenchurch Street, although that also meant 20 minutes on the Northern Line and a 10 minute walk first.

It's a slow, stopping train and today it was even more slow as there were some signal problems early in the journey. A group of parkrun tourists going to the new Chalkwell run were sitting near me so I figured if the delay was too much I could hop off at Chalkwell and do that one instead, but in the end I reckoned I could just about make Southend. And I did, with a couple of minutes to spare. It meant I didn't have time for my usual mile warm-up, but a rushed speed walk with a bit of running thrown in from the station and I was warm enough.

The run is actually in Shoeburyness, in a park overlooking the Thames Estuary. It was lovely and sunny (but chilly) when I got there and the view was fantastic, but clouds rolled in by the time I'd finished the run. The run itself is three laps, all hard path (apart from a tiny bit of grass that isn't muddy). I reckoned I'd be on for a decent time so I pushed it a bit. There was a bit of congestion at the start but I still managed 7:49 for the first mile, which is pretty quick, then did a 7:50 and a 7:54. Came in at 24:25 which is my second fastest parkrun ever (I'm still a bit dubious about the 24:09 at Beckenham last summer, which I'm convinced is a bit short) and only second time over 70% age grade. Very happy to go under 24:30 as Garmin measured the course as the correct length. 1st in age group (by over three minutes) and 10th lady, so it was a good day at the office.
    Only bummer was I somehow managed to lose my return ticket - don't know how as I'm usually super careful - so had to buy another. Not much I could do about that.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Barcelona postponed untill October 25th :-( 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I forgot about the fish and chips  :)

Ian - so sorry to hear that, especially for your OH as she's prepared so well.  I'm not surprised though.

Any chance you could find another race.

Not sure if there's any in Ireland but I had an email from Aer Lingus and any flights booked from now will not incur fees if they need to be changed, unless higher cost. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sorry to here that, Ian.  Are you still going to travel or cancel altogether?

Groundhog Day Marathon today in Telford. Being 105 laps there’s not a lot I can say about the scenery - probably ‘samey’ may describe it ;) But conditions could have been a lot worse, although the wind did pick up in the 2nd half, so much so that it blew 3 gazebos over which saw the organisers desperately trying to resurrect them. 

As you know I had a terrible run here last year - I lost it mentally. Today I was a bit concerned about the toe but it held up ok, and in fact as I was conscious of the toe the first half passed without too much hassle. The second half I had to dig in a bit but the last few laps I ran/walked as I just wanted something beginning with a 3. If I got that, I promised myself I’d never have to step foot on a track again. Having said that, I was having stomach issues which slowed me down as well, but I’m happy enough with 3:56:26 (official). 

As it stands I’m planning to do tomorrow - my hotel cancellation policy ran out at midday whilst I was on the track so I may as well stay and then see how I am. Toe seems ok and hoping the stomach cramps clear up. 

My cool box has worked well. Porridge oat pot this morning, a couple of rolls and some chicken pieces after the race so I’m glad I’ve bought it. Premier Inn must have thought I was an idiot though - one nights’s stay and I took up a suitcase, bag of food and a cool box :) I’ve packed a couple of AF beers and a pud for tonight :)

It’s approximately 2hrs to this evening’s Travelodge so hoping I make decent progress on the roads.  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Well done Big G, you managed to deal with a lot of troublesome issues today.

I take it that might be your last track marathon.   ;)

I always arrive at Travelodge/Premier for one night with more stuff than I can carry in one trip from the car.

Hope you have a good night's rest ready for tomorrow.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nice job, Big G - no doubting your mental fortitude! Glad the toe is OK.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, I thought of you as there were a couple of parkrun tourists there. They did a nearby parkrun, and then turned up and did the marathon because as it started at 10am in theory it was doable. Sod that!

Shades, a few of the regulars were saying ‘never again!’, but I’m pretty sure they said that last year :) It is good as it’s a social event, but to be honest I’m not really there to be social when I’m out on the track. I just want to get it done as quickly as possible!  For me, I suppose never say never, but it’s unlikely for a while at least.

There was a guy there in his 60s who was hogging the very inside of the inside lane. Denzil (the RD) is a really friendly guy but asks for the inside lane (or at least the inside of the inside lane) to be kept free for those who are going quicker.  It’s in all the pre-race emails and Denzil made a point of reminding everyone before the race.   Everyone respected it except this chap, who also swore at another runner.  Denzil then very politely asked him to respect this ‘rule’, but he threw a bit of a fit.  At one point I thought he was going to leave the track, but he continued and for a lap or two walked on the second line as if it was a tightrope (with his arms/hands out). After that he must have walked around 50 laps, but then started running again presumably as he realised he wasn’t going to make the 6hr cut off if he didn’t hurry up. It was all a bit strange. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - all the track events I've done follow the general rules which is that any runner running their normal pace is entitled to use the inside lane only moving out to lane 2 when taking a walk break.  So I expect that guy is used to those rules.  If I'd been running there I wouldn't be happy as a slower runner to run in lane 2.  It's the same in a road event, we run on the left hand side of the road and any faster runner has to overtake.

I've run in 24 hour events with guys that have/were representing England and they would overtake slower runners all the time quite happily.  

Denzil's rule would stop me ever considering his event.  Not that I want to do it anyway.

I know track events are very social but with the Coronavirus that's the last thing you want right now.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ah, fair enough Shades. Hadn’t realised that about general rules on the track. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I was going to say the same as Shades,when I did it,the faster runners had to do the overtaking.
    I'm gutted for her,not actually that bothered for myself.We we're doing the half in Southampton so she is looking to upgrade to the full,but no guarantees that will happen either.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - are you going to upgrade to the marathon too at Southampton?

I do hope it does go ahead, there's a chance that the virus may have peaked by then.

Big G - are you feeling OK now, stomach etc?
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, it’s not quite right. Just a general ache but no ‘toilet issues’ if you know what I mean.  I feel generally ok in myself and legs feel ok at the moment so let’s see what tomorrow brings :) I was very dehydrated though so trying to get fluids down me. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-No I'm  not,its 6 days after Boston so will leave it.
  • Options
    Shades, hope your chest starts to get better before next week, Joggers also use parkrun as a couch to 5k, They have used Westmill before which is pretty tough trail and about 230ft elevation.

Cal I wasnt a fan of the xmas version, still ate them.  Well done on another parkrun, gutting about the ticket, makes it an expensive day! Remember once getting the train to liverpool street, had bought 2 tickets for myself and Elle, could only find one.  £20 fine plus another £18 ticket on top of the £36 I had paid already.

Ian sorry about Barca, 

Big G glad your toe behaved and had a good run.  I always have too much stuff for a 1 night stay too.  

Aimed for a 14-15 mile run, after 5.5 miles my watched stopped tracking distance, had a 30 sec stop start,got to 7.5 miles and decided to turn round and cut run short as didnt feel great, had 3 small walk breaks before stopping after 12 miles.  WJ had an event in Asda raising money for herts/ essex air ambulance so went to support, got some loo roll, cornflakes (not panic bought as needed them) and cookies (wanted them) and had a jog/ walk home with Elle for another couple of miles.
  • Options
    MDS postponed till September  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - it will be good anyway that you are there in a support role for her first marathon.

Robert - that's still a decent distance for your run yesterday, you've had a good week, apart from the crème eggs ;) 

Not surprised MDS is postponed, all those folk sharing tents and facilities in the middle of the desert, a real germ fest.

10 miles for me this morning, first hilly run since having this chest strain.   Pain level still 4/10 but I think it's improving, the hillier course makes it more uncomfortable as I put more effort into the upper body on the uphills.    Was sunny when I left home, even donned the shades for the first time this year but halfway into my run it clouded over and rained a bit, nasty cold wind too.   I need to add on a couple of extra little loops to make up the distance on my hilly route and on one loop I met another runner who informed me that I was about to get my feet wet.  Indeed at the foot of a hill a deep flood, I would say a foot deep so I decided to turn back and pick up my original route.   Then the rain was torrential, then hailstorm, I kept my shades on to protect my eyes but got very wet and a bit cold.   So still ended up with wet feet but not as bad as running through a deep flood.   Enjoyable run but was glad to get home to my nice warm flat and a cooked breakfast.

Brings my week's total to 60 miles.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    No rain for me but (I did try to start at one point, then changed its mind) - some sun and a bit of wind. Weird run though. Did the Brockwell route with some flourishes on either side. First my watch took 5 minutes to find the GPS then, after 17 miles, it went completely nuts and started giving me 7:20 miles which I knew wasn't right (7:20 is actually my mile PB, as it stands - not the kind of speed I'm going to be busting out after three hours on my feet). The last three were like that (apparently I ran a 22:30 5K - I've had to go into my watch and delete the erroneous PBs)  so I did an extra half mile or so, but I think it's more likely I ran around 19 miles than 20. My finishing point on the map bears no relation to my actual finishing point so I don't know what happened - perhaps something local was interfering with it.
    There was an  update when I got home so I think that might've caused the issue - least I hope so, as having that kind of thing happen during a race could cost me a PB.
    That aside, decent run - a little posterior tib grumpiness (right) but the foot (left) was pretty quiet.
    Anyway, ran for around 3 hours 17 so however far it was, it was a good long run.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that's a good run despite your Garmin trying to sabotage your mile splits, it's most disconcerting when they play up like that.

Maybe there was an electrical storm in the area.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Dorney Lake Marathon today. I was feeling remarkably good when I woke up - legs totally fine. I wonder if that’s because the 400m track is a good/springy surface to run on?  Stomach was fine too, so not sure what that was yesterday. 

Anyway, I was staying about 20mins away from the venue and got there in plenty of time to get myself sorted. We were warned/reminded to go a particular direction in the grounds as there would be a lot of rowers queuing to get in because apparently the Thames can’t be used for rowing at the moment.

After the start, although legs felt good it did take me about half a mile or so to get into it as ankles were a bit sore, but that quickly eased. I wasn’t after any quick time and just wanted to get it done really, and I think I did the first half in around 1:54.

This is a 10 lapper and at around laps 6/7 I did go through a bit of a bad patch - just feeling a bit dizzy - but that went fortunately. Luckily for me on lap 9 I caught up with a chap who eats sub-4s for breakfast, having done 100 of them in one year. We had a good chat for a couple of laps which made it go pretty quickly really (although the temperature dropped and the rain came), and I finished in 3:53:11 (official).

So a bit quicker than yesterday but in fairness I really did coast in yesterday with a run/walk for the last few laps.

Happy with that though as I didn’t want to wring myself dry with what is coming next weekend. I do feel pretty tired now so not sure if my hoped for 3xsub-4s is on or not. It depends how I recover from this (should be fine) and also what the weather’s like, alongside managing any niggles that may develop, blisters, food, hydration and everything else :)

Just stopped for a coffee (no KFC!). 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Great job, Big G!
    Shades - no storm - it was mostly pretty nice weather (a bit windy - there was a headwind going up the steep hill in Brockwell Park which wasn't helping) and it started to spot with rain around 14 miles in, but then stopped. So a bit mystified.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G -  well done, you certainly recovered well from yesterday.  Yes, the tartan track is a cushioned surface and  very kind to the joints.

No KFC again, I'm impressed.

You'll be fine for next weekend.  Make sure you have a room with a bath, post and pre race bath every day.  Some light compression tights to wear as recovery and preferably sleep in them too. And lots of food.  :)

Cal - it's possible to have electrical storms in the area although you aren't aware of them.   Sometimes I get strange unexplained high reading on my heart rate monitor and if I investigate there have been storms in the area although no physical signs where I am.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, thanks for the advice.  I’m not sure if my room/hotel has baths but I can ask. 

No real issue but I was a minute quicker than what I thought I was today - 3:52:11

One thing I did find out is that the Roadhawk V2 is slightly bigger in the toe box than V1. I wore V2 on Saturday and toe felt ok, but V1 today was sore/tight when I put them on. I swapped back to V2 for today in the end so was lucky yesterday was dry. I need to keep this in mind for the weekend. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's worth knowing about your shoes.  If you were doing a double or triple in warmer weather your feet could swell a little over the days, but less likely in cool conditions.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Nice race Big G. 100 sub 4s in a year sounds insane to me. 
    Good runs Cal and Shades. 
    Went for a 20 miler this morning. Tale of two halves with the first 10 being beautifully sunny through Richmond park. Was really needed as training had started to feel a bit grindy last week with extra mileage and the rain. This obviously meant I went too fast and paid for it in the second half which was compounded by hail and a trudge through dodgy bits of town. Anyway got it done and legs feel pretty good now. Not sure if it was the compression socks, better base of mileage or focus on posture (some research suggested my slumped over style really isn’t efficient!). Only issue is plantar fasciitis played up during the run. Was mild but it’s the first time so hoping it eases with some rest and golf ball rolling. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - well done on your 20 miler, good that your legs felt OK afterwards.   Better stick with the socks then.  :)   

Annoying about the PF, you can tape it up for long runs and races that can help.  Kinesio tape and Youtube if you want to give it a go.   I take it the ITB was OK, if so that's really good news as that can really stop you running.

8 miles this morning for me, chest strain now down to 3.5/10 so improving.   It's also allowing me to sleep normally now as it's been a bit like a shoulder injury and interfering with my sleep.   Lovely morning here, bit chilly but a lovely full moon when I went out and sunny when I got home.   Did out and back on the main road as I was doing a maiden run in one of my 2 remaining pairs of Guide 9's and didn't want to get them wet and/or muddy by coming home on the back roads as I think still some surface mud and water to negotiate. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Glad the chest strain is improving Shades.  Great you've been able to run still too.

Rcouture, well done on your 20.

I went out for a 3-mile recovery shuffle/run this morning.  Yesterday during the event I had no issues, but today my left knee was a bit sore/stiff, although it did ease a bit during the run.  Possibly that's at least partly due to the drive home.    Plus the toe still isn't right, and in fact was worse today then yesterday.  Hard to say for sure of course but I really don't think I'd have got a sub-4 today, so I'll just have to see how I get on over the weekend.  Planning a rest day tomorrow although will more than likely walk into town, and then maybe a gentle 3-4ish on Wednesday before the drive back up the motorway on Thursday.  I haven't booked a room for the Sunday night, but if I do end up making the start on line on Sunday I will probably book a room.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Big G - well that's not too bad after a double.  I used to get really sore ITB when I had a long drive home, so it's possible the drive has caused the knee to seize up a bit.    Maybe different shoes for your toe next time you go for a run or a walk.   Your feet are bound to have had a bit of a battering at the weekend.

I still have one marathon to enter pre my planned target race at the IOM, it doesn't usually fill up but as now some races are being cancelled it's possible it will do.   So I'd better read the T & C on refunds before I enter.  Of course it's impossible to know how many and for how long races will be cancelled, I'm just about to email IOM to ask for my particular race number but I will also say that it might not be possible for me to reach that number on the day.