Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Paphos and Limassol marathons, which were scheduled over the next 2 weekends have been cancelled/postponed.   Cyprus have banned events where more than 75 people.

Also NYC Half Marathon cancelled

• Options
    Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭

Nice pic Cal, loving the leggings, and missing my park run at the same time!

I can't see your pics Big-G so I can't comment on your modelling potential, but having never had poor advice in here before I'll go with the group opinion and say I backing you for the front cover of the magazine next month!

8 miles MWLR this morning, very hard to pace it properly due to a very strong head wind first 4 miles and at my back the second 4, felt ok, foot still a wee bit crampy (not when running).

I'll take my 5 miles very easy tomorrow, and was intending on plodding round park run on Saturday but my local one has been called off so I'll not bother!

• Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Great pics Big G & Cal.
    Shades - Yes, there seem to be more events called off every day. I have my fingers crossed for Manchester!
    Cozy - nice 8 miler.

6 miles to work this morning after kettlebells, 5 miles later.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Nice pics. You all look very photogenic. I look very ill for the most part when running! We’ve just been told we’re all working from home as there’s been a Coronavirus case in our building. At least it means more running during nice parts of the day as opposed to knackered after work. 

7 mile recov last night which became my tempo run for the week as crossed paths with folks doing a 5k and got caught up with the whole thing!

• Options
    Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭

Rcouture - we are doing one week in one week out the office, with a 50/50 split in staff!

So one week in two my 2 x 5 milers will be at lunch time instead of 5.45am :)

• Options
    Had a weird one today. Went Doctors yesterday and yes defintly a strain causing the back of knee issue. Will see how fast it disappear. Same doc as next weeks blood test results so did borrow some of my 10 min slot time for that. She said she wouldn't be bothered by the elevated liver test as it was 51 with it classed as high from 40. Her principle is ignore until 2-3 times th 40 level. Also off my other pill as a trial and if my stomach doesn't ache thats sorted.
    All fine until i went in this morning for my bloods to be taken pretty much just after they opened as it was a fasting test. Recepetionist said no appointments today and i said already got one assuming they thought i was walking in to get a on the day one. Nope no appointments for anyone as all be cancelled. You have to ring for one so they can ask their questions on holidays no doubt. THey were meant to ring me to sort out a time but never did so i shall ignore it for now. Not amused though as nothing was said yesterday so they must have changed the policy themselves overnight as there is no updated govt guideance for this.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    How tiresome, Keith. I hope you can get it all sorted.

Well, I've done the 10K although there were issues...I'd been fine all day - this morning's run was fine, then carried a big bag back from the launderette with no problems, ate, watched TV, played around on the computer for a bit, then made a coffee about an hour before leaving and all fine. Get up from my chair to change into my running kit and my SI joint (right this time) screams at me. It took me a good 20 seconds to manage to attain an upright posture. By this point I have only enough time to change into my stuff and leave, but I stuck my Theragun on it and tried to stretch as best I could.
    It was uncomfortable as I walked down to the tube, OK when I was sat down but uncomfortable again as I stood up. This was going to be fun.
    I spotted Scott, another runner from my club (he's very tall so hard to miss) as I was leaving the station so we had a good chat and it took my mind off my back a bit. What I did notice was that the wind had really picked up and was pretty gusty. Oh boy.
    After I'd got my number and dropped my bag I ran around in a circle for a bit (there wasn't much time by that point) and figured I could run with it because, well, I was going to have to. If it hurt too much there was always the option to drop down to 5K as the 10 was four laps and the 5, 2.
    Time to line up at the start (fortunately, Garmin has been working fine since the update) and then it was off.
    I was familiar with the park from running the half marathon there last year and it covers some of the same paths. However, it was dark, which was a novel experience for me - I've done a few evening races before but all in summer when it's been light. The park looked very cool with the Orbit and various structures all lit up but not all the paths were fantastically well lit, so that was a challenge for me and my less than optimal eyesight.
    The first bit went around the outside of the stadium and there was a nasty headwind for a bit of this. Then we peeled off and went on a long dogleg, which culminated in a hairpin turn. On the way back there was one path that had funky lanterns above it that cast spots across the path and as it was windy, this were swirling around and messed with my head. It was like trying to run through a fun house. I was careful to keep my eyes on the runner in front on subsequent laps but suffice to say I didn't much like this stretch.
    I was still feeling OK after two laps so decided to stay on for the full 10. I figured it wasn't going to be a PB due to the wind but I would do as well as I could. My SI joint pain seemed to ease the longer I ran so I just got on with it. A couple of my mile splits were slower than I wanted - the ones where the wind was bad - but I found something for the last mile and was able to keep pushing. However, I still seemed to be a good way from the finish when I got to mile 6. In the end, my Garmin measured it as 6.4 miles and while Garmin is not always to be trusted, it definitely seemed longer than the Battersea 10K where I set my PB.
    I finished in 52:07, which is a couple of minutes shy of that PB but, given the wind, my blasted pelvis and the long course, I'm happy enough with that. I felt strong and I'm content I gave it my best shot. And the medal is very nice, which was the reason I entered.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cozy - well done on getting another MWLR done, I know they're not easy for you to fit into your busy life.

Hope that cramping in the foot eases, but as it doesn't bother you running I would take that as good news.

Maybe just as well your parkrun is cancelled so you'll be fresher for Sunday.   Has parkrun been cancelled due to Coronavirus?

Steve - I think we've all got our fingers crossed re our forthcoming races.  I think they would do everything they could not to cancel London, which gives our other races a better chance of survival too.  

Rcouture - I think we all agree that race photos are not usually the most flattering so when we get one that isn't so bad we are more willing to share it on here.
    Funny how when we're out training and a few other runners appear we speed up.

Hope the WFH goes well.

Keith - well that's good news on your doc's appointment yesterday, a strain should heal and your liver nothing to worry about.   Hope your stomach problems don't reoccur now you're off the meds.

But that's a sign of their poor admin about your appointment for bloods.   They don't want anyone going to the surgery but then you go as they omit to cancel your appointment, why didn't they text all patients overnight saying if they had an appointment it was cancelled and to phone.   Especially as you'd fasted for the appointment too, and as you were there they could have done the tests.

Cal - well done, that must have been so painful when you did that and then wondering if you were going to be able to run.   Hope it's not too sore today.

Only time I've raced in the dark is when doing track events and it is slightly weird.

Have decided to take a rest day today, have run for the last 11 days and feel slightly jaded today although I slept well and RHR is fine.   Tomorrow will be a rest day too so maybe 2 rest days will help my chest strain be even less noticeable on Saturday for my race.

Just heard on the news that USA cancelled all flights from Europe except UK.   Also heard that UK expecting peak of virus to be around June time, I was hoping we'd be over the peak by then :(
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    That's annoying, Keith.  But some good news too.

Cal, well done on a good time in the circumstances.

Shades, a couple of days rest from running is unusual for you, but as you said maybe it'll help before Saturday.

As for me, I'm not 100% sure if I'm doing the right thing but I'm making the journey to MK.  I think I'd rather be there and try and get around and potentially DNF, rather than DNS.  After all, after a mile or so the toe may be totally fine.  I think with this virus, a chance to get a few smaller events in prior to any cancellations is a factor too.  I have just walked into town to get some supplies and with the toe taped up there was no pain at all, which is good.  Even yesterday it was causing me to limp very slightly when walking.  So maybe in another 24hrs it will be fine to run on, which is why I'm making the journey.  I'm kind of reassessing my sub-4 targets a bit but I'll just do my best and will know more when I actually start running.  As it stands, if on Sunday I'm able to say that I managed to complete them all regardless of times I'll be happy, but I'll just take it one day at a time.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - 2 days off is not that unusual for me, I usually do that before an ultra although Saturday's race is only 20 miles.

Good progress on the toe healing.  You're quite right to just deal with one day at a time.  Don't consider slowing your pace either, running in your normal style will be best for the toe.  Running slower and in a protective way will probably give you another injury that might not be so quick to heal.

I'm of the same mind as you and think that now we're moving into the delay phase a lot if not all events will be cancelled fairly soon.

As yet Connemara is still on but with a total field of around 3k runners it's a possible casualty of the virus.  I have a hotel booking I can cancel with no cost but I'd probably pay to transfer flights to another event later in the year.  I can't see flights being cancelled between the UK and Dublin so no chance of a refund there.
  • Options
    Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭
    Shades - Re - parkrun, no it's been cancelled due to a swimming gala in the sport centre that it starts and finishes at, parking is difficult!
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Shades - Although I hope nothing is cancelled, I feel it is only a matter of time now.

12 miles with 5*1,200m today. Reps were 4:38/4:28/4:25/4:36/4:33, not below my 6 min mile target, but got it done.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Big G, good luck and I don't blame you for wanting a race before everything gets cancelled.

Easy 6 miles today. SI joint is giving my grief still but I knew it'd feel better once I got warmed up and into the run (which it did). An unpleasant icy wind dissuaded me from running any further, though.
    Oh and if anyone thinks I'm being a bit blase about my back, it's because it's happened before and I know the best way to deal with it is just suck it up and get on with it. It'll ease up in a week or so.
  • Options

I checked my phone this morning and they rang 8:20 to my home phone. I guess it was changed overnight so they wouldn't have been able to cancel before. I would have assumed if they knew they'd have said so day before. I had food for tea break but as they were meant to be ringing back skipped food until lunch. Then as the road from my village is shut (one of 3 ways but only one going the right direction) and it being Wednesday I went straight to brothers to see the kiddies from work so it was 8 before I had dinner.

I shall ignore sorting a new appt out until things sort themselves out or they contact me as it is nothing pressing. I have 2 weeks worth of my stopped pills so if I cant online request more I have some leeway. Not paying for prescriptions until june anyway as I have the annual pre payment. Can't use it any more as its only useful for 2+ prescriptions a month.

Depending on what weekend weather is doing I shall aim to get out for a run, tomorrow I am out in the evening so will be biking to and from that one.

As for race entries erm nothing entered or will be right now as the local ones are slowly cancelling. Dentdale run is Saturday and they canned it yesterday. They have fixed costs of £3000 and never keep money as its done on a all profit goes to the local school basis. Grounds for canning the race is that its a small village with a high old and sick percentage so its safer not to go ahead as people come from across then UK as its a popular race. Not quite as big as Coniston which is end month and more than likely we cancel too.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cozy - glad it's just the swimming gala then and nothing more serious.

Steve - that's a hell of a session pre breakfast.

Cal - good that you're able to deal with your pesky sore back.  Sharp wind here too.

Keith - reassuring to know they did contact you.   I think all routine stuff is put on hold for as long as needed by GP surgeries.

Shame about the Dentdale race, I've heard of that race.  I suppose as it relies on the goodwill of the residents, cancelling is the right decision. For those that are elderly and/or have health issues it must be quite frightening for some.

I see Ireland have cancelled all indoor events +100 people and outdoor + 500, until 29th March.  My race is 19th April but I expect ban could be extended.
  • Options
    Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭

This may be a question that has no answer as this is a unique situation.

But how do the smaller events announce cancellations? I have a feeling my half will be off on Sunday, but how would this be communicated? I'm guessing a blanket email?

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cozy, yes, blanket email I’d imagine. Additionally if you’re on Facebook and they have a Facebook page keep an eye on that. 

Steve, great session there!  Do you feel in decent shape?  You must do I suppose after your PB the other day. 

Got up to MK in good time and unloaded all my stuff to the room.  Some are running 7 days in a row, and one event was going on when I arrived with a small number left out on the course. Shades, it’s a small world sometimes as the first people I saw were the blind runner’s Mum, and Alice who does some of Davey’s events and also helps out. She’s doing all 7 days so seems to be ramping her numbers up a lot. Regarding RED they’re hoping for end of May for their first event but are still awaiting approvals, and was even mentioning a NYE/NYD double although stressed nothing is agreed yet. I hope they make a success of their venture - I reckon they will, she seems very well organised.  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Cozy - yes, usually a generic email to cancel.

Big G - don't forget to keep your 'social distance' over the next 3 days, much higher risk running laps with the same folk for 3 days rather than one race without multiple laps.

I guess this will be instructions to us in the UK as runners in the future.  This is Athletics Ireland instructions, they're advising against club training sessions too

https://www.athleticsireland.ie/news/statement-from-athletics-ireland-regarding-the-coronavirus-covid-19/

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cozy - your event might be OK as new rules for Scotland come into effect on Monday.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
     Big G - I have a gap at the end of May so that would suit me.  No interest in the winter races though.   :)   I assume they'll affiliate with ARC for their races.

The family often help out at Foxy's races as does Davey.  I would imagine they would organise an event very well.
  • Options
    Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭
    Shades - I saw that, I reckon it's a very un-subtle convenience that there's a very big football game on Sunday, I may benefit from that ..... and then hopefully my team win :)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, she mentioned an annual fee from April, and I’m sure she said that was for EA but I could well be wrong on that. ARC seems more likely so probably I’m wrong. She said each lap of the proposed course is only about 44ft of elevation, so better (for me anyway) than Davey’s course. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - it may be EA but they reject many small clubs or associate applications for affiliation.  It might be TRA though.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, regarding the social distance thing, I just had food on my own in the pub and sat in the most isolated table!  Also, I won’t be taking anything from the aid stations and have my own stuff, similar to what I did last week. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's as much as you can do.

My Infinity Running event next week are putting measures in place.  We have to wash our hands before collecting numbers, hand sanitiser available too.    The food/treats will be wrapped for us so no cross contamination from other runners mucky hands and marshals will wear gloves to hand out medals.  They've also said that if they have to cancel there will be refund or deferrals whichever we choose.

Incidentally re RED, if they have a TRA permit they still need EA affiliation for the insurance.  I hope they've already applied as EA are very slow in setting up new affiliations.  But of course we don't know if any events will be allowed at the end of May due to the Coronavirus, that may also depend on whoever gives permission for the route to be used.  It's a minefield.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Been a week or so since I've posted,as you may have guessed I've been busy in work,everyone has gone crazy,sales are up 30% in 2 weeks and we are really struggling to keep up.
    Not managed a run for a week,to be honest since I found out about Barca I've had no mojo,hopefully get out for a couple while we are out there.
    Looks like Boston is going to cancel in the next day or 2 also.
    Thought came to me today,if as looks likely,most spring marathons are cancelled,I wonder how it will affect London GFA.Usually the bulk of them qualify in the spring I'd guess? Could mean a slower time than last year could work as people only had last year to qualify.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ian, I'd expect that it would be the opposite, since people who had entries this year will have them carried forward.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I'm not convinced they will carry them forward,it would mean pretty much no new people for next year,after all they qualified  for london 2020,and if cancelled the t and c's say nothing about carrying it.Eirher way they will upset quite a lot of people so the decision would a lose/lose scenario.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I'm not surprised you've lost your mojo after the news about Barcelona and it certainly doesn't look good for Boston either.   If Trump extends his flight ban date wise and to the UK too at least you shouldn't lose out financially but doesn't help with the disappointment.

I take it you're still going to Barcelona for the weekend, you'll need the rest after hectic week at work.   As far as I know all the panic buying is over down here and ended a few days ago when folk came to their senses.

I think Cal is right and London would carry over this year's GFA entries, but I think they would try and find another date in the autumn if at all possible.   Many runners get their GFA times from autumn marathons, Chester, Dublin, Abingdon plus all the European fast courses in the autumn too, GFA times are valid for 18 months and many of the GFA entries are repeat entries.   Maybe they wouldn't accept deferments if the race was cancelled that would open up a few more GFA places or they might take some places out of the ballot allocation for a few more GFA as an exceptional situation.   Or they could extend the GFA entry timeline for  2021 to say to end of October.   If they carried over the GFA entries I don't think they'd upset that many runners, I would think over half of GFA are repeat entries so they already have an entry from 2020.   London would be far more concerned with the charities than the GFA or club runners.   At the moment they still say London will go ahead and it looks like if any event will get special treatment it will be the marathon.   Scotland have cancelled large events because of the strain on public services especially ambulance and police, which is a good valid reason.
    But the coronavirus is an exceptional situation and we can only speculate.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I've just had an email from Easyjet and from today they are offering to change future and even existing bookings without a fee, and that includes if you just decide you don't want to fly.   That's a really good offer.