Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Just seen I'm to start issuing all my staff with a letter to say they are key workers in case they got pulled by the police so looks like them stopping may become more common.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - bit of a shock to the system for you going back to work tomorrow.

Ian - that's a good idea as the definition of key workers is open to interpretation.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    We are limiting shoppers to 80 at a time from tomorrow,also putting 2 mtr signs on the floor at the tills as customers are completely ignoring it.
    As an added bonus work have announced the staff will get 10% on top of their hours worked from March 9th to April 30th,and we get the same on our salary.Nice bonus for all the hard work.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Great news, Ian!  Are you thinking "Nice trip away somewhere to run a marathon when this is all over!"?  ;)   Well deserved.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that is well deserved, staff in supermarkets have been working their socks off.  It must be exhausting.

Good idea on the limit on customers, I'm off to Lidl this morning and I think they are doing the same.  So I'm expecting I may have to stand in the car park for a while.  

Big G - any big DIY projects planned then? ;)

I'd booked a unrefundable Travelodge for my April marathon that was finally cancelled yesterday.   Travelodge have offered a full refund or I can have a voucher for future use to the value of 125% of my original booking.   Generous offer, I'm taking the refund as I don't know when I'll need a Travelodge again, might be a while and I'll spend the money on running kit.  :)  

Rest day today.    
  • Options
    Shades I’ve also got an email from Travelodge for my SDW50 in a weeks time (had pulled out the race) I had sold the room onto another runner so have contacted him to say will refund his payment.

ian nice little bonus to say thanks from your employer

keith good luck going to work, our workplace will be giving the few that have to go in letters (post room, IS and finance) in case they are stopped.

started wfh yesterday was a nice commune home! We’ve cancelled most of our marketing going out so will be quiet, I can’t complain too much with the position I’m in however I’ll probably be £300 a month lighter without the commission, given the last 75 months pay, I’ve had the bonus 73 times will be a bit of a drop.

4 miles on local trails yesterday and didn’t see too many people.  Yesterday seemed a lot quieter, hopefully most people are getting the message 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, how are you doing?  OK I hope.

Robert, I got the Manchester refund.  I got £48 back, and originally the fee I paid was £53 for the race.  There was £4.35 worth of fees when I entered the race, but they're not refunded.  I put my request in for the associated Flybe flights into the bank a few days ago but unsurprisingly I haven't heard anything about that yet - I guess they're pretty busy with other things at the moment!

Shades, yes, I think the back garden may be unrecognisable in a few weeks.  A breeze block wall is coming down, 5 large raised beds are going in, and a lot of existing/rotten decking is coming out.  In fairness, OH is getting stuck in as well and I have to begrudgingly concede that this stuff will see an improvement.

I've cancelled two flexible Travelodge bookings recently and the refund came through really quickly.  I hadn't realised that about the 125% of the other bookings, and will be cancelling a couple of those soon too.  Premier Inn refund came through really quickly too.  I have moved my easyJet Glasgow flights to a trip to Netherlands.  OH is hoping to go in November so I'll go along as well.  There is supposed to be a marathon in Utrecht when we're there so I've got my eye on that one, plus hopefully I'll do a NL parkrun.  Not sure I should be looking that far ahead at the moment really as who knows where we'll be, but I'm very much hoping we'll be out of this by then.   

I'm doing a Q&A session with members of the club, where they answer a few questions, send the info to me along with a few pics and I post one once a day.  I have done 3 so far, and have around another 20 to do, with more promised.  It's good as it's promoting a lot of comments, and it's also good hearing from people who may go under the radar a lot of the time.  They're all really good and I've learned a lot about people, but I hadn't realised something about a young runner.  I knew she was bloody quick and was really a track runner as she only trains with Trotters in the winter, going out on the 10-milers on Mondays.  She has very realistic goals of going under 2mins for 800m and wants to get as close to 4:10 for 1500m as she can, and has already been to National and Euro championships and done well.  She also came second a couple of weeks ago at the English Schools Cross Country.   She was spotted on Power of 10, a coach came to see her run (without her knowledge I believe) and as a result of all that and her race results, she is off to an American University this year!
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Ian - Good that your employers is rewarding the effort employees are putting in.
    Big G - I too had wondered about what an acceptable run time would be!
    Big G - Sounds like she has a bright future with those times!!
    Shades - Good time to start your strength training at home, is that instead of the gym work?
    Easy 6 miles today instead of my previously planned 5/4 double.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - shame about the loss of bonus.  I know money is important but you'll probably find you spend less being at home, all those incidentals on the way to and from work.   Plus on the social side you'll only be using your car once a week for the food shop so less petrol costs etc.   It's cheaper for lunches too at home as you can heat up left overs or make a good hearty soup.  Plus no need for takeaways as more time to cook in the evenings.   All that will soon add up to 300 per month.

Big G - well that's a decent project and will be nice in this weather, be careful with that heavy lifting though ;) 

This is the only Travelodge I have booked this year.   The 125% voucher might be a new thing to conserve their cash.  I think it was the end of 2021 the voucher expires.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: Your booking on 11/04/2020

In response to the Government's instruction on the 23rd March 2020 that hotels should close as part of the new restrictions to prevent the spread of Coronavirus, we are contacting you regarding your upcoming booking on 11/04/2020.

We are sorry to inform you that we will no longer be able to accommodate your stay as we have temporarily closed our hotels up to and including 15th April 2020 to comply with these new restrictions.

Please do not cancel this booking yourself and read the information below carefully.

If you prepaid for your booking you are entitled to a full refund and our standard terms and conditions have been waived.

However, we are offering you a voucher for the full amount paid for this booking plus an additional 25% extra in value.

To accept the 25% Extra Voucher please click the button below within the next 7 days (31st March):

So you don't cancel, this is part of the enforced shutdown, so if that continues they'll email you.

The American Universities are the best place for our up and coming athletes.

Cal - are you OK, we haven't heard from you since shutdown?

Well what a joy to drive to Lidl's, very little traffic, didn't get stopped by the police.    Lidl's weren't operating any control on numbers of shoppers but there weren't that many.  But the ones that were there some weren't operating any distancing at all.  I shouted at one stupid old man. :#  and he did have the grace to look ashamed.   One couple wearing masks and one woman wearing a scarf over her mouth which is not advised unless you want to increase your chances of catching it.   But shelves were full and I got everything on my list.   So I shan't go out shopping until next Wednesday now.

Saw my neighbour, the stupid one.   She had been out in her car and came over to talk to me and stood too close had to get her to back off.   She's finding it hard being shut in all day so wanted to go out to get some fresh air so instead of going for a stroll she got in her car and drove to the Premier shop and bought some bread, that is the smallest most congested corner shop in town and she is very high risk, 80 years old and multiple health issues, but so thick what can you do, you just can't tell folk.   Anyway I told her to text me if she needs anything.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Steve - xpost.   Yes to try and compensate for lack of use of a gym.   I'm very limited with weights/equipment but I can manage as by hunting around I found some good exercises that don't require heavy weights.   In the goody bag at Frankfurt in 2018 we had a resistance band so found some good exercises using that.   Only done lower body programme so far, have to write upper body one next.
    I'm not going to buy any more weights, my flat is small and when I'm back in the gym I wouldn't use them.   
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - just a thought before you get stuck into your project.   Someone was stopped yesterday by the police going to the tip to get rid of some stuff, he's renovating his own house, journey considered unnecessary and he got a telling off.   Recycling centres are shut too.   Just in case you have stuff to get rid of.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks Shades, good point about the tip.  We were talking about getting a skip as there is a lot of stuff that needs to come out, but for now I can stack any rubbish in one area of the garden.

Another 10-miles this morning, again about 50/50 road/trail.  Very, very quiet on the roads with very little traffic.  On roads that are usually quite busy I was able to run down the middle to avoid the few people that were on the pavement.  I didn't see many people but those that were out were very aware of the distancing rule, as was I.  On the trails, it meant that on occasion I had to stop and move in to let someone by, or on other occasions someone else stopped to let me by, but obviously no problem with that at all.
  • Options
    Hmm interesting on the travel lodge stuff. I shall ignore for now and see whats going on later in the summer. Did request train refund yesterday though.
    As for work well i know have a 'letter' stating my keyworker status which is a whopping 2 sentences long...... Yet more work from Sellafield is being scraped however the bit they will be maintaining sampling for just so happens to be the bit i do. I also have some PC based stuff to do too inbetween non becnhwork times for the weeks i am in. I also have some stuff i can do at home on my own laptop cos as far as i am aware the spreadsheet coding works fine so i'll check that later.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-1 of the girls from our club went to america a few years ago and loves it,often wins races overall here now.
    Shop really quiet now,we are limited to 80 people so have a guard counting them in and out,they are getting better at the 2mtrs at the till but still not quite there.If a family of 4 turns up,we ask just 2 to come in and 2 stay outside,don't need all 4 to shop,it seems to be going ok with only a couple of moans.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Shades one of our neighbours is also knocking on 90 and pretty clueless about the whole situation. I wish there was a bit more support for people like him. We’ve had to stop him from going out several times and a few of us on the street are now rotating getting him his weekly shopping. 

11 miles after two week break and run felt great aside from all the swerving around folks. Almost landed in a ditch in the common trying to avoid someone. It’s really surreal. ITB seems fixed completely (touch wood) but plantar fasciitis still acting up at irritating 3/10 pain for last couple of miles. Not sure what to do with it now as have been stretching, calf strengthening and 2 weeks rest and it’s still there. Obviously can’t see a physio for a while. 
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Just a quick post as I’m on my phone..

Shades -As Keith said, we’re only allowed to go 1km from our home which is why I’m tending to avoid roads and sticking to the forest!
    Well done on getting a strength programme up. You’ve made such steady progress with your gym/fitness plan it would be a real shame to let that drift.

Big G - Good luck with the garden project! Just be careful of that shoulder...

RCouture - I had a miraculous injection which cured my PF in one fell swoop. Maybe not the best time to ask your GP about it right now though.

Went out on the bike yesterday (which I shouldn’t have) and was planning on trying a run today but was one of those days when I spent the whole day in my running kit but didn’t actually get out for a run. Took my horse for a lovely ride in the forest though (still in running kit) and enjoyed every minute so all was not lost.

Hope Cal is ok
  • Options
    Big G - also got my refund, £40 as had an early bird offer, money I thought was lost so nice bonus. Heard from Cal on fb, she's okay.

Shades 75% of my lunches are meals reheated, my outgoings will be lower without petrol and can't spend money on stuff so will have similar disposable income.

Ian, I've seen most shops are now implementing restrictions, prob be quite a pleasure to go shopping now.

Keith the letter stating key worker doesn't need to be that detailed, only needed to justify why you may be out.

Rcouture - falling in the ditch is better than getting too close lol.  Well done for swerving.

First full day wfh today, was weird but no hiccups, very depleted team at the moment, there was only 2 working today of a possible 12.  Thankfully the two that are working are myself and someone who will take my position if I get promoted/ move on so could have been worse.

Went out this evening for 6 miles, majority of people were cautious and thankful as either myself or them would give each other space.  Run felt strong but feel I need a rest so tomorrow's stint will either be slow, short or a walk.

• Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Mamafox - thanks, do you remember the name of the treatment? I guess you were at the point where you couldn’t run on the foot?
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades/Ian, it must be a great experience for these talented runners to go over to America, study, train, etc.  Amazing really.

MF, yeah, I'm being really careful.  I've a few jobs to do so I'm kind of rotating through those, and taking plenty of tea breaks :)  I have to say I thought the wall was going to be very easy to knock down, but it's not!  I had visions of going along and knocking it over in 5mins with a large lump hammer but, ermmm, that hasn't happened...
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - good that maybe you'll have a bit of a quiet spell after the frenzy of the panic buying.  I found that about half of the shoppers were smiling and keeping the correct distance, the other half forget once they go into shopping mode.   A bit like runners wearing headphones, some are considerate and have spatial awareness, some don't.

Rcouture - good for you helping your elderly neighbour, it must be so confusing for some.   My neighbour isn't frail, although she has all these health issues, she's just not very bright.  She has a lot of family locally to help her if she needs it.

Unfortunately PF doesn't usually respond to a few weeks rest and tends to be a longer term injury.   But in most cases you can manage it but it's often a long haul to get rid of it, even physio will not cure it.   Robert has experience of PF as well as mamafox.

mamafox - great you can get out on your horse too, that's good exercise.   Are there any restrictions on horse riding?

I will never be able to maintain or make any improvement on my strength or muscle/fat %'s at home but I must try and do as little damage as possible.

Robert - glad the WFH went OK, I guess takes quite a lot of adjustment.

Good to hear Cal is OK.   Was a bit concerned as this is not the time to disappear. :/ 

Big G - unfortunately you can't invite a beefy mate or Kirsty Allsopp round to demolish that wall for you.  ;) 

Frosty again this morning, sunny too.  Had a nice run, dog walkers and a couple of other runners all very smiley and respectful of distancing.   It was strange to run past McDonalds, deserted and empty.   Wish they would demolish it and that would be even better.   On the day they were closing the queue was right out to the main road and causing traffic problems.

Right a bit of shopping for you, everything £10 

https://subsports.co.uk/#
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Diving on, rcouture, my physio is doing telephone calls and Skype calls, might be worth seeing of you can do that?? I know it's not perfect but .......

He has also emailed me some.videos of exercises to do.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Big G - Sounds like you will be busy in the garden.
    MF - Nice that you can use the forest still.
    Ian - Good that things are getting better in the shop. Sensible to limit to 80.

8 miles with 3*1600 today. Reps came out at 6:02/6:00/5:49 for an average min mile pace of 5:59, so just under 6:00 target pace!. Pleasing to get faster on the last rep too, and nice to run a bit faster as just done easy running for last couple of weeks I think.
  • Options
    Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭

I've completely lost my desire just now, I'm not very good at going 'off plan', I still done 5 miles Tuesday and about 11km last night whatever that is miles!

I passed a family of four (I went in to the middle of the road, I'd guess 5 meters at least), they all pulled their jackets over their faces and the 2 children screamed! I think if your children are that traumatised by the situation don't go out walking! It defo wasn't a fright as it was long straight road, they saw me coming from miles off! I hope all the people out doing family walks continue after all this is over.

Shades - thanks for that link, I already own a few sub things and their stuff is really good, that'll sort me for the next year (although I've not checked what sizes and stuff they have)

• Options

MF sounds like a nice way to get some fresh air!

Steve nice pace

Shades - I use mcdonalds far too often, I don't enjoy it very often and glad it's closed for the foreseeable. 

Rcouture - pf is a knightmare MF had it really bad so did I.  It can happen due to a number of things and could be related to your ITB issues where you may have subconsciously changed your form.  Mine started from a niggle in the hip which was from weak glutes.

I know mf had the cortisone injection, it works for many, others not so much.  It's a steroid injection which acts as an anti -inflammatory and pain relief agent.  So you're able to carry on without the pain.  It could be training normal will resolve it as you correct your form.  It's important to load gradually do a few weights where you can and don't go back to the high mileage straight away.  MF had excellent results from it, best to source stuff from nhs about it rather than peoples opinions. 

There are also a range of products that marketers will try and push down your throat.  I tried shockwave treatment too which wasn't for me but others have raved about it.

Golf ball is a good one to roll under your foot, same as a cold can of coke. 

3 lowish cost products I've used to manage it are prickly balls such as this one https://www.decathlon.co.uk/massage-ball-small-black-id_8389644.html (maybe able to pick up in asda or free delivery £50 spend the shops are closed).

Not the most comfortable but the most effective for me and others is a Strasbourg sock (about memory), its like a stint that you sleep in at night, stretches the foot whilst you sleep but can take a bit of getting used to. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00SPS6DJ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the final product I've used is a magic sock https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01KV4HL60/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - you're doing well to stay motivated with the speedwork.

Cozy - I think the sale at Subsports is only on for a day or so.   When I was browsing a message came up saying 1d + left.  I haven't bought their stuff before but a friend of mine is sponsored by them and wears their kit.
    I have ordered 3 pairs of tights, £30 and no delivery charge either.

That's terrible that those children were so frightened of passing a runner.  Parents need to sort that out.  
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cozy-Thats just weird,sounds like the parents have become obsessed and past it on to the children.
    Only 1 arsehole today who took offence at my cashier refusing their money as they had it in their mouth,called for the manager and then got even more offended when I told them tough my cashier was right.
  • Options

Cozy - weird times these and people will act and react differently.  As long as you're staying safe that's the main thing.  Just get out when you can, keep a base fitness for when you can go to plan.  If you can go off road hit some trails, few people and mix it up a bit.  You can take the car somewhere if you're able to but be careful of popular areas
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I think the gardening improvement project is heading towards the ‘looking worse before it gets better’-stage. Yes, all that rubble, wooden frame and decking needs to come out. 

But, the wall is now gone!

• Options
    Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭

That looks a fair amount of work you've given yourself Big G! Good luck!

Shades - I bought 3 tshirts and 2 shorts, that really is a bargain, the shorts I bought are usually £38 down to £10! I was long over due a refresh of my base layers so thanks very much for the link!

• Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Robert - thanks for the helpful info. The pain isn’t bad, just a bit annoying and doesn’t stop me running. I’m going slow with mileage build so think will just carry on with stretching and strength work and see how I get on.