Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Day off now ruined for tomorrow,been told we have to be in for opening to make sure everything is ok and no panicking after the new lockdown instructions.
  • Options
    I feel sorry for the tri athletes have to choose their training carefully 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - hope you get that sorted today so you can WFH.

It's only swimming that can't be done.   Every triathlete I know has a turbo so they can still do brick sessions.   I feel sorry for those that's sport doesn't include running or cycling.

Cal - that is good news about the laundrettes allowed to open, I was worried about your laundry ;)   Thank heavens for some common land although will be interesting to see how much difference in traffic there is for you on your running routes.

Big G - thanks for the list, that makes sense.   I hear Sports Direct are remaining open as they say they provide an essential service selling fitness gear, ha, ha.   It's not lack of fitness gear it's the inclination to put down the pies and get off the sofa.   ;) 

Ian - so sorry to hear your day off has been ruined.  I do hope the panic buyers aren't out again today, if so it's truly sad how ignorant and selfish folk are.

6 miles this morning, very cold and frosty but had 2 tops on so I didn't get cold today.  When I got home our lovely binmen had been and emptied our bins on time, as usual.

• Options
    Just rang my boss to see whats what and the currently policy is this week normal with distancing etc then we splitting into two teams and going alternate weeks. However a fair bit of the workstreams are stopping so there will probably be nothing to do within a few weeks anyway. I am on team 2 so i get next week off but am encouraged to work from home if i can. I technically can if i cba with taking a desktop home to see if i can connect up properly. I may explore this after checking the details of what i need to do tomorrow when i go in and then bring it home to test. Does require a 10 metre cable however cos router is miles away from my only available desk which is not really suitable for working from home anyway.

Technically a brick session is a single training session but then its not really different to going for a long run over a hour in time as thats more than likely not want they mean. 3+ hour training runs probably frowned upon now not that this will affect me any time soon ;) I can get up to a hour or so with maybe some longer ones but not for a month or so.

Now i guess its time to go and encounter the panic buying cockwombles as i need to get my pills so might as well go down now and see if Kwikfit are open and have them stick two new tyres on car so thats done. Will also see what shopping i can get too as i need milk and some things. Probably gonna have to resort to 2-3 trips a week until the stock levels return and i can shop properly again. Handily i have a second freezer in operation which is mostly full of food from brothers as they cooked loads saturday and stuck it in here. There is space for me to stick some things in too.
    Also Sport Direct have backtracked and are shutting albeit will be asking govt what they can open.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-No it wasnt too bad,only about 50 outside which is nothing for the last few weeks so looks like it will be quiet.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, when I saw that list I wondered about B&Q.  I may be forced(!) to use this time to get on with some DIY.  Bugger!  I hurriedly went on to the B&Q site and breathed a sigh of relief that they're closed today.  But on further reading,  it seems they're preparing their stores for more of a "click and collect" service :(   I've literally no excuse, as my main one is usually "Well, I can't do that as I've got a marathon next week".  They do a click and collect service anyway, but from what I read that's the main thing they'll be offering.  Usually it's a 1hr service I think but the've warned it could be a 4hr service, which is still very good, unfortunately for me.

OH is a vet and vets are on that list too, but I know vet practices are cancelling routine vaccinations etc, except for puppies, kittens.  But being a vet in a zoo in a small team means they've already been running it on a skeleton staff, to effectively split the small team into two distinct teams so if one goes down ill there's still another one.  Zoo is closed, but I guess the keepers and vets are still needed as regardless of if there are customers, the animals still need to be looked after.  Not sure how that's going to work though.  On the new rota, OH has the next 3 days off so hopefully that'll become clear by the time she's due back.

When I think about it, in reality even after yesterday nothing is going to really change for me.  I've been concerned that I've been going shopping too often for small amounts so I will have to look at just enduring one bigger shop when needed.  Yesterday the shelves were more or less fully stocked in town, but I'm wondering if that may change for a few days after last night's announcement from the PM.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - thank heavens for that, perhaps you can get your day off soon.

Keith - I thought your job would be considered essential wouldn't it if restrictions became tighter.   Hope you can get that home office sorted.

I thought a brick session was 2 disciplines, say run then bike, but I don't know, 2 discipline training is alien to me. ;)   I don't think there's any advice on how long we should be out exercising.  A long run is no more risky than a short run.  If they do make rules on the amount of time out exercising it will be aimed more at cyclists, they've stopped them training in France, I think in case they have an accident and need an ambulance.  They can only cycle for essential purposes now.

Glad you're feeling better and now your self isolation is over you can get your meds and food etc.  You should only do one food shop really, not several but I guess that will depend on stock levels where you shop.

I'd love to hear what BJ would say (in private) when Sports Direct ask if they can stay open.   :D
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    X-post Ian.  Good news it's not too manic where you are!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - maybe a recurring twinge in that shoulder may save you from the DIY, certainly more than half an hour a day could make your 'injury' worse so pace yourself.

I saw on Spotlight last night a wildlife park, Cornwall I think, and 3 of the keepers have moved into a flat on the premises and plan to sit out the enforced closure just caring for the animals.

Nice that OH has a bit of time off though, except that might lead to DIY conversations as you can't take her out for lunch or to the cinema to distract her.

Re shopping, that's the only change I'm going to make too and try and do food shop in one hit.   I'm going to Lidl's tomorrow, I go about once a month as there's a couple of things I can't get in Aldi, or prefer Lidl's brand.   So in future if I have a rest day I will make sure that is my food shop day so at least I get out that day.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Regarding panic buying, a couple of days ago a friend of mine had to get a new fridge/freezer as hers broke.  She went to the store expecting to just be able to buy whatever model she wanted.  You know what I'm going to say, but the store had stock problems because people had been panic buying fridges and freezers!  They told her that one guy came in and bought 4 to put in his garage.  She wasn't best pleased as they had two models left, both more expensive than she wanted, but she had to go with it as she was stuck.  She lives in quite a rural location (Beer) so not sure if that's the same all over the place or not.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Shades - Yes, can work from home. My boss wanted me to do 4 days WFH and 1 day in the office to support those who can't work from home. Told him I didn't feel comfortable coming in and potentially making things worse and eventually (After a convo with his boss) was told I can WFH 5 days a week.

8 miles with strides today. Will run once tomorrow as no doubles allowed now!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I can believe that folk have bought more fridge freezers, I would think that is nationwide.   Let's hope that they don't end up wasting the food by throwing it out in a few months time.

I have a normal sized fridge freezer and admit there are times I would have bought more food if I had the space in the freezer.   I don't mean recently but around Xmas when there were frozen turkeys in the shops.

A friend of mine who lives in Scotland is 70+ and is trying to only food shop once a week but has limited freezer space should she have to self isolate.   She's found a range of ready meals that are long life and don't require freezing or chilling, so a good emergency standby for her.   

Steve - good that you can WFH and well done for putting your boss right.   Whoever would have thought that it would have been BJ that stopped you running doubles ;)
  • Options
    Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭

Shades - regarding the half, they did have to alter the course on the day before the run due to flooding, so chances are it was a wee bit short! I'm still taking it as a pb, as I said my garmin was 100 meters short!

I am also struggling with freezer space and doing responsible big shops! I have a family of four so space is at a premium. I'm allowed back out as of next Tuesday so can start picking up smaller amounts of shopping every few days.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cozy - The course change is the reason then, they wouldn't have had time to get the course officially remeasured.   What also happens in some races is that the chip timing is gun to finish so we can lose time getting over the start line.

Are you self isolating then?
  • Options
    Shades - Er stuff at Sellafield which is safety criticial needs to be done the rest nope sod off the site basically. There may or may not be some linkup to discharges which need monitored which we analyse but boss said although those lots were remaining the same he'd also heard Sellafield were stopping sampling from tomorrow so we'll have to see.
    Most the rest of the work is not vital at all although i'll have to remind him tomorrow that one of mine is on the not vital lot BUT his aerial discharge lot customer usually wants them so we'll have to check on that. Thats all pending no further changes when the higher ups figure out what they are doing both at Sellafield and or my lot.
    Car has two new front tyres care of kwikfit and i was asked whether i was a keyworker when i went in. Said i needed to be able to get stuff for my mother/gran and also brothers boy is autistic and not coping already. That may or may not be true and i'll be bending the rules to visit once a week cos he does indeed not like it if i do not turn up. As none of us have anything its medically fine to visit. Will bike though as its sorta more subtle than driving to and from albeit half the street would hear my squarky brakes when i stop ;)
    Tesco's quiet BUT many shelves had gaping holes including the milk despite a 1 bottle each sign. I have some more stuff which will do me until weekend probably although i may call in tomorrow on way back from brothers as i need petrol anyway which at least requires no human contact.
  • Options
    France has begun a two-month health emergency, tightening restrictions on movement. Exercise is now only allowed outside for an hour and within 1km (about half a mile) of your home.
    So er i can cope with that as there are a few loops of cycle track network which dont get beyond a mile from home
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - at least you got your tyres and essential shopping.

I'm sure you will be breaking (not bending) the rules doing a family visit, new rules are no visiting friends or family.  If you are taking supplies they are to be left on doorstep.   You can't know that you're not carrying the virus, none of us know that, hence the distancing, so definitely not medically OK to visit.

I hope we don't get that rule about exercise distance limit from home, will have to do all our running in circles, but better than no running at all I guess.
  • Options
    Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭

Shades - yea I think they done their best in a very short period of time. The mile markers meant nothing on the day due to the re-route.

I have been in isolation for a week due to youngest daughter (13 months old) having cough and fever, but it seems we are all ok a week on.

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I left after a couple of hours,just went incase it was crazy.
    Off for my one exercise of the day soon.
    I've been asked to go on a podcast I listen to,its an american,mainly ultra one,I emailed the host with a couple of suggested guests and he asked if I wanted to be on a meet the listeners edition,not sure if anything will come of it but will need to think of interesting things to say if it happens.
  • Options

Wonder is Sports Direct were always going to close and just wanted to make a name for themselves (free marketing order from us online)

Keith similar I need to get a spare sorted for my car, although I wont be travelling much if I have a puncture whilst shopping not ideal.  Glad you got yours sorted.  I'm tempted to put my car in back garden for a bit.

Big G my friend in the same position regards to freezer very limited stock available.

Panic bought some petrol 102.7p per litre, not that I'll need the car much.

Shades, we used to have a spare freezer, but when Chloe went to uni, we didn't use it and saw someone local on fb post they needed a freezer as theirs packed up.  Act of kindness cost us there.

Will be working from home later, it's going to be quiet as we've stopped most of our marketing.  I've volunteered my services to other departments if required.  Will hopefully show me in a positive light.

• Options
    just received this email......

Coronavirus Statement

Athletics in England suspension extended until 31 May 2020

24 March 2020

Following the further restrictions on movement put in place by the UK Government last night, UKA and the Home Country Athletics Federations have made the following updates to our previous statement issued on 17 March:

1. Extending the suspension of all athletics activity in England to the 31 May. [Initially this had been agreed to the end of April]. This suspension includes all organised athletics activity in the UK, including all competitions, formal club activities, running groups, and all Education activity (coach, official, teacher).
    2. Strengthening our position on coaching activity - We are now mandating that all physical coaching ceases, and only be conducted via virtual means during this period. Bringing groups of people together to train, however small, can no longer be permitted under the strict ‘Stay at home’ measures implemented by the UK Government.

These decisions have not been taken lightly and have been made in light of the continuing and real risk to life and to the NHS posed by the spread of the COVID-19 virus in England. We must now do all we can do. We would ask that the athletics community in England continues to help one another by staying connected and supportive of each other whilst at home in these unprecedented times. We will continue to review the situation in line with Government and Public Health guidance.

In addition to providing clarity to clubs, athletes, runners, coaches and officials, we are acutely aware that a number of competition providers have already made the bold decision to postpone their events in recognition that they stand to incur additional contractual costs on facilities that they have booked should they not make that decision now. We will continue to review this decision as the government guidance evolves, but one thing is clear - and that is that athletics, running and sport in general is special and is an important contributor to our way of life, but it is very much secondary to protecting and saving lives at this current time.

In its latest measures to contain the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19), the UK Government has announced that everyone must now stay at home except in exceptional circumstances.

From last night (Monday 23 March), the only permissible reasons to leave your home are as follows:

• To shop for basic necessities and that should be limited to once a day
    • To take exercise once a day - but alone or with those you live with, no gatherings of more than two people
    • For medical reasons or to care for a vulnerable person
    • To travel to essential work if that cannot be done at home. Further guidance to employers is pending.

While athletics is predominantly an outdoor sport that allows athletes to exercise in the fresh air, the message to all of us is clear, we must play our part in containing the spread of COVID-19. We urge our members to utilise the opportunity to exercise as laid out by both governments, but as such, any informal small group training sessions of athletes or face-to-face coached sessions must now cease (*unless they are with your own household members as above).

We have witnessed some very creative home and/or garden-based training sessions (safely of course) during the last week, and we would urge clubs and coaches to continue to be innovative during this period. A number of schools have also been task setting for their pupils and it would be of immense value to continue to engage athletes and your members in similar style tasks for athletics.

There are numerous ways in which people can remain active whether that be core strength training at home, HIIT, Circuits, running and so on (whilst adhering to the government guidance) so we will be actively promoting these. We will of course be pushing out digital content relating to exercising at home during this week thanks to the work of our respective coaching and athlete development team members.

England Athletics CEO Chris Jones comments: “We all have a responsibility to play our part in mitigating risk and in reducing the spread of this virus. It will be deflating to many but if we do pull together and adhere to the guidance issued then we will come through this period. In the meantime we will be working tirelessly as partners to provide value to our member clubs, athletes, runners, coaches and volunteers and will be organising activities and providing resources utilising a range of methods such as online forums, webinars and podcasts that will help people prepare for a time when we can all look forward with renewed optimism as an Athletics & Running family.”

These decisions are difficult ones to make, but right now, it is our shared responsibility to prioritise the health of our local communities by working together to follow the Government guidelines. In doing so, this will ensure that we all get back to competing in the sport we love so much sooner.

Good luck and stay safe!

Our latest updates can be accessed any time using www.englandathletics.org/coronavirus

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cozy - glad you're all OK.  But now you're no longer self isolating you have to stay at home with the new rules, except for food shop and your running.

Ian - enjoy your run, good you could get away.
    Re podcast you might in the future have to do a few more ultras then  ;)

Robert - I'm sure SD didn't do it for that reason.  They said their stores fell under the classification of health stores, they've made themselves a laughing stock.  They wanted the extra turnover plus their staff are on zero hours and I suspect may come under government pressure to make some payment to their staff.

No surprise in EA's extension, I think they're being optimistic about the date.

Big G - I heard on the radio that home and homeware stores can stay open.  So you should be able to get paint, but it would IMHO an unnecessary journey.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Just had an email, my marathon in April cancelled, I couldn't go anyway as a 2 hour drive so unnecessary travel.  Entry deferred to next year.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah, we were just talking about that. We’d pay for delivery and leave the side gate open so the delivery driver can leave stuff there. 

Went for a 10 miler and enjoyed my run. Those who were out seemed to be there for exercise purposes and it was a lot quieter than usual, as was the traffic. 

What would you think is a reasonable amount of time to be out for a run?  I was planning a longer run but is say 3hrs acceptable on a quiet route or quiet time of day?  Probably fine for runners to see, but what do you think a general member of public or neighbour would think?  I’m not trying to push the boundaries but was genuinely wondering. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Big G - does that mean you're not going to get out of the DIY.

A reasonable time for a run, for us 4 hours perhaps.  But there's no restriction on time is there? (Yet)  :/
    To a non runner I expect they would think 10 minutes.  ;)

Today I saw 2 girls running together then 2 guys running together and I'm pretty sure they were not from the same household.   However as we were less than 12 hours since the new rules came in I expect they were either unaware of the rules to exercise alone or had made arrangements prior to ruling.

Police are stopping traffic around here and asking where drivers are going and purpose of trip.  From Thursday drivers may be asked for ID to prove where they live, could be fined if trip not essential.   Good to see they are taking this seriously and enforcing the rules.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - quote from Mr Gove

Mr Gove says this should be your "standard length" of exercise and only once a day.

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I'm planning a long run this week if I can,can't see why it won't be ok.
    Seen a lot of runners out today,maybe i just noticed more as there was a lot less cars on the road,a very visible difference.
    11 miles felt good,I'm interested to see how much improvement I can manage now it looks like there's no races for 6 months or so.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, OH has her notepad and pen out to ‘make plans’. Wish me luck. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big_G said:
    Shades, OH has her notepad and pen out to ‘make plans’. Wish me luck. 
    I'm sure you said the other day that you wished your OH didn't have to work through this crisis and could stay at home.....

Ian - I too am interested to see how we improve with a long period of training without the interruption of races.

Of course we need to stay healthy and not get this virus.

I'm dropping my mileage for a couple of weeks as yesterday I started doing some strength work at home.  Will build up to 5 hours a week strength stuff and a couple of hours of Pilates then start to increase the mileage.
  • Options
    I suppose i should pump my bike tyres up being not used it for a week or so and they were a bit low back then. Maybe go out for a short spell to see if they have done anything else on the road yet. Still closed currently but as i said other day was already resurfaced in the bits they dug out so god knows what they still need to do. Maybe not bother going out tonight though as a little tired and being i am going to work tomorrow will actually have to get up at a sensible time i guess :p