Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, the risk assessments are all done as I expect we’ll up the numbers soon. It’s currently 1 coach+6 runners too, and I think they’re needed for that. Chair did want 12 but a few were more cautious so the 1+6 was a compromise to start with.

Yes I’ll go for a session if one appeals, but this week they’re both on grass which I personally don’t like. If 5x1k or similar comes up around Brunel I’ll try and do it. I very much doubt I’ll do one of the social runs because as we know the paces don’t really work for HR training.  I have been looking at Torbay Tri’s sessions too but currently they’re on grass as well. I know many like grass but I’m so poor on off-road that even a level, good quality playing field puts me off my stride!

I’m still looking at shoes. I really don’t ‘need’ another pair for racing....but, well, a new pair would be nice :) I’m still put off by the price though so I’ll keep thinking. 
  • Options
    https://activetrainingworld.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Dorney-Lake-Marathon-Course-Map-2.pdf

Route has been published for dorney lake, shades/big g what are your thoughts? Reckon about 500 runners? 

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, I'm trying to picture the exact width of those paths.  The route I have done there is 10 out-and-backs, pic below.  On the route I've done, it is a fairly wide tarmac path and although I've never had to do a socially distanced run there, I think social distancing would be fine with the smallish number of runners that go there (50-100ish I think). 

In terms of the width of the path on the route you shared, I'm not sure how wide it is on that bit that looks like it's in the middle of the lake.  I really can't picture it as I've not walked along it, but obviously people will be running against each other, so will overtaking be possible there?  As I say I'm not sure as I've not walked it.

Actually, I've just typed all that and then saw the website pic: https://activetrainingworld.co.uk/project/the-marathon-dorney-lake-4th-october-2020/.  If the pic is on the path I'm on about above and runners are going in both directions, I suppose there could be a small issue with overtaking if people are trying to overtake in both directions at the same time, and the quicker runners will probably start lapping the slower runners?  If people are in single file and keep to one side I think it would be fine the majority of the time though.  It's definitely flat - can't get flatter really - but there's potential for a very exposed course if the weather is bad.

• Options
    Well....I've entered. Not my ideal marathon but any port in a storm, right? (Just hope there's not an actual storm).
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - well I hope you find a race soon, you've been race fit for quite a few months now.

Big G - I hate grass too unless it's golf club or tennis court standard.   Unlikely round here.  I heard Forches Cross has been fenced off so no access to that.  I went there once with the Trotters and I found that too rough.

Robert - I don't think we ran any of that path so as Big G says don't know how wide the path is.   I don't like that route at all, it says 4 laps but as you run around the lake twice for each lap then it would feel like 8 laps.

Big G had a great marathon round the Nottingham rowing lake, I've never done that race but Robin Hood marathon used to do one lap of that lake and I hated that part of the race.   Either very windy or very hot.

I think to run a good race round that Dorney Lake route you'd need to have a strict pacing plan to keep yourself focussed.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - you'll be fine, you are disciplined with your pacing and concentrate well.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like there should be plenty room on the main path, found this photo

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I hate this hot weather and to make matters worse the bloody ice cream van has stopped outside my window playing very loudly the Match of the Day theme music.    :#
  • Options
    Big G I’m hoping the middle path is as wide as the main path, I’m not sure what needs to be considered for it being covid safe? Personally overtaking isn’t much of a concern for me, Overtaken will be, I’m very aware of my surroundings when running and time isn’t too important to me, 5 hours is my pick a number out the air target at the moment

shades I was wondering how the 4 laps were going to work, defo looks like 8 laps to me, wouldn’t be a route I would choose but just want something to aim for 

cal if I run can pick you up from a station (obs consider alternate plans if I don’t race) 
  • Options
    That's generous, Rob. I actually have a mate in Windsor - he may be willing to give me a lift but I've not asked him yet.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    That course has put me off a bit to be honest,looks like lots of tight turns.
  • Options
    Ian for myself it was a free entry and about 70 min drive.  I just need a low key marathon to keep me focused and something to help progress training.  Also gives me an incline if I’ll get to the start line of my 50 milers one November.  I’m not overly sold on the route
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - I googled Dorney Lake for the photo I posted, there are plenty photos but what I saw of the middle path it was 2 narrow tarmac paths but with short grass in the middle.  I didn't post that as I can't be sure it's right.  If it is I guess the tarmac parts will be one way and use the grass for overtaking.

Surely there will be staggered starts over the day.  I don't think being overtaken is a problem Covid wise, outdoors after all.   Just the same as passing someone on the street when walking or running.  As long as runners give up spitting or nasal clearance, now a disqualifying offence I believe.

It will be good as your comeback event as very social seeing the other runners.

Ian - looks to me like only one tight turn per lap, so 4 altogether.   The map makes the lake look small but it's very big in reality.

Busy morning planned, circuits, then gym.  Followed by food shop and coffee and cake in my friend's garden, socially distanced of course.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Do you not think the bottom end where they nearly meet looks like a tight turn,never been there so don't know the size of the turning circle there.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Regarding that turnaround point Ian, I know where that is as I think it's very near to the start/finish of the route I've done (that pic of my route is above in response to Robert).  It's basically a road where two cars could pass each other, and then opens up a bit.  It would slow you down a bit but not too much - I believe the pic below with the runners is more or less where the turnaround is, or if the race doesn't go that far up the road, it would be a fairly wide road I think.  The bits I was wondering about are the right angles near the water station, with a couple turns in quick succession in both directions and I suppose people slowing to go into the water station could slow you up if you're going for a fast time?  I think the rest of the outer route would be okay in terms of corners, but not sure about the inner section.  I do have a pic below that I took near the start/finish area on that course you're considering and you can see it's really wide, just as an an example.  I'm not totally sure how wide those bridges connecting the middle stretch are though but a quick Google and I think they seem okay.

Shades mentioned that lake one I did in Nottingham and that was just laps with no turnarounds like this and the aid station was on the side of one of the straights and it was quite long from memory so there was no issue.  I quite enjoyed that one but it was a different set up as there were Half runners as well so for me I found I always had people to either run with for a bit, or people to chase.  I was lucky with the weather though, in December!  Still probably my best-paced race ever, even though I've ran quicker elsewhere.

Last night I had typed in all my credit card details on those Nikes and was hovering over submit fully expecting to order...but then closed the page without ordering.  :)  Ha ha, I'm really not sure.  If they were £100 I would have ordered them, but then I suppose Nike know this so they're priced it perfectly from a business out of view, haven't they!  I was looking at the equivalent Saucony Endorphin Speed which look fantastic but they're even more expensive.  Actually, Sportsshoes are offering free returns on the Nikes, so I suppose I could get them and send them back if no good.  I have heard reviews that they are narrow for some people and I like some room in the toe box.  I think the Sauconys are better in this regard.  Up to 13% cash back via quidco, if they honour it for these shoes, so I wouldn't count on that.

• Options
    Another very hot night (30.9 on the theromostat at bedtime) so I woke a few times and then got up before 4. Problem now is it's getting light much later - I'll soon be starting my runs in the dark. But I got out at 5:20ish and it was light enough to see where I was going.

My rough plan for today was an MLR with a neg split (hopefully getting up to MP so I opted for the Tooting/Wandle/St George's Park route I used for my Vet Runners virtual races last week. I was going to do the Wandle/park loop twice, but as I got to the end of the park for the first time I realised I wasn't going to want to go around again - it was pretty humid. I'd been slowly gaining speed so I figured I'd just do a progression run with a cool-down mile or two instead.
    I did repeat the Wandle section, which was my fastest mile at 8:52 (faster than MP) but I was ready to stop then. I began a cool-down mile and I didn't feel great - very tired and almost a bit spaced out. I was quite ready to quit after that mile but when it came in, it was still quite fast (9:53 which is what I'd term steady pace rather than easy) so I decided to slow down further and give it another mile, especially as I was still a good way from home. Unfortunately, that last mile was mostly uphill so I was far from recovered when I stopped and I walked a further mile to cool-down properly.
    I know I don't use a proper HR monitor, but my watch does seem to be quite consistent and it was hitting high 170s for the last four miles (including the two cool-down miles) with a peak of 185. No wonder I didn't feel great at the end! Just as well I walked another mile to allow it come down again. Heat, dehydration and lack of sleep will have all had an effect here so I'm not worried, but it is quite interesting that my HR goes a lot higher than almost every formula thinks it should.
    No gym trips planned for today but I will have to go shopping - fridge is empty.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Cal: that's a high heart rate. Do you track your resting heart rate? I'd be interested to know if that was elevated too. 

BigG: I'd say: if you've thought about it and still not convinced, don't do it. There's something in your gut saying no.... But if it's fuelled on price, then buy them on money back guarantee and try them out. You're not losing anything that way. 

Shades: a busy day for you! What sort of cake will you have? Hope that the gym goes well. 

We had a storm last night so it went down to 20c this morning. I ran 9k but by the end it was starting to heat up and the humidity really started to get to me. I got home and B said that I looked like I had already been in the shower! 
  • Options
    Emmy - it's around 50. Was the same this morning, so no. I did lose a couple of pounds on that run, though, so I guess dehydration was probably the main culprit.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I looked at the route map of Dorney lake on my phone yesterday, but I've just looked at it on my PC and there are 2 more tight turns  (per lap) at the top left of the course that I didn't notice on my phone.   Big G has mentioned them, the right angles near the water station.

Big G - just as well you didn't order those shoes.   I see the new Asics Metaracer are out today, bargain at £180   ;)    The Saucony ones do look nice, I think they're £130 on Saucony's own website.  Is that a better deal for you?

Cal - very hot here too, I had a very disturbed night too.   Well done getting out there for a tough run in this weather.   Your optical HR is likely to give exaggerated HR elevation, which is also why way out from the formulas, although the formulas are only correct for about 50% of folk. 

Emmy - optical HRM's only work accurately at rest not for any activity.

No storms here yet but we are due thunder and rain over the next 3 days  :)

Had a busy morning.   Left for circuits early so I could drive around town for a few miles with the aircon on and I finally got cool.   Great circuits class, very sweaty.   Managed to bag last Pilates place for Monday at end of class.   Circuits instructor is going to let me stop circuits at 7 a.m. next week to book Pilates class as otherwise I won't get a place.
    Hasty cup of coffee then into the lovely cool gym, did full session on lower body, I will ache tomorrow as even managed the plate drag which kills my glutes.
    Then onto food shop, lovely and cool in the supermarket and not busy.  Home, shower and off to my friend's house, sat in the garden, 28 degrees in the shade.   Delicious fruit cake made with lots of butter.
    Home now, it's only lunch time and I'm on my 3rd set of clothes for the day  :o
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, you got me looking there, but there are three shoes in the Endorphin range - Shift, Speed and Pro.  I was looking at the Speed, which is £155 and I think kind of equivalent to the Nikes I was looking at.

On that note, I've ordered the Nikes.  It was inevitable, wasn't it!?  The Quidco cash back has tracked so in theory I should get £15.39 back in a few weeks, but you never quite know until it's actually been paid so I'm not counting on it.  Usually Sportshoes does pay all the time, but maybe there's something with these Nikes where they'll block it as they're so popular.  If the shoes don't feel right I can send them back free of charge and they should be here tomorrow.  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's a fair deal with the cashback.   Comparing the price to the ASICS and Saucony makes the price more palatable too.

Now if you always run a PB in them, then they will be a real bargain.   :)

I see Paris cancelled today, they had moved it again to November.   I guess they realise that there is no chance for big events for quite a while.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes,those were the ones I was talking about,think I'd rather have had 8/10 straight laps than that,but not me job to make the course or the lease ways of people overtaking thankfully.Will still consider it as I've already got that time off as it's when Chester was.
    Big G-Well done on the shoes purchase,as soon as you mentioned it,it was gonna happen.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - don't know if you're working the weekend before but Goodwood is still supposed to be going ahead.   Haven't done it before but I've heard it's fast, I guess should be straightforward laps.   I believe laps are approx 5k.   The nature of the course means it could be windy.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    I contacted run thtough yday, they say Goodwood is still on at the mo. 11 and a bit laps (each lap of cct is ~2.3m). Potential to be windy, as its very exposed. But the Chichester 10k was on a windy day in Feb and loads of folks ran fast (although thats more about the quality of the field). Its not ideal, but its the future of racing (for a while at least), but at least folks wont get lost, and with game face on no-one is looking at the (lack of) view anyway.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    TR - thanks for that, very useful info.   I don't mind if the laps are a bit shorter than 5k as if it's windy shorter sections into the wind, I hope.

Do you need to get a GFA time, or do you already have a valid one?
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I can be off the weekend before,that is just 2 weeks after Boston though.I have PB'd before within 2 weeks but ideally I have 3 between races.I know someone who did their Tatton 10k at the weekend and found it well organised,it must have went well as they are putting some midweek extra races on now.
    TR-The view means nothing to me,I'd be fine running around an industrial estate.
    After work run today was still very sticky,was hoping the storms may have cleared it but no such luck.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Shades - agreed, i did a lap of the cct on my Chichester 10k warm up and on a windy day, it was only noticeable for short durations due to the lap nature. Im good for gfa, i have Yeovil and Abingdon 2019 so get rolled straight over to vlm 2021, luckily im nicely inside the cut off meaning im pretty much guaranteed a place if we have to apply again. 

Ian - Abingdon would be good for you then.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - maybe see how Boston goes and if you want another race, say if Boston conditions were gale force wind then Goodwood might be an option.

Yes, TR is right, you should do Abingdon some time, cancelled this year.   It's a fast course, well organised, fills fairly quickly as it's a popular race for obtaining GFA times.   But the course is so dull, by the 2nd time round a totally deserted industrial estate it's easy to lose the will to live.  It's my PB course 2010 unfortunately and if I'd known that would be my last marathon PB I wouldn't have slowed down for the last few miles, I was injured and already had bagged a PB time.

TR - that's good re your GFA times, no pressure then.   Conditions were good at Yeovil last year as I did a big course best.

I hate this weather.  I was exhausted last night, combination of poor sleep and the heat, went to bed early as I was falling asleep on the sofa.   But another hot restless night, not much sleep, did a fair bit of reading including the part in Finn's book when he did Tooting 24hr race.   
    My flat was so warm this morning and I have really sore quads, hamstrings and glutes from the full lower body workout that I did yesterday at the gym.   I even considered taking another rest day but I wanted to get out in the fresh air and I had another pair of new shoes to take for their first run, Clifton 6's.   Set off on the flat for the first two miles and then couldn't face continuing on the flat as it's one of my most frequent routes in the dark in the winter, so turned off to do another 2 miles out hilly, 2 miles back hilly, then 2 miles flat.   We didn't get rain last night but the 2 villages I ran through on the hilly section had had rain, but it was so humid, I can't remember sweating so much.   But amazingly managed to keep HR down.   Glutes very sore particularly on the downhills, felt like I'd been kicked by a horse.   Saw a horsefly it hovered around me for a few seconds then flew off.    :o  Shoes are lovely, so comfortable.   

Lazy day today for me.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - have you entered the Exeter 10k?    I thought it might not be cheap, I realise though that there are extra costs now for being Covid safe but I've decided not to do it, if I was in PB shape I might.
  • Options
    The Richmond 10K is confirmed - nice medal for it too.

5 miles recovery today. Bit of drizzle, which was welcome. Then it rained properly when I got home. Temp down to 28 in my flat.