Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Last year was 1:03:36 so 1,40 better,OH got 1:21:23 so just over a min better than last year and daughter was 1:23 so currently getting ribbed for being last of us,but still a very good time for both of them.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that's a very good PB at your pace and for that distance of race.

Great running from the rest of the family too and well done to your OH on her PB.

Is OH doing Boston next month?
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Well done Ian! That's great. What was the weather like?
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done Ian, personally I think you paced that well as you didn't really fade, in terms of the last mile was the same pace as your first one.  1min40 off at your pace is really significant.  I did have a quick look at the results but just as a matter of interest were you running more or less on your own for a lot of it?   As you say it's all pointing in the right direction for you, which is fantastic.  Strava says it was quite humid (90% I think it said) - how was that?
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-No,but she has got the time off for Budapest so when Barca gets cancelled she will book there.
    Emmy-It wasn't too bad,warmed up at the end,my app says 19-20° but 91% humidity.
  • Options
    Ian, top job, great pacing and contrats on the PB!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that's high humidity for your race.

I want to do Budapest again but can't face the possibility of yet another cancellation so I'll leave it for this year.
    Aren't there fairly strict Covid rules for visitors to Hungary right now?  Of course plenty time for those rules to be relaxed before the marathon.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Ian - Great stuff from you and the family and well done on the PB!

Good running all

7 miles for me this morning. Wanted to go further but was late leaving the house as usual. Looks like the scorching weather continues for us in the next few days. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-The only real issue at the moment is mass gatherings over 500 are banned,but all seems good for tourism.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that's good re Hungary, I expect the numbers will increase re gatherings.   When I looked at travelling there it was 2 negative Covid tests 48 hours apart in the 5 days prior to arrival, but it must have changed now, hard to keep up with all the changes.

8 miles this morning, flat route.   Legs only slightly tired now.   Very humid, a breeze in places but that was warm and not cooling at all.   Pilates this morning, more extreme stretching I think  :'(   Last week I saw the instructor 2 days after Pilates class and she said she was still suffering from the class she taught us, if the instructor is hurting there's not much hope for the rest of us.   ;)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Ian, as a matter of interest, were your running on your own for that race, or were you in a small group?

7.5 miles this morning on my hilly trail route.  I enjoyed it out there this morning.  Something seems to have happened over the last 2 weeks where I've been quicker on a couple of my regular routes, and also breaking quite a few of my Fetch Mile times.   Today I was over a minute quicker on this route and really I wasn't pushing it, as I was treating it as quite an easy run as average HR was 134.  I'm not sure what it is as conditions aren't great for me with the humidity.  Could it be that the couple of faster sessions have done something?  I really don't know, but I'm pleased obviously!

Committee meeting tonight.  Chair hasn't released the training sessions for Wednesday so not sure if there's a problem somewhere, but no doubt we'll discuss it tonight.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Near enough all on my own,took over a couple but most of the race I was by myself.
    Shades-You are right about the changes,we can use our country as an example,literally from day to day the rules about certain countries changes.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - good to hear you've made another significant improvement, much more likely to be the MAF training not the speedwork.   The faster running won't improve your base pace/HR.   

It's a month now since your MAF test, I was expecting you to do one today.  ;)

Maybe Chair is finding his role as Covid assessor a bit of a faff and hoping for a further relaxation of rules.

Ian - well any changes do need to be speedily enforced where appropriate although I've read today that Portugal might be removed from the restricted list later this month.   Travel to France though looks like that will become restricted this week.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Shades: your instructor sounds tough! Especially if they're struggling after your class! 

I've heard that this week we'll see more restrictions for certain "yellow" countries. 

5miles alone for me this morning. Still hot but seemed to manage it better. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I thought that may have been the case.  I did have a quick look at the results and there were relatively large gaps so was wondering what it was like.  I think you paced it really well to be honest, and for you to think you've got another 5k at 20-mins fairly easily for the Half is brilliant too.  I've been reading a bit about "group think" in racing and training, and as we all know it's easier in a group.  Apparently (presuming you've paced it correctly!) if you are running with a group and you see other people doing the thing that you're trying to do, deep down you know it's really possible because others are doing it as well, so it becomes "easier" mentally.

Shades, I do want to do a MAF test but I want it to be better conditions.  There was a bit of a wind out there today.  Also, I know I'm definitely improving still as I can see that really clearly from my regular routes - I've knocked fairly significant chunks of time off a regular 7-mile route of mine and a different, hiller 7.5 miler, as well as a 6-miler.  Everything is pointing in the right direction I think, but yes I definitely do want to do a MAF test so hopefully will in the next few days or so.  The cardiac drift is still a concern as I have been noticing that more in the humidity especially, but I'm trying not to dwell too much on that aspect as I'm not sure what I can do specifically to address it.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I think the problem with running in a group is that it is so easy to get dragged along at a pace that is a bit too quick,and as we know in a Marathon that could really pay at the end,but if it is about the correct pace then it is ideal.When I did the 20m race last year,it was at the right pace for me and it felt so easy running in the group.
    I had a guy yesterday about 100mtrs ahead with a mile or so to go and I tried to hunt him down,when I got about 5 mtrs away he must have heard me,and he sped up again,then I had nothing left and slowed,yet until he sped up I was keeping going,just shows the power of chasing someone sometimes.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, yeah, I suppose if someone is a 4hr runner and find themselves in a 3hr group they won’t be in the group very long and also they probably won’t get 4hrs :) I settled into a group in my 5K PB and also at San Sebastián and as it was the right pace for me I think it helped on those occasions.  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - I think the instructor is ex-Army, she takes no prisoners.   She did ask me if I was going to her Army PT class, I said no, as that's a running day. thankfully.  :o

Yes, I read that the NL are likely to have increased restrictions this week.

Big G - yes there was a breeze for me too.  Maybe better conditions for you later in the week.

Big G/Ian - the trouble with running/racing in a group it's unlikely the group are running at your pace.   If you watch the elites in a marathon even they will back off the pacer for a while and then come back, often those that insist on staying with the pacer will not win and will be overtaken in the latter stages. Bekele will back off the pace group and then come back to win/place, I've seen him do that.
     For non-elites the pace groups are very popular in marathons but if anyone has to use a pace group to achieve their hoped for time then they are sadly lacking in an important part of racing and that is pacing yourself and the mental strength required for distance running.   But the pace groups can be useful for the first half to stop a runner going off too fast, at halfway they should run their own race.

We've had rain, and a little thunder, hasn't cleared the humidity away unfortunately.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I’ve never ran in an official pace group as it’s much too busy and it’s stressful as sometimes you want to go a bit quicker and sometimes a bit slower than the group.  When the 3:30 group at Chelmsford were near me they were running so close together and a couple were having to check their strides - I’d find that really annoying.  In fact if there’s a pace group in a mass event I try and either start way ahead or way behind them to not get involved at all.  At Malta I purposefully went past the 3:30 group at about 3 miles as I just felt they were holding me up. It’s just on occasion, later in the race, I find myself in a small (non official) group running at my pace and it does feel easier then. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-That's what happened in the 20,after a few miles it was clear about 6 of us were targeting the same pace so we started talking and just worked together,certainly helped to pass the time.I have never ran with an official pace group,and don't think I would fancy it,seems a lot of hassle getting water etc when there is a big group and for me,they always seem too fast,I often see pace groups in front of me that are targeting a pace slower than I am.
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Ian - You racing snake you. Well done to you and the rest of the family. I enjoyed reading your report too.

Big G - Love the idea of going back to bed after a run!

Emmy - That's an interesting idea regarding the fly paper. At first I thought you meant strips dangling down like those Australians do with corks.. but couldn't see that working, so I guess you mean stuck on to a cap. I think it's a good idea for clouds of normal flies but not sure it would work for serious horseflies. They're bigger and faster and attack legs and arms as well.
    You are lucky to have aircon in your bedrooms. I didn't realise the NL got that hot, thought you had quite a cool climate. Shows how much I know  :/  

Cal - Those runs really do sound like you live in the country. Great mileage there too.

Shades - I am embarrassed to say I can't remember what model my shoes are. I had a look when you mentioned that and I can't find anything written on them either, must have rubbed off. This is really stupid as I like them so need to know the name for next time. I think they've got a 2000 in the title. I think I posted about them when I bought them so I'll have a look back on the thread to see if I can find that post. Honestly, ridiculous.
    It sounds like you need to rest a bit to recover properly from your gym and pilates work. When you think you haven't really worked your muscles like that for a couple of months it's not really surprising mind you.

Didn't run yesterday as I got up too late and it was far too hot. Still went out too late today and it was horrific.. insects and heat. If I haven't left the house before 7am at the moment forget it. We've just had a good storm though so hopefully that will cool things down a bit.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I've never run with a pace group either except for a few minutes when passing or being passed by them and I agree it's quite stressful running so close and you can see some runners struggling to stay with the group. 
     I think you have to let your own race evolve and there'll be times when you can enjoy the company of other runners and tick along quite nicely together then if you split up just let it happen.

Ian - when I sneaked a look at your race results yesterday you were then 3rd V45 and your OH was 2nd V45.   I hope those placings still stand and you both get a well deserved prize.

Mamafox - the following year when I went to Wales to do the same marathon again where we'd been savaged by horseflies I did look up on the internet ways to deter them.   Apparently they don't like garlic so for a few days before the race I ate garlic at every meal.  I did see a few horseflies during the race, but not as many as the year before.   I didn't get bitten though.

Sounds like your shoes are GT2000, very good shoes.   I have a pair of GT1000 which are basically the same shoe, mine have the model written on the outside.

Talking of shoes my two new pairs are being delivered this afternoon, good service as I only ordered them on Saturday and it's free delivery (Wiggle).

I've no intention of resting, I'm back on my mission now to get my body fat down to 20%.  But I can't do any long runs, I don't have the energy for that, I might do one long run the week before Plym Trail and that will be that.
    Lovely Pilates class, amazingly my hamstrings seemed in much better shape than I expected.  We did more hip flexor work too, all good for running.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Mama-I'm often glad we don't get the weather like you guys get,must make it so hard to run in.
    Shades-I think with the low numbers allowed they will keep the age group prizes to winners only and I understand why.
    Done my usual after work loop today despite being off,I was going to extend it to 10 but it would have meant a big hill and my legs didn't fancy that just yet.
    Another advantage of yesterdays run is that is pretty much my tempo pace now,I think most places say about your hour pace so slightly slower is about right so gives me a solid number to work with.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - you were both very highly placed and PB's are better than prizes.

Yesterday's pace will also be your lactate threshold pace.

New shoes arrived, lovely.  I'd forgotten that Wiggle put a little freebie in with their orders.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Shades: you lucky thing. Wiggle don't do that for abroad orders. 

Mamafox: we're not normally like this. It's very weird weather for us! Yes, it's a strap of fly paper that you put to the back of your cap. I'll try to find a picture. 7am Max is quite early. I hope the storm has managed to calm it down. 

I'm trying to work out if we still go to Iceland next week. It looks like both Iceland and the Netherlands are announcing new rules on Friday/Saturday regarding tourists so it could make any decision already for us? But other than that, the weather outlook for the week is 12c and rain all day. That's just not fun with kids. 
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Shades - That's a nice touch with the Haribos.. good, fast service too. Will you be taking the shoes out for a birthday run?!
    We eat a lot of garlic anyway so I dread to think what it would be like if I didn't. Maybe french horseflies are immune to garlic...
    After trawling through the thread I found my post about the shoes but I hadn't noted the model. I've Googled the 2000s and yes, they're the GT 2000 6 model. Can still get them now. Got onto that Runrepeat site and got carried away on a shoe ramble. Didn't notice the time passing  :p
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Here you go mamafox. Some inspiration for you
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    xpost Emmy.. That is an AMAZING photo.. look at all those flies!! I think I might try that, thank you very much for posting that photo!

Iceland in the rain with toddlers does not sound like a good idea. Especially if you end up being stuck either side with quarantine issues  :#
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Emmy, tricky, especially if the weather's not great.  Can you move things around and not lose too much money?

Shades, I had a pair of shoes turn up too as I ordered another pair of Saucony Guide ISO 2; only my second pair but I like them so I got another pair.  

MF, I use those Asics too - I get a lot of mileage out of them.  They're my "go to" shoe really.

Cal, regarding shoes I'm considering going to the "dark side" ;)  I seem to be perusing Nikes as well but at the moment I can't quite bring myself to part with the cash as I'm a tight arse!  Zoom Fly 3 is what I'm looking at, but I'm really not sure!

Regarding races, as you know I'm not planning to go to Warsaw anyway as the flights were cancelled.  I thought I'd lose the race entry, but it turns out I probably won't as it looks I may be able to defer to next year at the least.  They've today announced on their site that we'll be getting an email with options tomorrow I think.  They've got 2000 entrants, but I think they are splitting the race up into 4x250-entrants over 2-days, so currently they're oversubscribed.  They're changing the course to make it 5k loops of the centre as well.   I think at the moment that just leaves Frankfurt to decide what they're doing for me, although I won't be going regardless due to flights.  I do have Windermere (deferred from earlier this year) in November and I wonder what they're planning, what with cases expected to rise in the winter.

Anyway 6-miles for me this afternoon.  It was warm but I had an enjoyable run, with about half of it in the shade of trees.  13.5 for the day.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - it's only a little bag of Haribos but I guess we're all a bit like kids being given some sweeties.

Wow, never seen anything like all those bugs/flies, not sure if I'd like them dying on my hat.   I've seen some runners using those veil hoods to keep away the midges when running events in Scotland.

Hope you can sort something out for a little holiday elsewhere if necessary.

Mamafox - I'll be trying out the NB Fresh Foam More tomorrow, they feel so comfy, never used them before.  The Cliftons will have to wait until Thursday, I already have a pair of 3's, these are 6's.   Hokas are really popular here and very difficult to get them at a bargain price, they were more than I usually pay for shoes..

That runrepeat is a great website.

The GT2000 is a popular shoe I think ASICS will be making them for a few more years.

That might explain why the French horseflies are so aggressive, they're immune to garlic.   ;)

Big G - well with the mileage you're doing you need to keep your shoe stock up.   Guides are great shoes, I still prefer the 9's and even better the 10's.  Looking forward to trying the 13's when the price drops.

Have you had a chance to try on the Nike shoes? How much are the Zoom Fly 3's?
    I ran my first marathon in Nike's and got a blister, but that was due to warmer weather rather than a problem with the shoes.  Since then I've not been able to find any that fit/suit me as most too narrow in the forefoot, but I haven't tried on any for a while.  Ditto with Adidas. 

That's good news about Warsaw.

Can't see Frankfurt going ahead now, they've stopped taking entries so just a matter of time before they let us know, I think.