Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Shades  - fair enough, ive only recently started using a Garmin. I'll be working to their distance markers anyway. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    TR - we're going to have mile markers anyway.

My Garmin would normally measure a marathon at about 26.4 miles, on a multi lap course with bends etc I would expect it to measure it even longer.  Mind you I've only run one marathon with the Garmin I'm using now.
  • Options
    It is here I have been for a short walk to test ;) The laziness of exercise and doing nothing other than occasional (i bloody hope so anyway) charging only required due to bluetooth via phone Garmin connect link
    Amusingly training is peaking and i need to do a race..... More to do with heat last week and less exercise i'd say. Just need to select some bluetooth headphones and connect to laptop to get some music onto it and its sorted ;) First proper test tomorrow afternoon as i have a offsite meeting so i shall run home being its 3-4 miles away.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-She has indeed,will be 10 months so a good build up,we took her back a few weeks in April after Barca got moved to give her a chance to rest.
    As for me,that's 9x18-22 mile runs in 14 weeks,way more than ever before.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Don't quite know how they have managed this,but the super fast 5k race I did last year in Cheshire has managed to get an entry from Gerda Steyn who won Comrades last year and was the first woman to run sub 6 on the up course.I am still on the waiting list but can't see me getting a place as no one wants to release and it was only cheap.
  • Options
    Hmm Garmin phone app has an array of new stats listed on it now. Training status, stress, body battery and respiration have now appeared plus runing a HR sensor gets me my sleep back too. The HR data line was always therre a i was using it for actual running only but also did it biking too to see how the HR compared. Oddly broadly similar. With this one being a tighter fit will slowly acquire data for both and see how it really does compare. I would imagine peak HR will be similar cos hills on bike but would expect the overall HR to be lower cos i can coast on a bike. Be intrigued if it flags up and exercise stimulus (or whatever Strava prefers to call it) on my walk to work in a bit.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Shades: I didn't see your message but took everything nice and slow and no hamstring niggle. I did walk some of the hills though! 

Re: Garmin distances on multiple lap courses. I've had everything from 25.9 to 27miles. Enigma was always 26.4 bang on. 

Keith: good luck with the watch! 

Managed 5miles this morning. Was very cold (half of what I've seen in NL) but beautiful to be running so early. The elevation is incredibly high for me but I enjoy it. Also, got to see a beautiful deer and baby cows.

• Options
    That looks like a lovely run, Emmy - amazing they let you get so close!

Seven miles for me today including seven hill reps on Theatre Street in Clapham. It's an 8-9% with a decent pavement and fairly constant gradient, and the parallel road next to it makes for an easy hill circuit. I was going for six but decided to do a seventh - legs started to struggle a bit so decided not to go for an eighth.
    Three tabby cats on my run today - one was at the bottom of Theatre Street and watched me go past a couple of times before departing. I passed another later on and said hello to him and he meowed back at me.
    This runner has gone two days without an accident.
  • Options
    Emmy - Great photos.
    Cal - Sounds like a tough hill.
    Ian - That's super consistent long runs, will put you in a good position for the marathon. Well done to your OH too, it's a long time to build up to the marathon, but will mean she gets a great time.

Easy 6 miles today, 9:33 for 120 bpm.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - that was good service.   I have Garmin Connect on my phone since having my latest Garmin, drains the battery on the phone, I've noticed a significant difference.  I don't like the app though so don't use it.

Ian - that's a lot of long runs.

Emmy - glad the hamstring was OK as it looks from the graph that you've been mountaineering.    Lovely photos, must have been refreshing to run in 'cold weather'.

Cal - you're on a roll now with the 'no falls',  ;)    How's your arm?

Had a great circuits class, instructor worked us really hard.   Then lower body session in the gym, followed by food shop.   I'm only using my car once a week since races stopped and every week I say I'm going to treat my car to a top up of petrol as I'm still on the petrol which I put in the car last December, I'm sure it can't be good for the car.   But we've had torrential rain all morning so I couldn't be bothered to go and get petrol so next week I will put petrol in the car.  ;)
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Shades: definitely! My gosh! Your car hasn't had a fill since December?! Good to hear that you worked hard! 

Yes, it felt like mountaineering in some places.
  • Options
    Steve, it's a good hill for reps - definitely not as steep as some of those I do around Crystal Palace/Streatham area, but good for repeats as it's sprintable (is that even a word?) I rather enjoyed it.

Shades, circuits and lower body? Ouch.
    Arm felt fine this morning so risked doing upper body in the gym. It was OK with the shoulder stuff (lateral raises, kettlebell upright rows and rear delt flye - I do these three as a triset). Not so happy with the incline dumbell press. Did my lightest set (12.5kg) no issue, but then moved up to the 15kg and it let me know in no uncertain terms that it was not cool with that. Went back and did another set with the 12.5s. That was the only issue, so it's good progress considering I couldn't even straighten it fully on Monday.
    Left hand was OK holding the dumbless but didn't like holding a medicine ball for ab work - I guess with the dumbells, the weight is mostly on the inside of the hand, but the ball requires the whole hand to grip. It wasn't too bad though. Not a bad session considering.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    10 miles,legs were a little tender from yesterday so decided to go along the front to avoid hills,forgetting how much the wind can affect down there,got it done though so another ticked off.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Cal: good news about the arm! Yes, they were super comfortable which surprised me too. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - today's circuits was a strength and conditioning session mostly on core so a lot of upper body stuff.  By the final circuit which is always the hardest as also the longest I was flagging as I did upper body in the gym yesterday.

I'm impressed with the 12.5 kg never mind the 15 kg, especially as you're a bit injured.

Ian - if it's not the heat or humidity, it's the wind challenging us.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Think I'd be happier with the heat than the wind today.
    Think I've found a better alternative for me than Dorney,there is one at Elvington airfield nr York,100 miles closer than Dorney,as it's an airfield it will also be open to the elements but it has a 3km runway and no tight turns.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I saw something about Elvington but what I saw wasn't a marathon, unless it's a different date. October was the one I saw.

I've done a marathon round an airfield and they are very windy places.  

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Could be the same race and they have added the marathon 
    https://racebest.com/races/vsy4s
    Same date as Dorney,closing date is Sep 23rd so I will keep an eye on the amount of entries.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Good running all, and nice pics Emmy.

Keith if you're interested in those types of stats/graphs, have you seen the "Elevate for Strava" plug in?  It's pretty good.  Also, the Runalyze website is decent too.

As I was slightly worried about the knee, I was wondering what to do and in the end went out for a 6-miler this afternoon as it did feel okay.  I decided to take it really, really easy (HR for the mile splits was 125-131) and the knee was okay.  In fact, at that low HR, on this route it was still quicker than my earliest attempts when I started HR training, which is encouraging in its own way (one of the first times I did this route my HR on the splits was 137-139, at the same overall pace/time that I did today).  I think I may take it fairly easy the next few days whilst doing what I can in terms to keep the running ticking over at an easy effort, and see how the knee goes.  I'm hoping it will be fine if I'm careful.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that looks a really good event, why are you hesitant to enter now?   Or have you already entered Dorney?

If it was a windy day it would probably be windy at Dorney too and at least you'd be 100 miles nearer home.

Big G - and there was me thinking you hadn't been out for your run as it didn't stop raining until late today  ;)

Glad the knee was OK though.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Shades, I was genuinely going to have rest day today after yesterday, but definitely the rain didn't appeal this morning!  But by mid-afternoon it felt okay so I gave it a go.

In Trotters training news, up until about 2pm all the 30 available slots were fully booked, but then two cancelled and they weren't rebooked.  The system is working brilliantly and there have been no real complaints, which is great.  
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-No I haven't entered Dorney,I was waiting to see what happened with the weather but 2 weeks out it would still be hard to guess so might just go for it.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - you might want to schedule your rest day for tomorrow as Storm Ellen is due to hit us here in the SW late today and tomorrow too.

Good to hear the booking system is working well for the Trotters, must be better for the coaches too as they know how many and who will be turning up.

Ian - yes, I think you should just enter one of them, our weather is far too variable to have any idea of what it might be like on the day.

8 miles this morning.   I woke in the night to go to the loo and my hamstrings felt really sore when I got out of bed.   This morning they were even worse, rest of my legs seemed OK.   I did consider taking a rest day but I might not be able to run tomorrow morning depending on how bad the storm is.    Had planned my 4 miles flat/4 miles hilly route today so set off and hamstrings were sore running on the flat so I figured I might as well go for the planned route.   They hurt on the flat, going uphill and going downhill and didn't ease at all during the run, in fact by the time I got to the last miles my quads, adductors and glutes had started to give me some grief too.   Last mile was really hard, legs so tired and glycogen depleted, but all good training as I had to dig deep.    I know what has set my hamstrings off, in circuits we were doing deadlifts with a light barbell but lots of reps and on the last set the music happened to be Meatloaf, Bat out of Hell, and I did them really fast, I like deadlifts one of my favourite exercises. 😭
  • Options
    Ian - I'd agree with shades, the weather changes too much and you are already in great shape to run a big marathon PB.
    Shades - Impressive use of petrol!! I think mine was filled in March, but will need some soon.
    Cal - Glad the arm was ok. Yeah sprintable could be a word, I defo know what you mean by it!

12 miles with 4 miles at MP/tempo which came out to 6:47/51/54/44.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades/Steve-I have entered Elvington,hopefully it is big enough to allow everyone plenty of space,filling up quite a bit in the last few days so should be a good turnout.
    Shades-Sounds like a hard run,hopefully recover ok for tomorrow.
    Steve-Nice MP milers,I was going to attempt some of them today but the wind might affect it.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, forecast looks very bad for tomorrow!

7.5 miles for me this morning and I had an enjoyable run out.  It felt a bit fresher today, which was welcome.  It's a route I do regularly and I run past a friend's house and today he was out there moving 4 tonnes of gravel with a shovel.  We had a chat for 5mins and then I left him to it....  Also, whilst out on the trail, there was a lady out riding her horse.  Now, I know nothing about horses but he seemed very happy to be out there as did the rider.
  • Options
    I was planning an MLR for today but I didn't sleep well, achilles was gnarly all night and I woke up with a sore right foot. Pain is around the ball of the foot - pretty much the exact same thing I had in 2011, only not as severe. Back then was when I found I had a cyst, which was later removed, but I actually think the cyst wasn't the cause of it (it was on the side of my foot, where you'd get a bunion). I suspect it's metatarsalgia. I have four of the things that predisposes people to it - a longer second toe (oddly, I don't have a longer second toe on the left foot, just the right), a callus towards the middle of the forefoot, thin fat pads and stiff ankles (poor dorsiflexion).
    I did have a bit of a walk before I went to the shops and I could feel it then although it wasn't excrutiating (back in 2011 it was really painful).
    When I had it in 2011, I'd done some hill sprints the day before, albeit on a much smaller, less steep slope than I did yesterday, so that's something as well.
    The timing could not be worse as I am just about ready to ramp up training for my races, so I'm off to my physio tomorrow to see if I can nip it in the bud.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    @cal: I really hope your physio can help you. 

@shades: I've heard there's a bad storm coming your way. Hopefully it won't be too bad. We're at 32c here today so enjoying a day in the shade. 

BigG: didn't fancy helping your friend move the gravel? 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Emmy, well, I would have offered but unfortunately he only had one shovel ;)
  • Options
    Ian congratulations on the pb at the weekend, impressive chunk off your best

Shades well done for getting out this morning, have a bbq this afternoon and forecast is a bit blowy, tomorrow round my mums and looks like rain, need my umbrella in the garden.

Cal good luck with the physio hope you can find a solution, well done for another day staying on your feet.

Big G the trail mara you've entered sounds sounds like a good place to ease back into racing.

Steve nice effort miles in your run

Emmy lovely photos.

9 miles today, could have easily missed the run today as didn't feel motivated about getting out.  75 miles for the month so far, although I'm not trying to chase miles I should run my biggest month since Sept 2018 before injury and the fall.

There have been posts on facebook (in another group) that podium 5k won't be getting any more licences as the races are too dangerous? Don't know if there is any truth in it as can't see any mosts on their fb page either.