Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Achilles quite sore first thing this morning, whereas yesterday they were pretty good all day.  No real rhyme or reason to that, as far as I can tell.  My Nikes are arriving today (3 days early), but I'm going to leave it as I know I shouldn't really run today.  I asked for my Torbay Tri membership card to be sent to me so it should be here today or tomorrow all being well.  Then I can join the gym and use their bikes and pool as I think on balance I'd prefer that over making regular use of a turbo at home.

Shades, I did see that Indian Queens Half is hoping to go ahead on 20th Dec.  There's not a lot of info at the moment but they've got a license for that date now, and more info will appear on their Facebook page in due course.
    https://www.runbritain.com/RaceDetail.aspx?eventid=75b80ec8595e&raceid=74b40dcf595f

• Options
    Right, OK, so normally when I plug my Garmin into the PC, a message pops up in the corner of the screen saying it's uploaded to Connect. So I don't usually bother with Express unless, for some reason, the message doesn't come up (which is now isn't) or I need to sync it again to download an update (which I do need to, as it happens, though the watch is working fine without it).
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - achilles seem to be a law unto themselves, how they will be in the morning that is.   That's good news on the new shoes arriving early, at least you'll have them when ready to run.

Will be much better if you can do your rehab in the gym/pool, very hard to keep the motivation going at home.

Indian Queens is usually in August isn't it?   I hoped to do it one day but don't think I want to race in December.

Cal - so Express is another way of uploading data.  
    I just find the Garmin software so wobbly, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

Good gym session, gym busy on max capacity of 25 but still able to use what equipment I wanted to without delays.

Popped into shop on way home and bought a new cooker, delivery on Thursday  :)
  • Options
    Ian - Sorry to hear about that guy, but very well done for taking care of him until help arrived.
    Rob - Yes, I used to do the back to back long runs for ultras, defo good training on those for the long races.
    Big G / Shades - I also want a pair on NB 1080v10!! Will wait for them to drop in price though.
    15 miles on Saturday for a 50 mile week. Today was 12 miles with 6m at around MP -10s a mile (I was aiming for 6:30-40). Reps came out to 6:33/33/31/34/33/30, happy with that, felt strong during those.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Steve: thats a good even pace there! 

Shades: wasn't Wolverhampton the most boring marathon ever? Or was that Stevenage? I remember one of them had a reputation for being dull? 

Big G: good idea for the Tri club/using their facilities. Does that mean you'll be dipping your toes into triathlon now? 

Cal: are you still having issues with Garmin? I know a few friends were reporting issues as it was down for a while. 

I did another lunch run. It's nice to get out for a bit of speed and managed to do the run, shower and eat within an hour. It looks like I'll be back in the office every week or so but they've given me an absolute monster of a car to drive. It feels like a tank :/ 

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Race cancelled,I wasnt sure whether to do it or not anyway so not bothered.
    12 miles today,felt hard so hopefully just one of them days.
  • Options
    Ian let me know what races your planning and I’ll avoid them! I’ve seen some charities on Facebook offering £20 fee and raise £50 don’t know what others are asking for.

Emmy  Steve Edwards who’s ran 800+ marathons describes Stevenage as one of the worst marathons he’s done, I work close by so know the route, I don’t think it’s awful but thankfully the marathon is only every 10 years, next instalment should be 2024. I’ve done the half a few times.

steve well done on the 50 mile week, the 50 mile week seemed popular last week

Cal I saw on Facebook that there were issues garmin, hope it sorts itself soon.

shades My gym never seems to be full, I don’t know what it was like precovid.  Hope all works okay with the oven.  Leg still feels a bit numb in places but it’s a lot better, also still a bit bruised on the scaring under my knee but no pain.

Big g hope the nikes help

Our neighbour went away for a couple of weeks at the weekend, she had got people to look after her dogs. I night and her friends gave up, she frantically called us to see if we can help.  So for the next couple of weeks we’re looking after their 2 dogs and 2 cats.  They need to have one of us stay at all time as they keep on wanting to mate, if we separate them in different rooms they bark and cry.  

Managed to get out for a short run this evening to stretch the legs, think I’ll use this time dog sitting as cutback weeks 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, you've not had much luck!  That marathon you've entered is on a closed circuit isn't it, so probably more likely to be able to go ahead.

Emmy, ha ha, no I've got no thoughts of doing a Tri.  But I need to do something if I'm not running much as I don't want to balloon in weight and want to try and keep some kind of fitness.  2 or 3 years ago I did look at a local run-bike-run event, but I didn't get around to entering it.  I am a member of the local Tri club as they meet for running just one mile from my house and it works well, although I haven't ran with them as much as I'd hoped.  They're a good bunch though.

Robert, good luck keeping the dogs apart!

Cal, I too saw there was some issue with Garmin for some users, so hopefully it's all sorted now.

Steve, well done again.  You're getting those sessions in really consistently.

Unfortunately those Nikes aren't for me.  Not the achilles area, but just the general feel of them wasn't quite right when they were on whilst I was in the house.  I did a short (1-mile) run in them and the achilles area felt okay but although I felt the laces were correct, my foot was moving from side to side in them and they just didn't feel comfortable.  If in a shop I wouldn't have bought them, so they're packed up ready to go back.  Those NB are a bit pricey but I have ordered a pair which will be coming tomorrow, as the achilles area does seem quite good in them from the pics and reviews I've seen.

Achilles seems okay this morning, and I've done my exercises and stretches, and will be walking up to work with OH again this morning.  I'm hoping the Tri club card turns up today and I can get signed up at the gym.  Currently my weight is still good but I do feel I need to do something exercise-wise!  If the card doesn't arrive today I'll give the membership secretary a nudge.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Robert: that's such a nice thing to do. What a responsibility to have! 

Ian: I think we're having the same luck. Found another race for October... Full. I did Stevenage Marathon in 2014 and it was the dullest race ever. It was the underpasses. 

Big G: sounds like a good idea to return the shoes. I hope the gym card turns up. 

5miles for me this morning with the dogs. 9c so a bit of a chill but it was fine once I warmed up. I seem to be having no luck with races (as mentioned above). Another race found but they're all full. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I forgot to say, I've been doing an online Covid questionnaire via an app most days for the last few weeks, and I got an email yesterday asking if I want a Covid test.  I still have no symptoms but I got asked if I wanted a test and I've said yes to it just as a matter of interest really.  I very, very much doubt I've got Covid, but it's a home-test kit and easy to do, so I thought I'd give it a go.  I've got to do the test and post it back via one of three specific post boxes as soon as possible, and I'll get the results via email/text one or two days afterwards.  I could have driven to a test site, but doing it at home is easier really.  The test is just to see if I've got Covid at that moment in time so it doesn't tell me if I've had it already, which is the thing I'm mainly interested it, but still interesting to know I suppose.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I had a random one the other week and I wouldn't say they are easy to do.
    I had to get mine picked up by courier as it had to stay chilled.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, mine must be a different test I think, as this one just gets posted back via a post box. 
  • Options
    Which Nikes were they, Big G?
    Emmy I think Dorney might still have spaces.
    Watch is still not uploading automatically and tech support has not got back to me still. But as I said, I can still get the data off it so I'm alright for now.

Wanted to get an MP run done today so settled on Battersea Park as the best option as it is wide and flat, and the local road triangle I often use for tempos is getting a bit busier (there are no roads to cross but it's an industrial bit with vans and lorries sometimes coming out of drives, and one side has a school which will probably be open today).
    I did have to stop three times for traffic on the way there (I set out at 5:50 so was in the park before 6:30), but somehow got lucky on the home run even though it was later and busier.
    Once I'd got to the park (3 miles away) I started on my MP tempo. I was thinking about either doing two lots of a three miles with a recovery mile in between, or try for six straight through. As it was, I was in a pretty good rhythm after three MP miles so I stuck with it, and ended up doing 7 MP miles before heading back home.
    MP splits were 9:07 (a little slow but still sub-4 pace)/8:55/8:51/8:50/8:58/8:54/8:49. Not sure I can do that for 26 miles but I'm pretty happy with that nonetheless.
    The full run was a 2:07 half marathon which is faster than any of the HMs I ran in the first half of 2015 - amazing how we progress.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, they were the Peg 37s.  They were the correct size length-wise, but they just didn't feel quite right width-wise.  A bit surprising as the Zoom Flys fit like a glove.
  • Options
    Ian - Gutted another race cancelled.
    Big G - unlucky on the Nikes, but good that you can send them back.
    Cal - Superb MP run.

Easy 6 miles today (9:44 min/miles for 120 bpm!), right at the bottom end of the HADD range!
  • Options
    Yeah I've never tried the regular Pegs - they don't really appeal. The turbos are, at least, light, and they feel pretty snappy. They're a great tempo shoe.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - good splits there
    Let me know when/if you see those NB shoes drop in price, I'll do the same for you.   

Emmy - Wolverhampton was 2 laps, not a boring course and quite varied and when they amended the course to go around paths on some housing estates it had lots of turns so wasn't boring as on the 2nd lap it wasn't that easy to remember which way to go.  Must have been Stevenage.

Emmy/Robert - I did Stevenage in 2004 and although I remember a lot of subways I had a good run there.   I think if you have a good run then you feel more kindly towards an event and vice versa.   

Robert - well you are a really good neighbour and your neighbour has some not so good friends, although of course there could have been unforeseen circumstances. 

Do you have to book the gym in advance?   They're making some small changes from next week with times for the gym and I think soon to bring back some gym staff from furlough which will be good,

Ian - oh no, still really annoying even though you weren't sure if you were going to run it.
    We had a Zoom meeting last night and one guy has booked 5 holidays this year and all have ended up being countries with quarantine restrictions brought in quite close to departure date, he's given up and is holidaying now in the UK.

Big G - that's disappointing about the Pegasus shoes but if they don't feel right it's not worth persevering.    Will be interested in your review of the 1080's, if they suit you and your achilles well then it will be money well spent.

Cal - great splits today.
    Hope Garmin starts to behave, it's so annoying when it doesn't.

No running today, my rest day.   Gentle circuits was good and not so gentle, today he was focussing on technique and as he knows each of us quite well he individually amended our technique on each exercise just to increase the training effect.   Gym after, upper body.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Regarding the quarantine rules, two mates of mine are going to Prague in a couple of weeks.  I was invited but declined, and then of course Czech Republic is now on the list where quarantines are needed.  I spoke to one of them yesterday and they're still going - they are both working from home and their employers are okay with them going.  For me, I wouldn't go in that instance as 3 or 4 days abroad isn't worth it for me to have to quarantine, from a running/exercise perspective if nothing else!  OH and I have booked a few days away in Wales, so hopefully that will be fine.  If not, we can cancel the hotel on the day of arrival if we have to.

I've dropped the Nikes back off at the PO, so hopefully the refund will appear back in my account in the next few days.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    This upcoming holiday started as USA,then got changed to Fuerteventura,last week we changed it to Sardinia,now that's looking ropey,so may end up getting changed to Cyprus.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I wonder does quarantine restrictions affect travel insurance?   Anyway it's not worth having to self isolate for 2 weeks as you say not allowed to go out at all now.   Not even to walk the dog...if you had a dog that is  ;)

Ian - I thought Cyprus had really strict entry regulations re Covid, or has that been relaxed now.

Right I'm hoping this is not the kiss of death to what few races we have but marathon list coming up..
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Big G - are you after a neutral every day shoe? Ive used Asics Cumulus, Nimbus, nike Pegasus (i had a pair of Pegasus 1 back in the day), Saucony Triumph and Ride......ive said it loads of times, but the Ride is one of the best, great value for miles when you get them for £50 or 60 (i need to get a new pair for Goodwood). Pegs are ok everyday shoes, but the rides are better for long runs and going quicker in. The Triumph would be more heavy duty. Imo they are better than pegs.  Asics are heavy, but good mileage munchers.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, it's so time consuming trying to get things booked.  OH and I have decided we're not bothering with foreign trips for the foreseeable future.  We do have a trip to Netherlands booked in November, but we may well cancel that - we'll decide nearer the time.  OH is obviously keen to see her friends and family there but with her job she can't quarantine.  She can't really work from home, as working on lions, tigers or giraffes at home is probably frowned upon ;)  

It was funny though as a Giant Tortoise escaped yesterday.  They have large boulders all around the enclosure and the assumption is that he somehow managed to get over one of those, without toppling backwards.  He was lured back in by the keepers bribing him with carrots and cucumber and there were some pics that were quite amusing.  I got a text off OH saying he escaped again this morning though....they're not stupid!

Thanks TR.  I'm currently specifically looking for something that won't irritate my achilles though, so I don't want the material to be too plush/thick or high in that area.  The NB have a heel collar that kind of tapers away from the achilles/ankle, and it's thin material there, so I am hoping they may help me be able to run a bit.  The Zoom Flys I raced in last week have a similar tapered heel collar and they didn't irritate me that day, but I don't need a carbon plate for an every day shoe.  The issue with the Zoom Flys is that they're difficult to run slowly in for a training run!  I do use Saucony and have the Guide ISOs.  I like them a lot, and my "go to" shoe is usually the Asics GT 2000 as I get a lot of miles out of them, but I recently noticed they have a high heel collar which isn't helping me at the moment.  I got a lot of miles out of a pair of Sketchers, funnily enough, but I can't find them for sale at the moment.  

Mixed memories seeing that list, Shades.  Especially that Enigma double with a 3:44 followed the day after by a 4:53, and a DNS on the third day.  Ooooph!  Funnily enough I was looking back at Marrakech yesterday in terms of my race report and pics etc.  That was a really good weekend away.  Afterwards, I wasn't sure if I'd do the event again only because I have a long list of races I'd like to do, but it was a great weekend and place to visit, so if I go back I'd probably tie it in with the event if I could.  I guess I'm at best 50/50 about Plym Trail at the moment though....
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    TR - would you like to go on the marathon list, you're very welcome?

Big G - your OH working from home would bring a whole new meaning to  'the elephant in the room'  ;)

I'd forgotten about the DNS, we don't mention them on here.    :)

I have been through all my current running shoes, and there are quite a few, various brands and various models and the only pair with the flared heel are my NB shoes

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, the 1080s seem similar. If anything more severe I think, which is good. 

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - the NB's seem to stand out with the flared heel tab, it's on a few of their models, not all though.

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Qaurantine itself doesnt affect travel insurance,but if they put all but essential travel then that invalidates near enough all insurance.
    Cyprus want a test no more than 72 hours before departure,luckily we can both get one easily.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Shades - thanks, but no thanks, i only do 1 or 2 a year usually.

Big G  - id just focuss on doing a set or 2 of calf raises on a step after each run and save the Nikes for sessions and races. I find the Pegs have high arches at first but wear in. I bought a pair of 4% in the Black Friday sales, only worn them once in a 10k do far, and they rere really high under my arches too, probably need wearing in too. But they are for short races only at the mo, they were unstable and the arches would annoy me in a longer race. Might be worth getting a pair of next % black friday,  track the nike website in black friday week, i paid £120ish for the 4%, the price dropped a few days in a row.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    TR, I’m doing quite a lot of heel raises per day at the moment.  And doing a lot of work on the slant board along with a massage gun on the calfs, so fingers crossed it’ll get a bit more manageable soon. 

I'm now a member of a gym for the first time in years!  It's just for the spinning and swimming, plus access to the cycling velopark.  I have my first spinning session tonight so hoping it goes okay.  As I said earlier, I need to do something whilst I can't run much!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I've just had my renewal quotation for my annual travel insurance, Europe only and premium is the same as last year at £27 which is surprising.  I never had cover for cancellations re Covid or anything similar.  I have the cover for medical expenses which does include Covid and also my marathons which is the main criteria for me.    When there are marathons of course. ;)

TR - that's OK.   Wasn't sure if you did quite a few as you're planning 2 in 2 weeks soon.   :)

Big G - congrats on the gym membership and good luck at the spin class.   😉

Diamond League on this evening BBC RB and online I expect.