Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Maybe the Achilles  is due to the bigger drop?
    How do you find the sizing compared to other shoes? And what type of price do you usually find them for?
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, the Asics GT 2000 I used to run in all the time were 10mm drop, but these NB are 8mm.  When my achilles was bad though, I couldn't run in the Asics at all as the heel collar is quite plush and rubbed where the achilles hurt, whereas the material at the heel of the NB is much, much thinner and it's flared away from the heel.  One draw back is if you do any trails at all (even very light trails) grit easily falls down the back of the shoe.

Sizing is true to size for me but I did read that some have gone half a size up, but my usual size works for me.  I have the wider version for longer runs, but I've had no problems with the standard width either.  It's just in the summer or on longer runs I thought I'd appreciate the wider fit so went for those and they've been fine too.  When I stocked up I paid £81 a pair (with club discount), when sportsshoes had them on a sale.  I haven't had a proper look but getting hold of the v10 is probably more difficult in the popular sizes as the v11 are out now, and I expect the v11s are not discounted yet as they're new shoes.  
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Shades - sorry, i was just about to go out for my long run. In 2016 i stopped running in the summer and didnt start again until new year, as i had PF and an osteitis pubis type issue (i still manage this now), i was fed up with struggling so stopped. The pf went completely, but i never wear flip flops etc in the summer now.......its taken me ages to get my running back towards where i was.........the Ride 13s are nice, much better than the iso. They are higher and have more underfoot (same drop though), so we'll see if they can still go quick when reqd......they were delivered Thurs so i ran home in them, sadly i had to go through ankle deep water on their first outing. I will use them sparingly until prices drop a bit.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I find the sizing of the NB1080's the same as the Guides.   Only exception is that the section of the upper across the arch is stitched into place, as opposed to the tongue being loose that we're used to in most shoes.  I have a high arch and that makes a very snug fit on the top of the foot, 2nd pair I bought the wide fitting and that's given a more comfortable fit on the arch for me.  But both pairs are a good fit overall, I particularly like the snug heel fit, I've done steep hills in both pairs and my foot doesn't move at all.  

TR - that was a long break you had off for injury.   At least you got rid of the PF.   Any chance of doing the same with the pubis injury?

You mustn't mention flip flops on this thread as it puts my blood pressure up.  😡 Any runner that wears flip flops deserves what they get IMHO.

The Ride 13's sound good, on my list now as I think the ISO's are a very good shoe.  Wore my Rides through the flood today.  I try and not to run through water on their first outing though, but you had no choice.  😉
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Shades - i was tired of struggling so declared "im not running again this year". It didnt fix the OP, that doesnt like doing nothing. I struggled with it a lot after my 2 weeks of CV isolation. Its starting to settle again. Id declared myself rid of it this time last yr and then replaced some fencing that storm Dennis dwstroyed last yr. So it was back last Spring. Its something to live with/manage. But to be fair 70+mpw is tough in yr 50s, so goes with the territory i guess.
  • Options
    Shades - What’s wrong with flip flops for runners?

Ian - Think I’ve mentioned it before but what worked for me with PF was constant rolling on a golf ball/my daughter’s toy. Then again I work at a desk so easier to do all day. I still do it now as a deterrent even though I haven’t had PF for almost a year now. 

15 miles through Richmond common and Wimbledon common. I channeled my inner Cal and hit the hilliest bits I could find. Was fun although everything was rammed given the weather. Think this might be my plan long run wise until May race of alternating something shorter and hillier on softer surfaces one week, and 18-20milers the next. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well, that hurt!  I did a 130k group ride on Zwift today.  Obviously I'm not trained for a distance like that, but I thought I'd give it a go :)  The last 12k are up the toughest climb in the game, but at the bottom of that I'd already had enough.  If everything had gone well, in theory I could have managed 5hrs, but I finished in 5:20.  I'm happy enough with that, but it was very tough.  With 5k to go I wasn't actually sure if I was going to be able to do it, but I did get it done.

I had a freezer box full of food and drinks by the side and I suppose it could be said that it was an interesting way to spend a Saturday.

There were 4000 like-minded individuals who started the event, but not sure how many finished it.  Apparently it's the biggest event that has ever been done on Zwift, and I had no technical issues or anything, so that was good.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I just seen that,that is a crazy length of time on the bike,I'm currently bored at an hour and want to build to 2 but not sure if I'll have the patience.Cougie,who used to be active in here, did it also,and you beat him by 20mins.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, it's funny, as I wasn't bored at all.  There was always something to focus on and on the flat sections in the middle I got in a group and we all kind of worked together, which is the quickest way to get that section done.  I did lose concentration at one point whilst getting a drink and had to work hard to get back on to the group, but it's worth to stay in the group.  I found the climb at the end really tough.  Without Zwift there's no way I'd be sat on a turbo staring at a wall for that length of time, so it is strange how engaging I find it.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I understand about it going faster,when I do a race it's about an hour usually and it seems to go a lot quicker than just riding.
    I'm thinking about building up so if I can't do long runs at least I have some long endurance in me,hopefully we will have an idea on Monday of what's happening again.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I saw that Kofuzi on youtube yesterday released a video comparing NV 1080v10 to the 1011s.  Basically, overall, he really likes it and said that it's an incremental change so if you can get hold of the v10s at a discount get those first.  He did say that he felt the foam in the v11s may be slightly harder and not as springy and was wondering if it's a different composition to the v10s.  Regarding Zwift, I'm similar in that I can definitely see me keeping it going.  I am still wondering whether to take the bike off the turbo when it's nicer weather, but on the other hand if I leave it on there I can see me using the bike more often.  But certainly next autumn/winter I can see me continuing to use it.  I did find it tough yesterday though - for some reason, I had this thought that I'd be able to do it without too many issues but having not trained for anything like that, it's not a surprise I found it tough I suppose!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    TR - I googled your OP injury and it does say it can be managed with stretching etc.  Must be painful at times.

Rcouture - flip flops put tremendous pressure on the achilles, not good for PF either.    Years ago I remember watching a documentary on Jessica Ennis Hill, she was injured with an achilles injury and had to miss an important championship event.  She said her coach had said what did she expect wearing flip flops.   Do a search on the internet if you're not sure whether to ditch the flip flops.

That's a good plan re your weekend long runs.   Mixes it up a bit so keeps it interesting.

Big G - 5 hours +, that's a insane amount of time to sit indoors on a bike.   I agree you definitely have concussion  ;)    Have you got a sore bum today? 

Re the v11 of the 1080's I read the same comment in one of the reviews about the foam, but it was only from one of the reviewers.

10 miles today.   Perfect conditions, mild a little light rain and a gentle breeze.   Did a lap of the industrial estate as an add on and then my favourite 8 mile hilly route on the country lanes.   Saw masses of snowdrops and daffodils, a few crocuses and even the first primroses.   Also saw first lambs of the year, some were 2 or 3 weeks old but I expect they've been kept indoors until now due to cold and then the rain.   Didn't have to run through any floods today, there used to be one section of this route that was regularly flooded but I think that problem has been sorted, at the rear of the prison grounds.   Still ended up with damp feet though due to surface water.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, backside is okay, fortunately!  I'm feeling much better this morning.  Although I felt I was drinking plenty, it turns out I was dehydrated which probably didn't help.  I had 2l of water with electrolyte tabs, 2 cans of coke, 2 gels, quite a lot fruit, 4 energy bars and salted peanuts that I was dipping into.  Although I had the fans on I still get very hot, compared with riding outside.  I think also the fact that the bike is quite fixed in place with little movement is different to riding outside, so I was getting quite stiff.  Outside the bike rocks and rolls as you're riding; you can get a rocker plate for Zwifting to help with that, but I haven't got one.  Would I do something like that again on Zwift though?  Yep :D 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's good news about your bum, don't want another non running injury to stop you running.   Not surprised you were dehydrated after that session.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Impressed that you feel good today.I watched that review and a load of others and will look out for the 1080's at a decent price,best I can see now is £96 after discount.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Sportsshoes had the 1080's for £81 (after club discount) for ages.   But I think the the launch of the v11 has inflated the price of the v10 as reviews of the v11 didn't actually give any reason to buy the newer version   I've seen v9 selling for more than the v10's too.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-It's funny,OH just asked me why don't I just buy them,I said they could be £15 cheaper at some point,she rightly pointed out I spend thousands a year on running so what's £15,couldn't really answer to be honest,it's just the principle.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - she's made a very good point there.   And you're not looking at them as just another pair of running shoes but hopefully a pair that will help you with the PF.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Shades- its more a thing to be careful with. Too much stretchimg or S and C annoys it. Bizarrely ive found that the foam roller helps a bit !......i often look at 1080s but the prices never drop as low as Rides or Pegasus prices do.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, for what it's worth, I paid £109 for my first pair as I was desperate at the time.  I didn't like paying it, but I wanted to try them after reading about the tapered heal, and that's the best price I could find back in September.

Jumped on the bike for an easy ride of around an hour.  In a way, I felt I needed a recovery ride of some sort after yesterday and I did enjoy it today.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Tough run today,no obvious reason why, just one of those that seemed harder than it should have been. Wore my Asics GT 2000 for the first time, felt really nice and comfortable, first time I've worn Asics since my very first running shoe.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    My first run in 4 weeks this morning.  Just 5 miles but felt okay with no dizziness, so I'm very pleased with that.  It felt great to be back out there again after 4 weeks of zero running, in what were reasonable conditions, and although it was a very straight forward route (1 mile to the sea front, 3 miles up and down the sea front and around the harbour, 1-mile home) I did enjoy it.  I did that route as I wanted to be close to home in case I got dizzy, but I'm pleased with how it went. 

Legs felt okay after Saturday's long ride too, so that's good, and will jump on the bike a bit later.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    TR - my foam roller, recently purchased but never used, the middle can be removed and used as a slim mini foam roller that is to be used for less accessible places.   ;)

I can't ever see the 1080's dropping to those sort of prices and I expect our days of those prices are limited for other shoes too.    Have you had a look at the Reebok FloatRide Energy?   I love the fit and cushioning in mine, I can still get those for £50.   The other well cushioned shoes that I've yet to do the research on is the Under Armour HOVR (don't know which model) and the Mizuno Skyrise

Ian - the GT2000 are good shoes.

7 miles today, a little colder but dry and no wind.    Was able to run home on the back roads as it was light enough.   First run for days that I didn't finish up with wet feet.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    xpost Big G - that's great news you had a successful run today.   :)
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Good news on the run.
    Looks like outdoor sports will be allowed from March 29th,hopefully that means races again as long as they have secure processes.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Shades - ooh nice, do you buy same size reebok as saucony ? Ill have a read of reviews.

I also read that outdoor sports from march 29th is rumoured. Possibly involving grass roots footy,  if they allow footy matches the CV safe marathons must have a chance.

Big G - good news, time ti build some run frequency then.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    TR - I found the Reebok's roomier than the Saucony, particularly in the toe box.  When I initially tried them on I though they might be too big but I use elastic laces so once I'd put those on the shoes I had a good snug fit with plenty of room for the toes. 

I actually find the Saucony's a fraction too snug in the toe box, but the next half size up are too big.

Let's hope races will be allowed to go ahead after the 29th March.   I had a deferred entry for a half on the 28th March    :(
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-There is a half here on the 28th also,first race maybe be Boston marathon  :# that could be fun after no training.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - it would be good for you not to have a marathon where you're trying to get a 'time'.   A good way to get you back into marathon training.

If races are allowed in April, not sure that means we can travel long distances to them, I'm assuming not overnight trips anyway as unlikely hotels will be open by then.  You can drive that on race morning I guess, I'm not sure how far it is for you?

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    They are not doing tiers so could well be allowed to travel, guess we will see later.
    The 5 mile relay is very close,last do to enter runs today,we are currently 3 mins behind the top,I know we have a few speedys we have been saving for today,not sure if it will be enough to win.