Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - yes, the rumour is we can travel but hospitality might not be opening until later on, so hotels might be shut and although folk would be able to meet up I doubt that will include overnight stays.
  • Options
    Just been reading back....

TR/Shades:  I have a pair of Reebok Forever Energy. I would order half a size smaller next time, as some of the reviews also suggest. I have also on order a pair of New Balance Fuelcell Propel (version 2) that come highly recommended as a long run shoe: can get these for between £40 and £50 (Sportsdirect or Sportspursuit). At that price I was willing to take the risk. 

Cal: hoping for a speedy recovery for you!

mamafox: re orthoses. Mine were made to fit in one specific Asics shoe. The podiatrist was at great pains to point out that other shoes would require different measurements. From a slightly different angle, I have two friends who are/were GB  athletics team doctors: they are not great fans of orthoses in running shoes. They argue that they should be fitted in one's ordinary day shoes that you might wear for 12 to 15 hours a day and therefore be of greater benefit, with recovery in particular. Might be worth getting a view on this. 

Good to see you back running, Big-g. Don't rush things!

No running here: vertigo. And wish it would go.  
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-It would be about 3 hours I'd guess,same as MK will be, more of a drive than I'd like,will book a hotel in case we are allowed.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Wowee,our club has won the EA virtual 5 mile relay,just pipped Norwich and Aldershot by 30 seconds,they now go on to compete against the other home nations.What is even more impressive is out of our 8 scorers,6 are 15 or under.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    alehouse - sorry to hear you've got vertigo, that can be very frustrating waiting for it to clear up.

Do you like the Reeboks?   I remember you asking me about them a while ago.

Let us know how you get on with the NB Fuelcell Propel when you've had a chance to test them out.   There seems to be quite a few of the less expensive NB shoes worth a bit of research.

Ian - 3 hours isn't so bad, that's about my preferred limit for a race morning drive.   And it makes little or no difference to how your race will go.  But you do need to factor in time for a stop for breakfast.
    It does make for a long day by the time you get home, more traffic on the return drive adds extra time too.

I used to drive to Wolverhampton on the day, that's a 3 hour drive for me and I did get a 10 minute PB there one year.
  • Options
    7.5 miles for me this afternoon. Felt very heavy legged. Not sure if it was my hilly 15 miler on Sunday or what but not a good run. 

I look forward to informed takes here on what Boris’ roadmap might imply for racing as it didn’t really give me a sense of much. Looks like June will be fine but not sure we are any the wiser for things before that barring a release from EA I guess. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture- It will be clearer when EA release their statement but when outdoor sports where allowed last year that meant races were allowed.I'm guessing we are racing again from March 29th as long as they are covid secure.
  • Options
    Ian - Love to hear it. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    RCouture, here is the PDF of the new government guidelines.
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/963491/COVID-19_Response_-_Spring_2021.pdf

Under 29th March, point 102 includes:  "Formally organised outdoor sports – for adults and under 18s - can also restart and will not be subject to the gatherings limits, but should be compliant with guidance issued by national governing bodies".  So as Ian said, we will need to wait for EA to confirm, but it does look like races in a Covid secure environment should be allowed from 29th March.  
  • Options
    Question now that there’s some hope for racing. I have a half booked for the 25th of April (Vitality) 3 weeks before my marathon on the 16th of May. Is a tune-up 3 weeks before too close? I would have though that day should be my last big long run before taper. For what it’s worth I can’t see myself taking it particularly easy on the half either so wonder if it’s not enough time to recover. Just wondering if I should try and defer and keep an eye out for a half earlier in April. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Well that seems a sensible roadmap out of the pandemic, I just hope that the numbers keep reducing so that all these dates can be met.
    I had a message from my gym last night 12th April  :):):)

Ian - if MK and Boston go ahead you'll have to drive on the day unless you get a holiday let, which is a bit too much faff for one night although not impossible.

We'll have to wait now for Sport England/EA to detail the rules for competition, let's hope they don't make it unnecessarily complicated for road races.

Rcouture - a half 3 weeks before your marathon is perfect timing.   Your last long run (14-16ish) is usually 2 weeks pre marathon, then the week before your marathon a 10 miler.   No need to take it easy on your half, race it.   But this time don't take days and days rest after the half marathon, out the next day for a gentle recovery run and back into training on the Tuesday or Wednesday.  :)

My 8 mile hilly town route today, nice bright morning with a sharp wind.   I went out a bit later than I should have which meant I had to deal with more traffic than I would have liked on my hilly lap, there are places with no or very narrow pavement so I like to run freely on the road.   But I was treated to a beautiful sunrise and the sun was out for the last 15 minutes on my run, I could have done with my shades.   B)
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I noticed the bit about holiday lets,and there are some cottage/apartments near both so have emailed asking if they will be open.
    Rcouture- Were you not doing MK on the 5th?
    I race a half either 3 or 4 weeks out and agree with Shades,no rest no taper just race through
  • Options
    Shades/Ian - Ok great will keep it then and just make sure I get all my big 20 milers in before that. Guess I remembered how lengthy the recovery was for my time trial late last year so was cautious. Ian I am down for it but also Richmond marathon on the 16th which I’d prefer as it’s around the corner from me so will probably defer MK. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - hopefully EA won't specify any rules on travelling that far for a race.  I believe the 'stay local' guideline will be removed by then but I did see elsewhere that travel will not be encouraged, not sure how without tiers that could be applied/enforced.   Of course, to us, driving to a race would be essential travel.   :)
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture- That makes sense then,an extra 2 weeks of training will be good also.
    Shades-If they say anything about travel I'm pretty sure it will only be guidance not law,and I've pretty much stuck to it all the way so 1 breach of guidance will be fine.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Back to shoes,the 1080 are neutral and I usually run in stability,with my PF pain usually being in the inner heel,if I'm rolling inwards could that make the PF worse?
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, good point about the NB1080 being neutral.  I'm not really an expert in PF as mine seemed to go quite quickly for whatever reason, but maybe a stability shoe would be better.

I did an FTP test yesterday on Zwift, and I'm hoping to do a 6-week FTP builder programme to see if I can improve my FTP.  It has gone up in the recent weeks, but I'm wondering if a structured training programme will help it.  We'll see.  I did the first session yesterday anyway, with the second one planned later today.

Also in terms of tests, I did a MAF test today, which was my first one since September (well I did a flat 11-mile test in January, which I was very pleased with at that time as there was very little cardiac drift).  It really wasn't ideal conditions today as it was very windy (more details below that clearly show that), but I was pleased really as it's broadly in line with what I was doing towards the end of last summer.

This was on 0.5-mile out and back, and the outward 0.5 mile was into a strong headwind, with the return 0.5 mile with a tail wind, but as always I never feel I make up what I've lost when I've got the tail wind.  Average of each mile was 142bpm, although it did spike to 146 when I turned around each time and through the "wind tunnel" along the sea wall as I got used to running more slowly into the headwind.  So not perfect but I'm happy enough as the averages for each mile were at my target.  Mile and half mile splits below which show the return leg was much more favourable, as they were about 20-secs quicker!
    1.  8:26.  4:24/4:02  
    2.  8:22.  4:19/4:03
    3.  8:29.  4:23/4:06
    4.  8:49.  4:34/4:15 (the wind was very strong the last 2 miles)
    5.  8:47.  4:36/4:12

Miles 4 and 5 don't look great I suppose but the wind was getting worse at that point, not better, and I wouldn't usually do a test in those conditions but I wanted a baseline.  This was an average of 8:35min/mile, which like I say is in line with what I was doing last summer.  If I can get some consistency in over the coming weeks, it'll be interesting to see if I can make some improvements, so we'll see what happens.  1 mile there and 1 mile back for 7 miles for the day.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian -Excessive overpronation can contribute to PF.   But it's normal to have mild overpronation, that's what most people have but they don't necessarily use stability shoes.  You use mild stability shoes, Guides and Adrenalines are often used by runners that have no overpronation issues at all.

If you think you have severe overpronation then perhaps you should be using motion control shoes.

If you're having doubts about spending that much on a neutral shoe, then buy a cheaper pair of well cushioned neutral trainers and see how you get on with them.

Or if you want a well cushioned NB shoe, the suffix numbering on NB shoes is as follows:-
    80 = neutral
    40 = control
    60 = stability
    70 = light stability
    90 = speed

I ran in my 1080's this morning and because I find the heel and arch a snug fit they actually feel very stable to me.   In fact I'm thinking of doing a couple of long run's in the 1080's  to see how I get on.   I tend to overpronate on longer runs as I tire.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - xpost.   That's very good results.   Time to find a new route and not have that turnaround.  ;)
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I don't think I have severe probation,when I started buying proper running shoes I went to 2 different shops for gait analysis,1 said neutral 1 said over pronation so I don't think there is much in it.I race in neutral and have no issues after.
    I've done lots of reading and gripping the heel tight seems to be a common want in shoes  to help with PF.
    Big G-Really good if you feel you are back in that type of shape,just in time to increase ready for racing.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - since you started running, you've got a lot faster and obviously are a more efficient runner.   It's possible that you may have even less need for a stability shoe now that you did originally which is why you can race in neutral and have no aftereffects.   

As I've said many times I use elastic laces in most of my shoes as I want that snug fit, heel included.   I haven't put elastic laces in the 1080's because I already feel I have that snug fit.   I particularly notice the snug heel fit when I'm doing my tougher hills, I don't feel any movement at all on the steep downhills even when I feel I'm running quite fast.   Not sure if Big G feels the same about the heel fit.   

I have other NB shoes but don't get the same fit in the heel with those.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, I also find the heel area snug and have had no issues with any slippage etc.  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Just booked both of my Covid vaccinations.  Every time I checked the Omni calculator my dates kept getting further away so I've been checking the NHS app every day and today it's allowed me to book.  5th March for first one.

Also had a text from my hairdresser too.

Feels like we might have some normality coming back into our lives.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Shades-Great news on the job,my son has his first tomorrow.
    I have a meeting this afternoon so went for an earlier run than usual,felt good to be out,bit windy but tried to keep the effort even.I've noticed a couple of times my HRM seems to drop out for a couple of mins,I wet it before I go,position in the right place, is there any cause of this?
  • Options
    Shades - Good news on the jab (and hairdresser). 

Ian - Mine did that when the batteries were low

10 miles for me at lunchtime along the river. Beautiful and sunny. Surprisingly quiet too given the weather. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian -if that's a new problem with the HRM then as Rcouture says quite likely to be the battery.

I've booked my jabs at one of the big vaccination centres, rather than wait for my GP's practice to contact me and get vaccinated just down the road..  That means I can at the same time take my car on an essential journey of 30 miles round trip and recharge the battery.  
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-How long do batteries last for in them,don't think I've had mine that long.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Boston have cancelled until May 31st,they say they can run it in step 2,but with no local accommodation available they want to wait until step 3
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    That's a shame Ian but understandable I suppose, although quite close to DD!

Great news, Shades.  Hopeful some normality will start to return, as you say.  The test for me personally is being able to (and feeling I can safely do so) book flights which is some way off still.

I did an hour on the bike today for session 2 of the plan, which included 10x10-sec sprints at max power.  Well, it should have been 10 but I only did 9 due to, errrm, a "user error".

2 years ago at around this time I was sitting in a restaurant in Malta with a load of other runners, who turned out to be a Running Crazy group.  It was blowing a gale outside and we were all nervously awaiting news, and sure enough the marathon got cancelled on the eve of the race.  Two years ago, crikey!  I've still got the medal though and I'm glad I picked it up.  I was in two minds whether to bother at the time, but there is a story attached to it.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I certainly won't be doing a marathon a week before DD.
    Funny you mention Malta,I was only looking  before and today was Seville last year,there is no way I'd have guessed that was going to be my last marathon for over a year.