Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Big G - I've not had plantar fasciitis as such but have had some discomfort in the area previously. My physio friend suggested that it its likely due to collagen degeneration which happens as we get older and that taking collagen supplements may help strengthen it. I've been having powered marine collagen for a couple of months (it's pink grapefruit flavoured but still doesn't taste that good!) in the hope that when I start increasing my mileage over the autumn and winter I won't have any issues with my plantar.

You may already be doing similar but I thought it was worth mentioning.   
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Shades - We certainly need rain here though how much that might help food prices is debatable given that’s more of a global inflationary issue. Food commodity prices climbed last year then really rocketed at the beginning of this year due to the war. They have actually fallen back quite a bit in the last couple of months which should eventually feed through to prices at the till but there’s always a lag of several months unfortunately. 

Question, between the heat this week, holidays and my half, it’s not looking likely that I can fit in much if any tempo work this month. I then only have a couple of weeks after the half until taper.  Is it ok to start those tempos in this last two weeks before taper or the risk is too high? I find tempos historically helpful at making MP feel relaxed so a bit concerned at only having a couple of sessions. At the same time I’m really happy with where I am fitness and mileage wise so don’t want to jeopardise that and certainly not risk injury. 
  • Options
    Such a lot of champs so close together this year! Good for us but tough for the athletes.

Rob...yeah, Stevenage isn't what you'd call a pretty town, is it? Bit of a contrast from St Albans a couple of weeks ago. But the parkrun is very nice.

13 miler today (well, a half...can't not do the extra bit can I?) Decided to see how the Invincibles felt over a longer distance. Not sure if it was fatigue or the shoes (I've not slept much the last few nights) but my legs seemed oddly reluctant to move, like I had to keep telling myself to keep going. Scuffed my feet a couple of times (Invincibles are a little heavier and have more sole than the Epics) and found myself being super cautious on any uneven sections as well as downhills and crossing roads. Weird run. But still, it's done.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - I meant food prices for fresh fruit and veg produced here and in Europe, where we get a lot of our fruit and veg.   Europe having worse drought than us at the moment.  Down here a lot of our veg is locally produced and having to pay for water adds to the production costs.

I don't buy organic but this is a big producer down here   Vegetable 'disaster' as Riverford reservoirs run dry - BBC News

Re tempo runs, that's fine for the last 2 weeks before taper.   Tempo pace shouldn't feel that hard and you can always err on the slower end of the tempo pace, which might be a good idea as you don't want that hamstring niggle to reappear before your marathon.   I think you'd still do a marathon PB without any tempo work, but as you say gives you mental reassurance, which is important too.

Cal - Apart from the marathon runners, I don't think it's any different for the athletes as they would normally be racing every week at this time of the year.   There have been 2 Diamond League meetings in the last week too, no Brits at the first as Commonwealth Games clashed but Brits running last night.   It's a shame the marathon runners weren't allowed to put their name down for more than one championship event as for instance Purdue (assuming she's not injured) could have run in the CW or the Europeans as she pulled up in the WC at 19km.

We should be back to normal next year, World Championships again to get us back in sync

Re your MLR in the Invincibles, I think I would find the same if I ran long in the Nova 2's where I got to the stage where my form might suffer if tiring.  I don't like running on uneven surfaces in them.

That's a decent distance in this weather.  :)
  • Options
    Same with Rose Harvey, of course, though I think she actually got covid so not sure how she's doing right now. 
    Good point about the shoes. I'm short on sleep and it's been a big week already so not surprised I feel tired. Weather wise, I actually felt pretty comfortable so I guess I have acclimatised somewhat...though I did go out at 5:30am and I did take water with me.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah, I’ve actually already started a plan, as I preempted what the podiatrist says. I did the FTP test and a ‘benchmark test’ as a precursor, and I’ve done 3 sessions from the plan. I’m not an expert but it seems a good mix with a lot of endurance stuff, and then some harder stuff mixed in. I’ve enrolled on an 8 week plan so we’ll see how it goes. I’ll have to juggle things around as I still want to do races, and with time away etc it may mean I don’t compete every session, but it’s a good focus. The plans, along with the races and all the other features, are all part of the one monthly fee so it’s pretty good really. 

Speaking of races I did a Team Time Trial today, which was as tough as it usually is!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Tommy, I hadn’t heard of that, so I’ll have a look into it. Thanks. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - hope Rose recovers quickly as she might want to run London too.

This time round it's hotter down here than the last heatwave but not so bad, or so humid, early morning.   I went out at 5:30 too and conditions were good.   It's still not easy to sleep for me, but if I have 2 bad nights that's usually followed by a good night.

Big G - I thought you might have already started the Zwift plan, knowing which way the visit to the podiatrist was going to go.   ;)

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - excellent, really enjoyed that.
  • Options
    Hilarious! Although I can't believe he got in the tub with his Alphas on...yikes! :lol:

I think Rose is in for London.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-He goes everywhere in super shoes,serious runner. 😅 love his bedside picture of Kipchoge.
    12 miles in the ridiculous heat,got a lot on this weekend so I've needed to front load the week,legs are fine considering that's 71 in 6 days.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Ian - nice one

Just under 8 for me. First run where didn’t notice the hammy which is nice. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - my first thought too when he got in the hot tub and then the bath with his shoes  :o 

Ian - 12 miles in the heat is impressive, you're definitely very focussed on your training.

Rcouture - great news on the hamstring, must be hot for you too.

6 miles this morning, not so fresh today but OK.   Hills felt hard though, I think the weather is making me a bit weary.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Just keep telling myself I only have a week of real training left.I can't get many in over the weekend so hoping for another 10 later.
  • Options
    Gym for me today. Will be doing a very toasty parkrun tomorrow though...I will finally be getting to Jersey Farm for my J, with Rob.  :)
    (Let's hope there are no train problems).
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Decided to just do the 7 after work.OH is off to London for the weekend wedding dress shopping,and with the trains I'm having to take her to Crewe tonight so that's cut my free time down a bit.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    13 miles this afternoon in feels like 33. Honestly a daft idea but had a cancelled meeting and out for dinner this eve so thought I’d squeeze it in. Did a hilly route and through Richmond park which has no shade in bits but brought a ton of water and took it easy with a bunch of stops. Randomly bought a full fat coke for the first time in ages at the end and it tasted like the greatest thing ever. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    You are all doing really well getting out in the heat like this. I’m wilting just walking around!

We are at a site in Isle of Wight for 3 nights. Hoping to get to the parkrun tomorrow, but I’ll be walking around. 

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - hope the rail strike doesn't spoil your plans to meet up with Robert today.

Ian - that's annoying about the drive to Crewe, but at least OH will be able to get to London for very important shopping.

Rcouture - full fat coke is the saviour of many ultra runners.   Marathon runners too if they can manage to get hold of it to get them through the last few miles.  If you have a race this year that turns out to be a bit warm I think you'll be very well acclimatised.

Big G - I expect it's tougher for you in this weather as no respite and out in it all the time, unless you can use the aircon.   Hope Tigg is coping OK.

7 miles this morning, bit warmer today but lower humidity so fine for running.    
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Went along to the parkrun and walked around in just under 40mins. I hadn’t realised until a couple of days ago, but they move the course here semi-randomly, to different parts of the island. Today it was in Ryde, and it was an undulating lap of a field followed by an out-and-back along the seafront, and then an uphill finish back up to the park. Quite a lot of shade, which was just as well. We went for a decent coffee and cake in town afterwards, and we’re currently sitting on a headland enjoying the view, with the canopy of the van out for some shade. It’s quote pleasant as there’s a light breeze up here too. The ground is very parched though!

It’s a shame I’m not running as our site is on a cycle path, and it’s 3 miles to Cowes in one direction and about 1.5 miles to Newport in the other, and it appears it’s mainly in shade under the trees. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - you will be back running soon.

Nice view, it's awful seeing the sun burnt grass everywhere though.  
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Big G - I ran that cycle path last year on holiday (assuming it’s the one below) and it is indeed perfect. Shaded, straight, pretty much flat and quiet. 

7 miles this afternoon in another feels like 33. Taking the mickey really but I got up at 5:30 to go out early but one of the girls woke up and couldn’t get her back to bed so this was the only time I had. Took it slow with lots of drinks breaks. Was getting a lot of weird looks and not a single other runner out which is a first but there we are. 
  • Options
    Shades - the burnt grass was my first thought too, seems we may have a bit of rain but I don't think it's going to do much.

Big G - Fond memories of IOW, used to holiday in Sandown as a kid, love to go back one day, especially to do round the island ultra

Rcouture - well done running  in the warm conditions, do enjoy a coke when running ultras, ice cold preferably. 

Ian great running, come race day hopefully be cooler! But if it is warm you’ve done the training for it! 

We finally made it to Jersey Farm parkrun, picked up Cal from Hertford and parked in nearby village car park before a 15 min walk to the start.

course consisted of two laps 2nd lap was shorter, mix of trail and grass and a few undulations, as expected was a warm one.

managed to keep a steady pace throughout even the inclines just upped the effort provides a good feeling when going past people in the second half.  Last 100meters had to up the pace to 6:30 mile pace to avoid being overtaken 😆 it killed me!!!! 

27:54 felt okay other than the last 100 meters, walk back to the village for a drink then drive back.

tomorrow is at albans 10k, elle and Chloe are marshalling, I’ve used my race entry from last week but will do a lap of the course before the race and think I’ll take it easy for both laps.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - I haven't seen anyone out running here either since about 8 a m. today.

It won't be too long before your girls are teenagers, then you won't be to get them out of bed in the morning 😉

Robert - that's a great photo of you and Cal, and more burnt grass.

Good running from you today and good luck for tomorrow with your double 10km.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Shame you're not over there next weekend Big G, im going over for the 1/2 mara on Sunday, although you obviously wouldnt be abe to run it at the mo sadly.
  • Options
    Good luck tomorrow Rob! Yes, it was very toasty. As Rob said, it's a grass/trail course and a little undulating. I also paced sensibly (splits were 9:25/9:27/9:25 plus a little faster for the end bit) and overtook a lot of people who had clearly underestimated the weather. 29:05 is normally not a time I'd be excited with but under the circumstances, it's fine. First in age group, so I'll take it.
    Didn't wear the HRM strap due to the fact I have some particularly nasty chaffing from the 13 miler on Thursday, but unsurprisingly it did hit 190 during the end "sprint" due to the heat. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    TR, I saw signs up for the race and I overheard people talking about the race at parkrun today. 

RCouture, yeah, that looks like the path. Very nice. 

Had a great day today, and including finding a nice beach without too many people on. Had fish and chips as well, which felt like it needed to be done. Tired now though, and most got back to the site, having been out 13hrs. 

For cycling fans, Dan Martin was at the parkrun today. According to the results he finished in about 17:30 for 2nd place, at his first parkrun. I recognised him at the start but wasn’t sure if it was him, but when I checked the results it was. A quick Google and he is apparently over here as he’s something to do with Tour of Britain, which is coming here, I think for the final stage. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - ouch to the chafing, it's sweaty weather.

Big G - I guess Dan Martin is quite easy to spot as fairly distinctive looking.

I used to buy fish and chips via my walk to the ferry after the IOW marathon, they were always very good there.

6 hilly miles today.  My friend who lives at the top of a Dartmooresque hill in a nearby village asked me if I'd run past her house lately as the road was closed due to roadworks.   She said the roadworks had been there for weeks.   I can't resist a closed road so set off today only to find the roadworks have now finished, there's no alternative route without retracing my steps but road was quiet apart from a few prison officers heading for their shift and all of them today were courteous.  Hills are quite tough in this weather, 434ft for 6 miles but I had a good run.

Isle of Man marathon today, good conditions considering our heatwave, should be 18-20 degrees, I wish I was there  :'(
  • Options
    That's cool, Big G. Also envious of the fish and chips.
    Well done on the hills, Shades...annoying about the road though!

I had 20 miles pencilled in for this morning, though I had a pretty lousy night's sleep (too hot, too many aches and pains). Made the most of my restlessness by getting out at 5:15am. I did almost the same run as the 17 miler two weeks ago (head down to Battersea, across Chelsea Bridge, down all three miles of the King's Road to Fulham before doubling back via Chelsea Docks, back over Wandsworth Bridge, up the the other side of the river to Wandsworth then though King George's Park and along the Wandle) although I did a bit more Wandle and came back via Tooting. Unfortunately , I started getting some low gut pain which reached critical mass around 15 miles in...it was then a choice of head home, cutting the run short and hoping I make it, or find a bush. I was on the Wandle at this point so went with the bush option. Just as well I run early when there's not too many peeps around. 😳 
    That aside, run was about as tough as you'd expect in this weather, but I managed the 20 miles. Unfortunately I lack a functioning bladder...my pack does, that is... (Decathlon have no stock of the size I need for my pack) so have been using the soft flasks, and they weren't quite adequate for a 20 miler in this heat. Lost around 4-5lbs on that run so will spend the rest of the day rehydrating. I think I may go and buy some crisps to replace the salt. 😆