Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-When I was at my fastest,I seemed to be racing every month or so.
    Yes it was quite fresh at 5.15 this morning,bit we had a nice run.
  • Options
    That's a great run from Thackery. I guess there's more chance of prize money in a smaller race which isn't mobbed by East Africans, eh?

While I don't usually run the day after a race, I did go out for a horrible 3 mile shuffle yesterday purely because it seemed like less effort than going to the gym (I am a stickler for doing my 10K steps a day so it's always gym plus a walk or gym plus the Helliptical, which takes a good chunk of time). Today was 5 miles which started quite slowly but got better by the end. Both hamstrings are a bit sore after the race - more so the left one, which is the non-grumpy one. Perhaps it was compensating for its ill-behaved twin. Low back was also really tight yesterday. Better stay on top of that core work.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - me too.  All my best results are when I was racing, sometimes as often as every week. 

Cal - I doubt there was any prize money for Thackeray.    The marathon only had 148 runners and was organised purely for runners to attain Olympic qualifying times.   It was Thackeray's debut marathon too.   I expect some of the British girls will be hastily getting a place in Valencia now if they feel they might not have done enough already to get an Olympic place.

Good leg/glutes session in the gym.  🙂
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I saw Philly Bowden and Anya Culling are at altitude in Europe. There for 5 weeks, certainly in the case of Bowden. These 2 were in Copenhagen (running in an England vest) earlier this year in what seemed like a development thing for England athletes. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    PS, I don’t know who is funding the above. I only mentioned the Copenhagen thing in passing. 

Stephen Scullion is training in the same area, with Butchart, and Scullion has heavily hinted that he wants to win Dublin. He DNSd Berlin. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I know it’s a long way off for me yet, but did you get a different SIM for Tokyo? My current contract is very good in Europe as any usage comes out of my credit, and it was also affordable in the USA for using things like maps, or ordering things online etc. But my current package is very unaffordable for Japan so I need a resolution to that. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G  - I think Butchart is doing his debut marathon at NYC.

Not sure if anything has changed at Dublin marathon, but they never used to pay expenses/appearance fees for elites, such as the Kenyans/Ethiopians.   This opens up the race and gives the opportunity for a home grown winner, which is a good thing IMHO. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I could have got the wrong person as Scullion wasn’t totally clear, but I think Bashir Abdi, the Belgian who came third at Chicago, was leading their training group really. Scullion implied he was kind of tagging along, and hanging on a bit, in the sessions but sounds like he’s in a better place mentally and physically than before Berlin. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Isn't Bashir Abdi the guy that used to be Mo Farah's training partner?   Recent that is, not in Mo's shady past.

Just seen that Cardiff Half, Newport Marathon, and all their other races will no longer be using Active for race entries.    So my credit card should be safe this time.   🙂
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Yes.  Scullion said he trained with them in 2020/21 as well. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-i was with o2 and they charged £6 a day, I know people bought a local or esim and it was a bit cheaper.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Another 5am start for 7 miles.
    I have a question probably a simple answer.
    I usually run around 135-140 for my easy runs,but these earlies are about 123,am I still getting a decent aerobic benefit from running so much easier,I'm enjoying it but don't want to waste my runs also.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Ian - what's your max HR?   If it's circa 180bpm then 123 is very good aerobic training at 68% MHR.

Running rest day for me today.

Longer session in the gym today, I'm enjoying the upper body sessions now with all the new equipment.

Then drove to Aldi, arrived a couple of minutes before opening time and I was the only one in the car park, no sign of all the regulars.  I even rechecked the time as I was Billy No Mates 😲

The new Aldi opened in Kingskerswell yesterday and apparently that's where everyone has gone.   I was shopped and home in 23 minutes  :)
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-It was 186 when I did it a couple of years ago,which is about 66%.
    It's been really nice running with her,my achilles isn't too bad in morning now which helps.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - 66% is fine, still aerobic.   That's an added benefit that the achilles is not objecting to early morning runs.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Had a dentist checkup today, and was a bit concerned as a tooth has been feeling a bit sensitive. He took an x-ray and couldn’t see anything, so I walked out a happy man. I don’t like the dentist!  My dentist is in Torquay and Torquay seafront is closed due to bad weather, so it was chaotic getting over as the diversion is via the backroads. Need to go over that way again this evening. 

In a bit of a funk at the moment with my running. Weather isn’t helping. I hadn’t realised but my 2022 time is valid for next year’s Chicago too, and I was very briefly tempted but can’t justify it, with it being so close to New York. My hotel looks to be sold out too, although I suppose if some don’t get in via the ballot, rooms will reappear again later. Also looking around at European ones, but we’ll see. Need to get the juices flowing again first, I think. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Take it you got the email off chicago also?
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Yes, got the email, and it was only when I checked the qualifying period that I realised I could use the same time. I really enjoyed the whole weekend, but I am definitely not going to enter it next year. Are you tempted?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - don't think anyone likes the dentist 😬 

Re Chicago, must be tempting but would make 2024 a very expensive year.   I'm sure you can get another qualifying time in the future. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I see Lily Partridge has announced she's aiming for an Olympic qualifying time at Valencia.  She's in great shape, just done a half in 70 minutes. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I will only go there again if OH wants to do it,it's not got the same temptation as NYC,I enjoyed the city but too far unless she wants it.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Thursday is my hilly town route day.  97% humidity and a warm 15 degrees didn't make it any easier.  The cooling rain stopped just before I started mile 2 with it's tough climb.  But I managed it and knee was fine, despite running into a pothole in the dark.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Reluctantly, but as expected I've cancelled my Frankfurt trip.  No loss on hotel costs as I had full cancellation.   I've let the flights go as it's £51 per flight for changes, so £102 and it won't let me book that far ahead for the marathon at Frankfurt next year.   Race entry can only be deferred if you have a medical certificate, then €20 to pay next year.    A medical certificate would probably cost me more than another race entry, it was my deferred entry from 2020 anyway.

Haven't changed my coach ticket yet, which I can do for £5 as not sure when I want to use it.   I may use it for Connemara, I usually fly from Bristol for that trip but bizarrely the outward flight from Bristol has a very highly inflated price, there must be some event/sport on to cause that.   I still have 6 days to amend my coach ticket, might look for another race, I'll see.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Shades :( 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Bad news on Frankfurt,is that you done for the year now then?
    Decided to hold my run off as bits of rain this morning and I'm off today so can go this afternoon.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - thanks but I'm over the disappointment now.   :)

Ian - I have an entry to the Cornish, but shan't run.   After that the last race I have entered is the Starcross Shuffle, which is a challenge event.  I can just do one out and back for 10k, although I had planned to do 4 out and backs for the marathon, or even 5 for the ultra.   But at least I can turn up and if I only do one out and back it's not a DNF.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Are you going to enter DD, Shades?  I’m still not sure….

I had a rest day yesterday but did a TTT today on Zwift, having missed the last 2 weeks due to either being in Chicago, or being tired after Chicago. Had a good race and a decent workout, so I was happy with my effort today. Just haven’t fancied running this week. with my last run being parkrun. I suspect my next run will be parkrun, but if I’m feeling up for more next week, hopefully I’ll get into a bit of a routine with it again.  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G  - I'm not going to rush and enter DD when entries open.    If/when I start getting some form back over the next few months and think I can do it then I'll enter.   It may fill and I may have to pick up a place from the transfer list.

Why are you not sure whether to enter?

Hope you get your running mojo back soon. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Similar reason to you really Shades as I’m still concerned about this foot, and I’m not in good shape. If I get to Cornish and I get around it and the hills relatively unscathed (that’s the hope) that may help me decide, although I know anything can happen between now and DD. But I’d like to be in much better shape than I am.