Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    MF7 - what sad news.

Mr B - Hope Miss Bump is feeling better now. Glad nothing was broken, but horrid thing to happen. How mean about Mrs B not getting paid!

LMH - Pretty bike! You mean there are other considerations than colour when buying kit?!! Mr B - How much for a bike image

LB - No we're not all home, advice is carry on as normal unless we show symptoms - I'm sneezing a bit, but no temperature and I've got to carry on as Mr DG is away tonight! I'm keeping an eye on Master DG in case its anything else, but he doesn't seem terribly ill, fever and listless, but still able to play on the Wii! He's still hopeful of swimming this weekend. Keep trying to bring him down to earth gently and tell him there will be other times, but he's not seeing it that way!
  • Options

Flossie - I'm not a pink girl either but I'm having trouble finding a suitable bike in lilac or purple image To be honest I'm not in the market for a better bike until I improve the engine a bit more - talking of which, good running. It's lovely when you keep seeing consistent improvements.

DG - maybe he will recover in time, he doesn't have to have a bad case of the flu and if you can keep him eating and drinking he might not be on top form but well enough to take part?

MF7 - sometimes there seems to be no rhyme nor reason to life or death does there?

Bimbled on the bike for an hour and a half, legs were tired but I think they appreciated the change after yesterdays run, nice to have the pressure off a bit.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    LMH - I'm not going to pull his entries until the last minute. He has a temperature of 38.1 and said "I think I could manage in school" this morning (normally he's trying to fake illness to get out of school!). Have also said that he may not perform well, even if he's well enough to go and he still wants to go.

My bike is purple image, but its a mountain bike that cost £100 from Halfords about 15 years ago, so may not be quite what you're after!!! Glad you're feeling better about your training after yesterdays run. Are you in taper time now then? So hoping everything comes together for you after all your hard work. You've overcome so much healthwise - you're a true inspiration for me when I'm thinking I can't be bothered. And you're always so ready to help others out with your kind words and helpful advice. You're a star!!
  • Options

DG - call me if I can do anything. He'd have to be half dead not to want to play on the Wii, though, wouldn't he? I'm glad I won't be around when you have to tell him about the swimming....image

Mr Bump - poor little Miss Bump! That must be really awful. I thought agency workers had been given similar rights to permanent staff (who now certainly have the right in an emergency to drop everything and go) but obviously not. I hate the way people get penalised like that. I had my pay docked once for absence and I had pleuresy! I didn't stay there very long after that. They picked and chose who deserved sick pay and who didn't - there was no rule! image

Taking a day off today as my quads are really sore. I see mummy is coming out in sympathy with the achilles too! image ((Shades))

Just stubbed my flipping yukky toe too and it STILL won't come off, but now it's split! image

• Options
    Awwww DG image May do one last long bike on Sunday - will depend very much on the weather. Have a 10k 'race' tomorrow evening (just a tempo run really after yesterdays exertion), it's only down the road so we'll probably jog there and back too, a 4k OW swim on Saturday and then it's try not to eat too much or go mad whilst tapering.
  • Options

Oh dear LB - not your best day!

Shades - I do hope the niggle resolves soon. When is your next race?

• Options
    Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭

*bounces on to thread*  image

Despite having less than 5 hours sleep I had an excellent run at lunch.  5 miles at <70%WHR......wait for it......8:27/mile!!!!!  image  It was really flowing and I was full of running!  Where on earth is this running coming from?  I'm doing an average of 12 miles per week over 2 runs per week.  Surely the 4-5 hour cycle rides at the weekend can't be having THAT much benefit.

-----------------------

HY4 - Re: your new run route.  Thought about taking a map and compass?  I've done that before when exploring somewhere new.

Shades - Further roadworkds have materialised here!

Flossie - I'm disappointed that the highest cols in the alps are not being used this year.  I think it will all be down to the HC climb of Mont Ventoux, the casse desert.  An iconic climb where GB's Tom Simpson died in the 1967 Tour de France.  He'd been struggling with a stomach complaint since the start of the Tour and not eating properly.  He was also using amphetimines and brandy to keep going.  However, before you condemn him, the taking of la bomba (amphetimines) was commonplace at that time in professional cycling.  As Jacques Anquetil (Tour de France winner 1957, 1961-4) once said that you cannot win the Tour on water alone.  However, the severity of the course, the torrid heat on the day of the race (45C) and dehydration from the drugs, alcohol and lack of water led to him collapsing and dying of a heart attack on the slopes of Mont Ventoux.  In those days, you were only allowed to have 4 bottles of water on each stage.  If you wanted anymore you were expected to raid cafes for anything that could be drunk, or fill your bottles from a water fountain.  Hence why domestiques who support the team leaders were known as water carriers, because one of their jobs was to find and get water for the star riders.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

MF7 - glad you are over your illness.   Sad news about WHW RO, I hope someone takes over the organisation of the race in his memory.

Flossie - no, haven't been favouring other foot as tendon problem was not causing me any trouble when running.

LB - double yuk on the toenail

LMH - Elspeth will be back soon and have you baking nice goodies during your taper.

Next race is Sat week, 6 hour race.  Achilles is tight today and I can feel it going up and down the stairs at work.   Will see how it is in the morning and just do an easy flat route, no hills.

Another manic day at work, am working flat out at the moment trying to get eveything ready for audit on Monday.  Not looking forward to it as the accountant reminds me of Uriah Heep

• Options
    Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭

LB / Bridget - It's 8 weeks school hols here.  It was 6½ last year.

DG - Bless Master DG.  Hope he gets well soon even if hehas to miss the swimming trials.

HTF / DG / Little Miss  - That £4500 bike I posted a link to is basically a replica of what Saxo Bank and Quick-Step riders will ride on time-trial stages of the Tour de France.

Liverbird - According to the NHS website you do get immunity by getting Swine flu.  The laughable thing about all this is that the anti-viral drugs are being used on people who may not have swine flu, yet there are only enough drugs to treat 50% of the population, with orders in for a further 30%.  Meanwhile a local private GP practice is offering a box of 10 Tamiflu tablets for £90.

Little Miss - I think you would notice a big difference if you went back to riding on alloy forkes.  The carbon really does soak up a lot of bumps, so therefore you don't get tired as quick.

Shades - Good running.  You take care of that niggle.

DG / Little Miss / Liverbird - Yes, you heard me correctly.  She didn't get paid for coming away from work to take Little Miss Bump to hospital.  She is agency staff as you know and gets no sick pay, holiday pay, or compassionate leave pay.  She went in work for about 9.30pm and worked a couple of hours just to earn a bit of money.

DG - Yes, you're right.  Little Miss is a star.  And I can sense her blushing at all this praise from 20 miles away.  image

• Options

Shades - hope you can get the achilles sorted in time - and that the audit goes well. Trouble is I will have to watch my weight whilst tapering so baking (my usual distraction when I can't train) is downright dangerous.

Mr B - good running again. My marathon time came down off the back of tri training - as did my half - so I guess those long bikes might have a lot to do with it.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Mr Bump - fab running

LMH - I think at this stage you are too disciplined to eat yourself silly

• Options
    Hmm been feeling tired a fair bit at work today best not be coming down with anything. Several people sniffing and sneezing away at work. Had a meeting this morning and we erm banished the quality manager into the corner of the room as she was coughing and sneezing and even went home ealy yesterday.
  • Options

Food is one thing I'm not so good with to be honest Shades - the willpower and determination that manifests itself in my training is mystriously lacking when it comes to food.

Keith - there's a lot of it about. I'm hoping that if I'm going to get anything it's either in the next day or two or after Prague.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

(((DG Eldest)))

DG,

Hope eldest will be okay.  Chris has said swine flu is at his works & his dept.  One of the people who had it didn't realise what it was until they recovered & someone else has it now, however they are off so hopefully it will die out quickly.

Flossie,

Thanks. It's gratefully received.

LB,

Don't agree on principal!

Bridget,

Well done you!  Chris was telling me once what they do for blood donation rewards and some of them are really good when you get near the higher ones.

Mr Bump,

Glad Little Miss is okay & it's nothing too serious.

That's a much better coloured bike.  I may be after advice for a bike on here as work have finally relocated to new offices and I'll have to walk about 20 min from where I'll be parking.  The path is an unlit off road track which would be lovely to run round and possibly the nature reserve it leads onto but a definate no no for winter.

I don't know how to read a compass image.  I'm going to 'play' with the navigation feature on my garmin at some point because I do have home marked in it.  However this will be from a safe point where I know the way back home anyway so I can learn that way.

Well done on the run

Shades,

Will that have a lasting effect or just temporary?

Hope you'll be okay for your race.

• Options
    HY4 - having to walk 20 minutes to your car down an unlit path in the winter doesn't sound very good - do they not have parking at the new offices?
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

LMH,

Yes if you car share!  I live about 20-30 mn drive away with no one on my team to car share with.  If I go in on the train it would cost about the same as parking & fuel and it would add about 1hr + to the journey just one way dependant on the shift.  I did get offered a car share which I was happy to do, even though it meant a team change however the person who I would be sharing with couldn't take me home 3 out of 5 nights and the parking charges on those nights would have completely negated the car share so I may as well go my own way.

The worst thing is that people who live within walking distance and share a car have a parking space!

• Options
    Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭
    HY4 - That doesn't sound too safe.  I wouldn't fancy it in the dark. 
  • Options

Shades - wishing that niggle a speedy recovery.  image

LMH - am looking forward to getting out on bike while Flossette's on that music course from Sunday to Thursday this coming week.  If it's made Mr Bump and you faster, it will help me too.   image

LB - hope you enjoyed your rest day and that your quads feel better tomorrow morning.  image

Mr Bump - speedy gonzales - yay!!!  Stonking rate of knots.  image  Tragic story about Tom Simpson, but 4 bottles of water per stage is a bit tight, mind you in training I have water holes all over the place that I know of.  However, unless you know your terrain and how much further you've got to go, that can be a highly dangerous situation.  It is obvious that at one time the Tour de France organisers weren't quite so caring even to the point of negligence or was it ignorance - we'll never know.

HY4 - hope you find a solution to your travelling situation.  Am not happy about that off road track in the winter for you even on a bike.  image

Have just finished baking 72 chocolate chip fairy cakes (some of them have disappeared into my tummy - oops!!) for my Year 5 one-to-one's summer holiday birthday party tomorrow at school.  Went shopping for a few knick knacks to amuse him at Hawkins Bazaar this afternoon.  Should be fun tomorrow and so lovely to break up for 6.5 weeks at 1.30 pm - can't wait!  image

• Options

My brother in law arrives today with his daughter for EIGHT DAYS.......image He can be very hard work and mini BiL has been the subject of a lifelong custody struggle, so plays him like a fiddle. If she doesn't like it, then she will tell mummy she didn't have a good time etc....image

I shall be mostly rocking in the corner of my bedroom hiding, and if I'm not on here as much you'll know it's because I'm trying not to throw myself off the roof!

I have decided to give in and go and get my eyes tested today. They kept sending me letters telling me I'm old and my eyes are important and in the light of my poor dad's blindness, I thought I'd take their advice...image If they say I need glasses I will paddy in the shop!image

Little M.iss Happy wrote (see)

Mr B - good running again. My marathon time came down off the back of tri training - as did my half - so I guess those long bikes might have a lot to do with it.

It's got to be an increase in stamina hasn't it? Or does it count as base training to lower your HR? Either way, I think he's flying as well and it's good to see! I think you can probably eat a fair bit now LMH and you'll be fine - you're going to NEED it!

Really interesting about the guy on speed who died Mr B. Keep the stories coming! You've got me into this TdF now and it's good to have peeps who can flesh it out for me!

Quads much better today so I'll do a nice flat run later before my 12 miler tomorrow. Mr LB can deal with the houseguests for once - he get to escape to work next week and mine are still in school, so I'll be alone trying to entertain them whilst attempting to get ready for my holiday! image

HY4 - sounds like a nightmare having that 20 minute walk! Especially in the winter, as you say! There has to be another solution, surely?

Hope PSC and Bobo are having a good time!

• Options

Good luck withthe houseguests LB.

Flossie - happy holidays.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Morning - have swapped my rest day to today just as a precaution but not a single twinge in my achilles when I got out of bed this morning, that's good news as it means it's not an achilles injury.   I'm glad I'm not running this morning as it's blowing a gale here and several wheelie bins have been blown down the road, fortunately they're empty.

Hope the weather improves for tonight as I'm race referee for a 5 mile race.

LMH - yes, I agree, it's hard to curb the appetite when doing less training.

Keith - it will take a while to recover from the tiredness after Hull.

LB - good luck with the eye test, I'm sure you'll be OK and not need glasses yet.  

• Options

Shades - most of the time my achilles don't hurt either. Does that mean they're not injured? I feel stiffness in them when I get up and when I run.

Our wheelie bin day is today too and I'm happy to report they are upright and all carefully positioned by the binmen directly behind our cars so we run them over coming out of the drive.image

• Options

Hi all, not read back but home late last night and just been out for 5.5 miles, just to see if I can still run. It seems I can but how far may be the thing!image

Good holiday but quite tiring last few days as lots of travelling between relatives and helping daughter to move flats in Edinburgh on way home.

House a tip as son has been home alone for almost 3 weeks but has wisely gone away for 3 days or we may have eaten himimage

Hope everyone is fine, will read back when have a bit more time.

• Options
    Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭

Flossie / Liverbird - I think that back in the 1960s it was ignorance that dehydration could kill.  And the drugs that were being used in professional cycling back then added to this dehydration.  Amphetimine use was rife, as were pain killers.  However, coming back to Mont Ventoux, the lessons of 12 years before had not been learned.  In 1955, on another brutally hot day, the teams had requested a delay on the start time so the riders wouldn't have to go over Mont Ventoux at the hottest part of the day.  This reasonable request was refused.  The race organiser saying that if riders found it too hard they could retire.  One of the riders, Russell Mockridge (AUS) was at a near state of collapse on the lower slopes of the Ventoux.  He got off his bike and found water and shelter in a farmhouse.  He also ate a load of sugar.  He then remounted and was a witness  to frightful scenes on the way to the top.  Jean Malléjac (FRA), a fomer Tour de France stage winner, was found lying by the side of the road, unconscious and foaming at the mouth.  A doctor saved his life by the side of the road with an injection and oxygen.  Another favourite, Ferdi Kubler (SUI) was in a state of delerium, weaving all over the road, he found a drink in a café and then got on his bike and didn't know where he was, eventually being redirected by spectators.  At the finish he said "Ferdi has killed himself on the Ventoux".  Six other riders collapsed.

Mont Ventoux was last used in the Tour de France in 2002.  This year it is likely to decide the winner of the Tour de France as it is the penultimate stage of the race on Saturday 25 July. 

Shades - That's good news about the achilles tendon.

• Options

Welcome back Elspeth!
    I have missed you, we all have missed you!!!!
    Thanks for the postcard image
    Dont wear yourself out cleaning the house, you have a marathon to train for.
    You have plenty of time...... 11 weeks this Sunday image
    Not sure if I should of said that image

• Options

VR - Hi and thanks, have missed you all too.

Shh - don't mention the marathonimage, longest run I have done while away was 6 miles, actually ran quite a few times middle week we were away but was very hot and found it hard, done nothing this week as were flitting between relatives and trying to be polite, did go cycling in the woods with Peter's brother while the kids all veged out at home( sorry spent quality time together) and enjoyed it though Peter got a puncture in his sister in laws bike and had to call it a day.Denmark was interesting - though the drive through germany was grim but on the whole a bit too flat for me and very expensive.

Hope LMH is tapering for her IM.

Not sure what everyone else has been doing, how did the 24 hour race in Hull go Shades? I hear WS did well (in the local paper).

No work until Mon but then it will be busy as I think they will try to force me to work extra hours as my colleague will be away so trying not to think about that yet.

VR - I think you have a marathon too very soon?image Better start loading the Jaffa trailor, is Butler going too?

• Options
    Sparkly Bridget and I are doing the Fairlands Valley off road mara this Sunday but I don't think she wants to run with me so I will probably get lost image  Actually Kevin is doing it as well. Butler is going but I wont see him around the course. So yeah I will have to haul all my jaffas around with me image
  • Options

Hey Elspeth! Welcome back love! image

I didn't exactly PASS my eyetest....image But I don't have to wear glasses either (my choice - she gave me the option and I'm vain)image

It would seem that I have ASTIGMATISM, which I was shocked about as nobody's ever said that before! image I also have a cyst on my eyelid which may or may not require surgery. As its been there for yonks and doesn't cause me any problems I'm thinking NOT! image My eyesight for those in the know is +0.25 on the left eye and in the right eye! I know DG would take that as her prescription in a heartbeat! image I had glaucoma pressure testing too and an x-ray, all within the cost of the examination which I was pretty pleased with.

Got to go and get ready for the invasion of the BiL....image

• Options

VR - I haven't said I whether I will or won't run with you.  I have a feeling you are faster than me though?

Next week I shall be taking the rust off my skills and practicing to be a proper nurse again in case swine flu forces redeployment of staff image

• Options
    I think we do the same sort of times Sparkly, anyway for me it will be just to get to the end image
    Weather looks crap.