Options

Over 60s training.

Comments

• Options
    Maggie i thought our 10k's are on the same day although in different places
    Don't worry too much its good to rest well better not to run when we get these niggles better in the long run
    Don't do a ceplak
    I'm sure you'll be fine on the day.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Gemini, the macmillian predicted running times are shown on a web site about running and different times for different distances etc. I did have the website address, but since I had a new hard disc, I have lost it. I have tried to guess at it unsucessfully, so you will have to wait for Spud to report back. Of course it is only a rought guide, becasue we are all different, however, I found it quite interesting at the time of looking myself.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    JJ, Good luck with Dr Death, let us know how you get on.
  • Options
    Update on my run - it was awful

I walked 5 miles yesterday, so maybe not a good idea to try running today. I'm gonna rest for a couple of days and see how I go on Thursday

JJ I need help with me training - again - its not been right since I had the calf problems about a fortnight ago
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    I am sure that JJ will put you right DDP, just hang in there.
  • Options
    Afternoon all.

I have just ridden EBF - he is getting very frisky, I only just stayed aboard.

Sorry you had an awful run DDP. I'm sure JJ will be able to help.

Bullfinch
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Bullfinch, well you did stay on, so you must be good. It is nearly time to hand him over isn't it?
  • Options
    DDP sympathy over awful run.

BF did you ride while you were away or aws this first time back in saddle?

JJ Hope you are ok.
  • Options
    Hi Ceal, Maggie

I didn't ride while on holiday but I did ride EBF last evening and he was really calm and lovely to sit on. Today was totally different.

I ain't giving him back yet though Ceal.

Bullfinch
  • Options
    Afternoon!

Ceal, I am still doing it but the classes have stopped for the holidays. They will be starting again next week.

Gemini, the address is www.mcmillanrunning.com you go to calculator and then you type your time for any set distance. It predicts your time for any others and your pace. Example: you did 20 minutes for 5k. You type the time in the right place and the calculator gives your times for all the races ( 4k, 10, 15, 1/2M, marathon...) It is a very useful tool.

JJ, best of luck for your knee.XXXXXXXXXX

Hi Maggie and Bullfinch
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    JJ You are back from your death sentence, what was the verdict please? Doing time, repreive, sewing mail bags, sentence-------
  • Options
    Hi Spud.

JJ what news on the knee.

Bullfinch
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    JJ, sounds hopeful, execution suspended. I do not find the article that you have referred to re age and running, unless it was in last months. I received new one today, which I presume is September edition.

There is an article on injuries and recovery and certainly it is suggested for anybody that to jog in a deep pool is very beneficial cardiovascularly I had been thinking of adding the blobby cycle to my x-training. Trouble is I LOVE running as I know that you do too. BUT if it keep us running for longer we have to think about it. Did he speak from experience of other clients who had followed such a regime, or was it from what he ascertains to be a good idea. Can you ask him next time please from me!!!!!!
  • Options
    Sounds good news JJ

just take care of yourself

Spud thanxs for website interesting reading will have a proper look later

• Options
    Ceal (and anyone else).
    See RW page47. top right-hand side. No 4.
    JJ
  • Options
    Seen it i try and run 3 or 4 days a week

QUESTION

If you are on holiday is it safe to run an extra day or two
  • Options
    Pam.
    You can run sub-4 hrs.30 marathons easily on 4 runs a week, including a few 1/2ms in close order (fortnightly) and one long run of 18 miles. For marathons the 4 days have to be good quality workouts though. I did my first marathon on that schedule and did 4hrs 11.

Of course you can do extra days. You're resting and relaxing (hopefully) so you can cope with more. Just keep the extra runs nice and easy. A new environment also makes it interesting and therefore easier.
    JJ
  • Options
    Hugs to JJ
    my achilles niggle continues
    Ok
    i did 4 traedy miles, atrenating faster and slower speeds
    ran for 41 minutes
    44.30 for the 4 miles
  • Options
    Pam.
    The one thing you must remember is that all these training 'facts' and articles are huge generalisations to suit Mr/Mrs Average who doesn't actually exist because we are all different. It's sensible to take notice of them but don't worry if you step outside the boundaries. Use them as a guide but adjust schedules to suit you. The test is: do you feel that you are enjoying yourself, making progress and not feeling permanently tired and sore? If you are comfortable then you can only benefit from a bit extra once in a while.

Don't make it a permanent feature though without building up to it slowly and steadily.
    JJ
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Noted Hippo, another good speed session. Sorry you have an achilles niggle, keep an eye on it.
  • Options
    'evening Benz. You look a bit sad.
    Be careful with the achilles tendon. It takes a long time to heal if you damage it badly.
    Have a hug swap.
    JJ

• Options
    Im very sad Johnny
    Woke up like it:(((

had the niggle for months, its the psychological one that hurts if i think about long runs
  • Options
    DDP.
    The mail's on my work machine and at the moment I can't access it properly from home (strange 'cos it's not normally a problem). I'll check it in the morning.
    JJ
  • Options
    Thanks JJ

I think I may be answering my own questions tho, inevitably I 'spose we all really know the answer, just need it confirmed