Hi Ceal.

Nice to have you back.

Bullfinch
  • Options

Morning all, welcome back Ceal, off to Welsh Wales now

Catch ya all later
  • Options
    Morning all :o)

Have had computer problems again this morning! GRRRRRR!

BF sounds like good news, fingers crossed.

Ceal, welcome home, I missed you :o)

DDP have a good trip to Wales.
  • Options
    JJ Still a bit achey! Did a gentle run!
  • Options
    Hi Ceal, lovely to have you back!

Hi Peeps!

I coudn't be bothered to go out for a run this morning. Another rest day.

Good news about your leg BF.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Well better late than never!

We had a great holiday despite the gales and rain over the last week but that only kept us in one whole day when it was really gruesome. However, the climate in Madeira is lovely.

Come home for a physical rest, did something every day bar one. Legs OK but knees objecting. I was relaly impressed with my fitness, ie heart and lungs, when tackling the hills and mountain sides but was unimpressed with aged knees comming down said hills and mountains. The longest walk we did was 26k, we achieved that in just over 5 hours, the book said allow 8 hours! In the middle of that walk was a 3 and half k of 3 in 1 hill, straight up and then straight down. It took me about 2 days to recover from that little episode.

The only other thing I have to say about Madiera, before I bore you all, is about the Levada Walks. Walks along the side of their waterways. One walks along an 18 inch wall, which is fine until there is nothing on one side of you except a 1000+ sheer drop. I do not suffer from vertigo but it was very scarey. I spoke to one lady who I met who had witnessed a fatal accident on one of these walks. I am about to write to the Madeira Tourist Board about it. They have put some wire ropes up when the Levada goes round a corner but MORE needs to be errected. Lots of EU money is being ploughed into Madeiran for roads and tunnels, I, therefore, think that money should be spent on safety too.

I have only run about 30 miles over the 2 week holiday, so I hope that it will not be too difficult to get back into some decent training.

NOBODY has been round the house whilst we have been away.

Stewart starts his new job tomorrow, so he will be away now in the week until we sell the house, so I will be a grass widow, anybody want to cut my grass?
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    JJ, well done on the 6000th posting!

I have read some of the postings and came up with one about you and a finger, but I could not fathom out what you were actually doing with the finger.

I suppose one has to start with an X-ray, but I would not think that it will tell you very much, I would have thought a scan would be more revealing, but I think you have to see a consultant for that. If you do make sure you see a consultant who is used to dealing with sports people, not just oldies, which you are NOT. Ask Hippo what she thinks.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Pammie, how awful to have to race with a cold wind coming off the sea, it makes ones muscles cold and therefore they don't work as efficiently as they should. I think that under the cirumstances you did very well. Well ran.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Hippo, I like the new names to express what you are feeling. I think that you should get rid of the plodding prefix, it does not suit your new image. You are becoming a speedy hippo. I think if you are to enter a 10k you will be surprised how easy it is compared to the longer distances you are used to.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Bullfinch, nice to talk to you again. Pleased to hear that your calf is progressing nicely, good luck when you try it out on a longer distance.

All the best for your Mum's appointment tomorrow. It is sounding beter than hopeful.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Maggie, the golden girl. What a result, what an achievment. You must be absolutley with your performance. How did your friend do? I think she was doing it too. How much money did you raise? A double achievment. Spud and I are running Brighton too. Go for it.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Hi Spud, 15 miles at the w/e, it's a long way isn't it? It makes 26 seems even longer, to me anyway. I see somebody put my name down for a marathon in my absense. No way, not yet anyway. I too want to build up slowly so at least I can be sure of running it in 9 min miles and no less. This year I will not have time for the training, with moving and all that, well a possible move, if we can seel the b---- house.

When is your next half?

I must do some serious training if I am to keep up with you at Brighton.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    DDP it sounds as if you are getting into the swing of running nicely now.

How long does it take to drive to Wales from the south coast, it is quite a long way, n'est pas?
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    JJ, that brings me to the French running Classes, how are they going, am I too late to join in, or have I got to wait for someone to drop out?
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Pussy, hi to you. I hope the germs are under control. When is the 10k? Is it a flat one, silly question in Cornwall, of course it is undulating.
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Hi ceal nice to see you back, we did miss you glad you had a good holiday.
  • Options
    Hi all.

Good news for my Mum. The Consultant says he is almost certain that the problem was the side effect of the pills she was taking.

I feel like sorting out the doctor who said she most likely had cancer = physically I mean.

When I ran the London Half Marathon earlier this year I ran a raffle at my local pub to raise money. One of the prizes that I gave was 'A morning for 2 on the gallops at Lambourn'. Tomorrow, I have to take a very lovely lady and her even prettier daughter to watch the horses. I may think I'm in heaven.

Bullfinch
  • Options
    Oh bullfinch, thats wonderful news
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    BF Very good news indeed, you have all been through such a stressful time, worrying about the Dr's incorrect diagnosis. On reflection I suppose a worse situation could have been that the Dr missed something that was indeed there.

Enjoy your ladies tomorrow, don't get too frisky.
  • Options
    Welcome back Ceal. Sounds like you won't have lost any fitness during your hols. The bug has stopped me training for several days and the 10k is in 10 days time and I still haven't got back to running. So am reluctantly writing it off. Very few local races this winter so am feeling a bit frustrated at having no goals. Craned the boat out of the water at the weekend so was looking forward to getting back to regular training. But I have a new work project -researching and writing a script for a documentary. All hush hush at the moment but I'll let you know when it hits the screens. All I can say is that there will not be a pussy cat in it! Nor a boat.

Your news is superb, BF. I am so relieved.

Hi JJ, DDP, Hipps, Spud, Pammie, Maggie etc etc.

Pussy

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    I have 10 weeks to go before my potentionally next 10k a less crowded field on December 14th, have seen the race advertised while trawling the net but on the schools website (it is organised by a school) there is no date yet.

So 10 weeks to go here i come.
  • Options
    Welcome home Ceal, lovely to hear your news. I ran with 2 friends we stayed together until about 7k when the one I have done most of the training with decided that she felt sick (I did ask whether the coffee at the service station was a good idea!) She finished about 3 minutes behind us so still broke the hour.

I'm off to bed but hopefully will be a bit less busy over the next couple of days.

Night peeps :o)
  • Options
    wedding!!!!!!!!