Options

Over 60s training.

Comments

• Options
    Morning folks. Hi Spud.
    Hour and a quarter on the bike. I'd forgotten what it's like to ride into a stiff northerly wind. The extremities suffer a bit.
    JJ
  • Options
    All of 'em.
    :-))
    JJ
  • Options
    only just over a half marathon distance
    i MUST get these long runs sorted!
    Im blue
  • Options
    Wadd'ya mean 'ONLY'? That's enough for anyone. Benzy, that's actually a long way.

I'm blue and purple and red if you look at the mature thread.
    JJ
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Hello

Back from southend had some food couldn't manage a big meal

Okay it was cold with it being a coastal race, windy brrrr couldn't decide what to wear running tights shorts and t-shirt won in the end.

Big turnout 1600/1700 expected according to announcer i placed myself well back but not too far back so i wouldn't get crushed in stampede.

Took a while to get to start line about 1½ minutes, then i started my watch.

1st km was slow 6:19, though this was due to many bodies so couldn't run fast anyway

2nd km a little quicker 12:31

Wind was blowing in from sea was hoping to break 60 minutes but because of the wind revised plans and was hoping to break 63 minutes (faster than last year)

Missed a few of the km marks they were probably there but either didn't look at my watch when i passed them or i din't see them i guess it was over 30 minutes at the half-way point.

Water station half-way decided to walk and drink (small white plastic cup)then started running again.

2nd half seemed more easier wind had died down and was picking of people (always delightful passing people) each km seemed to be getting faster.

Reached 7km in 42:48 and i thought maybe i might break 60 minutes, but as i reached 9 km was slowing a bit i thought won't do it now so i just concentrated on finishing.

As i reached the last 300 metres i looked at my watch i thought i might do it. So i put in a burst reached the finish line in 60:10. Initially disappointed but pleased with my efforts (just under 9:38 minute miling)

But i hope to improve on that and this week will start base training and see where that takes me.
  • Options
    thats sodding quick pammie
    well done
    i cant run that fast-----yet
  • Options
    Benzy.
    You're heading that way my girl. You're now running non-stop for bl**dy miles. Keep up the speedwork and you're there.
    JJ
  • Options
    Johnny
    So what do you think of this base training then?
  • Options
    I think the principle's very sound. In fact, I posted as much very early on on that thread (on the first day I think). When I start again after injury I will go back to basics for a couple of months starting with 40 mins. easy running every other day until that becomes easy and then add a bit more.
    JJ
  • Options
    As dont have any races between abingdon and the end of january, i was contemplating it

just dont want to have to start walking now ive got over the psychological barrier that i have to have walk breaks
  • Options
    Benz.
    I could do you a 4 days a week schedule that would get you close to 60 mins for 1k by May next year if you follow it. You can do what you like on the other 3 days, gym or rest or swim, and you can run as far as you like or race on a Sunday.
    JJ
  • Options
    Whoops. Try 10k not 1km. I was thinking about me.
    JJ
  • Options
    Sounds good JJ
    you should write a book you know
  • Options
    I wonder though, if i did a 10k now, how id do
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    What now this minute :0)

I'm sure you'll do good, with all this marathon training.
    What are you're plans post abingdon.

I'm hoping for a 10k in december there's a local race that's held each year but on its website there's no date for it yet, hopefully it will be running this year.
  • Options
    well, my next half is at the end of january

so far
    working every other weekend is NOT helping my running calendar at all

so , might give the base stuff a go
    as long as i dont have to walk
  • Options
    Benz.
    Now you've got over the 'walking' problem you would do 65/66 mins. on a reasonable course.
    Do you keep a training record? If so, mail me what you've done in the past 4 weeks and how many days you reckon you can get out on the road each week and how many on the tready.
    JJ
  • Options
    thanks Johnny
    ill do that later

i could do 65 minutes for a 10k now

i did, when running my last 2 halves

but then i was trying to go steadily to last till 13
  • Options
    Right
    offski to work for a bit
  • Options
    In which case Benz you will be close to 60 mins.
    JJ
  • Options
    So you should be aiming NOW for 55 mins. You won't get there just yet but there's no point in aiming for what you can already do.
    JJ
  • Options
    Just seen Pammie's post. Well done. That was a good time on a windy day. I bet you could have done 60 minutes easily if you had seen the other 'k' markers.

Bullfinch
  • Options
    youre right JJ
    You wil shortly have mail
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    evening peeps

thank you guys for your comments
    so hippo 55 minutes is that our next challenge
    I wonder how maggie did today haven't heard anything yet.
  • Options
    mail sent

hope you dont fall asleep reading it!
  • Options
    ang on pammie
    i havent got NEAR 60 yet
  • Options
    Sorry peeps! I have been eating and drinking fit to burst and am now ready for bed!

We were very lucky with ourday, clear blue sky, but the wind made it feel very cold. Had much debate about what to wear but ended up with long sleeve top with cancer research t shirt over the top, about right I think. Managed to get reasonably near the front at the start, first k about 5.45, second was about 5 mins but then we realised what they meant by 'undulating' - bl**dy hilly! Struggled on some of the hills and 6 to 8 k was difficult but the last 2 were flat. The only problem was that thay doubled back at the end which meant we had to run past the finish and then back past the runners that felt hard. JJ there was nothing left at the end, no last minute burst! Finished in 56mins 50secs!!!!!!
    We had our picnic then I managed to be the last onein the queue for a free sports massage - ouch! We then had a walk around before setting off for home in time for the meal cooked by the men in our lives! I have eaten and drunk far too much!

I suspect your conditions were much tougher Pammie but you ran well!

JJ your bike ride sounds great, how is the knee?

Benz How Far????

Hope all are well.

I am toying with the idea of the Reebock 10k in Brighton on 16th November, flat but will we have conditions lijke yours Pammie?
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Hi maggie you did remarkably well

dunno what the weather will be like in brighton in november.
    I couldn't eat much when i got home just didn't have the appetite.
  • Options
    Pammie I have pigged out big time!
  • Options
    Well run Maggie. We have 2 star racers in our midst today, plus a long distance Benz.

JJ It's a good job you and I aren't running at the moment, we would be shown up good style.

Bed time soon.

Night night.

Bullfinch