Options

Kent Coastal Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    fi fifi fi ✭✭✭
    Talked my other half in to this one and he received his number today.

Can't wait to come and cheer you all on...i did this one last year and it is fantastic.It definatly isn't a PB course but the hills really aren't that bad...and they are good for you anyway:-)

I love any opportunity to run near the sea...just make sure you slap on the sunscreen.
  • Options
    Mick J,

There is also a gmapedometer link to shows the route more accurately.

There were licensing issues with using OS Maps as standard. We didn't have the money to present them that way. Given I spent most of the summer last year doing things for the marathon and half, the sketch was the best I could do in the time allowed. The gmap pedometer link shows the route to the best of my ability given the time I had to spend on it this year.

Regards

djb
  • Options
    David Bennett 2

Thanks for the info, this pedometer map shows a lot better detail. Thanks again and PLEASE keep up the good work for all runners benefit.
  • Options
    SilkTorkSilkTork ✭✭✭
    Just got my number - 290 - and course instructions which say mildly undulating at the start and then flat.

So what's all this talk of hills and stuff?
  • Options
    Silk

That'll be the instructions for the marathon... Did I put the wrong ones in? I've been stuffing envelopes at the wrong time of night and have been half asleep when doing it. I forgot to put in back numbers for the Kent Champ marathon runners.

The top should say 'Wilkinson Half Marathon' for your instructions... They are essentially the same, but you can stop at 13.1 miles and not have to do the flat second 13.1. Either that or the editing crew this year didn't spot the deliberate error I put in last year.

• Options
    Hi all, just recieved my race number for my first entry in this race - 22. Looking forward to seeing you all there. This is only my 2nd half marathon. First was the Dartford half and that was a killer, so hope this one is better. Finished the Dartford in 2.26, looking now for a 2.10 ??
  • Options
    Mr Pharmacist - i read your thread a few back and i will be joining you in Amsterdam for the full marathon. If all goes well that will be my second marathon, first will be the New Forest one.
  • Options
    SilkTorkSilkTork ✭✭✭
    Dave. My instructions ARE for the Half Marathon. You stuffed correctly, and very neatly. The wording is in The Routes section and does read "The MARATHON course is mildly undulating..."

I do recall that near the start of this thread people were talking about hills and hill training and a big one at around 5 miles. Was all that an exaggeration? I take it I'm not going to meet anything like the hill climbs of Dartford or Tunbridge Wells or Hastings?
  • Options
    SilkTorkSilkTork ✭✭✭
    Benj - we might have met at Dartford. I finished around 2.25: Steve Pereira, number 286.
  • Options
    Steve - its great to see so many familiar faces around. Keep your eye out for me on this one... looking for 2: 10 finish. Pink shirt with south african flag on back - have a good one.
  • Options
    Silk,

I haven't done either of the races you suggest, but it's not as hilly as the Cader Idris Fell race I did earlier in the year :-)...

There is a course height profile on the Club Website at:

http://www.thanetroadrunners.org.uk/events/Marathon/Entry2005/CourseHeightProfile.xls

You can see it plays around at the 20-45m height...

Regards

djb
  • Options
    are there enough of us to start a list (numbers/names etc) - might be fun to put faces to names as we plod around on the day - what is the general consensus??

• Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Good idea PST, I was running but can't so I'm marshalling somewhere in the Palm Bay area so I can say hi as you pass.
  • Options
    I'll start:

Lead Bike - Dave Bennett 1h10m

:-)

• Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Not waiting for the runners then David???
  • Options
    LOL - in-line scates - any good??
  • Options
    SilkTorkSilkTork ✭✭✭
    No. 290 - SilkTork & jelly babies 2h 15m
  • Options
    Oh good - we're off.... will find my number and keep the list going tonight.
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    No. 30 - Tracey G - 2hrs 20mins
  • Options
    Looks like we may have filled the Half marathon now... I just need to check the postal entries tonight, but we've taken a full-on 230 online entries for the race - I think the most we've ever taken in one go...

I'll let people know tomorrow... Online entries will close tommorrow night, if we have any space left, I'll put up some more places...

There are still marathon places left, so if you want to step up the distance, then you can still enter that!
  • Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Cinders - marshalling Palm bay area

David, do you want my number back at all for re-use as I'm not now running, its number 100.
  • Options

Corridore - marshalling Palm Bay area ... and somewhere else afterwards.

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Cinders/Corridore - Where is Palm Bay area? What mile? Please.
  • Options
    Palm Bay is around 1 - 2 miles and then again at around 11 - 12 miles depending on exactly which bit....
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Thanks Poddler. Did not want to miss Cinders & Corridore.
  • Options
    Tracey G. Number 30: your number is "logged". I will be looking out for you!

I will probably have a big bag of jelly babies with me....
  • Options
    monring all.... jelly babies at Palm Bay - oooh yes please!

# 290 - SilkTork & jelly babies 2h 15m
    # 30 - Tracey G - 2hrs 20mins
    # 122 - Pit Stop Crew (not sure on time - 2 hrs 15 mins??) half mara virgin!!

• Options
    It's getting close now people!!
    Managed 2hr 7 in this race last year abd was my first half and considering the torture Dave Bennett and Mark Foster have put me through on Thursday night hill training lately I've got to try and break or at least get close to 2 hours this year!!! So hear goes the prophecy..

* 77 Beardo1972 1hr 59mins 59 secs
    # 290 - SilkTork & jelly babies 2h 15m
    # 30 - Tracey G - 2hrs 20mins
    # 122 - Pit Stop Crew (not sure on time - 2 hrs 15 mins??) half mara virgin!!
  • Options
    Just a note to say the Half-Marathon and Marathon are now FULL.

We are not taking any more online entries for either. We are not taking any more POSTAL entries, either.

We regret that all entries received now will be returned. We have to ensure that we have sufficient support on the course and at the end for all entrants, should they choose to run.

We have increased the number of half entrants places again this year. We are having to source additional supplies of numbers for entrants who applied upto the closing date, which was yesterday. However, our main focus has to now been on ensuring that all current entrants have the best experience we can provide and this is what we will be doing.

Runners who now cannot run and know someone who wishes to do so may transfer their number to that other person as long as we are informed BEFORE THE DAY.

WE NEED a signed letter from the original entrant AND a signed application form from the new entrant. We suggest you use FIRST CLASS post.

We cannot swap names over on the day - there is too much else to do. Runners who run under someone elses number without informing us may be disqualified.
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    David

Thanet club is just to successful. Well done.