Options

FLM 2007

Comments

• Options
    I'm still struggling and could not even think about running yet - I have suffered very bad blistering (no idea why as I didn't even feel it until after I finished on Sunday). Hoping to get a massage tomorrow as I am still struggling to walk down stairs. But ... worst of all I feel like a large hole now exists in my day catching up on everyone's plans for the "big" day - very odd feeling - just a huge gap of "What now".....

Kayvee, I am also planning on doing the Britsh 10K on 1st July - you're right about the organisation - pretty awful - but there is normally a good atmosphere ... and I'm running for the same chairty I did the marathon for. Nothing else planned but thinking about Windsor half in September. I will look up the city vs city event - While I have my marathon fitness I want to target by 10km PB.

Be interested to hear how you are all feeling now - have the legs receovered and when will you venture out for a run - I'm thinking no sooner than the w/end.
  • Options
    Dibbs: Really sorry to hear about Oliver.

Actually feeling a lot better today, must have been all that catching up on sleep last night and stretching.

Think I'll venture to the gym today and see how I feel, but definitely want to get back into training by the weekend.

Got 3 10K's planned (one being the Prestworld Hall), and 3 half marathons in the autumn.
  • Options
    Ooh - cool - my new piccie is finally up. That's me at 19.5 miles - can't believe I'm smiling...!!
  • Options
    Dibbs: so sorry to hear about little Oliver :0( Don't know what to say really... (((big hugs))) at this sad time for you and his family....
  • Options
    KayVee - that isnt from the London Marathon is it?
  • Options
    Yep - my husband took it as I staggered towards them just after that downhill bit out of Canary Wharf.
  • Options
    Dibs: Sorry to hear about Oliver. My thoughts are with you and the family.
  • Options
    Dibbs so sorry to hear of your loss. I did think of you through marathon too. My thougths are with you all.
  • Options
    BuffDaddy, me legs are slowly getting better. They don't feel too bad today but I stil couldn't manage to run across the road to the shops at lunch. I will prob venture to the gym tomorrow for a swim and sauna and wont run until at least weekend or next week.

• Options
    My legs and body feel back to normal today... amazing, I guess that's when the training pays off??? Although I'm sure my muscles would like a few more days without exercise so I am going to the gym for a sauna and steam bath in the morning. Planning a little plod on Sunday to enjoy running on my own with my ipod :0)

I have entered the ballot for the Loch Ness Marathon, thought it would be a good contrast to FLM!
  • Options
    BF this years Loch Ness? A friend of mine run both a couple years back and he managed to take 20 mins off of his time Loch Ness. I hear it is very scenic.
  • Options
    just been for a 2.5mile run, took it steady, was OK
  • Options
    cazmo-in answer to an earlier post-i am still feeling emotional about it-unfortunately the emotions are fear and loathing!
    boston wet and windy,conference patchy.americans earnest.
    if i hadn't run that stupid marathon i'd be enjoying the antidote ,ie a windy run by the sea,bah,as it is i'm still scarfing the ibuprofen and watching my toes blacken.
    now i have to go and enjoy compulsory 'network'...
  • Options
    Gillymac: I've only heard great things about Loch Ness and yes this year, 7th October. Ballot closes 1st May and you can apply online so get that application in, quick ;0)
  • Options
    BF not sure I could face another one so quickly, good luck getting in. Think I may just try for some PB's for 10k.
  • Options
    LOL at you lot planning marathons!!

Knees are both shot! Well the ITB on the L has a squeak that a rusty hinge would be proud of - and the knee on the right still hurts so much I can't localize it yet. Am creating much hilarity in my surgery as am hobbling up and down to collect patients - glad they are having a good laugh!

Muscles are fine now.

Knew this was likely - and have planned in a few months rest from running - it was either this way or not run on Sunday. Just hoping they settle enough to allow me to ride (horsey is getting fat!) - and to enjoy my holiday in Cornwall next week!

• Options
    I feel great.............

*skips off gaily, plaits flapping in the breeze*

Was going to try and do a run this morning but downed two bottles of champagne last night so didn't! May try again tomorrow morning.

So.... Dublin anybody?
  • Options
    Alex: hope you are feeling better! Hang in there...

Gillymac: may try and do a 10K soon too. Think they have an evening 10K at Silverstone soon.

snails: LOL, your patients may tell you that YOU need to see a doctor!!! Have a great holiday. BTW I bought 'The Stick' at Expo and it really helps my ITB, have you heard of it, do you have one?

Dibbs69: I feel great too although unfortunately didn't have 2 bottles of champers! I've heard Dublin is great and a glass of guinness the night before will get the blood flowing ;0)
  • Options
    Hello all.
    First chance that I have had since sunday to access the forum & see how everyone got on. Taken me ages to read all the threads since sunday! Sorry to hear that some didnt have a good race. It was a tough day to run a marathon, so lets just be proud that we were there & giving it our best shot........

I have to admit that I had a good run & really enjoyed myself.Well, relatively speaking, that is!!. Managed to set a steady pace farly early on & stuck to it pretty much all the way round. In fact, there was only 1 minute difference between the the first 2 10ks ! More luck than judgement! My friend & I managed to stick together all the way round & came in at 4.21. We ran all the way, & I am really proud of that. Hope you don't think that I am blowing my own trumpet etc etc, but I trained so hard for that day, & I feel so relieved that it paid off. It was awful to see other people suffering. The heat was so unkind. But the crowds were fantastic, & I saw my family twice, which was fab!!

Hope that you are all recovering well. Don't beat yourself up if you didnt do the time you wanted. It was a tough day.

• Options
    Stephanie: well done and please do blow your own trumpet! Not many people had a good run or managed to finish in their predicted time so it's nice to hear from those who did. It gives me faith that one day, I'll feel like that after running 26.2 miles. Well done!
  • Options
    well done Stephanie - you are a hero
    Dibbs - Huggs , thoughts prayers etc for Oliver
    Alex P - sound like you're still beating yourself up, hey take it easy , we all have bad days , my last 2 marathons 4:48, 4:51 previous 3 were 4:31,4:27, 4:37
    so will i get the pb of 4:19? or the dream of 3:59:59
    who knows ?
    but after Sunday - i didnt feel too bad. A work pal of mine didnt remember the finish just waking up in the medic tent!
    cheer up folks , next time ....
    off to Buckley runners tonight- for post mortem , with Rob being 9th of 10 !! :-(
  • Options
    Not beating myself up too much for performance on the day,just feeling that I could have hit a pb if the weather was like it is here,seems a shame vs the good training.it was only a run though,and its just irritability caused by too little fresh air and jet lag-i will get my shoes back on in a week or two.off to test the purchasing power of sterling v dollar before heading to the airport and half a nights sleep and full dehydration,again!
  • Options
    After reading a couple of other threads - just added my respects by donating on Dave Rogers' Justgiving page - http://www.justgiving.com/drogers

Still in tears..... so sad.
  • Options
    Yup, had to take a visit over there too. Poor soul.
  • Options
    Hey all!

Legs have thankfully returned to something resembling normal over the last day or two.

My FLM review appeared in the paper on Wednesday - since then I've had a shedload of emails/messages saying well done etc - our MP, council press officers, radio station DJs etc - never realised I was so popular!!!! lol

Link to my story is (and, especially for Allrover, it includes a new pic - this time it's 'fat bloke shows off marathon medal'!!!!):

WHT marathon special

As for when my next run is.. well, I think I'm gonna rest up and get rid of my shin splints problem!

Then again, I might fancy a run at the weekend. Hey - my shin stood up to 26.2 miles, surely it won't mind a couple of miles round the block!

PS - Dibbs, sorry it's a day or two later than others, but please accept my condolences too for the loss of little Oliver.

My FLM Training Blog
  • Options
    Nice one scoop, read them both very good.

You may have beat Haile Gebreselassie but I beat

Two Bakewell tarts :o)
    (they were gaining pretty fast at the finish though!).
  • Options
    Dibbs to sorry to hear your terribly sad news
  • Options
    Like the haircut scoop - a little less "wild man of borneo"...

;o)
  • Options
    First run today guys, only did a 6m but actually a minute off my normal time, think I was destressing after this week's news.

All way round trying to decide about Dublin and GNR.

Looking into a Garmin - any recommendations and do any of them come with free motorised wheelchair?
  • Options
    Wow Dibbs 6 miles already.

I was out last night for first time in ages. I spent most of the night dancing but the legs are paying for it now.

BF Silverstone 10k sounds good.