Options

FLM 2007

Comments

• Options
    Hi ALL

Did a steady 3 mile yesterday and felt good. Went out again this morning and did another 3 the weired thing is I actually feel stronger!

Next run BUPA Manchester 10km in May looking forward to that one then The Potters Half on the 10th June.

Well Done Dibbs on your 6 mile.

• Options
    OMG - the ppor lad that died, his mother has sponsored me on my justgiving site, how touching that she has taken the time out.
  • Options
    ok,that's enough inspiration,off to the airport
  • Options
    I saw that, Dibbs - brought tears to my eyes!
  • Options
    er,that was actualy meant to be-i'm back from land of the free And home of the brave.lots of posters etc still up for the boston marathon-got adrenalised even thinking about it...
  • Options
    Gonna do it with me next year then Alex?
  • Options
    So. Somebody has offered me one of these:

Polar S625X (HRM + SDM)

Is this a GPS thingy - it measures Speed and distance?
  • Options
    dibbs - i bought a garmin forerunner 201 last summer - it gave me a new lease of life in my running, cost 100£ including postage from ? GPSonline or something similar in leeds try googling gps/garmin
    -i think the next level up at ~100£more includes a heart rate monitor~ but i coulnt justify the extra

just been reading about Dave Rogers very very moving especially all the runners posts on justgiving

back exercising here
    Ran with the club last night just under 5 miles on & off road - just right distance, & and some speed -in last few 100m garmin said under 8min miles - pace thats what i need; then gym this morning for the marathon review with pals there
    Great north next - but could do with a flat marathon to do better ?
  • Options
    there is an ad in runners world for a garmin 201 for £75, dont have it to hand but if you dont have RW and want to know then let me know and I will check it out.

have doen 2.5 and 3.5 miles slowely on wed and thur. Planning about 3 or 4 today then about 6ish on sun if today goes ok,

am thinking of doing edinburgh on 27th may as I feel I would like to have another stab at getting a respectable time on the back of my training for FLM. Havnt entered yet but looking at flights and hotels and have had the OK from hubby!!
  • Options
    I haven't been back out running yet, I have been out the past two nights making up for all sober nights when training. I did do a fair bit of dancing on Thursday so maybe that counts. Having a sports massage tomorrow and then wil get back to it on Monday.
  • Options
    Afternoon all, just back from a 6 mile run. Why couldn't we have had this weather last Sunday? Here, it's overcast with a cool breeze and I ran 9 minutes miles!!! My legs feel so strong though and guess the training has paid off. I hope you are all feeling okay.

I had a lovely run in the country, just me and my ipod and I felt really emotional, tears welling up and I guess it's all built up from last Sunday, the young man that died after the marathon and hearing about little Oliver :0( Just all got to me and makes me so grateful for what I have and am able to do.

Happy running folks...
  • Options
    ran 4.5miles with the club thurs , gym friday, swim this morning then at church all folks asking how it went, looking for the next marathon ... hmmm
  • Options
    I have a friend doing a marathon today, am sooo jelous of the weather, it is just so unfair but then I suppose we were the lucky ones who got into FLM, those doing stratford prob felt jelous of us last week.
    was wondering if, knowing the weather in advance I would have chosen hot london or cool stratford. Think I may have still gone for london.
    am considering edinburgh in 4 weeks time, have done 3 short runs (2.5-3.5miles) this week, planning on an hour and if that is OK will enter. Still feel dissapointed about my london time and want to try to rectify it while I still have the fitness.
    People (non runnners) keep saying how it is such an achievement and time doesnt matter but to me it does to a certain extent.
  • Options
    Hi Hellen - weather where I am today (south-east) was hotter than last week! Was reading your posts and disappointed at your lack of 'wow I did good'! Yeah - so it was slower than you wanted it to be .. so was mine - and most on here. Be careful of running a marathon again so soon aiming for a better time. There must be a reason that the elites don't do loads every year!!!! I would worry that you will be disappointed -and injured - why not a shorter race - that should be a good time! - and then build up again to a longer one.

Still can't get down the stairs one at a time! - the knee is shot - can't see running again for months. My aims of 4.15 weren't to be. But hey - I can ride my horse without any pain (thank goodness!) - and even if I am not the runner I thought I was..... I DID IT!

Smile Hellen - be proud - don't let that little voice tell you that this wasn't a fantastic achievement. If you read articles by the great trainers - they say - use the first one as an experience - enjoy it - then set a time goal for the next one.

Sorry to go on - but - to be frank - you beating yourself up about how crap you are and how your time wasn't an achievement - has an impact on others - and takes the shine out of what they thought was special.
    YOU DID DO GOOD!!! Pat yourself on the back - and enjoy the memories (good and bad) of a great experience - that those that my sponsor money is going to - will only ever be able to see on TV (if they're lucky)
  • Options
    Hellen - I kinda feel the same as you. So disappointed with my time as my training/half mara times suggested a sub 4:15 was possible, but I stuck with sub 4:30 target as I thought it was important not to go out too hard on my first mara experience. Sure, I have "done" a mara but I haven't "run" one as the knee injury put paid to that. Loved the FLM experience and thought it was incredibly special but, like you, still feel I can do better...

Everyone has their own goals - if you are not injured and feel you want to, I'd go for Edinburgh. There are plenty of folk that do more mara's than is the "norm", but everyone is different... I'd agree with AH though - don't put too much pressure on yourself re time - go with the aim of enjoying it and you might surprise yourself. You've got a pretty solid training base!! :o)

I've spoken with my physio about when I should attempt my next one but she has said not this year - bummer!

I'll have my fingers crossed for cool weather in Edinburgh for you!!
  • Options
    Sorry, going mad, was Snails not AH!!! Brain obviously still not recovered... ;o)
  • Options
    Had a sports massage yesterday. OMG did it hurt, I have a few bruises to show for it too.

I'll be out for my first run tonight, can't wait to get back out there.

Hellen is it still possible to get a place for Edinburgh this close. I do fancy Edinburgh myself but will prob wait till next year.
  • Options
    Hi All, just back from an 8 miler. Felt fine, normal time - status quo!!
  • Options
    i'm not even thinking about thinking about running until next week...read the new rw through last night in about 5 mins but couldn't really engage.plenty of sympathy for tough conditions coming with the charity cheques though...especially from anyone who has ever run...
    not sure i'll be buying the official photos-hard to distinguish from 2003/4/5!!also i raised my arms too early,and got snapped a split second later turning my watch off!the medal is safely stashed however-as mrs p so kindly put it,one day the children will be fighting over those!so now they can have one flm one each and i can go and try for a decent cold run sometime/somewhere else...
  • Options
    Hi everyone. I've been offline since the great day.

Well done to everyone, whatever your time.

I managed a PW of 19 minutes and finished in 4:49:28 but had a fantastic time.

As someone in our hotel said it's not so much a race as a 26.2 mile street party. I walked a lot more than I was hoping but as the going got tough, the spectators got cheering.

It was very memorable and i'll be trying in the ballot again next year. Here's hoping I don't have to wait another 5 years before getting on.

Thanks for the idea of the sports bottle top. It was working fine until about 9 miles when i dropped a bottle trying to applaud one of the support bands.
  • Options
    snails, point taken and sorry if I have offended anyone. Originally when I started trianing I was thinking sub 4 as that is what my 10km and HM times predicted. I realised that was not poss but had been hoping for 4.15. Will say no more on the matter though.
    have decided to enter edinburgh but will be having serious talks with myself regarding time expectations!!
    If you are a member of a club then you can enter edinb up to 5th may.
  • Options
    hellen-you did great.and you'll do even better next time...:-)
  • Options
    Re. official photos - I was stunned at how much they are charging for the mounted photo/medal.

I had these done on my previous marathons, albeit over 10 yrs ago and am sure they cost about £30 - I would love to have it done, but can't justify a Ton for it.

Alex, "i'm not even thinking about thinking about running", I did giggle at that!
  • Options
    Hi

Did 2 3 milers Thursday/Friday. Worked Sat/Sun then done a fast Mile on Treadmill with 3.5% inc felt good. Out with club again tomorrow.

Hellen - I to was so disappointed with my time 6hrs 9mins I so wanted a 4h 30 - 4h 45 and was well on target till 18-20mile when I felt so i'll and ended up jogging and walking to the finish! Going to apply on the Ballot again for next year.

Dibbs - I too would have liked the frame but carnt justify a on for it!
  • Options
    Guys - any of you wear a Size 11 Asics 2110?

My brother has a pair which he has run max 25miles in and he has been assessed now and into a Mizuno.... not sure how much he wants for them?
  • Options
    Did my first run tonight, did about 3 miles. Knees felt a bit stiff to start with but loosened up a bit as I got into my stride.

Know what you mean about the price of photos was thinking of getting the CD so that at least could print loads of copies and send them to my family. Still quite expensive for what you get tho.
  • Options
    I ordered the CD - only because it was my first FLM though. Never again - the price is extortionate!!

One more week of not running to go.... Wonder how much weight I'll put on... ;o)
  • Options
    I ordered 1 photo, anyone got theres yet?

Cant remember if I said but have just entered edinburgh marathon on 27th may so as to make use of my training. Not entirely sure what I will do between now and then though!! Did a brisk 7 on sunday, body pump yesterday, club run tonight.
    although I am not sure what miles I will do I am going to make the most of the sun in order to acclimatise in case edinburgh is hot.

was chatting to a friend who I havnt seen since FLM. We were both aiming for around the same time (4.15) and have similar HM and 10km times. She did 4.05, when I saw the results I was obviosly pleased for her but couldnt understand it. Anyway, she trains in about 10 layers of clothes and her hubby thinks that is why she was not bothered by the heat. I have seen her out running wearing tights and a jacket in weather where I would wear shorts and T!! So looks like that is the secret for next year - wear too many clothes in triaining!!! Think I might wear tights rather than shorts over the next few weeks when I train to prepare as best I can for potential heat in edin!!!
  • Options
    hellen: some people are just able to cope with the heat more than others (unfortunately)... I just burn up and struggle :0(
  • Options
    Hellen, its usually a few degrees cooler up there. Although my family in Glasgow keep telling me that its lovely weather up there just now, when I look on web its always a few degrees cooler than here. I think it is usually a little bit cooler on the East Coast too, or that is what the guy at excel told me. He might have been trying to sell it to me tho. Why not try running at a similar time to the mara. The week before FLM I went out between 10-12, the sun was beating down on me on the way back but it may have helped me cope with the heat on the day.