Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Los of you folks are taking part in the park runs nowadays

Wardi - I'm pleased that y'day went as well as these things can 

Selbs - 13 is great, I havnt run further than that yet, and you have the Abo miles that I dont. Dont worry about the pace or HR at the mo. Increased frequency and consistency is what you're after.

CW - top win, I wouldnt fancvy running 13M after that, I'd have done it first.

Drifter - sounds grim to me, but well done.

Nice to see MTR back at it, and LS21 is obviously able to run pretty fast nowadys, if he's doing tempo stuff.

RWH - it was a good workout, the pace doesnt matter at the mo. Keep plugging away and it'll all come toether, consistent consistency is your biggest aim.

• Options
    Thanks TR. Almost word-for-word precisely what my coach says too: he's telling me at the moment not to worry about the pace but focus on consistency and structure; the pace will follow. Fantastic workout from you again by the way.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

ha ha, I'm not such a numpty afer all ! If you start smacking the carp out of yourself too early then you'll burn too many physical and mental matches and risk ruining the consistency.......I have a big new motto going at the mo (after hearing if from a few top IM and IM coaches) and thats to "always have one eye on the next session" and to always save something for tomorrow. I'm trying to complete some of my current  training having expended as little effort as possible !

I need to pick the long ride and run distances up a bit after a self imposed 90 min limit for the last month or so (cos its been too icy to ride outside), but I've just upped the running frequncy too due to adding in the commutes, so I need to be careful over the next few weeks, whilst I do all of that. I aim to bag a couple of decent length rides outside a month from now on (snow and ice allowing) and then I have 5 weeks after VLM til the 1/2 IM, but we have two 4 day weekends just after VLM and they are pencilled in for bike time.

• Options

Dean Nicholas: that's a big week you've done. I'd have a couple of days off if I were you -- best to consolidate your gains rather than veering into overtraining. I felt I'd overdone it myself today (3rd consecutive day running, doubles on Thurs and Fri) and certainly intend to stay in bed tomorrow morning.

craig_d60, Tmap, CL: fine XC efforts -- if I hadn't have messed the dates up I should have been doing the Cambs one myself this weekend.

BR, MtR: quality (return to, in MtR's case) training there.

Drifter: that's a most intriguing race formula (and well done on coping with the endurance and conditions). Maybe you need some more grippy shoes though? I was flying on mud today which a friend later said he was skating on. I was very happy with the XTalon190's today, which I'll try and keep for 'best' while I wear out the previous 212s. Edit: and happy birthday! What a great event to 'celebrate' with.

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

My thoughts are with you Wardi.

Nice parkrunning going on by some, including RWH's deflowering image

A lot of time on feet there Drifter. Well done. And Happy Birthday.

TR - nowhere near a numpty at all. You generally do come out with some good commonsense statements. The checking the ego at the door is a prime example - that was the same phrase I used to myself before starting back post-op, and is one of the main reasons I'm running by HR and sucking up the pace as whatever comes out.

I had a bad asthma attack this am (worst in quite a while) when I didn't have my inhaler to hand, so my HR/pace relationship was a bit off this afternoon, and resulted in 6 @ 8:18m/m (70%WHR). It appears on the basis of that sleep deprivation affects me more than asthma though.

On target for 50+ this week. Mileage begins to go up next week, but no more sustained efforts (ie Thursday's mara HR run) for quite a while.

• Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    TR - BR's Tempo was on the mill at the gym. I 'joined' him by going over to talk at him a bit!! Full of encouragement I was.....No quick stuff here thanks. I'd just done 5 and a bit at 8'20 pace on the mill myself. Quite enjoyed it, apart from some freaky bloke wearing a Hull City FC top waving at me after a mile.

Some good running (and winning!) today. Well done all image

RWH/zaTTu - I'd really not considered Berlin actually. Tempting though. There's potentially a bit of a Club trip on the cards to Amsterdam (for the Marathon that is!) I think that may be my #1 choice at the mo. Wherever I go I'll be going on my lonesome, so Amsterdam appeals cos there'll be folk there who I know. I might be able to share a room at Amsterdam to keep the costs down a bit too. Will see how it goes though.

Got a 10 planned tomorrow, part of BRilly's run and joining a few others. Hopefully the knee comes through that ok. Biggest test thus far I think, so fingers crossed.
  • Options

Managed my 14 mile long run with about 6 miles worth of fartleks at the end....had a lie in this morning, so the body is feeling much better. Felt good as I did not run yesterday and "fueled" by last nights wine and lamb after going out with the inlaws. Heart rate ave was 146 and ave speed of 7:20mpm so quite happy. The first 7 miles saw me able to maintain 7:35's and heart below 136 which was the goal.

LS21 I also suffer from Asthma and during the last 3 weeks I have had shortness of breath during my runs, very unusual, luckily that is over and I am feeling strong again even when running at night in the cold. I just hope that I do not catch what 80% of the people in my office currently have. A guy sitting 3 feet from me has been off for more than a week image

Richmond park was is very muddy but it was sunny so it more than made up for it. Looking forward to a +- 60 mile ride to Windsor tomorrow morning. Hopefully it is not too cold!

• Options
    Tmap wrote (see)

Great battle today with CL in the Surrey Champs.  I could see him ahead for the first 2 laps and then caught up and overtook him on the 3rd (and heckled him a bit!), but he fought back well and finished very strongly not far ahead of me.

Not seen the results but felt like a good race - very strong on the final lap in particular making up quite a few places, which is always a good feeling.

Thanks Tmap: very timely kick up the arse there, as I had my head down. Tough conditions, but great fun in the sloppy mud.

Results: http://www.surreyathletics.org.uk/crosscountry/champs/2010/xc_sm.php (Wicks family double!)

TR -  "always have one eye on the next session" - I guess that works, although you do have to commit to the current effort. Maybe half an eye?

NvdW - We have a strong 'asthma' group on here. Hopefully past the worst of the freezing dry air now!

• Options
    JAPJAP ✭✭✭

CL, Tmap, nice running. I can imagine what the conditions were like on that course!

Lots of nice long runs being reported. Obviously the new year has focused the thoughts on weeks till spring marathons image

Good to see a more sensible approach being employed  by those coming back from the bench / illness / far too enjoyable christmas.

I'm off for a 20 in a bit. Looks lovely out.

• Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Well I'm just in from a very enjoyable 10.4 miles. Knee feels fine too (touch wood). REALLY enjoyed it today - was great to get back out there, running my 10 with BRilly and a few other friends who ran a loop with me as part of their longer run. Avg was 8'15, but the last 3 miles all started with a 7 so pleased with that image I'll overlook the mile that had a 9 at the beginning! That gives me just under 30 for the week image

wardi - I meant to say I'm glad Friday went ok for you. Not too good re your Dad though - hope things pick up for you soon, and hope to see you at BM (although not sure I'm running yet, and even if I do I'll just pootle round).
  • Options
    Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

LS21: Sounds like you enjoyed your run as much as me; it really  made a change to be running in perfect conditions. Lovely with the sun out and not too cold or windy or rainy.

Jap: sounds like I've finished this weeks P&D just in front of you; great day for it. image

ZaTTu: look like it won't be long before you're back up to pace...nice.

I set off with a cold frosty start at 07:45 but the thaw was underway and by the time I'd ran into Poole and was heading towards Sandbanks the sun was rising nicely and everything was good. Required a bit more effort when I turned back to the east after 14 miles and realised there actually was a breeze; enough to up the effort to maintain the pace anyway. Was pleased to be able to go though the gears without too much effort for my first 20 of the campaign. Plenty of New Years resolution runners out there running too fast this morning; it'll be all over for a good few of them before the end of January  image

6mi @av.7.21; 6mi @av.7.13; 8mi @av.6.57. Av overall pace 7.12. Av HR156 (80%)

• Options

Good running all,

An easy 16 for me today (or 15.97) if you want to be precise. I only intended to do 15 but the extra bit i tagged onto te end of my run was further than I expected but 1 mile shouldn't do any harm.

We had a dusting of snow overnight in the north east but not enough to cause any problems, 7:32 m/m average pace.

My usual running partner wasn't out today so instead I just stuck my Ipod in and listened to the latest Marathon Talk podcast.

Legs seem to have recovered well from XC.

• Options

TR - great route, many thanks. Nice hill to finish! I really enjoyed running along by the sea.

20M done in 2:05 

• Options
    coro -- the swift 10-milers are such a trademark, you did two there by accident... (impressive)
  • Options

Wardi,
    Good to hear that everything went as well as it could have done on Friday.

Some nice racing at the Park run(s) and XC from CW, RW-H, craig_d60, drifter, tmap, CL et al. Well done all.

Got a 12 miler done this morning to round out a 44M week. Today's outing was the longest run I've done since stepping off the Berlin course at the 17km mark on 26/09/10. Still feel very unfit (and fat) but it was a beautiful morning and there was an inkling that there might be some life left in the old dog yet.

• Options
    Nice parkrun-ing yesterday by RW-H and CW. That's a pretty nippy run on mud Charlie, even with ideal footwear!

Some great long runs being put in by many - Coro's twenty is indeed very impressive!!

Did my 2nd long run from the P&D 55-70 schedule yesterday (I've just completed wk 2 , having started the 18 week schedule with only 16 weeks to do it in so will have to lose a couple of weeks from it somewhere along the way). The schedule has the long runs on Sundays but I'm going to try and do them on Saturdays going forward as I like to have them ticked off earlier in the weekend. So, 8M followed by 8M@MP said the book. I ended up doing 7M @ 7:30 / 8M @ 6:24 / 2.25M @ 7:41 for 17.25M. Very pleased with that, held back in the first section to ensure I was fresh for the hard section and it worked out well. Can't honestly imagine MP being 6:25s in April just yet but, whilst it was hard, could certainly have done a few more miles at that pace on top of the 8 so very encouraging.

Exhausted today though. Did an easy 9M with club this morning that, honestly, I probably could have done with out. Legs felt very heavy, but brings up 55M for this week making the last 3 weeks 51, 55, 55.

Much needed rest day tomorrow, followed possibly by just 5M easy on Tues if I'm not feeling recovered properly.

Lovely sunny day it was out there today though, hope plenty of you are getting out there for some vitamin D...
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

CL - half an eye then

LS21 - nice 10, I'm not surprised I got the wrong end of BRs post, cos it was a bit vague about your participation

Nice miles there Mr Boat

marmite - great to see you back at it

Coro - thats a relief, I was hoping you were able to find your way ok. I thought about sending you inland, but you need to visit the sea when you're near the coast. I was out on that hill too, I went up it 4 times, all at slightly steeper angles too. But i fell over on the ice twice.

I was out on the lanes round the other side of the hill to Coro, and squeeked my recent long run distance of 13 up a bit more to an approx hilly 15 today (only a couple of minutes than Coro did 20 in too !), legs felt ok but I'm trying to build frequency and distance, so the pace is still deliberately slow. 55M for me in the last 7 days - which rarely happens (plus 3 bikes and 4 swims).

• Options
    Long run done. 28.2M in 3:09:40. Last 6M in 35 mins. Off to do some grocery shopping now image
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Well done to the parkrunners yesterday!

Drifter - well done on your race, sounded an interesting one.

Some excellent long runs today from the fast Coro's to the overdistance marders.  marders, how many overdistance run will you do between now and London?

22 m for us today, very nice company, which helps the time to fly!  Also did 15 yesterday, so that gives a nice weekends training.  Feels good to be getting back to proper training.

I said the other day that VLM had not send me my slip for the race, now they've sent me 2 numbers, so will have to decide which I think will be the lucky one.

• Options

I ran for a similar amount of time to Marders today.  About 6m less thoughimage.  Great company though.

Mr Boat - I'm interested in your LSR being at 80% ave.  That's the effort at which I start my `tempo lite' sessions which come out at MP + 30 secs / mile (which would make a decent pb for you on those figures).  Is it a deliberate policy to run them so hard?  I suppose my weekend is breaking the aerobic effort and endurance into two different runs (15 with 10 @ 80% and 20+ slow) whilst you combine them into the one run.

Coro - respect as ever.

Feel things are starting to come together here.  Running weeks are taking shape around 2 appropriate sessions, a long run and some filler miles.  Nice to be out there.

On the overdistance theme, in a fit of optimism a few months ago we entered the Gloucester Marathon, thinking a 2:59 / 3:14 training run respectively would be a good idea.  However I do not think either of us are at the stage where those times would be anything like comfortable.  I note Marders would have gone through 26.2 in around 2:57, about 40 mins slower than his pb.  That would equate to (at best) 3:25 / 3:45 returns.  There's going overdistance, and there's going overdistance too quickly, which could compromise what is building up to be some decent solid weeks.  Any views appreciated.

• Options

BR - I found a 2hr50 training run on a flat Marakesh course when I was in no better than 2:35 shape really helped me in 2009.  I could have run later that day if it wasn't for the KFC feast after the run. 

I had some decent long runs in Nov/Dec but had slacked off around Christmas.  I'd initally intended to run sub 3, but ~6:30 pace felt easy enough in race conditions.  I got a bit tired around 24M, but Marders made me speed up which helped, ending in a 400m flat out sprint to the line.

Coro - nice 20.  There was a person I didn't know in the THH group this morning who was talking about you. 

The pace was a bit much for me in a sleep deprived state (baby is good on the whole, but still learning the difference between night and day) so I headed home a little early.  I had also run a brisk (by my standards) 10M yesterday.  42 miles for the week, but I had good reason to take some time off!

I'd like to pick up training again in Feb, then ramp things up in March - 2 weeks in the canaries should make it easier to get out of the door!

• Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

nice long runs folks.  esp Coro - fast, and marders very long and fast finishing.

Good news LS21.  i'm thinking about Amsterdam marathon in October as well, want to do Berlin, but will prob be in NZ.  not ideal build up for Amsterdam (3 weeks visiting family friends and watchng rugby world cup down under) right int the middle of the key training weeks pre taper, but still i'd have time during the days to train i guess!

This race ("in the footsteps of Arthur Lydiard") looks fun in NZ while i am there as well - maybe just the half though if i enter Amsterdam.

http://www.thelegend.co.nz/

• Options
    RSalter - sounds like we have pretty identical targets for London this year then! Like you, I'm automatically looking forward to this next marathon more now that my first sub-3 has been ticked off. I'd be pleased with just a solid run this year; another sub-3 would be good, 2:55 fantastic, 2:49:xx yep, crack open the champagne! But as you say, lots of training to get through before all that...image
  • Options
    I did my long run (or it seemed long until I looked here) 14.4 @6:58. Didn't mean to go that quickly, just sort of happened.
    I had a weird experience at the shoe store yesterday... I normally buy shoes online but read here about the odd fitting of the Adidas so thought I should actually try them on. She had me run around outside and declared that contrary to opinion from every other shoe store employee I don't overpronate. Instead I overstride (which I know about) and to help correct my gait I should consider the Vibram 5 fingers! I think the look on my face conveyed the WTF that was going through my head. I ended up buying the Tempos anyway because they felt similar to the DS trainers that have done me right so far (except lighter).
  • Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

BR - i "think" abotu maybe trying an overdistance run - but my take as been it's for the really high mileage types.  its hard enough for me getting up to 20-22 miles i reckon!  But you and Hilly are quite high mileagers so you could probably handle it - but it would be key i guess not to get sucked into running it too fast and compromsing the next week or two's training i guess.  London may end up being for me like Gloucester for you, as I am entered in Stokholm six weeks later, so i could always try and focus on that marathon (although it's a slower course) instead of London, and use London as an "over" training run.  Will be intersting to see if you do use Gloucester for that exercise, and how you then go in London.  Glad to hear training has picked up for you and Hilly.

BEJ - snap - 42 miles!  i thought it was a decent amount myself without having a new bubba in the house!!! top effort.

was going to get out for a recovery 4-5 miles this avo, but then saw MU v Liv on telly... so am stuck watching that.  unbelievable dive for the panalty.  will sneak off i think at half time for 25-30 minutes then get back and watch the end.

• Options

Sitges Half Marathon
    You arrive an hour before the start and enter the organised chaos of collecting your number alng with 1500 others who also could not be bothered to collect the day before. You then collect your goody bag which is actually a good quality rucksack... (not a running bag but a proper quality rucksack) and they throw in a Black technical T-shirt for good measure as well as 3 choccy bars!! 7 toilets are available for 3000 runners, but the Spanish never seem to worry and it's enough somehow.
    The start is just like an English race with people in the wrong place, but the chap with the baby jogger at the front appears a little optimistic  but they set you off bang on time.
    This being the second of consequative 60 mile weeks for me, the legs feel a bit tired, but soon get going when the race really starts after about 1km. The first 5km is flat and I go through in 18:20ish and 10km follows in 37:02 after a couple of minor undulations and I am breathing hard, but doing ok. Then comes 2km uphill followed by 2km downhill and some more minor undulations to take me to 16km in about 59:40 which is very good for me. The last 5km are flat and I finish in 1:18:43, a 20 second PB for 51st place and am very happy (but a little disappointed not to crack the sub 6mm) Gatorade and water after the race and free massages if you want one and a slow jog to go and find TJQ who got injured at this race last year. I find her around 19km and she PB's in 1:48:09, so a happy couple venture back to Barcelona.
    For the record, the winner did 1:07.xx... roll on BCN half in 3 weeks!! 

• Options
    JAPJAP ✭✭✭

Marders, great distance (& time) there

Coro, very impressive, as ever

TR, sounds an excellent work out given the hills you were going up

Marmite, excellent to see you getting back into some miles

MrB, was about 3 hours, but P&D week 4 ticked off as well image

Brilly, very nice weekends training there. As far as Gloucester goes, given that you have the discipline to run to effort rather than pace, I would say do it, just don't let yourself work too hard and ignore the time. Am sure 26.2 with a number on will feel easier than 22  off on a normal training run, even at the same effort.

Sorry for missing a few other good long runs there, but want to watch the 2nd half of the footie image

A little over 20 for me @ 6.57 avg. Happy with that, was starting to work harder towards the end (but had picked up the pace a little as well) yet it still felt reasonably comfortable.

• Options

Some quality long runs being put out there. 1h45 yesterday and just shy of 2h10 today. Probably need to stop eating as much as I do. Last few today showed a jump of 10bpm and I was slowing down. Put that down to running out of energy (which is the point) at this stage and just getting comfortable.

BR- My gayfest with CRAB last year saw me run 2.53. That was only 7 mins slower than my pb compared to his 13 or so. I was stretching a bit over the last 3 miles ala BEJ but it just ended up for me that quick. COme April I was in top nick and probably my best shout at 2h45 but dropped out at 19 as per my plan. I then spunked Prague in the first 5k!

I was able to run the next day after Glos and although I had a bit of a lull, I was confident and pushed on. 2.59 is the plan this time round which I will definitely stick to. DanA is is happy with this and  Gobi will be running as well.As it's a 3 lap course, circa 7m, dropping out after 2 and going back to the car would be about 22m as well. Worth a thought.

• Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭

Good stuff Jiffle King.  8 weeks to Barca!

Did just short of 20 today fairly briskly, finishing the week a little over 60 miles, including the 7.5m race yesterday but otherwise pretty steady.  Longer run felt OK but started running low on gas towards the end - hopefully another 3 or 4 20s will get me used to the longer stuff again.

• Options

KB, I am going to try the same and give the tempos a go. I have ds-trainers biut they are on 800miles and counting, I can't find the ds trainer 14's at a decent price anymore so will switch to the adidas. I run 9.5-10 in Asics, so will try 11 for the tempos as I know a 10 is slightly too short in the one foot. Ihate shops, so will order online andsend them back if they are not the right size.

Had a great ride to Windsor and back 60 miles ave heart rate 131...steady and sunny!