Options

Calling ITBS sufferers

Comments

• Options
    knock, knock... room for another fed up and sorry state of a runner?

missed a marathon on Sunday and not run properly since Easter. I am soooo fed up.

had 6 weeks of rest, been to fizz, got orthotics.

Can you please slap me and tell me to get a grip?
  • Options
    Little Miss - what has the physio told you? are you building up your leg muscles?
  • Options
    He's said that he'll have me running again in a few weeks. NOt run properly for 2-3 months or so.

I have some exercises to do. Balances, a stretch with the crossed leg (if that makes sense) and the usual ITB ones.

He's doing laser, ultrasound and acupuncture..

I've got orthotics but don't wear them as much as I should as they aren't the best for nice lady shoes :-) Might go see podiatrist.
  • Options
    Do you have exercises on gluteus and quads
  • Options
    Went to the doctor this morning, he is a runner..or was(?) and he checked out my knee, a lot of pushing and pulling later and he thinks I have some out of alignment that can be brought back with quad strengthening exercises, which I have been doing anyway, he says that I should be up and running in a few weeks if I give it a rest from the plodding and work hard on my quads - so here goes...
  • Options
    GTG - that sounds promising. Now you'll have superstrong quads to go with your six pack and buns of steel!!

Thanks for the abs exercises - I've started working on my own six pack.

Katypie - sounds like you're doing everything right so hopefully you'll be back running soon. I know what you mean about the orthotics and nice shoes. I've resigned myself to a summer of pumps and ballet shoes and consigned my sandels to the back of the wardrobe!
  • Options
    Afternoon ITBS sufferers!

Well, I've changed to the half marathon rather than the full in September (New Forest). Just hope this knee gets better in time to train for that! Still plodding about 2 miles before it starts to twinge, but it seems to be getting less painful. I know I should rest it completely but things are really stressful at home at the minute and not running is really not an option as it is my way of coping.

So has anyone had ITBS and then its got better? I mean, is it a promising sign that although the niggles kick in at about the same mileage, they are not as bad as initially? I am managing about 6 miles per week (2 on treadmil, 4 off road)and the rest of the time I'm cycling/swimming/eplitical training. Bit of a change from 20-30 miles per week!

I AM SO FRUSTRATED!
  • Options
    Yes I got better - ran my first half these weekend had some twinges in my knees during the last miles but seem to be recovering ok - I thinks its a condition you learn to manage.

If you are knock kneed or bow legged you are always going to be prone.
  • Options
    Fat Fyes...I had itbs in my right leg and now it has recovered and I didn't really feel it at all during the FLM. You do really need to stop running altogether for a few weeks..I know it is really frustrating but I kept trying when I had itbs first and it just wouldn't get better, every time I thought it was O.K. I would try to run ans "hey ho" it was back - I went to the doctors and he said to have a complete month off, so I did, not any running at all, I wrote myself an exercise chart (which I can send to you if you like) and stuck to it religously creeping towards the 'run' day. I was really nervous the first day out but it was completely pain free, I gradually built up my miles again all virtually niggleless (if that's a word lol). The problem I have now is that I have tried again too soonafter London, which is why I am doing the exercise chart again and no running..yet. No gym, just good home exercises..sounds like Delia Smith in a leotard:O)
  • Options
    Thanks Grum! I'd love to see your exercise sheet actually.

I had about 9 weeks off running last year at about the same time of year (i.e. the best part for running) with a bad hip...same leg! Dr said it was trochanteric bursitis, but now i'm thinking it was also itbs!

The problem I have is that I don't run to keep fit or lose weight really, my main reason for running is stress release. I work full time nights and have four kids (whom I adore), but when I go running I am uncontactable and chilling out for an hour or two at a time and it helps me be a calm,patient, loving person. Without it I AM A WITCH! ask my kids!

Anyway, enough of my whinging. I'm off for a little jog to decide what I ought to do about not running for 2-3 weeks. I've tried not running for a week and there wasn't much improvement.

Appreciate the support on this site though ((ITBS thread)).

• Options
    Have you tried cycling? some say it aggrevates itbs, some say it is fine and doesn't niggle at all
  • Options
    Yes I cycle Grumle, and I really enjoy it....but its not the same.

Anyway, I've just run 4 and a bit miles with absolutely no discomfort until 3 miles, then it was just mild discomfort. I wonder if it is something to do with running on uneven stone path. I ran my route back to front which ends on the stone path rather than starts with it and it was fine until I hit the path....any thoughts?

Anyway, time for breakfast and an anti-inflammatory ;o) What are we like.

Thanks for e-mail grumle xx
  • Options
    Fat fyes - is the stone path like cobbles/rough?
  • Options
    Hello all, another one with ITBS probs here (Hi again Katypie!). Missed out on Edinburgh because my ITBS problem started 3 weeks before the marathon, and like everyone else here jolly fed up. Am re-aiming now for Dublin in October but just want to sort knee out properly and quickly.

Fat Fyes - I am like you, trying to maintain gentle, slow, 4 mile runs rather than stop running completely (as physio suggested). I do not get any pain doing 4 miles, just a bit of tightness that comes and goes.

Anyone, do you think it is ok to still be running like this? Physio has given me stretches to do but that's it.

I'm into my 4th week with only a few short runs in that time, and no real improvement as yet (actually stretches don't really feel like they are doing much, as particular one he gave me is hard to replicate as well at home with partner assisting).

Grumlethegoat - would it be possible for me to see your exercise chart too? Sounds like it might help.

I just don't know what to do for the best - stop running completely (have no bike, easy access to a pool or gym to maintain fitness) and go stir crazy, or continue with my short, slow runs (so long as no pain).
  • Options
    Hi Babu - no problem - I'll email you and you could email me back with your email address and I'll send it to you.
    My advice is always to rest until you can run with no pain - even after 4 miles, or you can't give it time to recover. Just my experience
  • Options
    Grumle...yes, the stone track is very cobbley and uneven. However, it can't just be this as I do get pain on the treadmill after a certain distance.

Babu, I read that it was ok to run as long as you stop as soon as you feel discomfort, however, I'm sure this will prolong recovery. In my case, as in yours by the sounds of things, this is better than not running at all albeit frustrating. I also allow at least a day off inbetween running and take regular diclofenac. But I am sure Grumle is right in recommending we rest....I just can't do it.
  • Options
    Hi,
    It's been a month now since I had my steriod injection on my lateral right knee. Was told to do absolutely nothing for one week and then the 2nd week i could start swimming (front crawl) which i have been doing abt 3-4 times a week. I've now only been back up in the gym doing light leg weights, bike and cross trainer. I was told to give it a month by one consultant and two months by another before i try running again! I will compromise and rest for another two weeks before that dreaded first run and hopefully pain free. Mind you I am nervous about going our running again and feeling any niggle....
  • Options
    Hi Deborah - I always feel so nervous about that first run post-injury. Were the docs OK with you using the bike and cross-trainer? (I found the cross trainer aggravated my knee).

I'm just back from an acupuncture session at (my third!) physio. She gave me electrotherapy and ultrasound too so I'm expecting great results! The acupuncture was strange - not painful but not entirely pleasant. She agrees that the IT problem is probably related to my weak glutes and knock-kneedness (not sure that's a word!). She is happy for me to do shortish runs on the treadmill or off-road for the next week or two (wearing the strap) and then to slowly build up my mileage again. In the long term she recommended doing as much of my mileage off road as possible and avoiding roads with a steep camber. Feeling a lot more positive about things so I'm off to the gym now to work those glutes and do a couple of miles on the treadmill.
  • Options
    Well 2 miles at the gym on the treadmill pain free today! Didn't want to push it any further than that but I believe I may be on the mend. I'm going to stick to 2-4 miles for now and when thats painless and as long as the pain doesn't come back I'm going to slowly build it up avoiding the cobbly path and remember to take my anti-inflammatories a bit more regularly.

May be up for that half in September afterall!
  • Options
    Fat Fyes that's great news! I'm sure that half in September is still possible, just take it really easy now whilst it's still early days.

Well pain at only 2 miles on friday has well and truly put ideas of 4 mile gentle runs to bed. Gonna have to accept defeat for now and stop running for a bit. Have managed to get a very reasonable gym membership for a month so will at least be able to bike/cross-train (hope the latter will be ok for me, will see how I go with it).

Really frustrating as have been trying to speak to physio for the past two days to check a few things out, both days he's meant to call me back and both days he hasn't. Doesn't help when you're anxious and wanting to know what you can/can't do, when you're hanging on the phone waiting for your physio to call. I don't need any more stress about this right now.

Does anyone know if it's ok to use the rowing machine with ITBS? I used to row a lot so was thinking this would be another option in the gym to help keep fitness up.
  • Options
    Babu - you should be ok but give it a try and if it becomes uncomfortable stop and stretch.

Just got back from marshalling my first race. It felt strange at first shouting words of encouragement to complete strangers but by the end it was hard to shut up.

Made it back to the finish line to cheer the last person over - it was her first race.

Keep hanging in there guys - there is light at the end of the tunnel.
  • Options
    Edwina - ok, will give it a go. Well done for the marshalling, I'm sure your shouting was much appreciated!

A little more advice needed for my cross-training...

I'm able to spend 1 hour per day on suitable aerobic stuff at the gym (2 hours or so on Sundays), but am confused as to what would be most beneficial, given that I want to maintain as much base fitness as possible for as long as I'm unable to run.

I was thinking to just do alternate bike/cross-trainer/rowing sessions for 1 hour each day, keeping my HR at 70% Max, but I'm now not so sure that I shouldn't be working harder, given that an hour on the bike/cross-trainer/rower would not equate to the same if running. But I don't want to risk aggravating my ITBS.

What do people think is most sensible? I suppose it would be good to come out of this enforced lay-off with some improvement in fitness, but given that I've already had more or less a month off, I thought a bit of cross training as base training might be better.
  • Options
    All your sessions shouldn't be hard maybe you could alternate hard with easy sessions. Don't continue through the pain though.
  • Options
    Well done Edwina - you know how much marshalls are appreciated...give yourself a pat on the back:O)

Babu - it will take you three month of complete rest - doing nothing - to loose your fitness so don't worry about that side of things and when you do get back to running you will be suprised at quick you get back to full fitness.
    You need to work on your muscle strength to help the itbs recover and be supported as well as working on your VO2-Edwina is right....don't do all hard workouts.
  • Options
    Babu, you should also include weights as part of your Gym work out so alternate aerobic days with days where you just do weights with a 10 minute warm up on the cross trainer. The leg press is particularly good for strengthening gluts and should not aggravate your ITBS.

I had 3 months off with ITBS and did cross training and weights. During the 18 months since have completed 2 half’s and 1 full marathon with no recurrence.
  • Options
    Babu

I have been off with injury before and all I did was 20-40 minutes cv work followed by leg exercises with weights...i.e. squats, lunges, one legged squats, upper body weights and core stability etc...

When I returned to running, not only was I suprised that my fitness returned really quickly (within a couple of weeks), but the work I had done seemed to make my muscles noticibly eager and more powerful to run faster and stronger.

Swimming is also a great whole body workout with minimum risks and keeps the CV strong.

I am back to running 3-4 miles and it seems that I am ok as long as I avoid uneven surfaces.....making me think that maybe my injury was something to do with knee tracking rather than ITBS? Still, I'm not complaining as long as I can run :o)
  • Options
    Thanks for everyone's advice. I will alternate easy/hard workouts and see how that goes. This morning did 1 hr on the cross trainer (10 mins warm up/down, with the middle bit alternating 5 mins easy/5 mins hard) and your ITBS didn't seem to mind at all. Felt really good to break into a sweat after all the days I've done nothing. Tomorrow will be an easy base training day.

Fat Fyes - really good news you are ok to run short distances. I don't know anything about knee tracking but so long as you're able to run pain free that's all that counts.

Have booked in with a different physio for 10 or so days time for a second opinion. Sounds really good (knees are her speciality).
  • Options
    Hi everyone,
    Well, after trying massage, anti-inflammatories, electrotherapy, laser, ultrasound, acupuncture, stretches, strengthening exercises, arnica gel, having my orthotics adjusted and rolling on a foam roller, I am finally running again. Just short distances (up to 3 miles) and sticking to off road and flat courses and I'm wearing a patstrap but so far it's going well. I'm also not finding it as hard as I feared, despite having 3 weeks of no cardio at all (except swimming).
  • Options
    *rolls eyes* runners wha are we like?