Options

Lake Vyrnwy Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Ha you're back Carrot Top, cheers for tip about hill image
  • Options

Just about to leave home....

Good luck everyone, and have a good run.

DTS

• Options

The hill's nowt, it's at the start, last year I did a 5:55 1st mile up that thing, and still did 1.21  image I may be driving down Carrott to cheer you on image

Pug 

• Options
    Ohhh that was a tiring 2nd half, but then it is the longest run I've done since op end of June, been back running about 5 weeks'sh.  Really enjoyed it and met a couple of really nice people during the race.   What scenery I'll be back...........
  • Options
    ouch! I can barely walk now but I got a PB, which is nice!
  • Options
    ouch too and a pb alsoimage what a great race and results so soon, wow
  • Options

well done porky and adair on your pb's!

i had a whale of a time, lovely day out, fantastic scenery and so well organised - thanks to oswestry olympians. i'll definitely do it again

pleased with my time too, better than i expected

• Options

Morning image

Well after saying I couldn't do it I woke up yesterday morning, looked at my number and a quarter to 10 thought "sod it!"

Really really freaked out when I got there though....talking to some people in the changing rooms I probably came across as a little neurotic!!!!

Buuuuuuuuut.....SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!!!  REALLY enjoyed it!!!  Dosed myself up on ibuprofen 20mins before the start and felt nothing and even feel ok today (bit twinge-y but nowt I can't handle)

Happy happy happy!!!  Tra la la la la la image image image image image image image image image image imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• Options

Oh, and the official results got me in at 2:23:10 but as I was near the back to start it took a while to get across the start line so my timing came in at 2:21:50

REEEEEEEALLY CHUFFED!!!!  My first half mara - roll on Dublin!!!!!!! image

• Options

Got my first sub-2 hour, well it was on my watch.  Although I was 10 seconds over on the finish clock, I started near the back so I'm trusting my own timing on this one! The official results added another 30 secs to the clock on the line, did anyone else notice the same?

Great event, the best half I've done. Scenery, atmosphere, organization, trafic free roads, enough water & sponges, plenty of parking. Excellent.

The ambulances rushing about were a bit of a worry towards the end, does anyone know if everyone was OK?

It was a bit disapointed the minutes silence for Doug Morris didn't really come off, we couldn't hear the tannoy at the back of the field so didn't know it was happening. The ribbons were a nice touch. I reckon the extra drag from it probably cost me that extra 10 seconds though.........

• Options

Doug Morris? Is he dead? image

Pug

• Options

I started pretty much at the front and the time was only 2 seconds out according to my watch. Official time was actually 2 seconds faster than my watch which makes sense. Did have another runner who had a GPS on and clocked the course at 13.4 miles though. Maybe they didn't take the racing line. I guess with GPS courses are becoming a lot more accurate!

Doug would have been proud of the race I think

• Options
    Well done everybody! I was looking at my watch, sitting at a pub in Chirk, saying to my bored family 'I would be finishing 'round about now...!' How did you do 'Daz the Slug', and all the other regulars on this forum? I am already planning to do Vyrnwy next year!
  • Options

Well done MM, AB & porky on the PB's and well done to AWTY & STSP with all your medical problems I am dead impressed.

That was fun, cold had eased off enough to have a good crack at it, although chest felt like **** afterwards.  However a good race and a great new PB 1:18:15, the whole race was organized extremely well.  Thanks Olympians for a great day out.

My only crit and it is minor one is the medal, its a bit naff, but I don't run races for medals and one of my favorites gives a fruit loaf at the end.  Although I do like a good nugget at the end of a mara, need something to remember the pain by.

PUG - yes Doug morris died the other week, we had a minuetes silence before our club 5k

• Options
    i used a foot pod system, (my GPS is always out), it cloked it at 13.25. but I know for a fact i was way off the racing line. Runners infront were running on the left (not the right) so cars were passing on the shortest route.
  • Options

Very pleased to have finished the course. 1:50:42 with my watch, which is a personal worst for me.

But with running with an injury, that will do me fine.

I can see why this race fills so quickly. What a great day. Hope to be back next year.

• Options

well done CP, that is a tremendous pb, even more so considering you had a bad chest, have to respect that!

• Options

Blimey, that's a shame, I shook his hand when I came 2nd place in his Ellesmere/Oswestry 10 Mile race back in May... R.I.P

Pug

• Options

I dosed myself up with pain killers the night before and they upset my stomach before the race. I was sick on the way to the race but despite that, I felt absolutely fantastic on the way round. Scenery was stunning and the course inspiring. I smashed my only other half marathon time by 25 minutes and finished approx 2:19.

My knee didn't give me anywhere near as much trouble as expected. I suffered after the race though and couldn't keep anything downimage I wasn't the only one either, I saw a couple of people being sick! It didn't spoil the day for me though, just feel absolutely elated that I not only got round but enjoyed myself so much in the process...will definately do it again next year.

Well done to everyone else. What a fantastic day image

• Options

1st Vyrnwy yesterday, really enjoyed it.

Thanks to the Owestry Olympian (Paul??) who ran with me - your GPS watch was godsend to confirm my pace - thanks again chap image

Got around in my PB of 1:27:24 which was under the target of 1:30mins. Just means I can now progress to the full marathon sometime after breaking that barrier. image

Really well managed event, will be back next year!!

• Options

^

Sorry, Oswestry Olympian.... image

• Options
    my 1st one also, very enjoyable race and really well organised. Had to run with a stopped watch which was caused by a clash on an early corner but that my fault as much as the chap that did it. Was asking people what time they had around me so was very pleased to finish in 1. 17. 47. Will definetely be back next year 
  • Options

STSP- you couldn't have been too far away from me...I clocked 2:20 but started at the back as well so say 2:19. Anyway, well done for turning up with an injury let alone finishing!

I envy all you sub 2-hour people. Having said that, one of our girls suffered a knee problem but was determined to run for her Grandson, Callum who suffers from cerebral palsy...she finished just under 3 hours which is remarkable...she had her own entourage of determined Dudley Ladies to make sure she did finish...so a massive well done to Brendaimage

• Options

STSP and Fizzog - glad to hear you both got round OK after all your tribulations image

everybody semed to enjoy it - what a superb race - a bit reminiscent of Coniston 14 only flatter!

I did my usual trick of grinding to a halt, and just missed out on sub-2, clocking 2:04 - which is still my "legal" PB (as the 2:02 I did was at White Peak, which is overall downhill).

Lady Slugge was the real star however: she took the first 3 miles relatively easily, than ran miles 4-10 in virtually metronome 8:40 pace(!)... then speeded up for the last 3 miles(!!)... and clocked 1:57 !!!

I am going to stick to shorter/hillier races from now on, to avoid further humiliation image

• Options

Thanks, Daz...and well done to you and Lady Slugge.

I had a brilliant day, in fact, I'd say it's my best race to date. It's really inspired me and given me back my confidence after all my niggles.

I've progressed to walking down the stairs frontwards today...top of my legs are still very sore. If I'd have felt a little better, I'd have probably spent more time stretching! Alas, I'm walking like a geriatric at the moment. I'm off for a short, steady bikeride in a bit just to see if I can warm up my muscles again. Then I'm off to the club to see if I can put one leg in front of the other without whincing!

So what's next for everyone? Me and my club mate Lady Snail are doing an adventure race over Cannock Chase a week on Sunday...should be fun...

• Options

Fizzog.....you sure we didn't have a chat on the way round???????

I saw all the Callum runners - I was wondering who he was, someone lost their picture though,  saw it on the road image

• Options

We may well have doneimage

I wore my blue Dudley Ladies club vest and had a picture on my back which ended up flapping around as soon as it got wet! I'd gotten into my stride and I didn't want to stop to put it right again in case my knee started playing up!

I was wearing headphones too which is a bit antisocial I know but music helps to take my mind off the pain on longer runs!

• Options

LOL I only ask as I chatted to quite a few people - didn't speak to any of the Dudley Ladies though (you all looked too scarey and clubby!! Heehee image)

I was in headphones as well, though I felt that great on the day I think I could have managed without!!  image