Options

Lake Vyrnwy Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options

Fizzog - you're not having much luck, are you?

Hope your knee gets better soon, and that you will be OK for race day...

Lady Slugge & I did our last pre-race long run (12 miles) together today. LadyS developed a knee prob after about 8 miles but bravely soldiered on (not sure if this was wise). We took the first 7 miles easy, at about 9:45-10;00 pace, then "pushed" the last 5 miles down to about 8:45-9;00 pace, with the last mile being run very strongly in 8:35 for me, and 8:25 for the speedy LadyS!!

It was by far and away the strongest I have ever felt over the last 4 miles of a 12-mile run, and bodes very well for my sub-2hr target image

LadyS is also feeling positive, although she did just have to go up the stairs one stair at a time, so hope her knee will be OK...image

Couple of minor runs this week, 6-8 miles next weekend, then TAPER-TIME!! image

12 days to go - anyone else getting excited yet...? 

• Options
    LOL I'm excited but not sure why........... still struggling to run after back op end of June which is taking longer than I expected to come right.   Everyone else keeps saying they told me, not helpful!  But my knees are OK image
  • Options
    Good luck, everyone in your final preparation for the race. I hope you all have a terrific time and all smash your PBs!! I will not be there, because my knee is still not right, but I will be there with you in spirit! I did think about turning up to cheer, but I have decided that I can't face it...better luck next year maybe!
  • Options

Speedy - how is your knee coming along - responding to re-hab I hope?
    when might we expect to see you whizzing about at races again...?

I have trawled back through the thread, and ome up with the following list of forumites that I think are doing LakeV

feel free to add to/amend: 

Adair Broughton
    Anthony A
    carrot top - 500
    clink - 1792
    Dale the Snail - 521
    Damian Miles 2
    Dave Hurst
    DazTheSlug - training on track for 1:59 - long ponytail
    Lady Slugge - training on track for 1:59 - dyed red hair
    Fizzog
    fozzy 1 - 1761
    Funk
    Helz
    IM Speedy - 1145
    Mr IM Speedy - 1146
    Jogging Jon
    Mr Happy - hoping for 1:45
    North Finchley Road Runner
    Ploddin Happy
    Ploddin Happy (Mr)
    porkyplodder
    Rich O
    Running Caz
    RunRabbitRun
    Slower than Snails Pace
    Smiffie
    snail lady
    Tigger's mate Roo
    VO2 Max - hoping for 1:15

I have added a few race numbers, so we could add to those - also maybe add current status/target time/how to recognise etc...?

• Options
    Hi Daz! Still seeing a fizz every 3 weeks. My knee is slowly getting better. I haven't done a race since the GMR on 20th May sort of time, and I don't think I will be racing for the rest of the year. I had hoped to do the Tatton and Antrobus 10ks this month but these are no goes. Optimistically, I have put my name in the hat for the FLM next year! However, at the moment, my fizz says I can only do 2 runs per week of 30 mins or so. I just want to get better for the big one next year, really....so it is mainly cross-training for me!
  • Options

I don't know about being excited but I am definitely starting to feel a bit twitchy. This is only my 2nd half. I want to beat 2h7m but I feel so sloooow at the minute! It says in the race bumpf though that it is a flat race, so i am hoping that will help my speed as all of my training has been hilly. 

My race number is 268 and my hubby's is 269. I'm short and blonde, hubby is bald and chunky! We'll probably be running together so say hi to us and I might share my jelly beans!

good luck everyone! 

• Options
      If anyone is interested I have a few spare numbers for Lake Vyrnwy Half marathon on 9th September & have been in touch with Margaret Morris, the wife of the late race director & she is happy for me to swap the numbers over to anyone who would like to run. We had a block booking for our club & unfortunately we had a number of people pull out due to injuries.   Im working on first come first served basis & normal entry price.  Contact number 01562 884662. Thanks.
  • Options

Adair Broughton
    Anthony A
    carrot top - 500
    clink - 1792
    Dale the Snail - 521
    Damian Miles 2
    Dave Hurst
    DazTheSlug - training on track for 1:59 - long ponytail
    Lady Slugge - training on track for 1:59 - dyed red hair
    Fizzog
    fozzy 1 - 1761
    Funk
    Helz
    IM Speedy - 1145
    Mr IM Speedy - 1146
    Jogging Jon
    Ploddin Happy
    Ploddin Happy (Mr)
    porkyplodder
    Rich O
    Running Caz
    RunRabbitRun
    Slower than Snails Pace
    Smiffie - 1052 2image0hrs yellow cropped top with blue stripe
    snail lady
    Tigger's mate Roo

• Options
    well that a dodgy smiley just tried to to put 2hrs with the zero's tee hee
  • Options
    My number is 638 and if I get round at all I'll be happy image Does anyone know if there's a cut off point? I'm sure someone said the cut off point was 3 hours???
  • Options

Did my last serious pre-race run on Saturday - 6 Mile tempo, aiming for 8:40-8:50 pace - did:

8:46, 8:44, 8:55, 8:50, 8:44, 8:26 - pretty pleased with this image - should make my target 8:50-9:10 pace seem doable on race-day...image

Lady Slugge had a recurrence of her knee-prob after 3 miles of her attempted run, so she is feeling pretty peeved image

her plan is to take things very easy this week, then dose up with ibuprofen b4 race, then hope for best and just try to get round...image

Adair Broughton
    Anthony A
    carrot top - 500
    clink - 1792
    Dale the Snail - 521
    Damian Miles 2
    Dave Hurst
    DazTheSlug - 1062 - training on track for 1:59 - long ponytail
    Lady Slugge - 1063 - dodgy knee, happy just to get round - dyed red hair
    Fizzog - 638 - happy to get round at all
    fozzy 1 - 1761
    Funk
    Helz
    IM Speedy - 1145
    Mr IM Speedy - 1146
    Jogging Jon
    Ploddin Happy
    Ploddin Happy (Mr)
    porkyplodder - 268 - wanting to beat 2.07 - short and blonde
    Mr porkyplodder - 269 - bald and chunky!
    Rich O
    Running Caz
    RunRabbitRun
    Slower than Snails Pace
    Smiffie - 1052 - 2.00hrs yellow cropped top with blue stripe
    snail lady
    Tigger's mate Roo

• Options

First go at this event, hoping to break 2 hours for the first time, did a 48.12 at the Cancer Research 10k yesterday so it's looking good, mind you I'm not sure how accurate their measuring is as I tokk over 5 mins off my pb!

Good luck all

Adair Broughton
    Anthony A
    carrot top - 500
    clink - 1792
    Dale the Snail - 521
    Damian Miles 2
    Dave Hurst
    DazTheSlug - 1062 - training on track for 1:59 - long ponytail
    Lady Slugge - 1063 - dodgy knee, happy just to get round - dyed red hair
    Fizzog - 638 - happy to get round at all
    fozzy 1 - 1761
    Funk
    Helz
    IM Speedy - 1145

Miami Mike- 1421image
    Mr IM Speedy - 1146
    Jogging Jon
    Ploddin Happy
    Ploddin Happy (Mr)
    porkyplodder - 268 - wanting to beat 2.07 - short and blonde
    Mr porkyplodder - 269 - bald and chunky!

Rich O
    Running Caz
    RunRabbitRun
    Slower than Snails Pace
    Smiffie - 1052 - 2.00hrs yellow cropped top with blue stripe
    snail lady
    Tigger's mate Roo

• Options

Just to let everyone know that we have managed to reallocate all the spare race numbers which our club had for Lake Vyrnwy Half Marathon. Cheers.

• Options

feeling a little more positive after training at the weekend.

Ran a short but tough 4.5 miles on Saturday. Cycled for 1-hour 30 minutes off road then ran for about 4.5 miles which included the dreaded Showell Lane, a particularly long and cruel hill on Sunday. Felt like I'd really worked hard but without the injury problems I usually suffer on a longer run.

So looking forward to tapering and just concentrating on eating and resting well over the next week!!! My schedule calls for two 3-mile runs in the week...what's everyone else doing?

Good luck everyone

• Options

I'm pleased to hear that your knee hasn't given you too much gip in this late stage Fizzog.

I'm lucky that I've been relatively injury free during my training, although it isn't over yet!

I have a gentle 30 minute run tomorrow, an easy 25 minute jog on THursday and then 15 minutes on Saturday. I've just been out for a speed session though today. School boy error at this stage! I was meant to do it yesterday but I had a killer of a headache. I'm sure I will have recovered from it come Sunday image

On my first half mara I was just concerned about getting round. I want to beat my last time on this one though and so I feel quite nervous now!  

• Options

knee sounds more hopeful fizzog

excitement, nervousness etc mounting here.
    after a virus wobble which messed up 3 weeks of training i got the planned week in last week and feel back to normal. not sure how much fitness i've lost from it so we'll see what transpires on sunday

taper this week is an 8 miler, a 5 miler and 8X100's taking 2 days rest immediately before race day
    just have to figure out which shoes to wear and how to get there now. afternoon start means plenty of getting lost time which is useful for me

good luck everybody!

• Options

My plan for this week is:
    Tuesday - 4M (2M easy + 2M steady)
    Thursday - 5M multi-terrain race, which I will take steadily for enjoyment, rather than "going mad at it"
    Saturday - optional 15-20minute  "ticking over" jog

Can anyone suggest a recognisable landmarky spot somewhere near the race-start for us all to meet up before the race...? 

Also, can anyone suggest decent pub(s) in Llanwddyn, Abertridwr, Llwydiarth area for Friday/Saturday nights...?

• Options

good luck everyone!

i'll be doing a tuesday multi-terrain and a thursday multi-terrain (hopefully) then a gentle run friday and resting saturday

aiming for 1.24.30 (pb of 1.24.54) 

• Options

I've lost my number (somewhere in the house move *sigh*) but it's unlikely now I'll be going.  Been so busy with work I've not been home for the past 5 weekends and really need to spend time at home.  Running's all to pot, did an hour at the weekend and my knee seized up afterwards.

Even considering dropping out of the Dublin Mara, no way I can do it.  Feeling pathetic and sorry for myself , think I might go and curl up in a corner and cry.  image image image image

• Options

Just to renew my appeal for: 

Can anyone suggest a recognisable landmarky spot somewhere near the race-start for us all to meet up before the race...? 

Also, can anyone suggest decent pub(s) in Llanwddyn, Abertridwr, Llwydiarth area for Friday/Saturday nights...?

STSP - can't help you find your number, soz image,
    and it will be a real shame not to see you on the start line,
    but I really think you need to see a sports physio - typically they cost about £30-35 per session (and some do an initial consultation for free) - even if you only go once, just to find out what is wrong and maybe be given exercises that you can do yourself to help...

• Options

I believe their is only one pub in Llanwddyn & that is actually quite a posh hotel. Never been there. Unfortunately, there is not much to do in Llanwddyn so we normally have a "picnic by the car-park". This year we've cancelled the picnic & will be stopping at a pub for an hour on the way back.

To Plodding Happy: You're not Ruth are you, aka Plodding Hippo?

We will be taking a coach from Stourbridge sunday morning. If there is anyone from that area who would like to join us, let me know. £10 each.

• Options

... and another thing!

does anybody know at what distances the water stations will be?

I like to nosh my glucose sweets just in advance, so it helps to know exactly where they will be... 

• Options
    Sorry you won't be making it, STSP. I know that feeling and it's horrible image I hope things improve for you very soon,
  • Options
    hey Daz, think I know who you are now, if you ran Mobberly tonight? Unless someone else has a really long ponytail too!
  • Options
    Adair - I did indeed run at Mobberley - were you running near me in the race, or did you just see me wandering aimlessly about (like I do)?
  • Options

http://ajw.blogs.com/photos/01_mobberley_5/dsc_3264.jpg

thats me, and I think you did a fell race and spoke to my friend rachel a bit in the race, she was wearing a green top like that too.

will say hi next time! 

• Options

i didn't do mobberley thinking it might knobble me for sunday but would otherwise have loved to go, very local for me so will definately do next time

will look for a man with a pony tail on sunday then!
    i have white vest with green stripes
    hope it isn't too hot
    very nervous now

• Options

found my number...yay image (I knew sort out the paperwork in the study'd be a good idea LOL)

Still don't think I'll be there though - Did go out for an hour yesterday so feeling a little more positive.  Only a little twinge in my leg.  Think I worry too much, must learn to relax a bit more, ho hum image

• Options

Daz the Slug, says in the race day info that there will be drink and sponge stations approx every 3 miles.

• Options

Hi everyone,

just been trawling through the messages, sorry your out STSP. ABi am very impressed both multi terrains.  i am gutted that i am not running the wirral ones, they are some of my favourite races, but my club needs runners for the NW relays we have had a few injury problems and decided that 8 races in 4 weeks was a little to muchimage

I have a bit of a cold so not sure how i will do tomorrow hopefully i will be over the worst by tomorrow and it won't effect me to much, i am planning a bit of a kamikaze one. weather conditions are looking perfect.  I checked the course out the other week and the only thing that concerns me is the hill at the start, you need to take it easy up that thing or it will come back to haunt you later.

good luck everyone