Options

Lake Vyrnwy Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Just found my time from when I last did this race in 1993 - 1:18:42 - this year I am gunning for sub 1:15:00 - who said it gets harder as you get older ;-)

Good Luck to all in the build-up to this wonderful event.

VO2Max
  • Options
    So what's the best tactic for this one? Never done it before, but I've been led to believe that the first half is slightly down hill and the last few miles seem to pull up a slight incline. Thinking to go for it over the first 6 level miles and hang on in for a decent time, brilliant tactics normally if you want to finish in a heap in a slow time!
  • Options
    Hiya Dave,

I`ve never done it before either so I`m as wised up as you! Sounds like a good plan to me though, I have only ever done one half marathon before and think I was being a bit over cautious and probably started off too slow. But wise to keep some fuel in the legs if it does hit a slight incline! Helz :)
  • Options
    Gonna try a "thirds" long run tomorrow (as recommended in the "Half-Marathon Essential Q&As" on the Home Page)
    i.e. I'm going to run 12 miles total, but run the first 4 miles easy, the second 4 steady, and the final 4 at target race-pace...
  • Options
    ended up doing 12M as follows:
    5 miles easy
    4 miles at 9:45 pace approx.
    1 mile easy
    1 mile in 9:07
    half-mile easy
    half-mile in 4:38

would've like to do all of the last 3 miles in 9:00-9:10 pace, but didn't have it in me
    it was 23degC/sunny though, so that may me partially responsible...

oh well, only one super-long run left now in a fortnight's time...
  • Options
    I have just read with great sadness that Doug Morris the race director and president of Oswestry Olympians has died.

http://www.oswestryolympians.co.uk/seniors/senior_homepage.htm

Apparently Doug died whilst out on his daily run. This event is very much Doug's flagship event. Any ideas as to how we should show our respect to such a great man whilst we enjoy this fantastic event?

http://www.shropshirestar.co.uk/2007/08/death-of-athlete-doug-75/
  • Options
    that is sad news indeed
    I didn't know Doug Morris, but I'm sure we've all come across the type of selfless, dedicated, enthusiastic individual, without whom a lot of races would not even exist in the first place, let alone gain a reputation as one of the best races in the country, that fills up well in advance with no need for extra publicity over and above word-of-mouth recommendation, and that is hugely appreciated, year after year, by the running/racing fraternity.

A minute's applause before the race would be possible

maybe we could run wearing black ribbons?
  • Options
    Black ribbons are a good idea Daz.

It`s such a shame, I`m sure he`ll be missed a great deal.No doubt race day will be quite emotional, especially for all those that knew him.

Helz
  • Options
    I don't mean anything too big/noticeable
    just a small token of awareness
  • Options
    is there any details on the funeral available? a lot of our club runners knew him, one in particular was a very good friend and would like to know details?

I guess people from Oswestry olympians will be arranging something on raceday too?
  • Options
    I don't know the details of the funeral but will post an update if I hear anything. Last evening was the Chariots of Fire 5K in Oswestry, the last in the Oswestry Olympians pentarathon series. There was a minutes silence at the start followed by a round of applause. I don't know if a minutes silence at Lake Vrynwy would work given the large field but am sure the club will do something.

I guess the best tribute is to turn up and enjoy the race.
  • Options
    really sorry to hear about doug
    sympathy to his family
    perhaps they can take some comfort that he left us doing the thing he loved

how's everyone's training going?

i was on plan till a couple of weeks ago, got up to 15 on the long run but been off target with virus type undertheweatherness since so nothing further than 9 since then ;(
    3 weeks to get on top of things
  • Options
    not good for me, my heel is still playing up and I've got ITB syndrome now. I've had a sports massage which left me battered and bruised and have been told to rest for a week. Did 10 last Sunday but had to walk the last mile home. Can't help feeling very frustrated. I'm exercising and stretching and hoping for the best.

• Options
    my training is pretty much on track
    gonna do a 10k time-trial tomorrow, to try to get speed up a bit
    then final long run next weekend
    then start tapering... WOOHOO!
  • Options
    fizzog - there are some specific exercises you can do for ITB -i can't remember where i saw them but will post a link if i can find them

good going daz, stay sane through the taper!
  • Options
    Hi clink. I've been doing exercises and stretches. I've been to see a sports physio for a massage (which was more painful than giving birth!)

I haven't run since last Tuesday so am looking forward to seeing how I get on on Sunday.
  • Options
    Hi,
    Can anyone help..
    I have been trying to email race organiser.
    Email provided in the RW fail seems it has been chnge or something.
    pls do help honest,
    its urgent thanks.
    T
  • Options
    My training's all to pot, ho hum, did 12 miles last week but had to walk/run it. Will have to do that for Vyrnwny and the Dublin Mara too. Have niggles in my left leg from hip to ankle, camber of the road maybe? It hurts to run. Right ankle's grumbling too, twisted it about 3/4 months back and it hasn't really been right since (heard a loud crack when I went over on it, instant pain and felt extremely sick for a few mins but it didn't swell hugely and could still walk on it).

I'm a wreck!! LOL ;o)

Seem to have lost my race number and all details of the race during my house move a few weeks ago as well. Have a horrible feeling I may have accidentally thrown them out. Not sure what to do now.

*grumble*
  • Options
    Hello

When were the race numbers sent out - I entered this in May...should I have received my number by now???
  • Options
    Sophie - you should've got your number very soon after entering.
    When exactly in May did you enter?
    The race filled up some time around the 18th May, so if you entered after that you may have missed out, although they should've returned your cheque...
  • Options
    STSP - did you ever see anybody about the ankle?
    chances are you've been "favouring" it, and that has caused the probs on your left side.
    I'd really advise getting looked at by a sports physio...
  • Options
    Hi Daz,
    Errm, no, I figured with a bit of RICE it'd be ok. As to a sports physio, there's no way I could afford something like that. We live on the bread line as it is! LOL ;o)
  • Options
    Hi Daz,
    Errm, no, I figured with a bit of RICE it'd be ok. As to a sports physio, there's no way I could afford something like that. We live on the bread line as it is! LOL ;o)
  • Options
    Us poor snails live a meagre life.
  • Options

STSP - I'll be hobbling too. I don't envy you doing a marathon with all those niggles but I wish you the best of luck. I'm worried about doing 13.1 miles let alone 26.2! And as for physio, just get someone to give you a good kicking...that's what mine felt like after!!!

I've managed 10 miles and I think that's about all I can do without breaking down. I don't want to completely knacker myself up before the race. I reckon I can jog 10 with a minutes rest at water stops and then run/walk the last 3...that's the plan anyway.

Aw all you poor snails, you can share my chocolate and Jelly Babies...

• Options
    Mmmm, chocolate and jelly babies - they're the only reason I run y'know!!! image
  • Options

ohhh smilies, tempted my out of lurking image

Struggling, but mileage up to 20 and longest run getting longer.......

Still my aim to just get round this half and Berlin Marathon now, but hey it will be an achievment of a different kind PW but with a good excuse........image

I'll go back to lurking now image

• Options

Saving our strength....! image

• Options

Went to Barmouth for the day today. Traffic was awful, backed up for 5 miles. I'd already got my running kit on because I'd intended to run on the beach before spending the rest of the day with the family. I got so fed up of sitting in traffic that I got out about 2 miles from the sea front and ran on, leaving my husband to park the car.

I've never run on sand before but it was well compacted near the water's edge and I really enjoyed it. I ran for about an hour before turning back so I'm hoping I managed 10 miles at least. The wind was behind me on the way back and I really didn't suffer too much. My knee hurt a little but I seemed to run through it...that was until I stopped...I could hardly walk after and it's very sore now...hoping RICE will do the trick before V. The wind did disguise the fact that I was getting burnt too!