Options

Leeds Half Marathon

Comments

• Options
    <sits and waits for the invite from Stoxy>
  • Options
    Where does this start and finish? I don't think I ever looked that up!
  • Options
    Town centre and town centre. Millenium square I believe Treiziste.

I did some of the route last night and realised that from the left turn which takes you back to town (last five miles) and up to just past the Abbey it isnt flat its undulating. Not as bad as the climb up stonegate road though. Should have realised that after all this time really.

Will be back when I have enquired about the pub.
  • Options
    Hi. Good luck to everyone doing Leeds, I was hoping to do a PB but the sounds of these hills have got me a bit worried. Did Nottingham last yr (my first half)in 1:28, are the hills worse than this??? Was hoping to do slightly better time than this.
  • Options
    Done leeds a few times, hills are long and draggie, and its always a warm day,so watch out for your water intake, and dont get fed up with the corporate runners,its a relay for them so they are only doing short distances, and when you are running down from the abbey, long slow drag, they seem to pass you every two mins, other than that enjoy it, usually lots of folk cheering.
  • Options
    This was my first 1/2 and furthest I have ever run, did 2hr 15min, which I thought was not bad considering I have only been running for 3 months. Was really nervous, but enjoyed it on the day.

• Options
    Emma, you picked a right one for your first half, but if you enjoyed it then well done, good time for someone not running for long, you doing this years?
  • Options
    A finish at Millenium Square means the Vic is only just round the corner. One of the better pubs in Leeds.
  • Options
    Assuming I don't konk out part way around, which pub are we going to? ;0)

And noticed there was talk of running clubs, think my running buddy might be hanging up her trainers after the Leeds half, so anyone recommend a friendly club near Moortown?
  • Options
    Whirley,

There are several running clubs in north Leeds - nearest to Moortown may be Chapel Allerton Road Runners (although I believe you have to join the tennis/squash club).

If you want to go a *little* futher afield there's Abbey Runners or my own club, Horsforth Harriers (highly recommended - we are renowned for being a friendly club).

• Options
    One week to my first 1/2 marathon and I I felt a twinge at the back of my knee. Not too painful but hope it's not enough to keep me out. is it worth it?
  • Options
    I there a pub planned? It's Skipton R4Life that afternoon so may be required there for photography duties, but might sneak a swifty.
  • Options
    Only 8 days to go and I am getting quite nervous about my first half marathon.

Anybody got any good recommendations for breakfast that morning.

Should i do some small runs this week or should i rest and leave it till thursday and do 1 run.

Any ideas?
    Thanks Mark
  • Options
    mark - do a couple of small runs ie: 30mins mon, tues and thurs. Rest completely Friday, programmes often get you to do a 15min jog the day before but I never bother!!

Eat 2-3hrs before some toast or cereal, then about 30-40mins before have half a sports drink & ?half banana. You don't want to try to much though if you haven't done it before. Highly recommend carbo shots as you go around.

I am no expert at all but I find this works and it had all been recommended to me!

good luck. oh and make sure you drink lots of water thurs, fri, sat to hydrate as well as eating good complex carbs!
  • Options
    Mark, I always have a big pasta meal the night before, then something like beans on toast for breakfast. I'm sure you'll have a great run and really enjoy it.

Stoxy - how bad exactly is Stonegate Road? I too was hoping for a decent time, but it's looking unlikely....
  • Options
    Amanda,
    In the abscence of Stoxy - Stonegate Road is quite a climb at about 3 miles into the race - it lasts for about half a mile I would guess. After it though you have a bit of a downhill bit on the Ring Road. As far as times go, I am about 3 minutes slower at Leeds compared to a flat course like Selby (my times are between 1hr 50 to 1hr 55). Hope this helps and good luck!
  • Options
    Having just run up Stonegate Road, I'm expecting it to be the toughest part of the race. Someone told me it's where most of the drop outs happen, and I'd say it's considerably more than half a mile, depending on where you consider the start of the hill to be (any incline's a hill in my book!). That said, I just plug away at it and manage to get to the top, steady away. As Philip says though, there is a lovely downhill to look forward to when you make it to the top!
  • Options
    Dropouts at mile 3? Blimey - have people no backbone?

And I ask again - is there a pub planned for after or not?

Cheers!
  • Options
    Andy - we were waiting for Stoxy to get back to us

she'll be back at work tomorrow.......

ps bought the 29 runs round Ilkley book today :O)
  • Options
    NSC - I saw that in the Complete Runner last week but I'd spent enough already. Is it any good?

Mark I'd definitely agree with hydrating well in the couple of days before and drink until 7.30am on the day then stop until 5 minutes before. Then you should be well hydrated but wont need the loo all the time.

Food wise don't worry too much, just eat well enough the night before and have a light brekkie IMO. Your body will have enough glycogen in the muscles to get round a half ok but there is no harm in resting a bit the day before.
  • Options
    Haven't got my copy yet, NSC - andy w is the guy who we run with most tuesdays and at the track on thursdays. Grumpy old sod but knows his way round Ilkley!
  • Options
    Morning all

Well the date for the free beer party has been changed to the week after anyway. So the pub I was going to suggest wont be open which is a shame as it has fine ale. I doubt he'll open up for us either.

So what about Becketts again? Not my favourite venue, but choice is limited on Sunday at that end of town. Or the Scarborough Taps next to the Train Station? Much nicer but slightly more expensive. Better ale and food though by far. And I can warn the landlord of our arrival.

Oh and dont listen to Mike about Horsforth Harriers. Kirkstall Harriers are much better;-)

And I really need to try and eat breakfast before this one. Real problem for me eating pre-race as I always feel sick and Im lucky to neck a cup of tea tbh. But I am starting to lose energy half way through races.

And on the subject of food. Im off for my dinner.
  • Options
    this ones my first race ever, i can wait, it should be ok as long as its not too hot i reckon, the climbs arent too bad, the ring road bits ok, and stonegate roads just in stages - up and then it levels, up and then it levels etc, meanwood roads the annoying bit for me. the rest of its ok i reckon.

ive done the route a few times as i live next to it, and hopefully will get somewhere around 2 hours.

good luck to all us involved!
  • Options
    Am with you on the breakfast thing Stoxy... I'm planning on a 7am get up for breakfast, then back to bed for a couple of hours.
  • Options
    Hi
    doign this race on sunday,looking forward to it as long as giant knot in right calf eases off. aiming for under two hours but who knows.
    in genereal what is the recommended days of prior to a half marathon?
    good luck everyone
  • Options
    Ran the course last week and did not find Stonegate road too bad. Am pleased is in the first few miles though as ther is plenty left in the legs. Have to agree with Stoxy though Kirkstall road goes on and on, with a cruel little uphill just before finish that doesnt look like much but killed me in training and in the abbey dash (from fire station on left)
  • Options
    Nasty little bu@@er that last little uphill.

Any more thoughts about the pub?

Yes if you see Kirkstall road as often as I do it does go on a bit.
  • Options
    Emma- Im doing a few tready miles tonight. Then a shortish one tomorrow or thursday. And circuit class friday. Which I probably shouldnt do but it can be done at your own pace so its up to you how hard you go for it. I may swim on Saturday, just a few leisurely lengths followed by the steam room though. Nothing strenuous.
  • Options
    live just up the road and run on it (in part) fairly frequently. Plan is to up the pace at around viva cuba and can normally run fairly quickly into town from there.
    Emma i did a speed session this morning, will do a steady six miles tomorrow, and go out with club for about seven miles steady thu. Then rest friday, saturday
  • Options
    Thanks for that, my plan was easy in the gym tonight and then a three mile in the morning before work. Feel like not doing much but am having to take it steady beforehand because of calf. I'll probably have a few legths in the pool and steam room myself though friday and saturday.