Options

First Timer

Comments

• Options
    I'm aching a bit from yesterdays 13 miles which is a bit of a worry! :s

Good luck everyone and ENJOY it!
  • Options
    ... oh and I am going to stop clicking refresh on the met office website - Sunday's predicted weather keeps getting warmer and warmer!
  • Options
    Great news Sarah!! Try not to worry about the lack of exercise and see it is a great resting time for your body to pull through on the day. Without that rest you might not have been making the final race at all. I am a bit worried that my taper time has been more tapered than my schedule planned but nothing I can do about it now, I will pull through on the day!

God is anyone else sick to death of eating! Can't wait til I can just eat what I fancy afterwards!
  • Options
    Well done CMR 13 miles I haven't done much at all over the last few weeks so am very nervous.
    Good Luck
  • Options
    p.s re the lavendar, I've always used a bit on my pillow when i'm feeling tired and it does help you to relax. Or having a bath with sleep easy radox in it, BUT if your mind is still wandering then it won't put you to sleep..
  • Options
    CMR - Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no i really want it to cool down!! How many showers do they put on round the course does anyone know?
  • Options
    Hi Laura can't do lavender it reminds me of child birth!!
  • Options
    Sarah you will be fine - I've missed quite a few of my runs too... I reckon adrenalin and crowd will keep us going. I just keep imagining the finish line and the cheering crowds and that sense of acheivement you will feel at the end. Bring it on!!!!

Re: lavender - think I might avoid it just in case f some freak allergic reaction to it! Yeah I am going a bit OTT! I had to pull out last year so not this year I hope!

Laura - I think I remember reading there were 2 showers at certain mileages which I cant remember. I might be wrong about this.
  • Options
    Does it really? Haha yeah maybe best avoided then. I would be inclined to have a glass of wine or something to help me sleep but I dont want to drink. Anyone else got any tips?
  • Options
    Yeah I agree, we've all come too far not to finish that 26 miles on the day. It's not going to be easy but its the ultimate goal for us! God, can't imagine how we are all going to feel afterwards! I can't imagine being more proud of myself than when I complete it
  • Options
    Go for a run before??? hehe no dont.
    Will anyone be running the day before at all?
    Read a book on accounting or something similar.
    No offence to accountants intended!
  • Options
    On the longer runs I mentally prepare myself as I am running... I tell myself that in 5 or 10 miles that I am going to be exhausted, that I probably will hurt so to be strong. It might sound off putting to some but I've found that it helps and when I do start to ache I can tell myself not to worry.. its all par for the course and I've been expecting it all along......its never usually as bad as I anticipate! :)
  • Options
    Hello fellow first timers!
    I too am v nervous, sick of eating,have hardly run for a fortnight (only 4 miles over the weekend)BUT....so excited actually!!
    Tried out my vest yesterday that I made with transfers,,bit embarrising running past the local pub with everyone shouting my name but hey - I guess we better get used to it!
    We must all come back to this thred next week with our stories but, for now, take a look at what has been posted on another thread...made me cry (oh there is going to be A LOT of that on Sunday I suspect!!!)
  • Options
    "When you stand on the Start Line, you join the club. When you stand at the Starting Line, you earn your membership. Millions dream of being where you are. You are no longer a dreamer. You are a doer.

Thousands more started a training programme but never finished. They started with the same enthusiasm (or more than) you. They started with more or less the same physical gifts or disadvantages as you did. They had no more and no less reason to be successful than you.

But somewhere along the way, they lost that enthusiasm. Somewhere on the road or on the track or treadmill, they decided that the rewards just weren't worth the effort. They decided that they could live without finding their limits, without challeging their expectations of themselves and without taking a hard look at their image of themselves.

You didn't. If you're standing at the Start Line, you've not only accepted the challenge, but you've also beaten back the demons. You've conquered your imagination and self-imposed limitations. You/ve gone further, got stronger and become tougher than you ever imagined."
  • Options
    CMR I think that is good - I dont think its being negative at all, just preparing yourself to deal with the reality of running that kind of distance. We all know its not going to be easy, BUT we all know our trianing hasn't been easy but that we've gritted our teeth and done more than we ever thought we could! I for one am proud of what I have done so far.

Gossy - that's lovely, choked me up too!
  • Options
    It's gonna be a great summer!
  • Options
    My tips for sleeping...

Don't do whatever I did last night as I hardly slept a jot - I'm nearly falling asleep at my desk as we speak.

Seriously though, I keep a pad and pen by my bed and whenever a thought crops up I write it down so its logged, then forget about it. I find it can help me sleep.

I did 12 miles on Saturday and felt good, I'll do a gentle session tomorrow night then that's it. Collecting my number on Wednesday. Staying at the Holiday Inn at Dartford Saturday night if anyone else is!
  • Options
    This is a little off topic... do you guys get email confirmation when someone replies. I've had about 20 for this thread and I keep checking back but there are no new posts. I thought perhaps the emails were delayed but there have been more "new message" emails than actual new messages.
    Anyone else experiencing this?
  • Options
    Yeah I get that sometimes CMR, have no idea why - annoying though!

Tom - that's a great idea bout the note next to your bed, as that's what stops you from sleeping!
  • Options
    don't forget to pack the red shoelaces!
  • Options
    Oh yes the red laces, quite excited about those! Am gonna hvae to do one at a time though cos no idea how my shoes lace up!
  • Options
    check this out... it might help ;-)
    How to tie a shoelace
  • Options
    Haha that made me laugh!
  • Options
    Gossy i'm all choked up now. Have any of you read the accounts from previous marathons on here. i nearly lost a whole afternoon reading some of them And blubbed alot as well!

just think this time next week we will be recounting our marathon stories fingers crossed they're good ones!!
  • Options
    Morning all

Yes I've read a lot of the stories on here, they really are amazing don't they, you get so choked up reading them and they make you even more determined to do it yourself. I had osteo last night so legs are feeling good. And I just got terribly terribly excited afterwards, was jumping round the kitchen with a big smile on my face. I'm still feeling excited today - we are going to run the marathon!
  • Options
    I checked last night. There are 4 sets of showers - just in case its too hot!
    I read the marathon magazine again last night ... mixed feelings of excitement and trepidation!
  • Options
    Oh cool 4 is good, do you have to run through them if you dont want to? It is quite cool today, hope the weather is like this on Sunday!

Got the mara magazine with me today to read. Going to make sure i read through it and go through the course every day to keep strong in the head and try and keep that excitement there.

Anyone going in fancy dress?
  • Options
    Those showers are a godsend. Even when it isnt too hot but they do have very cold water so be careful. It can be quite a shock!
    It is a fine mist rather than a full on shower though