Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    kaz1 wrote (see)

Don't know if I am being overly cautious or just plain lazy.........2 miles, pain in my side or cramp not sure but got a lift home to be on safe side???? grrrrrrrrr

Sounds sensible Kaz.

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Bedders - Should I offer a place to someone who has a name like a squatter ?  I thought Corcoran was a person so I imagined everyone sleeping rough but it's a bar, where everyone will be sleeping rough. I'm a newbie but there has been mentioned of "buying drinks" throughout this thread. I don't under what conditions, if it's for a PB, mine is actually 2h10. 

• Options

Kaz in Being Sensible shocker image

17 miles for me in lovely sunshine with tweety birds...that's me done for the week.  Osteopath this afternoon to unkink me before my holiday image

• Options
    PC91 wrote (see)

I'm a newbie but there has been mentioned of "buying drinks" throughout this thread. I don't under what conditions, if it's for a PB, mine is actually 2h10. 

We like drinks on this thread.  Mind you, at that speed you'll have drunk Corcorans dry before I finish...

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

PC91 & Bedders. Sorry, I thought you knew. The Paris forum is all about going to the pub preceded by a running tour.image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Orbutt wrote (see)

PC91 & Bedders. Sorry, I thought you knew. The Paris forum is all about going to the pub preceded by a running tour.image

And also occasionally drinking en route image

Well done Kaz! Sensible is the way forward! I've been out for a lunch this lunchtime and it was cold and wet and thoroughly miserable.

• Options

Get to drink like a fish afterwards...

/members/images/727962/Gallery/running_fish.jpg

• Options
    Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)
    Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)
    Dannirr wrote (see)

My worst out-of-control period is between dinner (supper) and bed.  So if I have my protein shake about an hour after dinner, it satisfies my "hunger" and chocolate craving and I don't go nuts on other stuff.  

Me and thee both!

I'll give that a try.  At the moment I'm trying to quash cravings like that by going for a walk for half hour.  By that time I'm either over it or I've more or less earned it!

DLR and Dannirr - score another for that out-of-control period... What protein shakes do you guys use?

8 weeks - and it'll all be over!

Sorry Iain - been offline a couple of days.  I'm a protein shake whore, so I've tended to use promax in the past (along with SiS Nocté on occasion) but the stuff I've infrequently used since the autumn is an egg & milk protein from Holland & Barratt.  Seems to pack a lower protein punch than Promax and is ludicrously sickly but I'll be using it up before returning to either the Promax fold or trying cheap but allegedly good stuff from myprotein.

Dannirr wrote (see)

Maus, Eggy - if you guys don't go, neither will we.  The only reason I'm coming all the way from the US to do it again, rather than choose a different one, is the people. All you people.

Ditto. 

I'll probably be at he start line but won't be making it to the finish but that's ok, I'll still have a lovely time thanks to you lot. 

In the meantime I shall continue to nurture and where necessary exercise my chimp, whilst erasing gremlins and installing autopilots...

yer_maj - Don't let the osteo remove too much of your kinkyness.  Mr yer_maj might be dissapointed!

• Options

Mr Maj is going to be spending the next week sharing a bedroom with his wife and his stepson who currently has flu and is coughing in a sepulchral manner.  He's not moved from the sofa since last Sunday...not convinced he's going to be well enough to ski by Sunday image

So the less kinkiness the better, under the circumstances....

• Options
  • Options

To cheer myself up I have just cycled 20km, and now my legs feel very heavy - thank you so much head wind!image

• Options

well done on that cycle.  the fog has appeared here, and I'm coughing and spluttering, but aim to get my 5k done today.  Not looking forward to it at all - this weather certainly is bad and getting on my nerve.

• Options

and the beat goes on ..... (are we nearly there yet?)

• Options

Afternoon all!!

Hope you are all on track re training... havent been around for a bit.. Jim kindly contacted me via fb..  Have decided this year to give Paris a miss.  I have kept on putting off the longer runs "oh its snowing" or "oh x y z is happening" and so just havent put in the training.  Its also been a really expensive year one way and another and I just cant get the funds together so will be planning to go to Paris 2014 and maybe even get round to doing Amsterdam in October...

kaz - are you fine now then?  Crikey talk about bouncing back!

yer_maj - fingers crossed re Mr YM....major man flu time?  Its been like an epidemic in our household too... I seem to be the only one who isnt coughing .. cant last!

Early morning for us Master NGUG now in third squad of his swimming club so six times a week swimming with three early mornings Monday, Thursday and Saturday (groan) and gym run by the Swim club also on a Monday.  Not sure if I am coming or going half the time. .. lol .. havent the energy to run!!

I will be popping in to cheer you guys on...

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

That's one impressive Runners' List...

Of course, all the good-looking ones are already in the Who's Who 2013   but I'd be happy to add more..image   jpeg, bib number and time goal to me so I can upload. Tasteful nude shots will go to the Private Album, as usual...

Bedders, Corcoran's, St. Michel  is the Oirish-pub-of-choice for a Sunday night post-mortem and show of medals. The 'choosing' process is entirely undemocratic so do feel free to suggest alternative venues...and then you just have to arm-wrestle the bossy Scots on the thread to get your way....  * and if you want to get buried in unsolicited advice and info' about the course/the weekend/the toilets etc , message me. Relax, there's nothing about actually running...*

Great to 'see' you , NGUG! I'm so sorry you're not running.We will keep a barstool warm for 2014.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

YM - I love the muscle suits but I haven't got the balls to wear one without shorts - or rather, I have image

NGUG image

DLR - I'm managing to understand my Chimp I sort of get my Gremlins but my autopilot is confusing me. All the other stuff is sailing over my head a bit. Happy with it all as a basic premise but it's seems a bit overcomplicated the further you get.

• Options

Noted on the pub ATM, can't wait to meet you at long last..!  You will wait for me won't you?? image

Just managed to knock a whole minute of my 5k run, even though I'm so snotty and chesty - so I'm really chuffed and off to scoff a crumpet..!!

I'm not on the list yet, but I'm way back in the Pink, not sure how I will do, but I'm always happy with "under five hours".  image  and still able to stand and speak...

• Options

Preferential
    991 Denis Duret 

Red
    3231 Small Hands
    3434 Neil Belgium
    4321 dhale750
    5000 Hockey Goalkeeper
    5995 Bedders 
    6032 Stray Runner

Yellow
    8186 seanb
    8461 Sporty Badger
    8843 Oops
    9016 The Engineer
    9114 djwolf
    10101 Dirty Leeds Rob

Blue
    14021 Mark Beevor
    14160 Weedy Gonzalez
    14467 kaz1
    14558 Edd125
    15080 Ward 6
    15149 MG09
    15350 phil in fitter
    16171 Steve Duffy 2
    16639 Simon MacD 

Purple
    28285 Pauline Macfarlae
    28790 Nicola bird 2
    28850 Eggyh73
    29684  Radar Sal
    30188 Johnny Lyall
    30213 Dannirr 
    31612 Elizabeth Ellis 3

Green
    37185 yer_maj
    37480 Suzy Martines
    37524 SP13
    37991 Emmy_H
    38351 peter burke 5
    38591 Febo
    38783 Cliff Parker
    39107 Trevor Olver
    39586 The Luverly Suzie (aka Mrs Ex-Spartan)
    39638 razdaz
    39658 Iain Moore 2
    39851 Dave The Ex-Spartan
    40116 Nic E
    40483 Tiddy
    40582 Clag
    41369 Monkey man
    41747 Scott Walker
    42380 Running Rodent
    42561 ATM
    43795 NGUG

Grey
    50009 the jimbob
    50501 swindon dave
    51095 KeyserSuze
    51222 James B 73
    51614 Mrs dj
    52460 TartanPimpernel
    52868 Orbutt

Pink
    58251 Londonliv
    58463 DV
    62660 Marathon Maus
    63573 Onetit

• Options

image You will be fine Onetit you are in very good company thereimage

• Options

The "Not being dead at the end" thing has a lot of merit, I reckon....

I've just been unkinked by my osteopath.  His receptionist said she could hear me shouting at him from downstairs image Mind you, I suspect he likes that...

Started reading The Chimp Paradox last night. Taking it on holiday with me but even I managed to cope with Chaper 1...

• Options

Another qustion for you experienced marathon runners...i've been doing my long runs with my small camelpak filled with dilutable juice which seems to help along the run image

Do you guys ever wear a pac at all for the actual race or just rely on whats given out at the water stations?  Debating wether to wear it or not!

• Options

Never worn one vicky.

For the most part the only liquid available will be water on the day - though there's usually one or two powerade stations after 18 miles.

• Options
    Orbutt wrote (see)

DLR - I'm managing to understand my Chimp I sort of get my Gremlins but my autopilot is confusing me. All the other stuff is sailing over my head a bit. Happy with it all as a basic premise but it's seems a bit overcomplicated the further you get.

yer_maj wrote (see)

Started reading The Chimp Paradox last night. Taking it on holiday with me but even I managed to cope with Chaper 1...

I found the first couple of chapters easy enough but once it got onto Gremlins/Goblins/Autopilots/Stone of life etc I started to struggle a bit - as there seemed to be too many new concepts all at once.  So, I skimmed through all the chapters to date again and made some notes and re-read those and after that it embedded in my mind rather better.

I've sort of deliberately not read any more for a few days as I wanted to let my subconscious work through what I'd learned so far and that's really helped too. 

I seem to be more self aware - particularly in regards to chimp's over reactions and the existence of gremlins and even that self awareness is a help.  Other interesting point, for me, is the idea of chimp needing to be nurtured in order that he is content and less likely to over react.  Went through that with the missus and we were able to see some interesting patterns and identify what might well have been underlying problems.

I'm quite excited by it so far.

• Options

Oh hell I thought there was only a chimp and a computer in my head as well as me.  Dammit.  I might stay on chapter 1...

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Vic_83 - I was dehydrating all the time so got a camelpak which was a great help. Since then thanks to better training and more appropriate clothing, I sweat less, dehydrate less, drink less.  I drink every 5k as per the water stations so I wont be wearing mine on the day.  Although I would also welcome advice from wiser runner on drinking (water).  I've tried to weigh myself before and after but I get more confused.

• Options

I wear a belt and this year I'll be carrying water as well as gels - about half a litre and I doubt I'll need more than that unless it's hot.  It's not going to be hot, is it??!!

• Options
    http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/images/post-top-left.png

Preferential
    991 Denis Duret 

Red
    3231 Small Hands
    3434 Neil Belgium
    4321 dhale750
    5000 Hockey Goalkeeper
    5995 Bedders 
    6032 Stray Runner

Yellow
    8186 seanb
    8461 Sporty Badger
    8843 Oops
    9016 The Engineer
    9114 djwolf
    10101 Dirty Leeds Rob

Blue
    14021 Mark Beevor
    14160 Weedy Gonzalez
    14467 kaz1
    14558 Edd125
    15080 Ward 6
    15149 MG09
    15350 phil in fitter
    16171 Steve Duffy 2
    16639 Simon MacD 

Purple
    28285 Pauline Macfarlae
    28790 Nicola bird 2
    28850 Eggyh73
    29684  Radar Sal
    30188 Johnny Lyall
    30213 Dannirr 
    31612 Elizabeth Ellis 3

Green
    37185 yer_maj
    37480 Suzy Martines
    37524 SP13
    37991 Emmy_H
    38351 peter burke 5
    38591 Febo
    38783 Cliff Parker
    39107 Trevor Olver
    39586 The Luverly Suzie (aka Mrs Ex-Spartan)
    39638 razdaz
    39658 Iain Moore 2
    39851 Dave The Ex-Spartan
    40116 Nic E
    40483 Tiddy
    40582 Clag
    41369 Monkey man
    41747 Scott Walker
    42380 Running Rodent
    42561 ATM
    42579 PC91
    43795 NGUG

Grey
    50009 the jimbob
    50501 swindon dave
    51095 KeyserSuze
    51222 James B 73
    51614 Mrs dj
    51653 Sarah Buchanan Smith 3
    52460 TartanPimpernel
    52868 Orbutt

Pink
    58251 Londonliv
    58463 DV
    62660 Marathon Maus
    63573 Onetit

• Options

Audrey - Have no worries about thinking you are slow...  however slow you think you are, there will always be someone else who is slower..    by running slow you get more value for money for your entry...  you have time to chat, stop for a coffee and croissant and see the sights....   you get to party will all the cool people at the back...   if you pace it right, you will find you overtake people from mile 23 onwards who were initially ahead of you but are now dying because they went out too fast...  you can cruise past them with a smug smile on your face...   there is no such thing as 'too slow'.

Vic_83..   I started wearing a backpack last summer...  I put the electrolyte mix in it (1.5 litres) and I carry 2 x 500ml bottles on the front which have my Perpetuem drinks.  I sip the electrolyte and top it up when required and I will sip the other bottles.  The volume of liquid consumed is entirely dependent on the weather...  I also carry a 100ml bottle and sip that, but its more for comfort than requirement.  I just like to have something in my hand.

• Options
    Dark Vader wrote (see)

I just like to have something in my hand.

It'll make you go blind DVimage

• Options
    Dark Vader wrote (see)

I just like to have something in my hand.

a SiS gel ?