Options

Snowdonia marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Where are you getting these race numbers from?  Not on the entry list.

• Options

Cheers for the link..

1411  then.

It's a bit close now.

• Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Bristol - there always has to be one awkward person doesn't there!image
  • Options

Holy hell, nearly had a heart attack. Went to link to look for my number and I wasn't there...then remembered they list the chaps first. Phew...I'm thereimage

How are the legs Ex Chimney? Are they up to another 26.2 mile outing in 5 days? Mine are killing so off to Spin soon in the hope that a bit of circulation to the muscles aids recovery.

Are we all getting a tiny bit excited now?image

• Options

Not sure excited is the word, cacking myself. Good to see on here that lots of other lunatics chose this for their first marathon.

Weather looks a bit middle of the road. 12 deg, 40% chance of rain and 15mph winds? Would it be frowned on if I wore a light jacket or do I just man up and stick with a vest? Those that have done it before, how changable / exposed is it up in the clouds?

• Options

Stanners.....I've been called the very same thing. Well the way I see it, after this everything else is literally going to be down hill knowing that hopefully my WB (worst best) was at one of the hardest marathons in the UK.

Brer.... Excited? If it's possible to be nervous excited then that's what I am. I was offered the use of a Land rover to get there Friday....I've requested the Ambulance variety just in case.

• Options

A bit of a random question for those more experienced members of the forum.

How long a recovery would you recommend before training for the next event? I've pencilled in to do the Thames trot in Feb, so was thinking of maybe taking a weeks recovery and then limp straight into training for that.

• Options

Snowdon was my very first marathon way back in 1995.

I was given number 108, and have kept it every year.

For some reason, I find Snowdon an easier marathon than London, probably because you have to pace yourself more carefully and because there are a few snazzy hills along the course, you have to change pace whilst using different leg muscles.

It is the only marathon I now do on an annual basis, and I bet quite a few Snowdon virgins will be back every year for more enjoyment and punishment.

For all of you doing Snowdon for the first time

ALL THE BEST, and forget the nerves, if you have trained properly which most of you will have done for your first taste of Snowdon glory.

You will finish, if you set off at a sensible conservative pace, nothing silly, just gently does it, and see if you have anything to give by the bridge in Waenfawr, if you have , you've been sensible, and run the race sensibly.

Have a great day, I am sure you will.

• Options

There is not a single bit of the Snowdonia Marathon that I don't love.  Running around probably the best mountain in the world is a joy to behold.  Whatever the time taken when you get to the finish and collect the piece of slate you'll know that no other marathon will ever feel the same.

• Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

I've been running for five years. This is my fourth SNOD. Says it all really image

Stanners, they will be lot's of jackets on show. I will be taking one, not so much for the weather but because I have a funny feeling I won't be going fast enough to stay warm in the last quarter......

on that score Brer, quads are a little tender today but my calf is definitely damaged, possibly too much to recover by Saturday. Having a massage on it tomorrow that I'm really not looking forward to, I'll be in tears......

One of those memory's that has stuck with me is the lady who power walked past me as I ran, well, had a running gait at least, up the hill at waenfawr.

Loveendures, as several of us have done mara's, ultra's and other similar races in the last couple of weeks I'm not sure this is the best place to ask when to start training again.....image

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Options

Or possibly the best lol

• Options

LoveEndures - just read back on what Brer's done as "training" for this marathon ... think that'll answer your question image

Who was asking about food?   The lovely parents and children at Waunfawr school usually have a table with flapjack, jelly babies etc (plus water) at the start of the dreaded final couple of miles.  Worth stopping off for image  And, of course, at the top of Bwlch y Groes, there's always the landrover with hot flasks of tea and boiled sweets image  And didn't the water station after Beddgelert have Mars bars last year (or did I dream that?).

PJL - you sound much happier this week, which is great news image

Brer - fab running at Abingdon.   Must have been getting Ofsted out of your system image

FWIW, did a very steady 5 miles round a lovely, but very muddy, woodland trail yesterday.  Found it very hard going, but guess that's the old taper bug kicking in (well that's my excuse, anyway) image

• Options

Hiya gang, back from Spin, that sorted the ITB issue.

Now, do I need to dust down my vamp-goth costume for this jolly? I will certainly look out for a nurseimage

Training for the next marathon, don't do it...just do multiple marathons! Next one for me is Hardmoors Goathland on Nov 9th..hardcore but beautifulimage

SD, I forgot about the lovely chaps with the flasks just as you are about to descend on that lovely bit which I am sure by now will be like a river.

Kit-wise-I have made several mistakes in the past, namely taking too much. If it is cold, I just have a crappy fleece and bin liner to ditch at the start. By the time you get to Pen Y Pass, you will be sweating so you don't need loads of layers. Waterproofs are irrelevant really, cos if typical rain comes..they wont help.

Gloves are always an issue for me as I get really cold, I now wear rubber disposable jobs to protect my hands until they get warm.

This is the only marathon which I get so excited about because it is the very best challenge in the face of adversity. If it is a nice day, well that is a bonus. We will do our best team and then go to The Pantri for treats at some point. See you soon SS X

• Options

Eek i am 2317, you will all recognise me in proper nurse uniform at the start but if it chucks down and dress gets too heavy then I'll be really annoyed! Glad there are some flapjacks/ marsbars, the gels have led to some unfortunate race disasters.... 

• Options

Hmmm how come there are 1700 chaps and only 500 ladies? Is this not a race for the fainthearted??? 

• Options

No Camlo, its a don't wear your best mascara and tights event, however we are all in it togetherimage

• Options

I'm so excited, although i'm not sure why - I reckon it'll hurt more than the Outlaw triathlon, and that was very, very hard ... image

the more it hurts the more money's worth I get, I suppose  image image

• Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

I'll make a stab at names and numbers. Also gives me a good excuse to move myself to running round the mountain. Did think of creating a new catergory of staggering round the mountain, but think that will include most of us come about 23 miles in image

On my wish list, to be fast enough to watch people run properly up that hill............

3:10

• Stephen Weston 3  (1st SNOD)

3:20

• NOSEMI  (4th SNOD)

3:30

• Ultra Disco Stu  (3rd SNOD)

3:40

• Fieldy  (3rd SNOD)

3:45

• Banterful

Sub-4:00

• BritNick
    • Fenland Runner (4th SNOD)  - 1176
    • Lemmy

4:05

• touie 2

4:10

• LoveEndures (1st mara)

4:15

• Harshad_Patel  (2nd SNOD)

Sub-4:45  

• KingKenny (1st SNOD) - 1411
    • Other Half  (1st SNOD) - 585
    • Reydon Rover

Sub-5:00

• Stilldreaming  (6th SNOD)

Sub-7:00

• Peter John Lewis (not sure how many SNODs because some were technically DNSs)  - 108

Running round the mountain:

• brer rabbit
    • Bristol303  (1st mara)
    • Britrisky
    • Camlo - 2317
    • Chrissi
    • Cougie
    • dave williams2  (1st SNOD)
    • Duffs2
    • FlatBoy  (1st SNOD)
    • jason d
    • jenf - 2155
    • joesbox
    • John Bach
    • Kandinsky
    • KateF
    • Mr panad - 545
    • panad - 2140
    • Pete Thomas 6
    • pinkbug
    • ringo100
    • Snowdonia Snail
    • Stanners from the Bridge  (1st mara)
    • Steve J
    • Strag RouteMaster (3rd SNOD)
    • Tattooed Runner 41
    • T Rex  (7th SNOD)
    • Wabo  (1st SNOD)
    • Chimney (4th SNOD) - 1661

• Chrissi
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Right,1st Law of Lists:

1)  ALWAYS cut and paste the MOST RECENT edition of The List image

• NOSEMI  (4th SNOD)

• Fieldy  (3rd SNOD)

• Banterful

• BritNick
    • #1176  Fenland Runner (4th SNOD)
    • Lemmy
    • #1244  T Rex  (7th SNOD)

• pinkbug  (2nd SNOD)
    • touie 2

• LoveEndures (1st mara)

4:30

• #1661 Ex Chimney  (4th SNOD)

• #1411  KingKenny (1st SNOD)
    • #585  Other Half  (1st SNOD)
    • Reydon Rover

• #2317  Camlo  Nurse uniform

• #108  Peter John Lewis (unsure how many SNODs because some were technically DNSs)

• brer rabbit
    • Bristol303  (1st mara)
    • Britrisky
    • Chrissi
    • Cougie
    • Duffs2
    • FlatBoy  (1st SNOD)
    • jason d
    • #2155  jenf (1st SNOD)
    • joesbox
    • John Bach
    • Kandinsky
    • KateF
    • #545  Mr panad  (2nd SNOD)
    • #2140  panad  (5th SNOD)
    • Pete Thomas 6
    • ringo100
    • Snowdonia Snail
    • Steve J
    • Tattooed Runner 41
    • Wabo  (1st SNOD)

• Chrissi
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

imageops ...  Adjusting for Ex Chimney before he starts fuming ... (Although I notice you seem to have removed the 'Ex' yourself, which is worrying.)

• NOSEMI  (4th SNOD)

• Fieldy  (3rd SNOD)

• Banterful

• BritNick
    • #1176  Fenland Runner (4th SNOD)
    • Lemmy
    • #1244  T Rex  (7th SNOD)

• pinkbug  (2nd SNOD)
    • touie 2

• LoveEndures (1st mara)

• #1411  KingKenny (1st SNOD)
    • #585  Other Half  (1st SNOD)
    • Reydon Rover

• #2317  Camlo  Nurse uniform

• #108  Peter John Lewis (unsure how many SNODs because some were technically DNSs)

• brer rabbit
    • Bristol303  (1st mara)
    • Britrisky
    • Chrissi
    • Cougie
    • Duffs2
    • #1661  Ex Chimney  (4th SNOD)
    • FlatBoy  (1st SNOD)
    • jason d
    • #2155  jenf (1st SNOD)
    • joesbox
    • John Bach
    • Kandinsky
    • KateF
    • #545  Mr panad  (2nd SNOD)
    • #2140  panad  (5th SNOD)
    • Pete Thomas 6
    • ringo100
    • Snowdonia Snail
    • Steve J
    • Tattooed Runner 41
    • Wabo  (1st SNOD)

• Chrissi
  • Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Sorry Mr Rex. Missed the latest, thought I had checked thoroughly ( very embaressed smiley ).

No need to worry on the Ex. I've been Chimney for so long that it is a name and not a description anymore, simply forgot the Ex bit!

Again my apologies for messing up the list. Won't happen again. I'll give myself a good talking to.

Jeez, I hate posting on a smart phone.
  • Options

BRERR - Superb effort and result at Abingdon and a jolly good write up too!

TRex - Looking forward to it. how do you take your eggs?

SD - love all the smileys imageimageimage

JD - Great news that you're starting! Are the green shorts making another appearance this year image lol

All SNOD virgins - the very best on what will be a wonderful day! PJL advice was spot all re pacing but you're all runners and marathon runners at that!! (or will be) so as we knowing pacing is not something we do well. The final hill will hurt like hell whatever pace you go out at so make hay whilst the sun shines I say ;-)

Not sure what runs to do for the rest of the week in my under-trainined stated. I think a 5m tempo run this lunchtime to get the legs spinning free, club (slow) social run (7m) on Wednesday, and something very easy on thursday (4m).

One more question - where's the nearest Parkrun to Llanberis??? A 10:30am start time gives us loads of time if its nearbyimage

• Options
    Just set sail from Dublin will be recce 'ing Llanberis shortly tempted to drive the course, but will probably only drive up the pass before heading to Ruthin which will be our base this week...got to love holidays!!
  • Options
    pinkbugpinkbug ✭✭✭

its only my 1st SNODimage

• Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

.....but not your last......

• Options

/members/images/217406/Gallery/Marathon_Eryri_course_profile.JPG

For the newbies, don't underestimated the climb out of Beddgelert (pretty much at the half way point) - try and bottle the buzz you will get from the crowd as you run through Beddgelert and use it to help you up the climb!?

• Options

Talking to Emlyn Roberts a few years ago, regarding his incredible time of 2 hrs 33min, when he won the 1991 race, only Jeff Norman has gone quicker, but not by much, just under five minutes.

Emlyn told me, the race does not really start until you start the climb out of Beddgelert,   he held himself back until around 12-13 miles, and then he picked up the pace (WOW).

Easier said than done I know, but if one can conserve ones energy until Beddgelert,those  crucial miles from Rhydd Ddu to Waunfawr will feel slightly easier, if one has done their homework training wise.

From the bottom of Bryn Gwynant to Beddgelert is a very fast 5 mile stretch,almost totally flat, and there is an urge to push the pace, but once you reach the half way point, outside the Gelert climbing gear shop, there is one savage relentless hill for nearly 1.7 miles, it's a huge energy Sapper, and you know you have the fun and games at 21.7 m at Waunfawr bridge.

Holding an even pace on the Snowdon course is tricky, if this is your first time, just do not expect a fast time, it's usually 20-25 min on top of your London time, but that's only if you have trained incredibly hard for the race.

Treat the course with respect, go for a pb elsewhere, Snowdon is one challenging course for the ill prepared, I WILL DISCOVER THAT THIS SATURDAY, it will be a learning curve to see how much inner strength I can muster.

Usually I try and do a very gentle jog up Bwlch Y Groes hill, but if you see someone literally crawling on all fours up towards the quarry at 24 m, that will be me, not hitting the wall, but hitting the wall and then hitting it several times more, just for good measure.

Saturday will be a big learning curve for me, it's up to me if I enjoy the race, or dispair because I did virtually no training at all.

• Options

Wise words,  And I agree that climb out of Beddgelert is harder than it looks in the graph above.