Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

ButterCup - very hard core indeed!

• Options

Hi Beanpole image

Take care JP, so easy to lose form with sit-ups and do yourself a damage.

Re. Emma C's training program question:

As identifying training zones may become something of interest to Emma (if not already sorted), I'd be interested to know how Don Fink's new Half Distance Ironman book says to do this. 

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Big case of CBA. Having another day off. image 

• Options

hi everyone

did a turbo today and was pleased to find the my legs and knees were fine after the double run yesterday image

planning on running again in the morning but the weather forecast is horribleimage

• Options
    Well I've just got home from a rubbish day at work, it's snowing, and I'm trying to convince myself to get out for a run. It will happen.
  • Options

I'll be biking tomorrow and turboing in the evening MC - the weather is going to be pants image

• Options
    Dragged myself out for a steady 3 miles over 32:44.19. Ran 1.5 miles then turned round. Paths that had been wet from the snow on the way out suddenly became suitable for Olympic speed skating on the way back!
  • Options

Well done to all that ventured out in the vile weather. I managed a wee turbo & run. Luckily dry for the run.

Will check HR zones when back downstairs!

• Options
    TheDanTheDan ✭✭✭
    The Dawn Shadow wrote (see)

Hi Beanpole image

Take care JP, so easy to lose form with sit-ups and do yourself a damage.

Re. Emma C's training program question:

As identifying training zones may become something of interest to Emma (if not already sorted), I'd be interested to know how Don Fink's new Half Distance Ironman book says to do this. 

Finks heart rate zones are the same for the half as the full, there's a website that can work it out for you here;

http://www.mile141.co.uk/triathlon/calculator.aspx

• Options

Bloomin eck Dan that's fab... Reassured me I'm in the right zone! image

• Options
    TheDan wrote (see)

Finks heart rate zones are the same for the half as the full, there's a website that can work it out for you here;

http://www.mile141.co.uk/triathlon/calculator.aspx

Thanks Dan, my bad I phrased it horribly image -  it's his method of calculating your personal max heartrate I'm interested in.  Previously he was saying to use the old 220 - age thing which isn't very accurate (for me it's 11bpm out of my present working figure).

Well done on getting out there DB.
    MC - good to read your knee/legs handled the double run well.

• Options
    TheDanTheDan ✭✭✭

ah fair enough DS, the half fink advised the same as the full (220- age) generally i use the standard route of running as fast and hard as i can for a mile, and timing it from there, it generally has worked out pretty similar though

• Options

That's pretty much what I did Dan. Pegged it up a hill for as long as poss. My resting is 65 at the mo and top of 188! EP is a bit of a phenomenon with her HR.... get on that treddie girl image

• Options
    TheDan wrote (see)

ah fair enough DS, the half fink advised the same as the full (220- age)

Thanks Dan, much appreciated. image 

• Options

Good Afternoon all image First full week back on training and survived so all good.

Saturdays long ride because a long turbo after 2 punctures on the winter bike. I ran out of tubs and had to go back on the my "race" bike on the turbo instead. Debating forking out for gatorskin tubs but the Wiggle reviews vary a lot on them so not sure.

I now swim three days in a row, its tough and I start to feel like a fish but I think things are showing improvement already.

On the max heart rate thing I've recently been told that for women it's 222 - your age, which is nice so I'm 40 and mine is 182.

• Options

I tried to find my max heart rate in the gym a couple of weeks ago. I ran hard for three minutes, then easier for three then really hard for three and I couldnt get it over 168. But I've beaten that in out door runs. I guess I should run my hill at home and see what I get. 

I'm in a posh edinburgh hotel on business tonight. I'll be checking out their pool and gym this afternoon before a posh meal to put back all the calories I burnt off...

• Options

Ali - good to have you back

pete - enjoy the posh hotel

re the max heart rate, I think when I did mine years ago I did a couple of miles warm up, then a good few hill reps, really hard. Or you could do a 5k and make the last  mile really hard. That should give you a max you can use. The 220 - age thing is not accurate enough to be of any use.

Well, haven't done anything yet today but hoping to leap on the turbo later. 

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I was going to do the max hr at parkrun last week but it was cancelled. Going for a 3 miler later and might put hr monitor on and see what I come up with. The last parkrun I did (11/1/14) my max hr on garmin shows as 178 but I've seen it much higher on the hills so maybe hills are what's needed. (Have I told you I hate hills? Especially when I'm unfit...)

Feeling very unmotivated atm, not really sure why. Just can't be asked with training thing atm...I know I know, I need HTFU and JFDI! I will I will, later...

• Options
    MrsDigger (aka sicknote) wrote (see)

EP is a bit of a phenomenon with her HR.... get on that treddie girl image

Yes, a tad higher than mine. My top recorded HR at the moment is 182 - so when I do my maths properly, Fink would be13bpm out for me. That 182bmp also meshes well with my Lactate Threshold Heart Rate test which came out out at an average of 155bpm.  Mind, my perceived effort can vary madly within zone 2 and I wouldn't bet my house on the accuracy of those figures.

The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

PS feel like crap but have kit for treadmill tonight

EP - Good stuff (prepping, not feeling crap), do you do anything to help time pass on the treadmill? 

Pete - enjoy the posh nosh.

mikasa, sorry you're struggling, I think we all spend some time in that place. (I think hills hate me, never found one that seemed to want to help me up it).

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    The Dawn Shadow wrote (see)

mikasa, sorry you're struggling, I think we all spend some time in that place. (I think hills hate me, never found one that seemed to want to help me up it).

That made me smile! image Never given me any help either. 

• Options

Just popping in to apologise for absence. Loss of mojo and feeling chesty.

I  managed a swim and pilates class yesterday but felt like an old woman of 90.

Turbo session tonight is looking unlikely as I need to get organised for a silly o'clock start travelling to Birmingham. Then even worse staying in a hotel with no gym or pool and no time to train, all work stuff including dinner with early start on Friday.

• Options

Was going to go for another run tonight to see how I'd cope with 2 days running.... running. However the weather is now worse than it's been all day (which is saying something), and where I'm supposed to be working tomorrow looks like it's going to be covered in snow, so work is going be "interesting" in the morning. So I declare today a rest day! It hath been decreed. Or something like that

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I just got home, another delayed train. image Got changed, on my way out for a run and I notice it's chucking it down sideways with the wind, I think I can wait bit longer..

• Options

It's freaking hideous out there - hard ride home! The beastie bike stayed upright but slowed down heaps.  Glad I was on the beastie bike tho' I was blown around a lot.  My CBA levels are high tonight for the turbo - feel like I already did it!  Hubby got me half fink for valentines day so have been looking at that all day and redesigning the training lead up to the Outlaw Half image

• Options

nice valentines pressie buttercup image

it is scary out there - power lines down locally and a fallen tree on my way home image no way I am going for a run, so turbo in the safety instead

• Options

EP - just been checking what my max HR was since I got the Garmin and it was 183 bang on what the 220 - my age should be image FTW!

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I didn't have to wait too long, some of the rain came down as sleet but I had a dry run. image 3miles easy, I did try to get the hr up on couple of upslopes but my legs really couldn't travel that 'fast' for very long so probably not my highest hr on the cards. But just had a look and 180. Has been higher on proper hills though.

Shower,food and rest and lazy evening for me now, what's left of it.