Options

GULP just entered my first half marathon

1506507508509510512»

Comments

• Options

just went out for a run today ended up doing 12 miles by then I'd had enough but a cut back week every now and then won't hurt

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Toby - well done re 12 miler.

I'm going to have to do a bit more than 7mls when I go out at the weekend. Working at home today and on 'earlies' so finishing at 2pm. And its a nice sunny day too. So am looking forward to getting my running shoes on after I finish work today and hitting the streets for a 5ml run around town.

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Okay, so it was 4.5mls rather than 5 and it had clouded over by the time I got out. But I got round in 46.40 (avg pace 10.20) which is not bad for me. The only problem I had was dodging the mums (in cars and on the pavements) who were out in force on the school run image

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Lovely morning - toddled round Cirencester Park and did just under 9mls at 10.50 pace. A few other runners out and about, a few walkers, some horse riders and lots of dogs and their owners. Including the inevitable 'friendly' dog who jumped up at me and I had to push it away with my forearm. And the even more inevitable owner, apologetic as per usual. Why the f**k they don't keep their dogs on a lead if they can't control them is beyond me - idiots the lot of them.

• Options

Evening all

trainings going to be a little different over the next couple of weeks as I’m start jury service on Monday  so may well just do some short runs during the week and a long run on the weekend  must get my training plan sorted to as that due to start in a couple of weeks

• Options

Best ofluck with the Jury service Toby - have you done it before? Quite a strange experience I seem to remember.

Good running (and resting!) all! After last Sunday's Chilly 10K at Castle Combe circuit I've just done a couple of VERY gentle runs this week. I sadly didn't get a PB despite pushing really hard, but then I've not been doing any speed training lately. Came in at 54:12 (last year at Swindon 10K was 54:02), this was flatter but harder in some ways  - you can see people ahead of you nearly all the way around, and it's 3 laps which is hard mentally.

Anyway, off to London tomorrow so no running but lots of walking.  Son is going to the Lego show with a friend and Mr B&T, whilst I'm taking daughter and one of her friends shopping.Wish me luck!

• Options

Running the New Balance half here in Hong Kong next week. Hoping to achieve some-where around the 1.5-2 hours at a nice easy pace.

(And yes, jury service is strange!)

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Well, it's a shame but that's me out of here. No-one appears to be interested in responding to anything I've posted for the last couple of weeks so I'll wish you well and head off into the sunset .. 

• Options

Evening all

Well have to say running in the darks a lot different to what I’m use to although it did give me a chance to use my head torch the poor things been sat patiently on the shelf for the last couple of years did 15 tonight things were going well till mile 13 when the legs went and i had to settle for just finishing the run so not the greats run

First day of my jury service today I decided to walk to and from the court thinking it was about 4 miles turn out when i map it to be just over 6 miles my explain why the legs went on the run tonight

B&T well done on the 10k bad luck on the PB your get it next time yes I’ve done Jury service before but that was some 31 years ago god i feel old

Alexander good luck with the Hong Kong H/M

Mel will miss you don’t go

• Options

Evening all

First week of jury service draws to a close have walked to and from the court everyday  and did actually manage to get to the running club me and Poohbear belong to on Wednesday for the first time in ages did 6 miles with them went out to night and settled for 10 so all in all the mileage didn’t suffer to badly this week

• Options

Evening all

well got home to late from court today to do a long run but the case I'm on should come to a close tomorrow so if i get an early finish will do it tomorrow then back to work Wednesday so hopefully training should become a little easier

• Options

no running this week so far as have got home to late from court the case i was on finished today and as I'm now no longer needed should be able to get back to some normality and start being able to go out before work again heading up the running club tonight will do 6 miles with Snowmaiden again today

• Options

Hi all, life is crazy with two new grand children, still running most mornings with my boys too, after the enjoyment of sodbury slog I've entered Brooks hell down south run in Hampshire for 17th January!!! Yep should keep me busy running over Christmas ...

Also found out today that jo pavey is starting brighton 10km and marathon in April ...apparently I've been told we look similar !!! 

Had a tooth out today too, took them 30 mins as it was below gum level and the root was bent over !!! Two dentists having a go, keeping my mouth open for 30 mins, I'm not feeling great tonight, so no running in the morning for me image 

Hope everyone is enjoying their running , B&T how is the loft coming along ?? Mel I do enjoy reading about your running, so please carry on telling us ...Toby still a machine as usual ....

• Options

Morning all

was going for 20 miles yesterday but have to say hit the wall big time around the 15 mile mark and decided to go home trouble was i was still 2 miles away so in the end i had to walk a couple of times end up doing just over 17 Oh well there always next time

• Options

Hello everyone!

Ooh Yvonne, that sounds horrible, hope it feels better soon.

Not to worry Toby, you're still out there doing it - 17 miles is fab.

I've been stuck at work for the best part of a month, first 30 minute plod back today and training schedule starting for the Cambridge half in March.

Have missed jogging immensely - had my kit on a couple of weeks ago and then the phone went calling me back in... Anyway, back now.  Hope everyone's doing well x

• Options

Morning all

Had a rest day Tuesday and then did 10 yesterday another rest day today the 10 on Friday morning and i have a sports massage book for Friday afternoon

• Options

Afternoon all

no running for me since last Wednesday had a sports massage on Friday so must get out tomorrow have to say though i seem to have lost all my running mojo at the moment and seem to be finding umpteen dozen reason not to get out the door hoping all will change after Christmas and I'll get back into it

• Options

went out today and treated myself to a new pair of running shoes went for a pair of Brooks this time i had them before well not this make which are ghost 7’s the last time i had viper 11’s

have to say they felt really comfortable when i tried them on the new balance ones i had, had started to make my feet sore when i ran in them and were giving me blisters although i had bought a size 8.5 instead of an 8 half a size bigger they were still crushing my toes when i ran down hill i think it was the way they were styled at the front if i ever get them again i will go for a size 9

I’m hoping with a new pair of shoes will help me regain some of my mojo after all it’s a lot of money to spend to have them just sit there

• Options

Hoping I'm not out of place jumping on this thread?

I've just entered my first half (Reading as have been told it's fairly flat), I've done a few 10k's this year so hoping that the step up won't be too scary! Giving the nike+ running app training programme a go, only on day 2. Hoping that as a fairly serious horse rider the leg muscles will be of some use....

• Options

Becks welcome to the thread although it's gone a bit quite on here just lately good luck with the H/M if you done some 10k's then a h/m shouldn't be too much of a problem

• Options

Thank you! Managed 4 miles yesterday, just going to work my way up slowly.

• Options

Afternoon all

went out yesterday and tried the running shoes out did 10 miles they seemed OK and just come back from a run with Snowmaiden we did 12 which is a real achievement for her as that’s the farthest she every run this time last year she was using a run walk

i have completely revamped my training plan and gone back to the old try and tested one I’ve used for Brighton over the last 5 years as it's the same one Snowmaiden will be following have to say it was nice to have someone to run with today

Becks that's sounds like a good plan

• Options

Reality check.

If you can do four miles with about 8 weeks to go look at jog walking it. Or if you want to run the whole thing you need to get to 10 miles in about week six. Just concentrate on that. The big thing here is finishing and if it's your first one...A PERSONAL BEST!

And a lifetime best but let's not go mental here.

Remember six miles is just under HALF WAY AROUND! And you are two miles off that.

So keep going. Keep training. Keep getting the miles in.

And if it's Bath, try not to beat me!

• Options

John - It's Reading so no worries there! Fairly determined so am aiming to run it in a respectable time (i.e. not last!). Going to up about a mile a week apart from long runs taking it slightly further.

• Options
    BikoBiko ✭✭✭

Reading is a really well supported half marathon and it's pretty flat (they've even removed one of the bigger hills from last year's course to make it "easier"). An ideal one to give a go. There'll be loads of people in the same boat as you too so you won't be alone when plodding.

I've entered as a lot of people I know are running. I'm supposed to be running a full mara soon so may do this as a training(ish) run rather than a race.

One downside of Reading is that if you're at the back (and I don't stand anywhere near the front!) it can take quite a while to cross the start line as people are let out in waves. Don't think I crossed the line until about 30 minutes after the official start time. (Although who knows, might be different this year) If it's a cold/wet day it's worth taking an extra layer you can throw away before starting running.

• Options

Ah great advice thank you! Slightly annoyed as ran 5 miles earlier in the week and found some pretty bad foot pain so been advised by GP to stop running for a week and take it steady - this doesn't entirely fit with my training plan *eek*.

• Options
    TheDanTheDan ✭✭✭

Hello All

Just thought i'd mention it on here but the yearly RW forum 6 comp is currently open, basically you pitch for a mentor to help you through your spring marathon training and provide helpful hints etc, it appears that this year they're very short of entrants for the 4hour+ slots, so if you'd like to apply knock up a quick thing saying why you'd like a mentor and pop it onto the below thread;

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/spring-marathon/rw-forum-six-ish/285860.html

toodlepip!

• Options

Hi everyone

Well that's gone and done it, I'm being trained alongside Becks over on the Spring marathon thread. I has Seren as a mentor image

and Wibble!!

Hope you all had good weekends of running