Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    SK - have you tried out the new shoes yet?   The lacing and the material don't matter so much, although the fabric knit looks nice and comfy, not so sure about the colour ;)   I meant any change in the cushioning and support, I checked my favourite review site but they've not been reviewed yet.   It'll be a while before I'll need any more shoes, I have 3 pairs of Guide 9's and only one pair has a few miles on them, I use them for my races, rarely for training.

Cal - annoying Garmin failure, but well done on your best time since returning from injury

steven - I suppose Loch Ness is out then as it's the week after Berlin.   If you don't want to cross the border I believe there is one at Strathearn in June, I haven't done that one.   Or Fort William in July which is trail, not sure if that is midge season then.

I've had a small bowl of porridge and just waiting for daylight to go out for my run :)
  • Options
    JugulaJugula ✭✭✭
    I was planning to run this morning and it looks ideal conditions but I was offered work so I'm now planning an evening run, when I first started I almost always ran in the evening but haven't done that for quite a while.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jugula - I hope it's still good conditions later when you do get out for your run.   Sometimes work just has to take priority :/ 

Lovely conditions here too for running, still a bit chilly but very good.   Had a most enjoyable run and on the way back I saw 2 bullfinches, haven't seen a bullfinch for about 15 years.   Then a few yards further on I saw my kingfisher, sitting on a branch, so beautiful :)
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Glad to see everyone is racking up good miles.
    On Friday I was feeling good and hardly felt the achilles all day but yesterday it was there most of the day.When I got my exercises they did say it may get worse as I'm stretching before it gets better so I'm hoping that's what it is.
  • Options
    The most exotic birdlife I saw today was a blackbird with vitiligo (at least I assume that's what he had, because he had a number of white patches). That's if you don't include the numerous ring necked parakeets that populate South London.

Conditions here cold and grey - cold enough that I didn't want to take my gloves off, but not so cold that I needed a hat. My eyes and nose ran a lot, though. Bleh.

That aside, I had a great run. I had a rough idea that I wanted to run 12 miles, but couldn't decide whether I wanted to stick to laps of Tooting Common (safest option given that it's not too far to limp home if I need to cut the run short due to injury) or head up to Brockwell Park, where I did most of my marathon training runs last winter.

After two very cautious opening miles I decided I felt fine and headed for Brockwell. The route I take there (via Tooting Common) is quite indirect so it's well over 6 miles before I reach the park itself. Junior parkrun was happening when I got to the park and the lucky tots were coming down the hill I had to slog up. I just did one and a third laps this time (the third because I always exit via a different gate to the one I enter) before heading back the way I came. I actually felt pretty strong towards the end, so I decided to make it a half marathon.

In terms of speed, it's a hilly route so the uphill miles were slower than the downhills, but I got quicker overall towards the end. Slowest miles were 1 (11:23), 2 (11:00) and 5 (10:59 - the mile with the most climb) whereas fastest were 13 (10:01), 11 (10:11 - all downhill) and 12 (10:18 - fairly flat).

So, happy with that. And now I'm off to Yin yoga.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - stay strong and don't become too despondent, you're doing all you can to heal quickly.

Cal - I've heard that blackbirds can have white patches, but haven't seen one.   Definitely no parakeets down here, I remember seeing them in Richmond Park though, chattering away.  
  • Options
    Shades, I tried the new Guides on my 10 miles this morning. They didn’t feel a lot different to my other Guides tbh, maybe a bit less rigid and more responsive but probably a similar level of support and nice and bouncy. It felt as if I had more room in the toe box than in my other Guides, but they don’t feel too big, they fit well. I mentioned the lacing as I think this is part of the ‘Isofit’ design that’s supposed to make the shoe morph to your foot. I understand that Saucony are going to be adding this to all their shoes. I LOVE the orange colour! And the guy in the shop has actually bought the woman’s shoes for himself as he didn’t want the boring blue of the men’s shoes.

Run was OK, still feels more laboured than it should though.

Cal - sounds like a lovely route for your run. You’re getting fit again just in time for marathon training.
  • Options
    Shades- The Fort William trail in July sounds good, the midges would be a pain but I suppose living up here we grow up with the horrible things so that wouldn't be an issue.

14 miles for me this morning not that cold however it was quite windy. Still trying to get used to my new Garmon 230 watch which in turn means my pacing is still a little to quick for my easy runs.
  • Options
    SK - well, Tooting Common and Brockwell Park are both lovely (aside from Brockwell's hills...but that is why I go there...). The roads in between are less so. The balance of grim road to nice park will improve once mileage goes up and I start doing more laps of the parks themselves.

Glad you like your shoes. The colour is quite eye-shattering (but I like bright shoes too!)
    Talking of which, my Nike Free Motions now have more than 600 miles on them. Given conventional wisdom says shoes should be changed after 500, I'm wondering if there's quite such a need with more minimal shoes like mine. It's not like there's a lot of structure or cushioning to wear down. I will likely change them before my second half (March) as they're looking a bit mucky, but other than that they seem fine, really.
  • Options
    JugulaJugula ✭✭✭
    Cal, good to see you getting the fitness and miles back after injury.
    Just finished a 6 miler, quite cold but nice conditions, hardly any wind, tomorrow is meant to be pretty wild and blustery. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    SK - ooh those new Guides sound lovely, I want a pair.   :/   I might be able to drop back to a size 7 as the toe box feels a little roomier.

Hope it's just a bit of tiredness and you're not coming down with something.

steven - the Fort William race gets good reviews.   You need to slow down a bit and stop blaming the watch ;) 

Cal - alternate your shoes, so you don't run in the same shoes on consecutive days, you'll soon notice any difference if you think your shoes are past it.  Or just keep them for your shorter runs and use the newer pairs for the longer distances.

Jugula - glad you managed to get out for your run.

Wet and windy here but temperature has shot up to 10 degrees B)  so I had a lovely run this morning, strong winds especially through Big G's area but it was so nice not to be running in the cold.
  • Options
    It's very windy here too - and rainy. I am very glad I chose to do my long run yesterday and not today! Talking of which, my legs actually feel pretty good this morning. Were it nicer out, I'd be tempted to go for a recovery run. But it's not so I'm not. :lol:
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I took a rest day yesterday after the mammoth 6-miles on Saturday(!) - I just felt really tired yesterday and didn't fancy running at all.  I'm still not 100% after this cold :(  I was supposed to be leading a session tonight at the club but I'm 50/50 if I'm going at the moment, so Jelly is taking the session for me instead.  

So nothing really to report I'm afraid.  NYC marathon ballot opens today though - anyone interested?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I've just walked back from Yogalates and it's lovely here, sun is out and wind and rain have gone, feels like spring :) 

Big G - good idea to ditch leading the club run if you're still not 100%.

I take it you're going to have a go at the NYC ballot then?;)   How much is the entry fee? I know it's very pricey now.   What are the chances of getting a ballot place?

Certainly a marathon to put on your 'to do' list, I went through a sports tour company and it wasn't cheap but it was brilliant and so well organised that it was worth every penny.   
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, it's on my "to do" list.  I've only been to the USA once, and that was to New York with friends and I absolutely loved it - this was about 12 years ago or so.  We spent most of the time eating, drinking and watching gigs - good times :) 

Funnily enough, I was looking at the odds.  The site says this, so odds not great if I'm reading it correctly:
    "After completing the Drawings for the 2017 TCS New York City Marathon, 16,211 runners were added to the field from a total of 98,247 applications.  Approximately 17% of NYC-Metro Area Drawing applicants were selected (5,145 runners); approximately 17% of National Drawing applicants were selected (6,748 runners); and approximately 17% of International Drawing applicants were selected (4,318). Thus, the pool of runners accepted through the Drawings was made up of 31.7% NYC-Metro, 41.6% national and 26.6% international applicants".

I read somewhere that you need to budget about $1500-$2000 to make a decent weekend of it, if doing it on your own.  More if via a company.  The race itself is $358 so very expensive, but it is on my bucket list.  However, this year, I will give the ballot a miss.  I haven't got that in my running/holiday budget this year - maybe I need to avoid other foreign trips or ones that involve flights/hotels one year, and put it all into that one race and do it via a tour company.  I've heard very good things about the companies.  The thing is, you can do a lot with $2000 - I spent in that region for a whole month in Vietnam, including flights, tours, excursions, sights, travel in the country, hotels, food and drink!  
    But NYC is definitely on the list, along with Berlin as the marathon majors.  

When you consider London is about £50, it's a total bargain.  They could charge a lot, lot more and still sell out - I'm glad they don't thought!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's a lot of money.  I went in 1998 and we paid £1,000 and spent 5 days in NY, all transfers included, airport and to and from the race.  Air fare, race entry and hotel included so we just had to pay for food which is cheap and our travel to Gatwick.  It was great we had an absolute ball and tour company looked after us so well.   I was fortunate that I did a job for an ex boss, collecting his rents for a year on an industrial site and for that he was paying me £1,000 so I didn't feel like I was having to save up or spend my savings for the trip.

But I've been asked so many times if I've done or are planning to do Comrades but I wouldn't want to spend that amount of money on one race, it's not a race I've ever really wanted to do, would rather do Two Oceans if I was going to SA.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    It's strange as for some reason I had just assumed I was going to get into Berlin.  Obviously I was not guaranteed in any way, but I had just assumed I'd get a place (misplaced confidence after getting into London ;) ).  I had a hotel booked and everything, and credit card ready to book the flights.  Berlin is cheaper to enter and obviously cheaper for us with flights etc.  I'll enter that ballot again, definitely.  But New York is just such a great city that I'd like to go back, look around the city again and do the event.
  • Options
    Big G - Yeah New York isn't cheap, but it's not too bad via a company compared to paying for everything yourself.

16 mile progression run on Saturday. First 8 miles averaged 8:25's then next 5 averaged 7:40's and last 3 (at around LT pace) were 6:39's. Last 3 I found really tough. Easy 4 mile recovery on Sunday for a 50 mile week. I actually found that progression run harder than a standard 20 mile long run!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I think that misplaced confidence of getting a ballot place for Berlin is nothing compared to some who enter the London ballot and then can't understand why they didn't get a place. :o    Hopefully you'll get into Berlin next time, it wasn't a ballot when I ran it but you had to enter quickly when entries opened.

Steve - it's worth not having to sort out race day logistics too and you can just enjoy the whole trip.   Make sure you allow yourself as long as possible for the expo.   When we went to the expo we spent a long time there and when we finally came out we were offered either a limo ride to a running store, or a minibus ride to another running store with a free lunch.   We opted for the free lunch and when we got to the store there was a huge buffet set up and we could just stuff our faces, which we did.   After that they politely ask you to look around the store, exchange rate was very favourable to us at the time so we bought some great gear.

That was a tough run, especially fasted.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah, I definitely didn't take to Facebook moaning about not getting into Berlin like some do about London.  It's just one of this things.  I'll keep trying :)    I've heard good things about Chicago, but for some reason that doesn't interest me.  I haven't looked into it all, but I'm presuming it's similar price to NYC and I'd prefer that over Chicago.  Boston is obviously out for me (too slow), and Tokyo doesn't interest me at the moment.  So it's NYC and Berlin I'm mainly interested in out of the majors, having done London obviously.

Shades, sounds like you were well looked after!
  • Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Hi Shadies, hope everyone had a great xmas and new year. Lots to catch up on...

Cal - well done getting back into parkruns over xmas

steven - sorry that your run got snowed off

SK - maybe your PBs in late 2017 were due to the base from marathon training in the early part of the year? Frozen fingers for an hour doesn't sound fun at all! It's something I suffer from a bit, normally ok once I get going if I have gloves on though.

MF/keith - sounds like you've both been in the wars again - MF terrible lucky you've had recently! Recover soon both of you!

Ian - don't worry I had to look up tartan track too - it's just "track" as far as I'm concerned!

Lots of 100MC chat - don't think I'm likely to get close to that many, I can sort of see some of the differing viewpoints and it is a difficult problem of inclusivity vs cheapening the achievement. On a smaller scale at our club you get an award each year for doing a race in 8 different distances. From memory there was a dispute last year as someone was told that doing the distance in a walking event didn't count, so he walked a running event instead (same event, different start time). Which is obviously not really in the spirit of things but you can't really have a rule to deal with it easily.

On medals - I've kept all the medals from all the races I've done, but the only ones I really like are the two marathon ones - London 2016 and Manchester 2017. I think they look really good. Some of the others are ok but many are just cheap tat. I don't like to throw them out though haha.

Right I'm going to give up trying to catch up before I post lol. Brief update on my running - not done loads only about once a week. Had a nice xmas, we were away the whole time until new years day. I forgot to take my watch charger so had to use my phone for the two runs I did, used the Strava app but it kept losing the GPS so don't have splits annoyingly. I did a 10 mile run on 28th Dec (my phone tracked it as 7.2 as it cut off a corner massively when it lost signal!) at a steady pace, kind of upper end of easy effort but maybe working a bit harder the last mile or two. Undulating road route with a big hill (approx 200 ft gain in a mile) near the middle. Came out about 7:50/mile average so very pleased with that. Then did 5 miles with the buggy on the 30th, easy pace which I've found is about 10 min miling with the buggy.

Since new year I've done a 5k lunch run at work in the first week back, then nothing till a 10k buggy run yesterday. Played squash a couple of times and been doing my normal cycling though, so probably in decent shape still. Hopefully get 2-3 runs in this week and try to get 3 a week in more consistently. If I don't manage it then I'll likely sack off my spring marathon plans.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - our trip was with Mike Gratton's company.   We also got a free Nike jacket with NYC on it, they were nice jackets too, they were from the tour company not the race.

I've looked at Chicago, expensive but a good one for a PB attempt whereas NY is a tougher course.

Welcome back Nick and Happy New Year to you too.   Catching up on the thread must have taken some time!

Annoying your phone was cutting out for your runs.   If you're up to 10 miles now that's a good start for your 2018 marathon plans.

Showers and a bit windy in places today, had a good run though.   Colder weather coming in over the next couple of days, I do hope we escape the ice :/
  • Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Shades - not actually caught up yet still have a few pages to read haha!

Yes I was really pleased with how the 10 miler went although I did feel a bit stiff from it the next day. Am planning to start extending my club runs on Wednesdays to make that my long run starting this week. We normally do about 8 miles (although this week is I think the short route which is about 7) and then I'll run home after which is another 4 miles if I take the most direct route.
  • Options
    Shades / Big G - I've looked at Chicago too, as I've heard it's a great city to visit. Luckily I can get GFA entry on that one, but still an expensive one to do compared to the European options we have.
    Nick - Good to see you back, 10 miles is a good base to start from. What spring marathon are you looking to do?
    Shades - Good choice on the free lunch!!

8 miles with strides this morning, legs felt good and HR in the right place. I have 3 weeks until my first race of the year...that seems to have come around quickly!!
  • Options
    The US marathon I'd most like to do is Disney World, but then I'm a theme park junkie. Of course I would have to tie that in with a trip to all the Florida parks. :grin: I can't imagine it's cheap but then, bucket list and all that.

I got a call from the mattress company this morning, saying they would deliver this afternoon, which meant I could go for a run. Lovely blue skies, but a bit of an icy wind again. (I really shouldn't be surprised that the wind is icy in the middle of frickin' January, should I?) I ran the first mile nice and easy but sped up a bit after that, rather unintentionally. I tend to do that when it's cold. I averaged 10:27 but it was more like 10:20 if you discount the slower first mile. Legs were fine other than a bit of initial tightness in the right calf and left hip flexor.

I've been making a point of stretching a bit after each run, including two minutes in downward dog. It's a good all-purpose move for back, hams and calves.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Nick - I'm sure you can catch up with the thread if you have a quiet day or two at work ;) 

Steve - I've just checked Chicago GFA times and I have an eligible time too :D  due to my advanced age However, not sure what races they count for qualifying times, but as I'm not planning to go I'll not worry about that.

What is your race in 3 weeks?

Big G - how are you, OK for Saturday's marathon?    I've seen the forecast and looks to be very cold on Saturday.

Jelly - did you find out if you'll be recovered from your blood donation for your half marathon?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I've hear the Disney marathon is a huge disappointment, you have to run at 5 a.m. in the morning so you've finished before the park is open/busy and often in freezing temperatures.   

Great news on the mattress delivery for later today :)
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    After all that they were fully booked. I'm now booked in mid Feb and no races close to date. Hopefully won't be to icy ❄️ Saturday planning on taking throw away hat and gloves just incase. 
  • Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Steve - Sounds like you had a good run this morning. What's the race? I had pencilled in Milton Keynes on 7 May, which is 16 weeks from yesterday. But I have said all along that I will see if I manage to get some decent long runs in before committing to it. I'll see if I can fit in some faster runs in the next few weeks as well as getting my long run into double digits. Last year I did a few 5.5 mile runs at a hard effort that I then extended to 8 miles at the same effort. They were tough but I think really beneficial.

Cal - a couple of my cousins did the Disney marathon (in Paris I think) last year, they really enjoyed it. Good job on the stretching, I've neglected that a bit recently, must remember to do it. I find when I stop stretching for a spell then I start to get niggles.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jelly - that's good that you're booked in for Feb so shouldn't interfere much if at all with your training.

On Saturday you'll be back at the start/finish at halfway so you can always drop any kit you don't need then and collect it when you finish.   The forecast I saw didn't show any sign of it warming up, a feels like temperature of 2 degrees is the highest temperature all day.  The course is sheltered though.