Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    You could have gone down a gear and done 6 or 7 x1km at 10k pace which is still a decent workout to say the least.

But yes, 2x17s in 5 days is one to rightfully be cautious on!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    The plan was to run the first 5 at hmp then progress so second 5 were at 10kp which i managed for 3 of the last 5. More importantly it was to run the latter 5 reps faster overall than the first 5. 

Legs feel very good today after a very comfortable 12 last night. 
  • Options
    5m @ HMP done.  Didn't stick to HMP at all because I'm an idiot.  
  • Options
    5m @ HMP done.  Didn't stick to HMP at all because I'm on a massive improvement curve and my HMP is actually more like my MP.  
    FTFY
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    DT19 said:
    The plan was to run the first 5 at hmp then progress so second 5 were at 10kp which i managed for 3 of the last 5. More importantly it was to run the latter 5 reps faster overall than the first 5. 

For a second i read that as 5MILES at HMP, then the next 5MILES at 10k pace
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    5m @ HMP done.  Didn't stick to HMP at all because I'm on a massive improvement curve and my HMP is actually more like my MP.  
    FTFY
    Tru.
  • Options
    I'll have a look at the paces after the race.  For now the 'feel good factor' is helping a lot and I'm conscious about taking things steady.   I've never chained 5 sub 7 minutes miles together before so that felt good.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    what is FTFY?

Yes David, obviously you will improve fast at your stage so need to regularly adjust paces. 

5 miles at hmp then 5 at 10kp, id call that a race i think!
  • Options
    Ftfy - fixed this for you

All this trampling over friends and loved ones to catch a sniff of a celebrity. I dunno.

I still have a heavy annoying head cold so my lunch run yesterday was about doing as little as possible without leaving me a mountain to climb for the rest of the week. Even then I am very close to calling 'cut back week!'. Today was a steady 10k which felt marginally better so maybe I won't have to curtail things and will do some hill reps later.

I would be happy with 4m threshold in most training weeks mileages with a parkrun at the weekend for fun as my two bits of quality in a week. Good run therefore David! Fast session from DT too. That's 1.21 half pace ;)

Thumbs up on the miles Mace.

0-9-9-10 for me so far this week.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Ah yes.

Well i think 3 of the 10 were at hmp, 4 were at 10kp and other 3 around threshold which was about right for the plan which was to work hmp-10kp.

easy 4 before dark for today. 
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    DT19 said:

Yesterday morning, my legs knew they'd done 12 Weds evening. That's the difference between somebody who has trained consistently and somebody who's trying to catch up. Having said that, they felt a darn sight better than they did the morning after a Sunday 13 some 10 days previous.

My knee still isn't right though and i'm hobbling a bit at the start of a run, then it seems to warm up and be ok. It's no worse but still there. Can't really afford to have any time off though so i'm hoping it will go away. I was hoping for 55-60 this week but i think i'll rest now until LR on Sunday .... maybe just a tiddly one tomorrow morning to take my streak to 15 days :s even though i know that's not the right choice ...

5-5-12-6-5

• Options
    Don't be a twat, Mace. It would be nice to actually see you at London.
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    My legs feel a little bit sore this morning but to be expected I guess after my first big marathon session last night. As per last year, I'm going to do a few of the Bournemouth AC sessions, if it's good enough for Steve Way and friends...

Last night was shown as 24mins/18/12/6/3 with 3 min jog recoveries between efforts. Plan says to start at MP and get gradually quicker on each effort. Decided on increasing the pace by 15 seconds per mile for each effort, so the final 3 minute effort was to be at 5K pace. 

It was dark, a bit muddy and bloody misty going round the river/canal loop that we use and the 12 minute effort which was at around HMP was sodding hard work (I told myself at the start of the effort to not worry about pace and just make it half marathon effort - muddy's words ringing in my ear). However, looking at the paces after the run, we were within 2 seconds per mile of target pace for each effort which we were pretty chuffed with. 

It's a good but challenging session particularly in the dark/fog and I was glad to be running with somebody else. Definitely one I'd recommend. 

Nothing today then Midlands XC tomorrow and an easy run on Sunday to hopefully round of a decent weeks training.  
  • Options
    Tommy2D said:

It's a good but challenging session particularly in the dark/fog 
    And that's why people think runners are nuts!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Decent session, Tommy. Good luck in the xc.

17 miles today comprising 6 easy, 4 at mp c2 easy, 4 at mp, 1 cd. Decided that was pushing my luck as a lunch break so booked half day as my wife is away working all weekend so no other chance. 

Decent session, legs were a bit tired by last mp mile. i was getting annoyed by that as I'd completely forgotten about the initial 6. 
  • Options
    13m done today leaving 39 so far for the week.  Will try and get out for a recovery 5k tomorrow. 

• Options
    kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭
    Plenty of decent miles this week and some quality flung in by all.

Hope xc was enjoyable Tommy  :) 

Club session on Thursday 6x1k reps 2 mins recovery and 15mls easy today.
  • Options
    Evening folks. Good to see lots of quality training going on. I'm just ticking over on fairly low mileage. currently on the way home from a pleasant long weekend in Cornwall and some nice coastal running. However, the wind this morning was so strong i could barely get onto tge beach, so had to make do with a meander round the town.
    Starting to think about Boughton 10k next month - anyone else doing it?
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    literatin said:
    Don't be a twat, Mace. It would be nice to actually see you at London.

I took your sage advice and didn't run over the weekend. I was moving my parents into their new place on Saturday and, jumping in and out of the van, i could feel the knee wasn't right so a combination of that and the shit weather meant i finished the week on Friday mornings tally of 33 and a NIL for the weekend.

Hi lou !!
  • Options
    muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Good run in the dark Tommy - but be careful because that is how I managed to ruin myself for London 2017 and beyond - going over on some sludge when turning a corner. Only just got back to the fitness I held before that particular training block :(

Well done on holding back Mace. I'm sure a bit of heavy lifting will have given you a reasonable workout.

I didn't manage a long slow run last week. The week involved mainly just snatching 30 mins here and there along with a couple of hour long efforts, all the while nursing the cold. Still even with all that scratching around for time, I got 57 miles under my belt so maybe not such a big deal to not long run. I could've attempted one late Sunday evening, but I felt tired out, so left well enough alone.

I did manage a parkrun somewhere between marathon and half marathon effort on Saturday morning on a predominantly muddy undulating course finishing in 18.42 (4th). Course pb there is 18.22 so I think I will be in a good position to beat that if I take a couple of light days before my next attempt. I managed 5k at marathon effort round a muddy reservoir in gale force winds on Sunday morning which came in at 19.42. Those bits and a couple of progression runs around the 5 mile length averaging 6.2x min/mile were my other bits of quality for the week.

ps hello again Lou - when and where is that ? I googled but it didn't turn up.
  • Options
    Hope that cold manages to finally shift itself muddy :smile:

Lower mileage week for me this week which I must admit I'm grateful for.  Aiming for around 28-30 miles but still going to try and fit in a quality session.  This weekend is looking quite busy so may be able to get out for a slow 8 or something Saturday morning.
  • Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    literatin said:
    Pete will know better than me DT - I haven't done a parkrun for about 2 years and have never done one in Edinburgh (because if I was in Edinburgh at the weekend, which I'm not very often, I'd probably have better things to do). I think the Cramond one is along the promenade at Silverknowes where they have the Scottish 5k champs, and should be very fast unless it is windy. As far as I remember there is also one at Portobello.
    The Cramond one Lit refers to must be very fast because the course record is 14:31 and 4 separate people have run sub 15. There are only 13 parkruns in the country with a faster course record.

I did plan to run a 5k at Silverknowes once because it was so fast but got injured (no surprise there  :'(
    I have run the one at Cramond/Silverknowes a few times. Haven't done Portobello.  I agree with everything lit and Skinny have said.  All I can add is that it was extremely busy the time I did it on a 6 Nations rugby weekend.
  • Options
    Evening all, low mileage week this week and currently sitting at 18 miles.  Monday's run of 5.5mi was done at varying paces but averaged 7:30.  The rest have been very easy miles at almost recovery pace.  

Tomorrow I'm taking a colleague out for a quality session.  He's at 23 minutes for 5k so I might build in some strides for myself.  Friday I may have off and then Saturday or Sunday will comprise of an easy run of around 8.  Aiming for 32 miles in total.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Thanks for your input, Pete. It is all wishful thinking as I will be binge drinking from Midday the day before. However if that involves me being in bed by say midnight then it might work out so i'll take my kit and barcode just in case.

Bit of a big session yesterday lunchtime as follows-

2m at hmp (90s) 1mile at 10kp (3 mins) then repeat twice. First set at hmp possibly felt the toughest of them all. Possibly not fully warmed up, though I did go 2 miles as wu. Reps came in-

6.19, 6.23, 6.05

6.09, 6.22, 6.05

6.13, 6.19, 6.09 (this wasn't me slacking, the last 1k were straight into a stiff headwind and I was quite tired by then).

Was due to do a 12 mlr tonight but shifted things about so it will happen tomorrow and tonight I will do the 7 planned for tomorrow. Should hit 60 miles this week.

• Options
    muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Good session DT. I did a progressive 10k finishing up around half pace yesterday lunchtime.

Then I stopped the floor with my head on a routine social club jog last night. I have a massive black eye and my ribs are killing me today. I may be out of action for some time   :'(  :(
  • Options
    kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

Muddy sounds like you did a bit of damage, take care.

DT another quality session.

David recovery week for you, enjoy.

Managed 9mld Monday and & last night both easy pace. Have a club session tonight 3x2mls, hoping for 7.30 pace.

• Options
    Ooh, I gave myself a black eye after slipping on ice running last year, as you may recall. Do let me know if you want me to pass on the make-up tips I learnt, Muddy.
  • Options
    Ouch!  Wishing you a speedy recovery muddy.

lit - how on earth does one get a black eye from falling over?  Did you fall onto something?  Sounds bloody painful nonetheless.  
  • Options
    It's easy David - you just hit your head on the road and all the blood drains down into your eye. I looked amazing. When I did it I just had a bruise on my forehead but was otherwise fine. By the evening, I had an astonishing black eye. Hilariously I was also meeting some senior colleagues of my partner for the first time that evening for dinner. As the meal progressed, my black eye 'developed' itself so I looked considerably worse at the end than the beginning.
  • Options
    You tend to slip sideways David, and at best get one arm out to break your fall. In my case the first I knew about it was when my temple/eye orbit hit the pavement.

Lit, did you do anything to your ribs in the fall ? Mine are killing me. Still got a stonking headache too.