Sub 3

Comments

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    5M recovery today: my quads haven't forgiven me for pounding down the Ashton Court hill yet!  And my calves aren't exactly delighted I did my best to power up it...
  • Noted TR - thank you - but I think I'd be too bored sitting around for six hours or so - not really how I want to spend the first day of my holiday so I expect I'll end up bimbling round something at least.

Have you seen a physio Jooligan or are you rolling around on a hard spiky ball?
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    Good long spell reading all the VLM reports.  Well done all - some inspirational stuff there.  Quite struck by just how standards seem to have risen, looking at the overall stats - they're making my placings well inside the top 1,000 look really good!  I also feel a bit lost reading some of it (what are these "Vapourflys" of which you speak?!).

Slowly picking up more regular running training as I approach the 22 Weeks To Go mark in my spreadie.  Entered a local half at the weekend which will be some way the wrong side of 1:30 but it's good to race.  Did a good 5-mile tempo at just under 7mm pace today but it felt like a flat-out race, and did my first double-digit run last week and some quite fierce hills with the dog.  Long, long way to go.

• CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    LMH> Charlie - how about two days on, one day off rather than two days off in a row?

Maybe -- I found my quality runs were still impaired a bit by running 2 days previously, but not so much. I'll have to compromise somehow.

Joe -- just skimmed the write-up, hadn't appreciated your vestigal fancy dress this year, nor your desperate final dash (reminiscent of mine exactly five mins later). Bravo!

Well parkrun Jools, hope the relays go well if you do them.

Dan -- good work in the half, I would have been in no state to race this weekend just gone.

I got back from my running-free holiday on Sunday, did 5K easy that evening and another 10M yesterday morning, feeling a little creaky still though. Cycled today, post-VLM blood donation booked this evening.

So how did we do compared to predictions? (Obvs I'm starting this because I know I just made my target!)...

LMH # 30905   CRUK 
    CC2
    CharlieW  <2:45 hopefully! [Actual: 2:44:56]
    Wardi
    OO # 30183  Yellow start  <2.49  <2.51  <2.53 
    JoeB A<2:38, B<2:39:48(PB), C<2:45 [Actual: 2:39:57]
    DanA
    CD <2:45 if all goes very well.
    ES  < 2:45 < 2:50 (PB) < 2:53
    Al_P A<2:28 B<2:29:30(PB) C<2:30 
    TT (training run)
    Crab
    Ode
    TickTock #30814 <3hr and >5 pints
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Good to hear you're all recovering well, or racing well again already! I usually take the following week off except a really easy run at the weekend, then maybe run 3-4 times the following week.

TR - forget about the course. You know what effort level you need to run at, the result will just be whatever it is. If you end up with 3:0x but run a strong even race, I know you'll be annoyed but you really shouldn't be!

JoeB - last Tuesday a guy at the club told me he was passed by someone wearing speedos and I told him I knew who that was! Unless there was another nutter in speedos running 2:40 pace which seems unlikely.

Unfortunately the lurgy lingered (for all 3 of us) for the whole BH weekend. Today was the first morning I didn't wake up drenched in sweat so I think I'm through the worst of it. So no training Fri-Mon except for a short easy run to a nearby forest to meet Mrs and mini-P for a dogwalk on Monday.

Just did 6M at lunchtime and felt pretty good (really wanted to release the handbrake but managed to restrain myself), but then I'm very well rested!

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    10 steady for me this morning.

Glad to hear you're feeling better, Padams.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - more double digits, you're getting there.

Padams - yes, its back to being an uncontrollable, i reminded myself that the point of going back to yeovil is to have a strong run after last yrs DNF. At least its still a 2 lapper so there will be no surprises after 1/2 way.

15 today.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Glad you're over the worst Padams.
    Nice miles today Jools and that tough Parkrun sounds like you are starting to make progress.
    Dan.. that's a great half the week after VLM, your peaks & troughs must be tricky to anticipate!
    Menn.. stunning 20m training run! :o
    Charlie.. When my clubmate asked my predicted time pre VLM I told him I thought I was in roughly 3:37 shape.  I suppose the 3:36.25 outcome was close enough for a cigar  :| 
    I had a steady run around York parkrun on Saturday but with 20+ mph winds on the exposed course even that was hard work.  Unsurprisingly course record holder Graham Rush was also affected and was a minute down on his usual circa 15 mins time.
    I travelled down to Faringdon for a couple of days to see friends at the weekend and managed to find a pleasant off road trail for a run.  A very nice and by the look of it quite an expensive area.  I'm still easing back into it with single digit runs 4-6m, legs are recovering nicely.
    LMH.. you were asking about the York course (hills etc).  There are a couple of brief climbs on the course which are nothing to worry about really.  Charlie ran his PB there so it can't be too tough!  The hill at circa 10m is a bit of a grind but it is brief and you are rewarded with a nice dowhill section to follow.  The same description applies to the cheeky hill at 25.5m.  I haven't run Abo though I get the impression it is more of a pure runner's race with a decent number of punters in the 2.45 to 3hr bracket.  I suppose the same might apply to York this year as it incorporates the masters championships.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Menn - Swift, hopefully a top 10 place then.

Always the pessimist, I did better than thought!  All pretty close predictions and actuals. 

LMH 
    # 30905   CRUK 
    CC2
    Wardi
    OO # 30183  Yellow start  <2.49  <2.51  <2.53   Actual 2.46.46 
    JoeB A<2:38, B<2:39:48(PB), C<2:45 [Actual: 2:39:57]
    DanA
    CD <2:45 if all goes very well.
    ES  < 2:45 < 2:50 (PB) < 2:53
    Al_P A<2:28 B<2:29:30(PB) C<2:30 
    TT (training run)
    Crab
    Ode
    TickTock #30814 <3hr and >5 pints
  • Couldnt Run A BathCouldnt Run A Bath ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019

LMH 
    # 30905   CRUK 
    CC2
    Wardi
    OO # 30183  Yellow start  <2.49  <2.51  <2.53   Actual 2.46.46 
    JoeB A<2:38, B<2:39:48(PB), C<2:45 [Actual: 2:39:57]
    DanA
    CD <2:45 if all goes very well.
    ES  < 2:45 < 2:50 (PB) < 2:53
    Al_P A<2:28 B<2:29:30(PB) C<2:30 
    TT (training run)
    Crab < 3:00 Actual 2:55:xx
    Ode 
    < 3:00 Actual  2:56:xx
    TickTock :#30814 <3hr and >5 pints

Been pondering how close that was to my actual fitness level. When I've been on it for a time before it's been purgatory over the 2nd half to maintain the pace. This got increasingly harder but the last 5k was the fastest at a 9/10 effort...uncomfortable but not a full on PhilPub gurnfest. Possibly could have been 30secs quicker over that section if I was looking to empty the toothpaste tube and if I was would that have been the best I could have been on the day? The HR certainly showed I wasn't wobbling. On the basis Kipchoge presumably empties the tank when he's gunning for the WR and generally the pacing is a (not on the menu but £10 extra) fast finish then whilst I'm not quite equating myself to him it has had me thinking how close the end result would be from both methods. I certainly know which one is more fun. Anyway if my mum had a pair of bollocks she'd be me dad and all that.

As you were.
  • I didn't realise that the masters was at York this year Wardi, I wonder if that will make a difference to the field at Abingdon? There are usually a lot of fast boys there.

Are you planning to run another marathon this year Crab?

From what I can find online York has considerably more elevation gain than Abingdon but according to this https://jegmar.com/stats-hq/fastest-races/marathon/ London has more PB potential than Abingdon with York closely following it in fourth place. I guess a lot depends on what you find difficult/helpful. I don't mind the lack of support at Abingdon or find the off road bit much of a hassle but then I wouldn't say that London was a particularly quick course.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    I dont remember off road at Abo, theres a bike path type track at one point but i think it was tarmac. Id say Abo would be quicker than vlm, but i guess it depends how you feel on the day, if its a good day then a fast time can happen regardless.

I had a crap and slow tempo run on the wind and rain this morning, was going to sack it, but decided that i spend enough time at 8.XX so i should just shut up and get it done, as its the effort that counts.
  • They may have tarmacked it then TR - it was a narrow sandy/gravelly path last time I ran it and we also did some grass on the final approach to the stadium/track finish. It wasn't nice out there this morning - I was pleased to be able to let myself off the hook with a short run in the name of recovery.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    10k for me in the rain & breeze this morning too, jacket and gloves out again!
    LMH.. some runners I know seem to prefer a few undulations in a marathon - a bit of occasional gear change in the legs rather than constant flatness.  Each to their own I guess. I'm pretty sure Valencia is the flattest marathon I've done to date.
  • I've heard similar strange tales Wardi. Wet an windy here this morning too and the same kit required.
  • LMH No that was my Chesney Hawkes marathon of the year I think. Been 'managing' pf for the last couple of months and made a pact that I'd hobble down the Mall and then knock running on the head until it's cleared. Far too many stories (including my own) of it hanging around like a bad smell for months and in some cases years. That said I wouldn't have done another marathon this year either way. Never been a huge fan of races.

As you were.
  • I'm even more glad you got the day you wanted then Crab - and hope that the PF does one quickly.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    Don't recall off-road as such either at Abo but I do remember a narrow path through a small wood. out and back. There was also the final stretch at 24/25 miles along a pavement (complete with pedestrians) before the final right-hand turn onto the main road back towards the track/finish. 

Definitely a smaller event compared to the bigger marathons but extremely well organised and has that pedigree I guess. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - you had better weather than here then, i copped a dunking. Good that you are able to run a bit again. That isssue was most rare for you, you are normally straight back to it.

SJ - I was stood at the 25m marker on that pavement trying to ease my cramping hammys whilst some fella watching was telling me to get running as i could get a sub3. I got stopped a few more times after that too.
  • I hated the last bit of Abo on the footpaths. Not done York though so can't comment, but due to the Masters competition I imagine the field will be decent. My England vest for the 10k arrived today. Luckily it fits. The race is on the 26th May!

• Little M.iss HappyLittle M.iss Happy ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Nope - I was soaked through too TR. Not back to my usual miles and having to see how it feels day to day but it's moving in the right direction (I hope).

Where is your 10k CC2? Are you planning an autumn marathon?
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

I don't remember anything not on tarmac at Abo, but it was a long time ago. I do remember the last bit through the town being a little bit annoying though.

Progressive run last night in the 35 minute window I had before nursery pick-up - 6:5x, 6:3x, 6:1x, 5:5x and 5:3x, then just under a mile cooldown. Hopefully will get out at lunchtime for a steady run.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Ah Chesney Hawkes CRAB, his errr, one and only big hit!  Penned by Nik Kershaw though you probably new that.  When I saw NK at a gig last year he reckoned the royalties from that song will probably be his pension and keep his cellar of fine wines suitably stocked.
    BTW my clubmate got a corticosteriod injection after months of struggling with PF, he had to rest for about 10 days but it did sort him out and he is now running pain free. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    LMH - how many miles are you up to now?

Padams - good progressive run there.

10m more for me
  • Birmingham LMH. I'm doing 100k in October, so while there will be a couple of marathons along the way, they will be at ultra pace and not raced. 

Chesney Hawkes had two hits I think you'll find. Although I'm Young wasn't quite as catchy as I Am The One With The Moley.
  • Hoping for double figures this morning TR but whilst the leg is much better I can still feel the calf especially first thing.

Which marathons CC2? At least it isn't too far for you to travel for the 10k.
  • Thanks Wardi will consider the car recommendation but at the moment plan is rest and rehab and then take a view on shock wave therapy as next option which anecdotally seems to have some merit.

Good to see TR searching for reasons not to believe this far out.

As you were.
  • LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Ow do. Long time no post etc. Just popping in to offer another possible option for CRAB's pf woes - have a look at cryotherapy treatment. A few places offering it up our way, and a few treatments seems to have completely sorted it for a couple of folk I know. Their feet aren't used to doing Precious McKenzies after eating garlic eclairs though, so your case may be far more serious. Oh and reasonable at London by the way - no VLM would be complete without you passing Dan down the Embankment!! Fair play son.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Double figures would be good LMH

crab - i see it more as getting my excuses in early. But you are right, i used to expect to, nowadays i hope to.

10m inc 6m mp.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    TR - For Yeovil, I am fully expecting a good sub 3 time from you.
    Speedy - Nice one on the English vest and the 100K!
    Longest run since London, 7 miles.  Enjoying the time off training, but worryingly eyeing up a marathon in Tenerife in November and a trail one less than 15 miles from home, in Cornwall on the 19th with 3,000 feet of elevation.