Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, sorry to hear you didn't make the race.  Sounds like a good idea to give it a miss though if you weren't feeling quite right.

Ian, as you say, that's still a great time - jogging in for a sub-3:30 is brilliant!  I really think your GFA will come and everything will come together on an event for you.

As for me, I went up and did Frome Half today.  I travelled up with a club mate (Worzel, but he hurt his hamstring so dropped down to the 10k whilst out on the course) and got there in plenty of time.  Facilities were good with ample loos, but it was hot at this point.  I got in the shade in the football stands (race HQ is at the town's footie ground) but I did wonder what would happen if it was raining heavily as there was nowhere really to go for that many people.

I did a final loo stop and went towards the front and the race was soon underway (it was delayed by a few minutes as there was a fun run for the kids beforehand, but one of the little blighters got lost on the course, so once she was recovered the gun went off).  Fortunately the race started in some cloud cover so it was a bit cooler than before the race, plus it did rain a bit in the last half an hour or so.  I was hoping for sub-1:40 so went off at 7:30s and got into the pace in the first 3 miles, knowing that a couple of climbs were to come.  I'd decided to forget about the pace on the uphills and just do my best, with the vague hope of trying to make up any lost time on the downhills or flats.  

I got to half way in just over 50-mins so at this point the sub-1:40 time was in jeopardy as I knew the second half was arguably worse than the first half, but I just dug in as best I could, although I knew I wasn't running quite as well in the later stages.  In the last mile there is a steep downhill, followed by a steep uphill to the finish and I lost some time on this bit sadly, crossing the line in 1:41:10 on my watch.  I actually wonder that if the last couple of miles had been flat I may have just dipped under my target time, but we'll obviously never know that for sure.

Like Ian, I was a bit disappointed initially but on reflection it's still nearly 9mins faster Torbay on a tougher course so I'm on the comeback trail (according to Strava Torbay is 521ft, whilst today was 874ft).  I hope at Bridgwater in September, if the conditions are reasonable I'll get under 1:40.

Splits from today are below so you can see where I lost the main time (mile 4 and also miles 12 and 13).

• Options
    I er might have finished last today ;) The wind was evil and i was hot pretty much all the race. I might have walked well over half of it not that i care too much. It was actually hurting to walk into that head wind i was barely 17 min miling. Also maybe suffering from lack of drink too as i perked up a bit when i got to a drinks station around 18 miles and had gotten bottle water from tail car guy. Might just have been down to turning out of the wind too. Managed to clock 5:53 so still not my slowest (i think). With no wind it would be flat(ish) damn sure there is more than 79 foot climb though.

Now for food (in oven) its er allegedly a family box of chicken piece from Iceland. It is NOT that 1.4 kg one though i might add, that one even too big for me, probably. I prob do proper writeup tomorrow.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith- well done for what sounds like a really tough race into that wind, and a bit hot for you too.
    I looked at the results and a few runners that started still not showing finish times so they have either DNF'd or they aren't recording any more finish times.

Couldn't you find some decent food?  ;)

Ian - I suppose it was too late to try the vinegar?

Big G - that's a great time and I'm sure without that hill at that point on the course it would have been closer to 1:40.
    Was it a nice race, would you do it again?

I'm sure you'll be well under 1:40 at Bridgwater.

Not like Worzel to be injured.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Thats a good improvement,starting to come back now,can see another good jump soon.
    Keith-When I was eating something after the race I was thinking of you as it was getting stronger all the time,the faster you were today the less the wind impacted as it got stronger all day,well done on grinding it out.
    Shades-I tried it but it was that strong it barely made an improvement.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, I would do it again. It’s a nice course. The first 2-3 miles or so are through a housing estate, but after that it’s quiet country roads, before returning back towards the finish and running through Frome itself. It’s a closed road, chip timed event too and so good value for that.  Medal and goody bag weren’t great but personally I’m not too bothered about that (medal was the same for 5k, 10k and Half). Bearing in mind it’s quite rural, there was decent support and marshals/organisers very friendly (Rotary Club I think). Worzel hadn’t done it before said he’d do it again too - his goody bag had more in it than mine so they most have ran out of stuff.

They did have some pacers and the fastest they had were two 1:40 pacers. One was 15secs inside and the other about 20secs over. I’d be interested to know if anyone ran with them the whole way - it’s quite a tough course to run consistently. I wasn’t purposefully running with them but they pulled away from me on the hills, and I did see a few who were running with them drop off. 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Shades, sorry you're feeling unwell and had to miss your race. That sucks. Hopefully it's one of those short-lived bugs.
    Ian, I feel your pain, after Liverpool. That's still an excellent time.
    Big G, that time is still good for a tough course in warm weather.
    It's easy to feel disappointed - I've had a bunch of disappointing races due to weather, but as you say, nothing we can do about that. My 10 miler next weekend looks likely to be tough, too, as it's 23-24 degrees. Not my favourite. It'll be warm tomorrow night too but at least I only have to run a mile!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I'll pencil it in for next year then as I feel I ought to do it having nearly got there this year.    I'm not that bothered about having a great medal, it's only a half after all and I think running on closed roads without thousands of runners and a good race atmosphere is a great seller for this race.   

Although Solway is on my list, if it's on the same weekend as the kids break up from school the drive up there might just put me off as it's a 6 hour drive on a clear road, we'll see.

Cal - 23/24 degrees should be OK for your 10 miler at the weekend, might even be cooler if the race starts earlier in the morning.   But you've got about 30 degrees tomorrow night for your miler B) that will be tough.

No run for me this morning, cancelled my Yogalates too.   I'm starting to feel a bit better, just a little 'delicate' now.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I just reread your comment abbot Worzel not being injured that often.  After the race we were sitting and a chap just asked us how we got on.  Worzel said he had to pull out of the Half and the chap said "Ouch, that's probably a few weeks off then isn't it?".  Worzel just laughed and said, "You're joking aren't you?".  He's got a race planned on Wednesday I think, at Haldon.

Feeling pretty tired this morning...yawning my head off!  I'm seeing a friend at the exquisite location of Exeter Service Station for breakfast!  She's travelling up from Cornwall on the way to Birmingham, so we're meeting there.  I need to take some stuff back to nearby Ikea so I'll do that and then all being well go and do a short run afterwards.

I'm not enjoying hearing about the "warm and humid" weather forecast on the news this morning :(  
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    The mile's tonight, Shades, so 25 degrees. Not looking forward to three hot days in a row, though, as it'll affect my sleep (and make my computer hot!) I'll be doing this week's runs as early as possible.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that's good it's tonight.  I hate this weather too, especially as the heat and humidity inside seems to build up and get worse the longer it goes on.
    Just been out and it's overcast but heavy and humid here too.

Big G - I just can't imagine Worzel moaning about an injury, he'd just get on with it.

Nice venue  for meeting your friend;) .   When I was working I had a couple of business meetings at Gordano Services which is one of the worst services I've ever been to, have never been back since.

Can I please have everyone's August marathons and ultras in the next couple of days.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, Gordano is where I broke down late last year on the way back from a marathon. I stop there mainly as they do KFC and not all the services do that :)  I agree though - it’s not the best, although I was grateful for somewhere warm to sit when I was waiting for the RAC that time. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - apart from it not being very nice at Gordano I avoid services where I have to come off onto roundabouts etc to get to the services, added delay and faff.   I never go to KFC so wouldn't have noticed that.  I prefer Sedgemoor or Michaelwood or Gloucester.

Gordano is a popular business meeting place.  If you go there mid week when you park up you see lots of salesman type checking out if you are the business contact they are due to meet, bit creepy really ;)
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Good luck for tonight.
    Legs arent feeling too bad today,probably because I didn't go full pelt,just got a strange niggle on the outer right of my calf,not had it before.
    Thought I'd look at my training for GC compared to now as that's when I've felt best this year,got my PB on the hardest course,and the miles are key,8 weeks before that I averaged 44 with 5x50 mile weeks in there,the last 8 I've done 33 with 2x50.I have 14 weeks until Frankfurt,11 if I decide to do chester so plenty of time to get some solid weeks in.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Went to see my friend and then on my way home I took a diversion to a local parkrun course I’ve not done for a long time (Parke). I parked about half a mile away, ran there, did the course and ran pack for a total of 4 miles. Enjoyed it and ran at an easy pace, but again very sweaty at the end!
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Ian / Big G - Nice races.
    Shades - Sorry it didn't go to plan.
    15 miles for me on Saturday and 5 on Sunday finishes off a 50 mile week.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Couldn't decide whether to go for a recovery run today but ended up getting out for 5 miles,felt ok once I got going and definitely don't feel as bad as I usually do,so hopefully a quicker recovery.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - your recovery is swifter each marathon you do.  The pain in your outer calf might just be due to the camber on the course, hopefully will go in a day or so.

I guess you've got a mileage plan now for Frankfurt / Chester.  :)

Steve - great mileage for your half marathon training.

Big G - best time of year to run that Parke course, I believe it's quite muddy in the winter.

Keith - how are you recovering?
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I was thinking the camber,as a few times when I was running on the edge it felt a bit steep.Yes plan is pretty much done,couple of easy weeks now then ramp it up again.
  • Options
    No comment :p Aka it hurts, amusingly i also managed to cramp up a quad last night god only knows how. All i did was swap legs over whilst stretched out on sofa, cat wasn't amsued when i moved back again sharpish. Did walk to and from work today. Probably be better tomorrow as i am still fairly tired
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Mile relays were fun as ever. Very warm but it's not so bad for a mile. I did a mile of warming up and then the race, where I did the third leg for my team (it's 3 peeps per team - mine was mixed). It was chip timed for the first time this year so I'll have to wait for the official results but Garmin made it 7:23 (which might come down slightly) which is a whole three seconds better than last year. I'll take it! The good news is achilles didn't give me any crap afterwards, unlike the Bridges Relay last month.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I get similar post race ache which I put down to the camber.   I've noticed the camber is usually more severe in areas of high rainfall, such as Connemara or Cumbria.

So what are your mileage totals going to be for Frankfurt training?

Keith - cramp in quad must be very painful, frightening the cat too. ;)    Is that injury/tendonitis that you had on the top of your foot healed now?

Cal - that's a great mile time, good to hear the achilles was OK.

6 miles for me today, very, very humid.  Misty in places with the finest of drizzle which was very welcome but still sauna like.   Not a great run, I feel fine but maybe not 100% yet for training.   Will go to Pilates today though.
    SHADES said:

Can I please have everyone's August marathons and ultras in the next couple of days.
    No response yet, Big G you must have a couple of marathons lined up for August?

• Options
    Shades - It wasn't that bad as lg was mostly straight anyway. Just weird. Cramp in bed in calf is relatively common but at any time in the quad is plain odd. It only ever hurts if there is significant downhill usually.
    Foot injury doesn't bother me now, te long spell off seems to have done well there albeit i am nowhere near back up to decent mileage yet. Something i better deal with other the next few weeks.
    You be marshalling one of my two next marathons actually Shades if i remember rightly. Doing Davey's double in August. Do not have any more marathon plans this year currently.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Well done,good to see you're improving still.
    Shades-It comes out as averaging 49 miles,that's based on running 5 times but I'm hoping a lot of weeks I can get a 6th in to increase the average over 50.It will give me 4 or 5 20 miles.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - that's good the foot injury finally healed.

Will see you at Davey's then, I'm running on Saturday and marshalling on Sunday

Ian - that sounds good.   That should be enough to give you the result you want at Frankfurt 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, have you got any shorter races lined up as well or are you basically happy with the speed and just need to get the miles in?  Best of luck with the plan.

Well done Cal. Great time there!  I’ve never done a proper mile race but I’d like to one day. 

Keith, I’m in for both Plym Trail days too. 

Shades, as well as the Plym Trail ones I’ve got one called Rocky Horror in Shrewsbury, which is my first marathon since injury. It’s on that 1k track and is on 11th August. 

Speaking of the Plym Trail ones, last year I did a 3k relay on the Friday (I ran really well and was pleased with my time), ran well on Saturday (first comfortable sub-4 on that course) but then had a disaster on the Sunday. Got around it but hated it from about the 4th mile!  I was wondering if it may have just been a bit too much with the hard 3k too on Friday evening....but if I want to complete the Club Champs I’ve got to do it again this year too!  I’m doing all 3 events again this year so I think I need to think harder about fuelling and everything else to try and make sure Sunday isn’t quite so crap. Maybe even slow down a bit on the Saturday too and if I’m over 4hrs, so be it. I do find that course quite challenging. 

Regardless I’m not bothered about fast times for the August ones. Sub-4 at the 1k track one would be nice, but really I’m just testing the shoulder for that distance and getting used to the distance again. The events I’m focussing on for a decent time (hopefully) are Berlin and then Loch Ness the week after. I am hoping to do reasonably well at City to Sea at the start of September in terms of comparing my time to previous years, but again it’s not a fast course - far from it as it’s my slowest ever marathon time ;) I suppose I’m hoping that my coast path training may help me do a good time, but if it’s a mud bath then it’s just trying to get around it without falling over!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I have a 10 miler on August 11th,then HM 4 weeks later,that takes me to 7 weeks out,only other race I have planned is the fast 5k again.My speed indicates well under my full time at the minute so more mileage looks the biggest improvement,but hopefully the other times will improve anyway.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Keith, I admit I've never heard of someone cramping their quad.
    Shades, well done for getting out there. It might not have felt like a good run but you have been poorly.

I now have an official mile time of 7:20. I'm quite pleased with that given I've done zero speed work. If I made a concerted effort to do that I reckon I'd get it below 7, but I can't really focus on two goals at once (or chase two rabbits, as Kipchoge puts it).

10 miles steady this morning. Humid and quite warm even when I went out at 5:30. Averaged 9:54 for this. I wasn't pushing it - this was my winter route which is around roads/pavements with Tooting Common at the end, and I seem to run a bit faster on it versus going straight up to the common.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Cal - Nice mile time! Agreed, completely different training for a mile compared to marathons, so wise to focus on one rabbit!
    Ian - That plan sounds good, agree that you don't need to worry about the speed, you have that, just need to hold your marathon pace.
    10 miles with 40 minutes at LT pace today. 40 minutes averaged 6:22 pace, so happy with that, best I've averaged over that time.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sounds a good plan there Ian.

Steve, great news on that 40mins LT session.  All bodes well for your next event!

Similarly to Cal, I also did 10-miles at a steady pace this morning, albeit later than Cal (9am start).  Very humid again but I was pleased with the run.  There were sections where there was a cooling breeze, but it was very hazy over the sea in that I couldn't see the neighbouring town (Brixham) at all, whereas usually it's in plain sight.  A goo start to the week though with 14 miles in the two days following Sunday's Half.

Not sure of the plan really for this week.  It'll depend on how I'm feeling but I have the 10k race on Thursday evening.  All being well I'll get up to about 50 again, but I'm not planning a long run this week as I did feel quite tired after last week's long run.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Big G - thanks for your August races, on the list.

Re your Plym Trail double, if I remember correctly day 2 last year was very wet and windy so not great weather for the 2nd race of a double and weather like that would only make you more miserable if you were having a bad day.  I do remember you looking really fed up during the race :(
    I don't think a 3k relay on Friday would have any impact with how you run at the weekend, unless you were doing more fast speedy stuff which you aren't.
    I agree you do need to look at your fuelling, especially for day 2.   Plenty of carbs pre race and you should look at up to 60g an hour during the race.   Was this the day last year you were scoffing Davey's snacks at the station?  If so then you do need to eat more and more frequently.   I'll try and find out where I'm marshalling, if it's at one of the drink stations you can give me some of your food/fuel to save you carrying it.
    Slowing down on the Saturday to say over 4 hours won't give you an easier run on the Sunday.   I think you're being far too cautious.   You should be looking to run within 10 minutes of what you would do a one off marathon on day one, so say 3:40 and aim for 3:50 on Sunday.   But you need to see how your comeback race is first before deciding on pace.

Ian - yes, you're right, it's the miles and long runs that you need.

Cal - that's brilliant, another 3 seconds off.

Pilates was good, usual instructor not there and we had the one that is super fit and has the most amazing 6 pack, she is so fit.   But normally her 'easy' wrecks us but today we used the small resistance bands and it was a good and most enjoyable class.  But she worked us hard, glutes were like I'd been kicked at the end of the class.