Options

Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    alehouse
    very precise gradation of speedwork plan - pity the rain intervened after the hard work!
    Lots of puddles/lakes around this morning!!

Mick
    the elite runners are the froth on the top of the cappuccino of joe public - if the weren't there the TV cameras etc wouldn't be there either so they become a necessary adjunct to the event.
    Having said that paying £50+ entry for such an event is risible

Good to see the boys were back in town :)

Went out this morning after very heavy overnight rain had finally ceased leaving rivulets and streams all over the place so a bit of splodging went on.

Eking my energy levels out as carefully as an electric car driver on empty looking for a charging point I managed the 4 miles in 41:12 (10:15m/m) with avHR 125 and a max of 139 and without stopping!!

Not sure how much  more of this I can take.................. :/
  • Options
    Torque: Keep on keeping on is the only option :)

I had to be out early when it was torrential and windy but managed 5.33 miles it was slow but first time on the rolling hills.Av HR 135 a huge improvement.......
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Welshpoppy
    that was a good outing for you - pity about the soaking :)

well I kept on this morning as opposed to wrapping the duvet around me - same 4 miles in 40:23 (10:03m/m) with avHR 126 and a max of 141which took me back to where I was 6 weeks ago.
    Still hard work on a breezy, rainy, chilly and sunny morning variable in fact!

The trees which I said earlier in the week had hardly changed colour are now suddenly golden and with leaves billowing down on the wind as it bustles through them.

Just in time my new leave blower arrives this morning :)!
  • Options
    I feel like a bit of a free loader dropping in and not commenting on the many and various posts, although I’ve had a look through them. So pleased just to report that after a lay-off I’m back running. A steady 3 miler today with no obvious after effects. Best wishes to all.
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    John,
    It is good to see you are back to pounding the pavement. If you want to feel like a freeloader just wait until you are in your 70s and running as slow as me.

TS,
    New toy, just wait until I move into the new house.
    Very few races have cameras around so I for one would be happy without elites freeloading. The elite's only race in London recently was ok but if you believe all of the newspaper reports they are all on something.

WP,
    We're you singing in those Welsh hills?

Too busy at the new house and loading up boxes yesterday to run but got out today. It was an absolutely glorious morning to run the trails, a sparkling blue sky, red maple leaves providing a soft carpet with a mild breeze to keep the leaves fluttering down.
    I had to take it slow and carefully as I couldn't see the rocks and holes etc but 6k done and enjoyed.
    Fortunately, we did not unpack too much, so it is more of a question of getting all the boxes into the garage ready to be loaded up into the rented truck. We are moving all of the small, light stuff and the breakables ourselves, prior to the big move currently scheduled for the 20th.
    Mick

• Options
    Sorry Mick, I'm with Torque Steer on the Elites. Wonderful to watch - amazing to see just what the body can do. Watched the Men's and Women's race at London - amazed that Sarah Hall good get herself up to 2nd! It is wonderful that normally we are all included. Even when I did a PW at Berlin I will always remember the World record went that day and I was in that event. We are lucky - in other sports they only get to sit on the sideline and watch their heros.

I'm very happy to announce - Auckland moved to level one on Wednesday so I ran Cornwall Parkrun today - 28.23 AG 77.20% And for those who like statistics - theses are my kms - 5.25, 5.30, 5.29, 5.41, 5.55. Yes, I wanted to throw up on the last lap so had to back off nearly to a walk to come right again to finish. It is a big step-up trying to run when I mainly just walk these day.

We decided to go to Queenstown - in the South Island in November so I've entered the half so will need to do some more running in the next few weeks.
  • Options
    I am like NZC with elites i was running Amsterdam marathon 2007 which was a PW as well, but Haille was running in some new record I forget what but he was very friendly.I on the other hand left my shorts behind at home and went to expo to get a new pair not realising the different in sizes between UK and europe needless to say they were very tight and uncomfortable to run in!

Mick You know me I am always sing on those hills, good job no one can hear me  :)

Torque: A new gadget I hope you have lots of fun with it.Good run you are so consistant.

No run yesterday as HR spiked at 254 whilst walking to my run spot and would not come down so came back and rested.
    Today I am fine so a cold 6 degrees but 5.3 miles over the hills all done AV HR 143 and faster than Thursday.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Well done, NZC...now get some running in!

That sounds like a Garmin faulty reading, WP! Strange. 

TS: not being so technical as you I bought a new leaf rake. 

JB: take your comeback slowly, in more than one sense of the word!

Sounds like lots of progress with the house, Mick! Exciting times!

Thursday saw a gentle run with my M75 neighbour: on the roads for most, and even they were puddly; Friday was a short and laboured run in sun/rain/hail. Today was largely better: a very wet hour or so...during which my left glute and hamstring complained. I have been neglecting my stretches for the last two weeks since I have been back at work. Now sitting on a spiky ball. Also HR is slightly up for the effort, and has been all week since my flu jab last Saturday. I have a slight cold, although that may well be due to going back to working in a school. Probably won't quite make my 50k this week, but that's fine. More concerned that I may have to cut the speedwork back a little if things are going to continue to niggle.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    NZC,
    Lucky you getting in a Park Run and a good time with no running!!!
    I guess I am not the hero type, but I do admire local runners battling out for a gift certificate to a local running shop. They train hard with full-time jobs and put in some incredible times without the use of drugs. We could talk about elite sprinters and cyclists.

WP,
    That is incredibly high, did you check it with your finger? Could you feel it?

Alehouse,
    sun/rain/hail, nice and a brand new leaf rake to come home, it must be hard to contain yourself. Just for contrast, I ran in 23c and sun wearing a singlet and shorts and even felt too warm near the end. I shouldn't get too cocky as the cold is on its way. The house is coming on really well, floors are laid, plumbers are busy fitting all the taps etc. The rear deck is complete

I can see myself with my feet up watching the wildlife torment my dog.
    Just a little landscaping to do.

A pleasant 6.7k for me today, but back to the moving boxes.

Mick
  • Options
    Wow - Mick - you really do do grand! Looks great. Yes, I know how you feel, whenever there is a great performance these days everyone does think - "what drug are they on".

I think we are lucky we are distance runners as in most events they give out some sort of recognition for those all through the age-groups and most races over here have spot prizes - you just have to finish to be in.

Welsh Poppy - stay safe and well. I always have a song in my head too.

It's our son's dog's 3rd birthday today so I think we are going to the wild west coast - black sand and then maybe up into the hills. It will be a walk.
  • Options
    I meant to say, there was an attempt last night on Bill Bailie's 1hr track record that has stood for over 50 years - the young guy missed out by 400m! Bill did have some good pacers in his day like Peter Snell, Murray Halberg. I do have to add this young triathlete had to battle a wind - not great conditions but they had TV involved so I guess they had to go ahead with it.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    hello, all

Mick - love your house !  well done staying upright the other day, on the leaf-obscured trail . .     Years ago , I stayed in Sonning; I had to do a 20 mile run whilst there, as I was in marathon training - pretty sure I went through Marlow.   

alehouse - I remember the Byers race!  I hope the glutes/hamstring have eased.   

John - good to see you are running again

NZC - yes, a reasonable couple of pacemakers there :)   Good luck with the HM training . .

WP - you ok?  good to see you bounce back with the 5.3 . . . .    

6 miles for me today (10 min pace) - 2 laps of lake the other side of town, followed by some easy pedalling. Legs continue to feel stronger, but most encouraging was the fact that knee only minimally uncomfortable on the 30 min drive back. I was glad to get out, but a few weeks ago was having to stop halfway, as pain was too much. So, progress of sorts. No news re "orthopaedics" appointment yet.   
    A beautiful sunny, but cold (to begin with) morning. Long sleeves and gloves . . . .     

Dave
  • Options
    Sounds good, Birch! Hope there is no reaction1

Bright, sunny, cold although warm enough to take one of my long sleeved tops off part way through my run. Just the two thick long sleeved tops, tracksters, gloves. No hat! 

A pleasant 66 minutes, largely off road as the legs co-operated. Will have an easy day tomorrow though. Did more than I expected due to the weather. Brings up just under 49k for the week. Tempted to put my kit on later and take it over the 50!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    MIck
    house looking good - I can just picture you sitting there in your rocking chair bemoaning the state of the world :)
    Are those roof flues for wood burning stoves?

Dave
    good news on your progress  - both running and car driving wise.  Hope it continues

Welshpoppy
    that was definitely a spike reading on your HRM as was shown by your much improved run the next day

John
    good to see you back out - just ease that achilles back in gently!!

NZC
    wow - an actual parkrun!!  Well done and a very creditable AG result for you as well - so close to 80& already so no pressure :)
    I guess that was the NZ record he was attempting as Mo Farah had set a new world i hour record of 21,330 m back in September.  It's a long run on a track!!

alehouse
    cor - stripping off during a run!! Hardly seems worth it getting changed for 1k so stretch it out a bit and set a new benchmark?

Weather was lovely here too but alas yesterday afternoon, after having had a good play with my new leaf blower and two trips to the tip with very large rubble bags of leaves, I suddenly developed a harsh pain in my lower gum and in a couple of hours I was really in agony with a developing infection.  Ever tried to find a dentist on a Saturday evening - thought not!!
    Got some numbing solution from a late night chemist which didn't seem to do anything much and dosed up on paracetamol but sleep was little and much disturbed.  Pain has eased now but lower bum and jar still sore. Ironically I have a dentist appointment this Friday but given that he is working at only 50% capacity due to Covid I imagine he is not going to be able to fit me in before then.
    So no run day...........
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    that sounds grim, TS - hope you don't have to wait all week  . . . .     
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    Lower bum and jar, now I could make a comment about that. sudden pain in the teeth doesn't sound good.
    They are not flues but vents. Because of the extreme cold, attics are heavily insulated and have to be well vented to ensure no condensation forms. The temperature in the attic is typically the same as outside.

Alehouse,
    Bright and sunny, did you go south? 49k, I would take that.

Dave,
    You can run along the Thames for miles so it would not surprise me.

NZC,
    The smaller races all recognise the AGs but the large big international event that is held here does not. No freebees, a medal and a Tshirt are it and they are expensive overcrowded events.

Too busy to run today as I have a lot of boxes to move up into the garage and it is supposed to be a rest day. You don't realise how much stuff you have until you have to carry it upstairs.

Mick
  • Options
    Mick: I like your new home it is coming along at great speed.I like the verandah a great space for an outdoor gym if you lived in warmer climate:-)

Dave: That sounds like progress which is always good to read as been a long time. :)

Torque: Hope you can manage till Friday with Dental issue.I do hope you slept better?

NZC:Good luck with your half marathon training.

Yesterday another 5.3 mile run with lower HR all going well Achilles is a little tender so will watch that.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    WP,
    The outdoor gym would have a bit of a problem in the winter it would get buried in snow, the temperature would not be so much of a problem. It does look like your HR was a spike. I found the wrist HRM to be very unreliable on the early models. My new one seems much better but I only rely on it when I am on the bike.

A little cooler today, only 9c but still ok for shorts but I did succumb to a long sleeve tshirt but in the end, I didn't really need it. I decided on a mix of trail and cruising the neighbourhood. Lots of people out in groups, it is thanksgiving here, which is a big deal, lots of family gatherings, so I suspect families are ignoring the 6 people rule. 
    I ran very comfortably for 7.7k, even got cheered on by one family group whose toddler decided to race me and, of course, I let her win. Anyway, that what I told myself.
    Mick
  • Options
    All sounds good today, Mick. I went west yesterday...and today the weather went west: got another soaking even though I only ran for 25 minutes. After over an hour yesterday and Saturday the legs decided that they didn't really want to play today. I don't blame them. 8 degrees but felt cooler in the rain. Jacket, long sleeved top, tracksters, gloves. Hope the legs appreciate the easy day when I run tomorrow. 

Hope the teeth are soon sorted, TS. Actually quite a few 24 hour emergency dentists around here and had to use one, at a high cost, one weekend: not cheap and not a very good job, I recall.

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    NZC,
    I was browsing through my run database and came upon this run, you may recognise it. It had an eye watering start.

Alehose,
    Maybe you should invest in one of those scuba diving suits, probably minus the flippers though.
  • Options
    Mick
    haha - good typo spot :)
    Heaving boxes up and down stairs is hard work 
    Brrrrr - don't go into the loft in winter!!
    Good of you to let the little girl win - your competitive edge must be slipping - never give them an even break is my motto ;)

Welshpoppy
    good news on the comeback trail continuing

alehouse
    the time on feet does catch up doesn't it?

Fortunately I was spared an even more expensive dental trip as, when I rang up my dentist, they fitted me in yesterday morning. It appears it was "only" a gum infection which is being treated now with some antibiotics but it is still sore.

So back to a run this morning -0.35 miles to a junction with a Hash trail, 3.6 miles of down and up with 78m total climb and then the same 0.35 miles home all done in lovely early sunshine - the rain started just as I got back in!!

First time with  base layer on under a tee as it was only 5C even with sunshine but pleasant enough.  Kept mouth shut to limit cold air coming it!!!!
  • Options
    Mick: It is my HRM strap that spiked.I could forgive the wrist based one.

Torque:Glad you went for a run and hope the gum infection heals quickly for you!

No run yesterday I was tired and went back to bed after a bad night .But all good today 4.2 miles run early and Av Hr 135.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Glad that the dental issues are in hand, TS!

At eleven o'clock this morning it was bright sunshine, but unfortunately I was at work so couldn't take advantage; by 11:15 it was pouring, which persisted throughout my early afternoon run. 25 minutes warm up, 8 x 30 seconds uphill with one minute recovery, 15 minutes warm down. all off road. Waterproof jacket, long-sleeved top, tracksters, gloves and could have done with spikes in places! 
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Wonderful Manchester weather here so the first time this season in long pants and jacket.
    5k done on wet and slippery trails, shown up by a young woman in shorts and t-shirt, skipping around the puddles, ponytail bouncing and running at a pace I couldn't hold for 1km. Oh the joys of being old, at least we are still getting out there.

WP,
    That's disappointing and I was thinking that the modern chest straps were solid. All the runs I have had with my new watch and chest strap have given readings that have look corrected, no anomalies at all.

TS,
    Lofts here are hardly used as they are usually filled with insulation. Having a gravity feed water tank in the loft would not work well. You cannot have water pipes running in external walls either and the feed into the house has to be four feet underground.
    Canada has a huge supply of groundwater so most rural properties are on well water.
    Our new house has a well and septic system all deep underground.
    Modern house are so heavily insulated and air tight that it is now code to have HRV system. HRV - heat recovery ventilation, takes air from outside and heats it with the furnace exhaust before introducing into the house.

Mick
  • Options
    Mick: It is a new one only about 10 months old and only used past 3 months so I am disappointed especially as it spiked again this morning.Although this time just 189 when walking to my run spot but settled back down.It was very cold this morning so no idea if this is an issue with it.

Our local race Richard Burton 10k is virtual and for £15 a tee shirt and slate coaster and all proceeds go to local good causes.They are encouraging us to share link to get as many people entering as possible....

https://www.richardburton10k.co.uk/2020-virtual-runs

4.2 miles for me although the HRM issue and GPS was glitchy as measured it 0.20 short same route as yesterday and one from last week so I know the distance.Av Hr 142 for a slow run.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Mick
    ..and I imagine you have AC for the summer as well?

Welshpoppy
    dry weather used to upset my chest strap readings. I used to run it under the tap before putting it on - not so good in winter!!!
    My 235 HRM seems to make good contact on my wrist virtually all the time

10K is too far for me just now............

Lovely early morning here - woke up with jaw still having a throb and saw the quarter moon aligned with Venus in the sky as dawn broke on a clear sky.
    Grass frost but is soon warmed up and as I left my drive I was passed by a female runner who was going a just a tad above my normal start up pace.

Well you know what happened next - I struggled to keep pace with her up the 0.75 miles of hill hill then used my bulk to overtake as it levelled out. 
     Of course once in front I couldn't slow down so ended up running a bit faster than usual and ended up doing the 4 and a bit miles in 39:37 (9:50m/m) with avHR 128 and a max of 144

Bit disappointed that Garmin said I was only "maintaining aerobic training effect". 
     Pah - what do these machines know :)

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    wetting the contact area of the chest strap is a must if you want to avoid warm up anomalies with an HRM strap.
    AC is a given in a Canadian new house. The way the climate is changing in the UK, AC will soon become the norm there. It is also time to get rid of radiators and move to forced air and then AC and heating use the same system.
    If only our ability was on the same curve as our competitive spirit we would not have a problem but alas it is not so. At least you had another win even if you will pay for it later. According to Garmin, I am still 25, I wish they would tell my legs that.

It is a staggeringly beautiful day today and I want to go for a run. The weather is perfect and the autumn colours are still all a glow but I have to prepare for the big move. I need to rest my legs for more box carrying, at least, I can walk the dog.

Mick
  • Options
    Well raced, TS!

Hope you can find time away from the shifting of boxes for a run, Mick!

Yesterday was a short run, of necessity after the hill reps of Tuesday. Reasonable weather and was over-dressed: ran on the way home from work and wore what kit I had with me (tracksters and a particularly thick top). Today was bright and cool so about 50 minutes off road with my M75 friend. Not as wet underfoot as I had expected. Pleasant run putting the world to rights. Cross training in the garden shortly. 
  • Options
    Torque SteerTorque Steer ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Mick
    not this far north it won't!
    bad news when house moving gets in the way of running :/

alehouse
    and she didn't even know a race  was occurring :)
    Nice way to round off a days work and then getting to put the world to rights the next day.  You will have to  link up with Mick and his cronies and have a pan Atlantic conference!

lovely morning here as well but with leaves coming down thick and fast after a cold night.
    Legs felt, for me, quite spritely, and so I opened up just a little and ran the 4 miles in 38:15 (9:36m/m) with avHR 132 and a max of 147 when I pushed a bit on the last hill 

9:57  124  140
    9:15  130  138
    9:23  133  139
    9:37  140  147

Good to see them all starting with a 9 and not flagging too much on the last hill

Garmin said the run had an "Impacting"  training effect so that will show it!!
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Alehouse,
    Sounds like my kind of run.

TS,
    A strong run from you, shame it wasn't as fast or as long as my birthday run but you are getting closer.

Garmin decided I was getting younger after today's 7k at a comfortable cruise pace. It has me at 23!!

Tomorrow Is day one of the big move. I pick up a Budget rental to move all the small stuff with the main movers arriving on Tuesday to do the rest. The house is missing a few bits such as garage doors but we are going ahead.
    I need to buy a snowblower soon, as when we get into November we can get some heavy snow. This is seriously one up on a leaf blower TS, you will have to get your toy catalog out. I am also looking at a new ride on lawnmower but I need a lawn first. Not that we are competitive or anything, but old men need playthings.

Mick