Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    How did you get on @mace ?

muddy (and kevin ) , not great but i'm doing a (very) little. I have 2 pairs of new shoes so i will be getting out more and i must drop some timber  :o:blush:

muddy what's with the @ , is it some sort of functionality i'm not aware of ? should it drop a notification or something ?  I'm not particularly IT-savvy ... 

I did an on-line "masterclass for over-50's" thing yesterday. All free, and they told us how us over 50's shouldn't train so hard, should take more recovery time and do more strength training. Not exactly ground breaking revelations, so i pointed this out in the chat and promptly got removed  :) So i logged back in, kept my my mouth shut and waited for the punchline ... yep, sure as eggs is eggs it wasn't long coming .... not the normal $6,000, not even $3,000 .... but just $297 per year for access to an on-line community, advice blah blah blah. It wasn't long before i was chucked out again.
  • Options
    I may have borrowed the @ from Strava mace - think it's meant to alert you that you've been mentioned somehow.

I can certainly tell you for free that less is more and strength training is essential, and I don't think the threshold for that is 50  for any of our younger readers.

Rubbish week for me - started to feel tired out and viral so have had 3 rest days after my rest day. Son was off school ill last week so it's probably that rather than anything covid-y. Slept a lot - but seem to be in the clear now.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Hopefully the new days have sparked you off, Mace? I see loads of those type of things pop up on line. I'd probably be a spoiler like you were. 

Solid week so far, peaking with a 10k tempo t
    Yesterday at my 160bpm/mp effort.  

Conditions were good for once and it was meant to be 6m but I thought if sub 40 was on at 4m id extend. Went through 5k in 20.03 at right effort so just nudged the 2nd half  pace for 19.45 and a 39.48 gor just over 160 bpm. Nice to be able to run a sub 40 10k at a canter on the streets given how hard it once was to do that in a race.
  • Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    DT you are flying at the moment!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Mr v. Had a very strong 15m Sunday then 3 x 2m yesterday that didn't go so well. Felt really devoid of energy and power. Back to it this morning with an easy 10. 

Off to zante for a weeks all inclusive on Friday so the weights about to take a hammering! 
  • Options
    kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

DT hitting good mileage and form, enjoy your hols.

Have managed a few weeks of avg35 miles and happy with hr. Out tonight with eldest daughter for some miles as she has got the running bug.

Hope everyone is doing ok

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Some good consistency, Kevin. 

Where's skinny gone? I hope it's not an injury induced absence!!
  • Options
    Sorry mad busy at work - impressive sub 40 10k in training DT - other than that not much to report - couple of low mileage weeks due to irritating bronchial cough and busyness - 36 last week to get back on track but this week haven't run since Tuesday. 

Thanks for noticing I was missing though!
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    Yes, nice 10k DT

Good miles kevin

Pleasing to see you keeping it up skinny, I have a similar work busyness issue

Im taking the ‘ Just lace up and get out ‘ advice and lacing up and getting out. Nothing much, just 25-30 mins and some of it in the rain which is delightful 
  • Options
    Just managed 4,2+7,0,0,3,0,11 for a slightly disjointed 27 last week - still struggling with my cough so think I will bang the planned HM race this weekend on the head unless I feel better by Thursday.
  • Options
    Fingers crossed Skinny ... 35 miles for me last week, longest was 10 miles, averaging less than 7 min/mile,  loads of walking miles too. It's all getting very soggy now.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Good to hear you are ok, Skinny. 

Glad to see you getting out Mace.

Decent consistency, Kevin.

My week last week was similar to muddy. 35m and longest being 10. Pleased with that given I've been on hols since Friday morning.

Enjoy the complete over indulgence of holiday. First pool type holiday we've been on where kids are old enough to splash about on own so we actually get to relax. Oh and drink a lot. 2pm seems to be our start time but there are some savages going at poolside ftom 10am. 
  • Options
    So are you running in the mornings over there DT ?

Weights and cycling session for me yesterday, 6 undulating miles this morning and 4 miles planned for later. First double day in absolutely yonks.

• Options
    kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

Plodding away with miles here, hope the all inclusive is being over indulged DT :)

Plenty of variation Muddy with cross training.

Mace/Skinny any miles logged this week?

• Options
    Note to self: attempting anything fast after a 10 mile double day is never going to work.

7m at lunch time 6.30 min/mile average - 5k in the middle around 6.10 min/mile felt like a lot of effort and I was a bit lightheaded. Probably a fuelling issue after the previous day's exertions - 10 miles is my highest in a day outside of a long run and I would normally take the day off after a long run.
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    You've been a very naughty boy, muddy .... but well done  B)

Yes kevin, a bit. Since Sunday i've done 25, 28, 21, 0, 30 .... that's minutes !! Pretty much the same as last week.

So the new shoes are being used and i'm also on a healthy eating mission as my clothes are getting very uncomfortably tight 

I don't mind this sort of weather at all. Rain and cold is fine so long as the wind isn't too ferocious
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    DT19 said:

Enjoy the complete over indulgence of holiday. First pool type holiday we've been on where kids are old enough to splash about on own so we actually get to relax. Oh and drink a lot. 2pm seems to be our start time but there are some savages going at poolside ftom 10am. 

We haven't been abroad for a couple of years when we took our then 17 yr old twins and our youngest of 15.

They didn't need supervising but were still a bit stressful ie. don't like the food, bickering with eachother, arguing who's playing pool first and against who .... so we're looking forward to going on our own during school term time for the first time in 20+ years as soon as we can. Imagine a whole 2 weeks, in the sun, completely stress free. Ahhhhhhhhh !!
  • Options
    Keep it up mace. I've not encountered any cold so far - it's been wet and windy but strangely warm. Surprising considering the lack of sunlight. I managed an easy 6 miles yesterday lunchtime over mud still don't feel like doing 'fast'. I had a nice run over proper hills for 30 mins or so today.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Mace, I'm not suggesting it was easy by any means as, as you point out, the squabbling between them and the drama over no one liking anything at meal time was present. However, my life on holiday for 10 years now has been constantly chasing them about so it was nice to be able to relax at times. 

Some good running, Muddy. 

And some good plodding, Kevin.

I managed 3 runs on hols which was enough yo keep my hand in. 6m easy yesterday and 10 today. Got a bit of an issue in that I think I've pulled a muscle in my chest between ribs as last 10 days running it's been like running with a firm knee rammed in there, so whilst pace v hr is untouched I've at times been gagging for air and waking at night to breathe deep. I have a very sore spot on right side. 

Had a chat with Lewis about scaling the sessions back for a couple of weeks to let things settle and take account of fact I won't now be racing anytime soon. Targeting the Dorney lake mara now on Easter Saturday. 
  • Options
    I did my biggest week for a while with 44 miles + hiking last week. 11 miles for my long run in the wind and rain Sunday morning felt pretty straightforward at sub 7 pace.

Unlucky DT an intercostal strain is quite painful - but you should be able to go fairly easily after a few days resting. You'll feel it ... but you can run - unlikely to have any compensation strains with it too. It’s just sore.

Rubbish start to this week for me however - work got in the way of lunchtime running, so two zeroes recorded so far. Hopefully I can get a 10 on the board today and make it a session with fresh legs.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    It's been just over 2 weeks now which coincided with hols etc so yesterday has been the only occasion so far I've had to miss a session. It's feeling much better the last couple of days than it has so previously. 

I only managed 27 last week, but most was spent on hols. Spin this morning then 4m recovery pending which  will take me to 17 for week. 
  • Options

Nice miles Muddy, how did the session go?

DT, you have banked good miles and sessions over the past few weeks, good to relax and enjoy given the current climate.

Mace/Skinny any miles this week?

8,7 and out tonight for hopefully 8mls. not managed a session in a while, plenty of miles so hopefully i can get my head back into the right frame.

• Options
    Lots of miles already Kevin ! Session was decent thanks - I managed 8.5m averaging 6.19 min/mile. I remember when I was in shape enough to run a 1.17 half and that sort of session would be peak time hardship. It felt pretty easy today though - but I was doing it off 2 days of rest.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

That's pretty decent going, Muddy. There'll be all sorts of mad results when people can race properly again!

I've an easy 6m later today, so a fairly light day compared to the last 3 where I have been throwing in a spin class as well just to get them in before closure. I can understand how some people can get really down with all this stuff. I don't suffer with mental health issues but found myself feeling almost teary leaving the spin studio yesterday. We've a number of friends who go who live alone and the gym is their social life etc, plus they wont have the kit at home to carry on or their training is solely group classes.

My gym stuff is more to just supplement my running which is my main focus and that obviously can continue unhindered. I'll miss a spin class but I also have the bike still set up on the turbo.

• Options
    DT19 said:

I don't suffer with mental health issues but found myself feeling almost teary leaving the spin studio yesterday.

It's only a month DT - pretend it's an injury layoff. :smile: 

I'm not really running at moment - not sure if it's the busyness, the cough or the dark nights but just CBA - going to try and relaunch at the weekend.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Have a day off, Skinny....you surely don't believe this'll be a month?! I can't buy that given that this time last week he was still saying there'll be no lockdown. Looking at the charts from infection to death, it'll take a week for new infection numbers to even begin to reduce and 4 weeks to death so at the point this ends the daily death figure will be 1k plus and rising. You can't have those numbers and send everyone back to the pubs and gyms!!

Off out for a bit of a tempo over lunch, will sit a bit easier than usual just to see how chest manages, then maybe push it along second half if good. 
  • Options
    muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    I've noticed a slowing of the urge to run with dark mornings and dark nights Skinny. I've got to get out at lunchtimes, or it's a struggle. Also back at work full time ...

I did around 40 miles last week ... not much hiking. Got off to a decent start this week with a 5m lunchtime run yesterday and 4m early morning today in the bag and a lunch run planned.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I've so far avoided the need to run in the dark, being at home all day. Hoping I can get through this winter at home before they get us all back into offices.

Tempo was ok Friday, 6.38 for a very low 149 hr. 14M sunday then for 45 for the week.

Very similar week planned this week.

Session yesterday in pretty perfect conditions. Was 7 x 1k off 1 min, then 3 mins at end before a pretty flat out k so 8 reps in total. All the 7 reps were pretty controlled coming in between 3.42 and 3.45. Probably should look at moving these on to 3.40 pace and below as the effort is getting less full on interval to more controlled and cruisey. Though no need to Bury myself right now. The last rep then came out at 3.29. 

Off for an easy 7 over lunch. Have entered the Dorney lake mara for Easter Saturday.

Also now got my weight right down to where it was in March. Was 10,12 this morning, just a stone lighter than early July!! With the whole pub/restaurant sector closed for at least 3 more weeks and no other party opportunity such as a friends house, it'll probably naturally creep down a bit lower.

• Options
    Those numbers mean nothing to me - when did we suddenly switch to min/km DT ? (with a wink to a lurking [hopefully] Pete!) 

Anyway it reads like a good workout ! With some wind swirling the leaves around and in my knackered old trainers, I did 7m @ 6.26 min/mile at lunchtime. So that's 20 so far for his week. It would be nice to get beyond 45 miles as the MK Winter Half is coming up for me in a month. Have to say, sub 6 min/mile feels like hard, hard work at the moment. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I just thought as it was 1k reps I post the rep time. 3.44k is 6mm pace dead so my reps were between 5.57 and 6.02 and the final rep was at 5.37mm. Hopefully that assists? 

Are you still looking at a December race? I'm sort of at peace with the fact I won't race again this year. 

7m easy but hilly over lunch so circa 20 for me also so far.