Options

1000 miles in 2023

Comments

• Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    Week off last week resting what must have been a slight calf strain which caused the shin pain.
    I thought after a weeks rest the legs would be fresh, alas anything but 🤨

YTD 559 miles
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    MrC...That's my experience as well; legs just don't play by the rules!!
    Saying that, I'm not giving mine much rest this week. Testing them on a higher mileage for a few days. So, a 10mile run last evening, and an 8 mile route this morning.
    (Hope to make it a double-day and run shorter this evening.)

YTD: 819' .

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Tell me about it! I have a persistently tight right calf and my left hip's janky (this is in addition to the variable niggling of my right groin and ham tendon). Should be taken out back and shot.

Progressive 6 today (well progressive 5 plus a cool down mile)...might've been more sensible to keep it easy but I have a mile relay race in two weeks so trying to get my legs working again.

YTD: 833
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Double run day yesterday after Physio visit in the morning (she didn't say "don't run").
    Nice lunchtime on the coast path with a few nice chats to make me feel good, then club run in the evening, nice mix of road & trail.
    Parkrun practice set up for Saturday, it'll be fine.
    491 mile YTD
    43,845ft elevation
  • Options
    Cal, I will take that as a good reference about travel only given I have been married for over 44 years lol.

12/07 - 6.23
    13/07 - 8.24
    (14.47)

YTD = 1163.79 miles
  • Options
    Dear all,

Going to use this thread to plug our club race on 10 December - for the newcomers, it is called Dawn To Dusk.

Particularly suited to anyone wanting to run what they can just before Christmas - 10km, 22km, Marathon, Ultra and Relay Ultra.

Dirt cheap as you get medal, Tshirt and Samosas at the feeding station - chip timed with split times per lap.

Full details at the registration link below.

https://www.evententry.co.uk/sikhs-in-the-city-dawn-to-dusk-marathon-ultra-2023 

We are pleased to announce that our 2023 Dawn To Dusk (D2D) races will be on Sunday 10 December at the usual location (car park of Teresa Gavin House, Southend Rd, Woodford, Woodford Green IG8 8FA) and still have the Team Relay Ultra which is a fixed distance of 50km (25 laps). Our friendly event is a friendly race because we expect everyone to observe a be nice strict etiquette and be subject to our Zero Tolerance Policy..

We will hold our (good value for money) prices for this year and 2024 at the still completive prices of £39 for the longer distances and £19 for the 10km. The Team Relay Ultra (for up to FIVE runners - only team captain should enter) will be £95 in keeping with the fee of the individual 10km.

This race will be under the relevant COVID restrictions applicable at the time including your honesty in declaring that you are not affected at the time of applying - if you do have to pull out for any reason, in accordance with our No Refund or Transfers Policy we will offer you a deferred place at our next similar event such as the Fauja Singh Birthday Challenge (end of March 2024) or the Summer Samosa Ultra in June 2024 only.

We hope to welcome back as many of our loyal regulars as possible, while also encouraging first timers to give us a try. To clear all previous deferrals the number of entries are limited to 280 for the D2D races and 95 for the 10km. Entries close on midnight Saturday 4 November 2023. (375 in total for both races). There will be a limit of 20 Team entries to ensure that the safe limit of runners on the course is maintained.

Those of you who have taken part in the (D2D) event will already know but for the first timers here is a summary:

• The route is an undulating but wheelchair friendly and mostly on good tarmac surface.
    • The D2D races start at 8:04 am. This includes the Team Relay Ultra.
    • The 10km race starts at 11:00 am - NO EARLY STARTERS.
    • When you complete 11 laps of a certified 2.014 Km course you will receive a 22km medal.
    • Complete 21 laps to receive a Marathon medal.
    • Complete at least 25 laps and you will have earned an Ultra medal.
    • You can run until 3:54pm.
    • Chip timed so you can see how you did each lap later as well as on the big electronic board as you pass the Start/Finish.

Rewards include a unique/bespoke race medal and event T-shirt.

There is a bag drop, loos and a feeding station at the Start/Finish of each lap serving usual drinks, savouries, biscuits, chocolates, fruit, tea/coffee and samosa/onion bhaji! A separate table for personal drinks too.

• The event has all the usual support of paramedics, marshals and is fully insured.
    • The course is certified for distance and the Marathon/Ultra will count towards your 100 Marathon Club total.
    • There is also free parking along the route but we ask if you can park at least 100m away from the start/finish next to the Mulalley & Co car park (GPS reference IG8 8FA).
    • Volunteering is free so if you or your supporters wish to help please email us at info@sikhsinthecity.org
  • Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    Harmander sounds like a great event you have there. Unfortunately a bit too far for me.
    14 easy miles @ 9.25 pace today in the pouring rain!

YTD 573 miles.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I wish that was my easy pace, MrC.
    Harmander, I guess the laps are a bit over a mile? Sounds like a great event but not one for me (I am not a fan of laps).
    4 miles today - wasn't sure if I should go out as my calf is still tight but it didn't explode so I guess I can do parkrun tomorrow.

YTD: 837
  • Options
    Thanks for your kind words MrC.
    Cal, these laps are different - they are hard - lol
    Only two runners have broken 3 hours (by less than 10 seconds) for the marathon.

Another 10.24 miles today in the lovely rain - the lady I am training wears a hijab which was getting heavier with each mile.

YTD = 1174.03 miles
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    You're not really selling it to me, Harmander. :lol:
    There were quite a few ladies in hijabs and tunics at the Asics 10K - one even had the long robe thing and veil with just her eyes showing. She must have been so hot. Props to those girls for getting out and running in all that.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Henlow Bridge Lakes parkrun today - a two and two third lap trail course around a fishing lake by a caravan park. Actually quite nice. Was running just over 9 minute pace but ran out of gas on the last mile - neither legs nor CV system able to cope, so guess I'm not recovered from the ultra yet. 29:03.
    Harmander, I ran into an acquaintance of yours - the Terminator from Hitchen, apparently. Said he did Toronto with you.

YTD: 840
  • Options
    Another 8.34 miles including parkrun (paced for 34 minutes - did 33:58).

TYD = 1182.37 miles

Cal, yes I know him and he ran Toronto a few times with me - met him at Ealing Half marathon many years ago and he was trying to impress the SITC team of his target of attempting 12 half marathons in a year - we all smiled and encouraged him. Nice enough bloke though.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well he did say he works 7 days a week in his shop so doesn't have a lot of time to train. From that perspective, 12 halves is a good target. (Nice pacing but you are something of an expert at that, eh?)
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    10 miles today - longest run since the ultra. Felt decent so pushed the pace a little and was rewarded with an angry right ham tendon. Yay.

YTD: 850
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Not been able to access RW Forums for a few days. (Internet connection is via a BT Hot Spot) But pleased to have it working today.
    Set myself the challenge to run my age, in miles, this week. (Birthday was in May but haven't had a clear week until now!)
    So the daily miles (Mon-Sun) were 10, 10, 15 (8+7), 11, 14 (5+9), 10 and 9.
    It has been a very windy week with quite a lot of rain, so not too easy to fit in the runs
    Now I need to get down to some serious speed-work! (Did I say that before?!)

YTD: 870'
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done MrM2! With you on the speed work. Do you have any plans for a marathon this Autumn?
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Mr MM: running your age in a week is a lovely idea. I'm someway short every week! 

Harmander: you asked about my trainers. They're asics nimbus and the current pair feels a bit narrow. I sense they're relaxing a little, and these are probably the 5th or 6tg identical pair I've had, but I'm still unsure about this current one. 

Funny week. My back has been an issue all week. The discomfort is at the top of the hip into the small of the back, although steady improvement as the week moved on. 5.2 on Thurs, parkrun yesterday (23.45) and 5.2 in drizzle tonight. 

Ytd:668.9 (July 33.8)
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Harmander, that sounds fantastic, just like my kind of event (you need to add hills & mud)...a bit far for me to come down but hope it all goes well.

Parkrun practice went really well so we're good to go live Saturday coming....can't pretend that I'm not a little bit scared but we didn't have any big dramas in the practice a couple of little teaks to do.

Sunday I got out for a no time pressure bit of coast path, so 11 miles and over 2000ft later a nice cold beer hit the spot.

506 miles YTD
    46,873 ft elevation
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Thanks Cal.. No marathons planned but would love to run another one soon.
    For the first time in over two years I feel that my running is almost reliable. So, I would hope to build up to some longer runs, and generally not be too far off 'marathon-ready'.
    (Saw that you were 'injured' again. With all the gym work that you are including each week I thought you would have 'injury-proofed' yourself.)

Hobie... Good news about the parkrun preps... Congrats on passing 500'.
  • Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    Looks like everyone is reasonably fit again and putting in some good mileage.

7 miles today with a 5 mile tempo in between.

YTD 588 miles.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Yesterday was a rest day but was happy to run 8 miles in Poole Park today in great weather!
    YTD: 878' .
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Back ache, working to much, gardening and watching cricket all impacting a bit on my running. 

Out Mon and Tuesday for 5.2 and 7.3. I love just going for a run but with various demands and with an eye to the October Yorkshire marathon think I'll have to be a bit smarter. 

Ytd: 681.4 (July 46.3)
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Not so much, MrC. My ham tendon has flared up a lot and after 4 days off and a physio appointment yesterday, I thought I'd give it a go today but 2 miles was enough to tell me it's not ready. 

YTD: 852
  • Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    Oh dear Cal looks like I cursed you 😐 probably needs a bit longer off, runners  are always too keen to get back asap from injury, I’m just as guilty as any one.

16 mile easy run today.

YTD 609 miles

BTW I have been seeing if at the end of my shower a couple of minutes of cold water over the legs aids recovery, not 100% convinced but I think there may be something in it or maybe it’s just the placebo effect 😊.
    Anybody else go for the cryotherapy for recovery?
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Friday run club tonight, easy 4ish miles...needed that to get away from parkrun messages and planning....No 1 is good to go tomorrow, and its going to rain. Wish me well.

Anyone fancy a trip to West Wales for a parkrun, you'll be very welcome. 

519 miles YTD 
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Here we go...weather is mostly moist so not ideal but after 4 years to get this going, a bit of rain isn't stopping us.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Hobie... Huge Congrats on your first parkrun! Great achievement. And I see that you had 78 on the results page! (Chipping Norton had 72) And a good number were genuine 'first-timers' at any parkrun. Hope you've got a good team to assist.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Managed 7 dry miles yesterday. Resting today but hope to run tomorrow.

YTD: 885' .
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    MrM2, thanks...yeah we've got a fantastic group of volunteers...it rained hard all morning but not cold & lots of smiles.
    Got out myself for a 5 mile loop, felt hard...then I remembered I gave blood on Thurs evening. 
    524 miles YTD 

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Awesome, Hobie. You might've picked up from facebook that one of your volunteers (Ben O'Leary) is a clubmate of mine, although he's based in Wales now. 
    As for me, parkwalk today, so no running miles to add (and likely won't be for a few weeks). If I'm quiet, it's because of that, not because I've died or something.