Options

Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Nice k's NZD - and good discipline!  Yes, all six are regulars.

Good to hear of Mrs TS' progress, and of your easy outing TS.  

Mild here too, and a bit further than TS - 3 miles "recovery" run.

Wordle in four yesterday, yet to be done today.

Dave

• Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    TS: I have noticed the pace is improving and I can imagine just running with 14lbs of weight would be hard work indeed. I have another 16 pounds to go if I can manage it.

Great news with Mrs TS signed off with hip.Good luck with knee.It must be because of the excellent Florence duties you preformed. :)

Dave; Great work especially with creaky legs :)

Today was speed repeats so 15 minute warm up, 1 minute fast ,1 minute slow  x5 then 1 minute at challenging pace,1 minute slow x 4 and cool down. First set which had to be 9.30-10.05 pace I nailed but second set was 8.30 pace I managed one and that was last one. It was raining hard and windy and I don't use the same stretch of the rec I run laps of the rec doing whatever was needed.

Wordle in Four
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    edited March 14
    Alehouse,
    Really don't like the sound of your injury, you must take a great deal of care that it heals properly with a minimum amount of scar tissue.

WP,
    That's a lot of weight loss, even when I was sick I only lost 10lbs. I am one of those strange people whose weight never moves no matter what I do or eat.

TS, 
    People seem to do incredibly well after hip replacements so the wind is in her favour.

My toe infection seems to have gone away but my GP has me on anti-inflammatories. 
    I am feeling really well so doing my run/walks and rowing.

The above are the WHR profiles for two run/walks and two rows over 4k. Very different workouts, the rows get my muscles aching but the run/walks get me breathing harder.

Mick
  • Options
    Mick
    good to see you progressing  well.
    It's the shifting from sitting down rowing to standing up run/walk that does the HR :)

Dave
    I must be catching you up..... :)

WP
    that was a tough session that Garmin coughed up for you!

Which reminds me that Garmin gave me 8x40sec at 8:0m/m pace as today's suggestion -  I declined!!!
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    Mick: Great to hear you are feeling well.  Quite a steep rise in the WHR plots - clearly putting in a lot of effort.  Will be interesting to compare with similar plots in a couple of months time.
    TS:
     8x40sec at 8:0m/m wisely declined! 
    WP: 14 lb off in 8 weeks is quite rapid weight loss.  Perhaps more cautiously for the remaining 16?  Maintaining your target weight afterwards will likely be the biggest challenge!
    Dave: Nice 
    recovery run.  Hopefully the legs now a bit less creaky.
    Ale: Any clarification from your visit to the local
     physio yesterday?

Rest day here.  Unlike Mick's, my HR profile from yesterday was very flat (ignoring error spike at start, hill, and slightly higher over last km).  Not surprising I guess, as I was actively trying to hold it to 122 average (132 max uphill). According to Strava, 97.2% Zone 2; Suunto, 94% Zone 3!  Which one to believe?

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Good progress, Mick! Steady does it!

Saw the physio and he wants me to become a little more mobile and I am down to using just one crutch and need to try to walk the 500 metres into the village! Plus a few gentle strengthening exercises with the focus on the lower adductors. He is mystified as to how the tear happened, though. Will see what the consultant says in London next Thursday!

Wordle in four both yesterday and today.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    NZD
    unless you have an accurate baseline of RHR and MHR it all becomes a bit of a lottery!
    It will be interesting, if and when, I am ever able to do a max HR test again to see what it is - I have for many years relied upon 42 and 176 bpm but I suspect the latter will have gone down quite a bit over teh last few years!

Your HR profile still appears very spiky although that may depend upon the terrain covered - on roads etc I can normally keep mine fairly smooth.

yes - the 8x40 sec thing took me a bit by surprise - what did Garmin think I was doing during my time off?

alehouse
    don't forget, as I kept telling Mrs TS, it's not just the getting there as a target, it's getting back again :)!
    Do you have any bruising coming out or is it all sub-surface?

nasty spiteful rain this morning on a fresh wind as I chugged round 2.2 miles in 26 min smashing the 12m/m barrier :)
    HR still elevated at 131/142

Wordle in three
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited March 15
    Managed the 500 metres. And suitably refreshed, I managed the return journey also. After some gentle cross training in the garden.
    I note that a couple of Kiwis should be pleased with their parkruns. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    Hmm, 25:02.  A bit disappointing not to make sub-25. Botched the timing on my watch but thought I had scraped in. No excuses. Good running conditions.

Good to hear you are on the improve, Ale. 
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    Yes, another impressive performance by NZC at 81.35% AG.
    No chance of me sweeping the field
     by AG here at Millwater.  Only 8/351 today.  A few runners here well out of my league.
    TS: Another good 2m+ day.  Big step up on where you were a couple of months ago.  Yes, max HR unlikely to be
     176 bpm now.  The figure I use (172) is a bit of a guess, supported only by that being the max I hit in one of my parkruns some months back (typical max parkrunning being around 165 though).
    Re. spiky HR record.  Likely mainly from me frequently checking pace to keep HR near target.  Pace profile equally 'spikey"!  Much of the track is up & down like a yo-yo, plus affects of wind varying as track twists and turns.

• Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    Ran short on time so no LSR this morning, just the usual once around the estuary. Total yesterday 11.5 km including pre- & post-parkrun. 

Week total 41.3 km.  Similar number to Dave no doubt - just km instead of m :smile:(!?)
  • Options
    alehouse

aaahh .. so it wasn't just shopping that drove you on :)?

NZD
    2 sec - now that was a close one!!

You won't really get a maxHR from a parkrun as it's too long - the body has already adapted to the distance and pace.  It does need a sharper,high intensity set of intervals preferably with a hill involved!!

well it should have been Super Saturday sports wise yesterday but alas, no
    No Toon victory and then a win in the rugby against France away snatched at the death by another dodgy decision. Great game though full of running rugby I thought was dying out.

Not so much of me returning to my rugby running days as I had a pleasant plod in warm temperatures and light drizzle this morning  - 2.51 miles in 30:30 with HR 128/137 as I strove to keep HR down over the 150' of climb - and failing :)

Wordle in three yesterday and today
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    I competed today!   

North Lincs 10k.  Rain between light and heavy all the way. Mainly rural flat roads - some with puddles over top of shoelaces  . . .      

Going on my most recent parkrun, back in January, of 24.23, but with a very lacklustre session 10 days ago, plus a few lbs of extra timber gained since Christmas, I thought a good day would be 50 ish mins, but that a 51/52 more likely.
    So it proved - 51:05 for 5th in category out of just 15 (I'm at the far end of the 65-69 cat).  Halfway in around 25, so a minute or so slower 2nd half. Main thing is hamstring behaved after the DNF back in Sept, so I'll take that.  AgeGrade an agonising 69.60 . . . 

Alehouse soon  . . . .   

Dave
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Dave well done on your race.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    Yes, well done Dave. In fact excellent effort in those conditions. 
  • Options
    Dave
    good outing!!
    Soaked shoes must have added at least 1 sec/km with the extra weight :)

Looks like you and I are sharing out WP lost weight around us as I ventured onto the scales this morning and found I had exceeded even the previous limits when Mick described me as the "oldest, heaviest  runner" he had ever heard of :)
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    TS: BTW, nice gradual extension of efforts. And well done on keeping HR to 137 max on the 150 ' climb.

Have been tempted to do the 3x max effort uphill test for max HR but probably wise to check with my cardiologist first. Not certain I would get his OK though 😐. Despite telling me to "go for it" parkrun-wise, he pulled the plug at 150 - 155 bpm with no abnormalities noted in the two stressed ECG's he did (5 yrs apart). Seemed to be as far as he was prepared to go despite me saying l regularly got above that HR & level of effort in parkruns. Suspect it's more a liability concern! 
  • Options
    NZD
    so you can have a heart attack at parkrun but not on his premises :)?

If he doesn't know what your MHR is how can he determine "safe" limits?

Yup - a whole 0.25 mile extension - but well observed.

Pressed for time this morning so only a brief 1.75 miles at 11:30m/m pace with HR127/137 - it felt enough however!

warm and sunny however

Slightly amusing tale from yesterday's perambulation with Mrs TS on the extended 1.5 mile loop. part way roun dwe met an elderly lady, immaculately attired, and we said our hellos and nice day as we passed.

Saw her again on the latter part of the loop and she stopped for a chat. She was bemoaning the fact that she had been overtaken on her walk by a young couple and added "I will just have to get used to it as I am 93 next week" !!

Wordle in three
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    Yup, be nice to be still fit and active at 93 (and beyond)!  Never mind the young couple.

Estuary plus this morning, part fartlek: 12.5 km @ 6:02 ave with two blocks of 3x 300m - 400m efforts (~4:50 pace) in the first 5km.  Skipped Dave's 3x 800m block in the middle 🤣. HR 130/150 (137 max if efforts and hill excluded).  Come to think of it, hill was only 136 max (at suitably reduced pace), so just the efforts to exclude.  
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    Forgot to add my pic of the dawn sky at start of run this morning. E over the Orewa River mouth 

• Options
    NZD
    nice :)

I was reminded by Mrs TS later last night that we are going to the lake District today and I had better start packing!!

So I have and we are off now - towards the rain!!

Wordle in five
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Great photo,  NZD!

Look forward to your Lake District photos of the rain, etc, TS!

Not a lot to report apart from Wordle in five the last few days. 

Managed to mow the grass yesterday; leg managed quite well as the mower takes most of the weight.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Have a good break TS.  Nice anecdote re the 93 year old!  

Lovely pic, NZD.

Might have to wield the mower here soon, alehouse . . .  

Rest yesterday (race and alehouse taking a toll )  :)   
    4.5 miles this morning (overdressed in long sleeve top and gloves).  Legs stiff, quads sore.  

Dave
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Nine in the group this morning.
    5x800m,  4.5 miles with w/up & w/down. I took it steady towards the back (legs still recovering from race). Wet again . . .
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    Just once around estuary this morning - 8.3k @ 6:04.  Starting to get noticeably chillier some mornings.  Today ~8C according to Strava and felt it at the start. 
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Have a lovely trip TS.
    Lovely photo NZD
    Ground too wet for mowing just yet usually next month is starting date.
    Dave: Nice work shame it was wet.
    NZD We as we are starting to get warmer here 9 degrees.

Yesterday 6.5 miles easy  and day before PT with new assault bike to start and finish session wowser it wears you out.30 secs as fast as you can as it uses arms and legs then rest 30 secs x 2 you pray for the 30 secs to be over! I came off with jelly legs!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Interesting, WP I will read it on the train to London! Heading off for my "surgical opinion" which I am not greatly looking forward to!
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    edited March 21
    Ale: Fingers crossed for today. 
    WP: Have only very briefly scanned but does look interesting.  A lot of words though!  I doubt my body would be up to running a full marathon though (or one of your PT sessions).  The half was tough enough.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Sounds a tough session on the bike, WP!  

Hope the consultation is productive, alehouse.

Around 8c here too at 8:30am, NZD.  Back to gloves. 7 miles pretty slowly. Legs clearly not recovered yet - they'd had enough after 6 or so miles. I was always warned about recovery taking longer as one gets older;  I now see why  . . . .  

Dave