Options

sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

Comments

• Options
    Sorry for the mix up with your name Bikingbird, I must wear my glasses more often....
  • Options
    No worries, Jenks. That mistake's been made before - still makes me laugh!
  • Options
    heya!

has anybody received the latest marathon news? I'm a bit panicked that I haven't got mine. I don't have a number either! Were we sent that a while ago? I am thinking mine may b at the bottom of a drawer somewhere...

L
  • Options
    Linda

Got mine last week.....remember they have thousands to send out, it may take a bit of time. If in doubt give them a phone.
  • Options
    JuddermanJudderman ✭✭✭
    Linda
    I think i read somewhere that you should panic if you haven't received your Marathon News by the first week in April - it may be worth giving them a call though.
    The Marathon News contains your Registration Form which you need to submit to get your number.
    Good Luck
    Judder
  • Options
    Judder Michael
    Ta for that I will give them until Monday.
  • Options
    Is anyone intending to wear a cosutme during the FLM? I was going to run as my namesake, but after that "fathers for justice" stunt last year i'm affraid of bing shot by a marksman as I approach Buckingham Palace, what a bummer that would be if was nearing my PB? :-(
  • Options
    see my picture on the previous page - hopefully
    the rain will not wash if off as much
    this year ;-))

• Options
    I've just seen your costume, very good. Have you done any training runs in it?
  • Options
    you can measure how well you are perfoming in a marathon by the novalty costumes around you. I remember the Great South Run a few years ago when i had to sprint to the finish to beat a guy dressed in a rabbit outfit. Of course i won by a hares breath!

True story, honest.
  • Options
    Quick help panic!!

I've got my registration form with my running number and I know I'm at the red start but it doesn't say so on the form - how do I know is it on a covering letter.

Urgent Response please!
  • Options

from the number itself. From the official
    web site :

Numbers 33,251 to 59,000 will have a red number on a white background and will start from the Red Start which assembles inside Greenwich Park. Use Greenwich or Maze Hill stations.
  • Options
    Hi Natnif,

panic over it's in the Marathon News mag!

Thought I'd lost another bit of paper and started to rip the house apart and give the missus a b*llocking!

Great outfit by the way.
  • Options
    Dear All,

A quick debate with my cyber running pals:

The RW schedule said 22 miles this last Sunday - fine (I did 23). However they then give only one days rest before a speed session on Tuesday. Surely that isn't enough recovery time, I actually rested Tuesday as well and have done an interval session this morning and it took me a good 7/8 minutes to get my legs feeling normal due to Sunday's long run. My view is that the recovery time is as equally important as the training.
    Less recovery = over trained = more injury.

What do you reckon?
  • Options
    i agree, i have had 3 days off since my long run on Saturday and i was still a bit sluggish over 5 miles this afternoon.I am also worried about burn-out and increasing your chances of becoming exhausted and maybe catching flu or a fever just before our big day.
  • Options
    Natnif.... I can not get leave until the end of June... so I am hoping to cheer you all along from some screen or other here in Saudi.
    Had a great run in the Diplomatic Quarter earlier this eve.. proper lovely - 'felt like flying and do not care for how long style'. About as far from you lot at the mo as you could imagine!
    x
  • Options
    JuddermanJudderman ✭✭✭
    Higo
    i'm with Superm@n on this one - did 21 on Saturday, rested and ran again on Tuesday but couldn't face the speedwork - did an "easy" 6miles but my legs didn't feel like my own. Very tired yesterday, rested again and don't feel much like doing 9 tonight. Any thoughts? or am i taking this taper thing too seriously?
    Judder
  • Options
    Judder,

I ran 23 Sunday rested until Wednesday did a 40 minute speed session my legs felt heavy but I did it. I'm going to rest today and do 7.5 miles tommorrow and 13.1 on Sunday. So I'm with you and Superman. I think if I followed the RW schedule I would just be drained and overtrained and its no good feeling like that on the 17th!

Hopefully with the taper we will be fit and raring to go on the big day.
  • Options
    Hi all

I posted on here a long time ago but thought sub 4 was beyond me so changed to a few other forums but after running Kingston (16) in 2:14:20 followed by a further 4 miles in 34 mins I'm hoping/dreaming I might some how duck under the magical time of 3:59:59!!

I did about 24 miles last Sat much slower due to my legs feeling pretty sore after Kingston and finished in 4hrs dead, The temp was very hot and I'd decided after such a fast run 6 days before I should take it easier and just concentrate on spending the time on my feet! On Sun and Mon I felt much better than the previous week but I was still not ready to run again until Tuesday when I did a fast 5 miles shall do 9 tonight followed by 5 tomorrow and no more than 15 on Sunday! 22 has to be too much in my novice opinion! I hope I'm not tapering too early but want to feel rested on the day we've all been looking towards dor the last 4 months or more!! Non healing blisters are also becoming a problem!!!
  • Options
    It sounds as though you are all about on target with those 21 + mile runs. I also take the RW recovery periods with a pinch of salt. The RW schedules assume you are fit and relatively young. As you get older your body needs longer to recover from heavy exercise, especially when get past 40.

Take it easy from now, you won't feel any benifit form any speed work between now and FLM. I amm now abandoning the RW schedule and will just do up to 13 miles and probably nothing at all for the 3 or 4 days prior to the big day.

Good Luck
  • Options
    Hi there all

I agree with what you said about longer recovery times Higo. I took a week off after my big run (22 miles) last Thursday as my legs felt knackered and I generally just felt spent. However, was raring to go today and have just done 13.5 miles in 1hr 54mins which I'm really chuffed with. I'm following Jenk's lead as well now by abandoning the RW schedule and just ticking over until the 17th, with maybe a couple of ight speed sessions and one more 10 miler next week. I don't think that doing any more hard sessions now can actually have that much bearing on how I'm going to perform on the day.

Cheers

dazza
  • Options
    Dazza,

I'm going to do exactly the same. Well done on 13.5.
  • Options
    I think the RW schedule is a bit heavy from here on in....there really isn't any need for speedwork this close to the big day.

I did my 21 miles on Tuesday and look to do 8-10 mile tonight (not sure yet how my legs will stand up).

At this stage I would imagine rest will be just as important to runs.

• Options
    It seems we are in agreement, no more long runs of 13+ miles, ligher speed sessions and more rest...sounds good to me. In my experience i have had more injuries doing speed work than anything else, and since having a calf injury in December have always had a rest day between runs.

My schdule from now on is this,

Fri 1st, 10 miles (steady)
    Sun 3rd, 12.5 miles (slow)
    Tue 5th, 5 miles (intervals)
    Thur 7th, 7.5 miles (slow)
    Sunday 10th 7.5 miles (slow)
    Tuesday 12th 5 miles (steady)
    Saturday 16th 1 mile (slow)

Good luck everyone nearly there. :@)
  • Options
    Does anyone have any advice on diet before the day - I've been eating like a horse recently, but I guess I should cut down a little bit over the next week or so prior to getting stuck into the pasta in the week commencing the 10th?
  • Options
    I can't stop eating at the moment was hoping to go to the start a little trimmer but no chance the way I'm going since I started running I've lost nearly a stone as well as converting fat to muscle but since my last long run (Last Sat - 24 miles) I haven't stopped eating!! All I can think to do is eat as healthy as possible and am starting to eat more pasta than normal already!!!
  • Options
    Funnily enough my wife was commentiong on my increase in appetite over the last few weeks. I can't get enough to eat at the moment.

You will need to store up some carbs so I wouldn't decrease your intake too much.
  • Options
    Yipeeee

I have definately got a good case of the
    flu or summer cold or whatever. Thick head,
    achey limbs, sneezy and sunuffly all over. . .

I have plently of time to get over it before
    the 17th and the chances of getting anything
    else before the 17th are remote . . .

Playing a bit of havoc with my last two weeks
    schedule but having done a marathon a month
    ago I do not think I am too worried . . .

• Options
    Oh no! Everyone on here has been doing 22s and 23s - sh*t!

Just gone on to Mapminder and found that the actual distance i have been running turns out to be 19.5 miles not the 21 i thought. (Quite a bit uphill though)

Got 3 of these under my belt and at least 4 x 17.5 milers plus about 4 x 15 milers and 6 13/14 milers. Plus the usual weekly 4 runs of nothing less than an hour (6.5 miles)and some hill reps.

Will someone please tell me i have done enough to go under 4 hours, coz i am panicking (did 4.07 last year and no-where near as much running as this year)

Tell me what i want to hear or tell me the truth!!!!
  • Options
    SS1 - with those miles you should be fine if your pacing has been up to 4hr times.....it's not an absolute that peeps do 20+ mile runs - it's more about getting your legs and body conditioned to distances around this so the more you do the better that is........in fact anything over 18 miles usually hurts for me..........

but come FLM day, the event and the crowds will carry you through those last 6+ miles.......

like you my last FLM was 4:07 and I really want a sub-4 but I'll wait to see what the day brings.........