Options

Anyone else REALLY scared??!!

Comments

• Options
    I am so glad i posted this message. I was begining to think i am the only person doing this marathon who is finding it very tough and will be taking a long time to get round. Looks like we may well see a lot of each other near the back!!
  • Options
    Hi rebecca, I've very glad you posted this thread too!!
    I thought it was just me, but reading all the posts has really helped me get motivated again.
    Can I join you all plodding at the back please!? Zoe
  • Options
    They'll be plenty of us there! We'll just after let the faster ones get the drinks in for when we finish. Gosh its not long now!
  • Options
    Rebecca - It wil be my third marathon and i'm scared as well because I know how I've felt at the end on the previous two ( New York and London 2004) . There was a time when all of us did not know how the hell we were going to complete 26.2 and sometimes when I run now I still don't !
    Keep with your plan and take advantage of the huge wealth of advice on this website. Also I would recommend you sign up for a half that fits in with your plan. It will get you used to both the atmosphere and an idea of what the day itself will be like. Hopefully as well it will also give you some confidence.
    London Marathon is a great atmosphere from the expo where you regsiter to the day itself starting at Greenwich and all the way to the finish. Do the preperation and you'll be fine.
  • Options
    Rebecca, I am also doing my first marathon this year. I am very scared but very excited. I will be at the back I suspect becaquse if I do it in 5 hours I will be over the moon. You may see me on the course, I will be dressed in A PINK TUTU (Dont ask, long story!!!!!) However I know just how you are feeling so u go girl and show em what your made of. Good luck Rebecca. Sharon
  • Options
    Reading through all these comments with two thoughts running through my head!! One, a bit of jealousy as I didn't get into FLM again this year ): but also, with recognition of all the emotions and worries being mentioned because I've taken the plunge to do my first marathon in Stratford in early May, so I'm following RW FLM training plans like you guys.

You're worrying about running round in the company of thousands, being cheered on by huge, enthusiastic crowds. Meanwhile, I'll be in the company of about 1000 other (no doubt, significantly faster runners), trundling through the Warwickshire countryside to the accompaniment of sheep baa-ing and birds singing!! And the more I read about the crowds and pens at FLM (and having done 3 GNR's) I'm beginning to think that maybe missing out on FLM isn't such a bad thing after all!!!

Or maybe not?

Ask me in May!!

• Options
    Wow Sharon Lee I to will be dressed in PINK as a pink fairy!! Mine was a flippent remark to my mum in law (who sadly died in August) in front of my 3 children, elephants aren't the only things with long memories. At least I can get away with colour spraying my hair instead of using pink dye lol.

Stilldreaming good luck with the Stratford marathon. I'm hoping to do the GNR this year, is that hill as bad as it looks??

Take care everyone
  • Options
    My first too, and I've found myself scarily moved by 'Tom's' video. I have an injury at present, and am worried that missing a couple of weeks now will bugger my chances of running the marathon (even though I know it makes more sense to get it right now by taking the time and make up the training later!!)

I've made some key decisions already - booked onto an organised tour to sort transport to and from and overnight accommodation; I will be wearing a vest with my (real)name on in BIG letters - it must be a huge boost to have people addressing you by name to cheer you on; and (key) to enjoy the whole thing!

I wish you all the very best in training and luck on the day!
  • Options
    Putting your name on your shirt is an absolute must. When the going gets tough the crowd shout out your name and get you going again. At 20 miles it can make all the difference.
  • Options
    I'm told jelly babies help too.
    Mmmmmmmm jelly babies!!
    Stop worrying you lot, we'll be fine!
  • Options
    wow i just watched that video on google, amazing!!!
    Hi everyone,
    I too am doing my first marathon this year and only started running on boxing day!
    Did 6 miles outside on saturday, hoping to do 8 this week :)
    Cardiff staggerer - well said, we should all stop worrying! dont worry about your time, just enjoy the day!

starburst i've found to be magical in my long(ish) runs!

are any of your running for charity? check out my page
    www.justgiving.com/sarahdarby
  • Options
    I managed to get a club place, but I might try to raise some money for the Heart Foundation anyway - I work for the NHS, and my dad just had more surgery, so it's an easy choice!
  • Options
    I've seen the vid too. We're hardly going to be plodding along on our own at the back are we! It's packed!
    I thought the finish line looked abit disappointing but I suppose we'll feel on top of the world by that stage (emotionally anyway!)
  • Options
    No the finish is fantastic! the video didn't do that bit justice really. You will be so knackered by the time you get there that it is the most magical place in the world! Be prepared for tears!
  • Options
    Agree with bobolink - get your name on your shirt in BIG letters!! You'll be amazed what a lift you get when total strangers shout your name! (especially around 20-23 miles when the going gets tough!)
    Agree with Rio - the finish itself is superb, although quiet support-wise as only so-called 'VIPs' are allowed in the stands, so you'll only meet friends etc in Horse Guards parade afterwards. But the bit just before the finish is fantastic. Atmosphere gradually builds along the embankment and you begin to realise you haven't got far to go. Turn at Big Ben (25 and a bit miles) then Birdcage walk is superb - one of the best supported areas and the pain is easing as you know you're nearly there..... Last turn at Buckingham Palace and then you see the famous finish you've seen so many times on TV (but from the other side of course!!).
    Ahhh - I know I'll be watching on TV this year wishing I was out there again!!!!
  • Options
    Hey there Rebecca,

I'm a little scared too, but very excited at the same time. This is my first marathon. I'm not fast (running about a 10 minute mile at present). I'm up to a 13 miler the weekends now and I'm probably averaging about 25 miles a week (is that good, I have no idea!!!). I plan on taking my time on marathon day and just enjoying it - I have my own pace and that's what I'm sticking with. Hope to see you there!!!
  • Options
    Hi Rebecca,

I've been reading all your comments. I, too, am scared but very excited at the same time. This is my first marathon and training is going well, but hard (and lonely sometimes). I'm up to 13 miles on my long Sunday runs now and am averaging about 23-25 miles per week (not sure if that is good or not). I am running for Whizz Kidz. I am planning on taking my time on the day. I am currently running about a 10 minute mile - I'm not fast, but that's my comfortable pace for my long runs and that's what I plan on doing on the day. Good luck with everything. xx
  • Options
    Hi Rebecca
    If this is your first Marathon i would suggest that you keep to your training, it will be hard at first but you will suddenly find that you can run further than you thought, in fact if you are building up your long runs and you get to the end of your road and feel like it, run round the block to add another half K. If you can get upto 20miles in training a couple of weeks before the FLM you will be fine.

Don't worry about your time, enjoy the day, the crowds are fantastic and you will not believe the difference of running with people cheering you on , compared with a lonely solitary run on a cold sunday morning. Are you running for a charity? My daughter works for Whizz Kidz and they have teams of cheerers who will look out for your running vest and give you a morale raising cheer, and i am sure that the other charities do the same.
    Good luck
    Nigel. FLM running number 11000
  • Options
    Rebecca you going to the Golden Bond Training event this weekend???
  • Options
    I did not get a place as i sent my form back too late. I am really disappointed.
  • Options
    What a shame, If there's any advice sheets I'll pick up extra and let you have them.
  • Options
    Be reassured - you're actually training! I live near the start and when I've been walking home after watching the start I actually WALK past people who are walking and only just got to the 1st mile marker. Some people are unbelievably unfit and unprepared (in fact I think it's dangerous, but that's another thread), so if you're doing 5-6 hours you really won't be last. Anyway, if you're reasonably fit you hsould be able to walk the whole thing in 8.5 hours so rest assured!
    It'll be my first too and as an ok club runner I'm aiming for 4 hours, but it scares me when people blithely say 'oh you'll smash that' as it really puts the pressure. So ALL first timers, even blokes aiming for 3 hours (I know a couple) are under pressure, but if you train you'll be fine. It's all in the mind!
  • Options
    Hi Rebecca,

Keep going you are doing really well!! I have a golden bond training weekend place and am not going to be able to make it, do you want to go along and be me? email me if you do!

Good Luck!!
  • Options
    Nice thread Rebecca and some great replies.

Its my first marathon and I was already bricking it. I'd got up to 10 miles on a Sunday but haven't been able to run for 3 weeks due to a knee injury. I am having physio treatment which is sorting out a problem I've had for a decade (since an ACL reconstruction). I'm hopong to get the okay to start running again tonight - fingers crossed.

Pleased to hear it can be walked in sub 9 hours, as I feel I will be starting my training again and I doubt I'll get to the magic 20 miler in training. At least my goals are more realistic now - just start!

So, I was scared before, now both more and less scared depending on the spin I put on it.

Anyone know of any '10 week training plans'?
  • Options
    Hi Rebecca,

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make the GB Training Day this weekend. I have a sick baby at home with a husband who is away so there is no way I can go now. You can have my place if you like - just let me know. (p.s. if you do go, let me know if I've missed out on any valuable info, etc). Thanks. Keep on running!!!

www.justgiving.com/cezanne
  • Options
    I'm so glad I read this to find someone else a bit demotivated!!! This is my first marathon and I'm totally unprepared. Every time I try to start training something bad happens - I had bronchitis for 5 weeks, managed one week of training, and then I tore a collateral ligament in my knee playing badminton. Going to look really well prepared when I turn up to this golden bond event tomorrow on my crutches!!!

Still, as it's for charity even if I have to hobble round and it takes all day, I'm still going to be there!!
  • Options
    I went on a training weekend with Trail Plus in the Forest of Dean (they advertised in RUnner's World a couple of months ago). Prior to that I had two paces; I ran or I didn't! That was it! I couldn't work out why the long runs didn't get easier when I kept training by running 2-3 times per week. This is what I learnt that weekend
    1. Train to suit you and NOT what some training plan says. You don't want to get injured by running 5 days a week when you're used to running 2 days a week.
    2. Run smarter - rather than the same pace same distance run all the time, do some speed work and some hills work to increase fitness.
    3. Run long - but NOT in terms of distance but time. Your heart doesn't know whether you've done 15 or 20 miles, it only know that you've been out for 1 hour or two or three. It is training your heart to stay out that matters. Your long run should be slower than the hills and speed work.
    4. Rest!

!
    I hope I'm not doing the course leaders an injustice - they were great - but this is what I brought out. I have been changing my usual training to suit this and I have found the hills and speed work have definitely improved my fitness and stamina - the long runs are easier than they were. I even have two or three different paces now. We must be realistic, we must do our training and NOT be negative!!!We will get around - I don't care HOW long it takes me as long as I get to the finish!!!
  • Options
    CS I am doing the Trailplus weekend next week. Cant wait
  • Options

Hey Becs!!

Try not to dwell too much on what's to come, but instead look back on how far you've come since starting off on this.

I ran the LM in 2004 and said never again...and then here I am on week 4 of my training havnig got a ballot position for this year. You have to believe everyone when they tell you that this is a truly magical day.

It's hard work, very very hard work but you, and all those that know you, will be so incredibly proud of what you've done that it makes every day of anxiety worth it. In 2004, I had never run before, ever, anywhere. I started training in the November before and I was very unfit. The training got me round, not quickly, but it did. The best possible piece of advice I can give you is this; trust in your training programme. I know it doesn't feel like you can do 26 miles right now but if you've passed your driving test, imagine how you felt after only a couple of lessons!!?? Would you have been happy taking your test that quickly?

One day at a time, then one week at a time, and then one Marathon at a time!!

All the very best to you, you'll do just fine.

:-)

Steve
  • Options
    If you're doing the trail plus course make sure you book the sports massage - absolute bliss!!!!