Options

Northern Ireland Running

Comments

• Options
    Bad run this morning... went out with a friend... aim was a tough 16KM with two 1.5KM hills... got to 6.5KM, coming up to the first hill... and mate pulled up real quick... looks like a pulled muscle. He's aiming for the Brussels 20K in 6 weeks so hopefully it isn't something serious.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your mate Sean maybe the injury will not be too bad sometimes you get these twinges and after a couple of days rest they disappear.
    15 miles this morning lovely weather but a cold breeze. Struggled a bit hope I feel better on Marathon day.
  • Options
    sluggish for me too today kenny, its the name of the game at this stage in teh training. did a gentle 13 today but felt not great, still i finished!!

why is there a constant breeze at the mo,

Chris, if you are lurking any chance of having a word with Angie to see what she can do??

checked the short range forecast for london, 16o, 5 mph breeze and sunny intervals, will be keeping everything crossed all week!!!
  • Options
    Yeah Kenny... just spoke to him and it still feels the same but he's hoping it'll go away in a few days with rest.

When is the marathon Kenny? Is it London or Belfast you are training for?

Presume you are for London Baldy?
  • Options
    Hello Sean, Kenny, Baldy and everyone else.

Good to hear you're all still out there training.

Sean - You're friend wiil probably be OK. Tell him to run very hold water over the injured area every hour. It'll soon subside.

Kenny - What's your total weekly milage? I'm averaging between 25 - 30.

Baldy - In our area its windy in nearly every direction.
  • Options
    Sean am a strange being, doin london adn belfast then whatever else pops up.

Seamus, didnt know you lived in Larne!!!!! tis the same along the North Down coast too.
  • Options
    HI hope you are all fit and well. I done my final long run before belfast another 20 miler.I struggled over the last 2 miles if i feel like that on marathon day i had it.

Got my race number in i an 1009.Are there many change to the course as i have not seen the new route yet.

Baldy all the best for London i will be watching out for you on tv with a hair style like yours you should be easy to spot.When i ran London in 2004 it rained.

kenny,seamus what will be the length off your runs for the next 2 weeks be.
  • Options
    Jim - I did my last long run of 15 miles last Friday.

This week I'll do about 25 miles in total - the longest run will be 10 miles - maybe next Saturday.

The next week - the week prior to the marathon I'll do a couple of very short runs - around 3-4 miles each.

Baldy - The best of luck in London. I'll be watching for you. I hope you do well and you will.
  • Options
    Sean I am doing Belfast on May Day two weeks to go.
    Jim over the next 2 weeks I will be doing speed work on the next 2 Tuesdays short stuff to try and get a bit of speed into the legs. 7 miles on Thursday, 13 next Sunday and about 3 mile the following Thursday. On the day before the marathon I do a couple of miles to get the legs loosen up for the big day.
    Seamus I have been doing about 40-45 miles for the last three weeks before that it was about 30-35.
    Good luck in London Baldy I'll be keeping a lookout for you.
  • Options
    Kenny - That's plenty of miles that you are doing. You are well prepared for Belfast.

I haven't done as much training this year. I've done that deliberately - the aim being to improve the time on the big day. It worked in Connemara albeit by 2 mins. I'm trying the same in Belfast. I hope to beat 4hrs 13 mins which was my Connemara time. I'll be going for 4 hrs - but I know in the last 6 miles I'll settle for less.
  • Options

Hello all

Training still not going very well - failed to complete last two long runs at about the 20 mile mark - just got too tired.....still, a bit of a rest before the Belfast mara and hopefully I can get round in anything around 4'00".

Angie unfortunately is reluctant to commit herself anymore than five days in advance - so no help there.....but whatever the weather we'll give it a go - all the same, don't fancy the loughside cycle path in the wind and rain at 20 miles.......

Che sera sera
  • Options
    I take it you are going for the full marathon Chris. I am hoping that this wind and rain dies down need to get a bit of heat in the air for marathon day.
    Seamus I have been doing my long runs a bit slower than last year as I have been training a group of girls for London. But yesterdays 15 miles I tried to go at about marathon pace and struggled. I have done 3 20's and 1 22 hoping that this will give me the strenght to keep going the last 6 miles. Tim will tell. Plenty of rest the next couple of weeks and hopefully come marathon day I'll be fresh.
  • Options

Kenny - I thought I might as well tackle the full mara - but it's funny how tough I've found the going this year compared to last.....perhaps it's because this time I know what's coming......

Know what you mean about getting some warmth in the air - last long run attempt was on Friday - lovely in the sun, but still cold when it got cloudy....14 days will make the difference.
  • Options
    Yes Chris your first marathon is always your best because you do not know what lies a head. Last year I struggled the last 4 miles. I looked at my watch and tried to calculate what time I would finish when I realised I wasn't going to beat my London time it was a struggle home. If it hadn't been for the bomb scare and the diversion I would have. Lets hope there is none of that carry on this year and with the new course hopefully there will be a few more supporters on the last few miles.
  • Options
    Hello all, Enchinecea seems to be working. Went out for 5.5 mile run on Saturday and felt great even outrun my hubby on the last mile. Ok he is just recovering from a chest infection but still made me feel good. Round the bridges looks on at this stage Kenny.
  • Options
    hey guys and LL

thanks for all the good wishes, with this much support i had better come out the other end!!!

gentle 5 miler tonight, off road adn damp. but at 8mm pace it was enjoyable.

400m reps tomorrow then its easy all the way.
  • Options
    HI all well done LL on your 5.5 miles i hope you stay fit and well.Kenny you have done at lot of miles for sure.I have done two 20s and two 18s but my weekly ave is only between 25 to 30.As always in a marathon its the last 6 miles hat count.Not once have i been able to speed up or even hold the same pace over these miles no matter how slow i start.

Must give a mention to a friend Alan who ran a 5 mile race in whitehead today and came home in a time of 37mins 20s well done mate.He said course was a bit hilly and not like the 3 lap idea.
  • Options
    Jeez Baldy... two marathons within a week of each other... you are either crazy or addicted... probably both! ;)

Seamus thanks for the injury advice for mate... it's still sore today... he's going to a physio this afternoon.

Ken, sounds like you have plenty of training in the tank... Belfast should be good. I really wanted Belfast to be my first marathon... but it is too soon for me this year and a bit too far off for next year... so will probably aim for Dublin in October.

LL... glad you are back on track!

I managed to get through a tough 17KM this lunchtime... the toughest route I've tackled with a couple of nasty long hills... legs felt like jelly for the last 7KM but still had a good time for me of 1:33. Only problem is I still need to find 4KM from somewhere over the next 5 weeks.

Keep running!
  • Options
    Hi everybody - I'm just in from a 5 mile training run. I did a PB of 38 mins 54 secs. I'm pleased with that as I'm doing less miles and trying to improve the quality.

I always hate going out do do a speed session of 5 miles as I know its going to be tough, but its all worth it when you come back.

The best of luck to everybody in your training.

Baldy - Take this week very easy and be careful not to get injured in any way.
  • Options
    Hello all,

Went out for my first real hill session today. Went well so happy with that. Did my long 7.5 on Saturday and had no bother at all, though a few aches and pains next day as i haven't really run that far before. Running great though so feels good.

Has anyone here run the Lisburn half before? I understand it is a very hilly one which is why i'm focusing on the hill sessions more so than speed (which i don't have much of anyway!) But any training recommendations for the half would be appreciated.
  • Options
    eilers its a great run, yes there is a fair bit of uphill, but just a s much down hill. training should be nothing out of the ordinary, keep to your norm, i put up a bit of a tect book week last week some time so have a wee look at it. its easy to adapt if you are building up, but make sure you build up gradually and practice the 10-12 mile runs in advance. there is no substitute for prcatice. i have done a few programs before for 1/2 maras so email if you are looking one tailored.

Seamus, dont do things the easy way you should know that, great 8x400m today at 78sec pace with 200m jog recoveries. Steady run tomorrow adn fri with a few strides and that will be it, fly early on sat.

Chris any news on the weekend weather yet? Still aint seen you on mon nights !!!!
  • Options
    Hey Baldy, thanks for the info. I'm basing my training on the beginners half marathon plan on the cool running site. Not sure if i can paste links in here but i'll give it a go

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/134.shtml

Looking at it though i only have 2 long runs of 10 and 12 mile beforehand. If u reckon this can be more customised to include longer runs please let me know and drop me a mail. I was sticking with the lowest milage given in order to avoid any injuries as i hadn't really done a whole lot of running prior to this (this year). Although i would have been circuit training, swim etc at least 3-4 times a week before the running started again.
  • Options
    Hello everybody - Does any of you do rowing as a cross training exercise?

Some people say that you need to do less running if you row for a couple of times a week.

I rowed for 5 minutes today and I was really exhausted at the end of it - I got up to 55 strokes at times and averaged 42 strokes per min for the session. I feel good now.
  • Options
    Seamus friend is rower, didnt do much for his running, 5.25 for mara???

eilers will dig something out and mail it over next few days.

took a day off today, last run now planned for tomorrow.

phantom aches adn sprains are arriving as is the ihavent run enuff can i do this ghost, rollon sunday
  • Options
    Hi Baldy - I always feel I'm taking a cold or have sore joints in the week before a marathon. You'll be alright. Have a great run in London.
  • Options
    Hello all

Done a speed session yesterday on running machine got myself up to 7.5 miles per hour wish I am happy about. Up to my eyes in dirt. Working flat out to get garden in order before I go back to work on Monday. Just wanted to wish you luck baldy for Sunday just incase I dont get back on the computer again until Monday. It will be wee buns to someone as fit as you. Good luck anyway, cant wait to hear the craic when you get back.
  • Options
    Good luck on Sunday Baldy.

Greetings from Warsaw! Managed a 9KM run this morning... sore head from too much wine the night before and too little sleep!
  • Options
    Hi everyone glad to hear that you are all putting the miles in. On holidays this week. Back sore from digging the veg patch. Way hehind with the garden as I have been training for the marathon. 7 miles tonight in sub 9 min mile pace found the going tough.
    Seamus any cross training is good but you still have to put in the miles for the running. After the marathon I am going to get back on the bike as I was running realy well last summer when I cycled to and from work once a week.
    Good luck on Sunday Baldy I hear that its going to be 17 degrees with light rain.
  • Options
    Seamas, you're going at it far too hard! You want to be stroking around 30 a minute with a 500m split of under 2 minutes giving a 2000m time of about 8 minutes. Have a look at concept2 website.