Options

helsby 4 villages half marathon 2007

Comments

• Options
    I'm in 294- same here Basil if only that was my position too!! one can dream!
  • Options
    Just realised I haven't sent my entry off... right *do it tonight for gods sake*...

Can't see Andy Normans name here, thank god... that means I'm one place higher lol... although all the big guns won't enter until Novemeber... theyr'e all weighing eachother up lol

Pug
  • Options
    hows it going pug? im on the injury list at the minute! had a few good xc races (5th and 6th) in the last 2 weeks but training has been goin awful, ive only managed 5 training sessions this month no joke which has included just the one long run and 3 club sessions! calling it a right off, and hopefully will be able to start some light jogging next monday...
  • Options
    Toffee
    Blimey mate, sorry to hear that... whats' the injury? What caused it?

I've had a dodgy hamstring hampering me for the last few weeks, but as of last week, it's gone, after £150 quid of physio lol...

Going well mate, down to 12st 3lbs in weight... did 5.4 mile in 31:24 in the 1st Borders race the other week (around 29 for a 5 miler) so looks like I'm in good shape...

Getting married on Sunday (29th Oct)... then fly out to New York for honeymoon/Marathon on the 1st November...time to KICK ASS as the Yanks like to say ;-)

Pug
  • Options
    i picked up an achillies injury after the great north run m8, really frustrated about it as it keeps on feeling ok and during the xc race on sunday i felt great no problems at all...next day couldnt walk too well! thats been pretty much the same story for the last 3 weeks, really annoying!

hope the wedding goes well m8, and good luck with the marathon you'll break 3 hours easy, if you break 2.50 im going to have to get on the phone to your physio to make sure im ok for helsby!!!
  • Options
    I've just read an exclusive in The Chester Standard!

Good luck Pugheaven, all the best.
  • Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭
    Right y'all.

Today sees the start of my Helsby training schedule. I'm putting this pants year of running behind me and aiming for a good run in January.

Mondays are always my rest day so I think it's quite nice to start my schedule with a rest :-)
  • Options
    Sezz - welcome aboard, and congrats on a text-book start to your training ;o)

The entry list has been updated - they're up to 750 entrants already...

Also, there now seems to be some sort of weird entry for the "Helsby Half Marathon" in the RW Events system. It has very sparse details and doesn't even provide a link to the Helsby Runners website. It also refers to the course as being "multiple laps" (which is incorrect) - does anybody know what is going on with this...?
  • Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭
    Best not be multiple laps. Those hills (or one long hill it seemed to be) is bad enough first time round.
  • Options
    hooray, have just checked the entries list and am in! Jolly well hope it's not laps - I went to school in Helsby and the 'double loop' was a killer, esp in winter. Twice up a horrid hill, always running into the wind - feezing! (although they never made us run 13 miles, hmmm...)
    At least on this run I'm allowed to wear what I like rather than uniform - might even be able to feel my feet all the way round! would be lovely to be able to stick 2 fingers up to the horrid PE teachers en route!
  • Options
    hurrah! I am in! Wish I could say the same for FLM, but i guess this will do for now
  • Options
    and no laps, its a great course, but was a little chilly last year. I quite like courses with laps..have yet to meet anyone else who does though, am i alone?
  • Options
    oh yes and wilmslow entry forms are out :)

should really think before i hit submit, i think that is all from me for now
  • Options
    Clarej - You could run in school uniform anyway, and do it for charity!

clairster - I don't mind laps myself. I did the Radcliffe 10k in April, which was 2 laps, and I found I ran the second half really well/enjoyed it because I knew what was coming up (i.e. what I had left to do).
    Giving the Wilmslow Half a miss for 2007 - doing the Coniston 14 instead :o)
    I'm off up to Keswick on Thursday for the Derwentwater 10 on Sunday, so if I don't get to speak to you again, Good Luck for the Guy Fawkes 10!
  • Options
    hey daz..thats my take on lapped races as well. at holmfirth, the 1st lap was hard but the 2nd was so much more fun knowing it was the 2nd lap and it somehow makes it seem shorter. would have liked to do Coniston but am running a beginners HM training program aimed at Wilmslow so would be a little poor if i wasnt there ;). Good luck for Sunday and have a great mini-break too!
  • Options
    clairster - Wilmslow is actually the week before Coniston, so although such a "double-whammy" is out of the question for me, I'm sure you could manage both!
  • Options
    The Helsby website has a map of the route and it's the same as it has been for years ie one lap.

http://www.helsbyrun.freeuk.com/Races/HalfMarathon/Route.htm

At least my names been added to the list now :-)

(and it's a far better race than the London Marathon).
  • Options
    Yipee i'm in.Not done this for a few years so looking forward to doing it next year.It's def 1 lap and every time i've done it it's freezing cold which is ok once you've warmed up.It's a good race to get rid of the xmas flab plus fingers crossed it will keep me motivated over xmas
  • Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭
    Good run last night. First time in aaaaaaaaages I've managed under 10 minute miling, including a feckin' steep hill. Wonder if I can keep it up for next 12 weeks.
  • Options
    The weather at Helsby has been very variable over the last 5 years that I've run it.

One year there was a blizzard that stopped an hour before the race. Other times I've run in a Helly Hansen, another long sleeve over it, Ron Hills, gloves, hat and been too cold. Another year I wore vest and shorts and was too warm. Bring everything along on the day. Wind isn't usually too much of a problem coz a lot of the little country lanes are protected by hedges.

Nice one Sezz ;-)
  • Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭
    "Wind isn't a problem".

Surely that depends if people are running behind you or not.

:-)
  • Options
    Well there are usually farmyard type smells on one part of the course.
  • Options
    And last year Pink Minnie started stripping off half way round !
  • Options
    Can't see my name on the list yet unless I've missed it ! They might still be catching up.

• Options
    There used to be a chicken factory in Helsby which smelled horrendous! think that's closed down now though.
    Just checked out the route - runs down the road where I used to keep my horses! (yes, plenty of farm-type smells!)
    It'll be like a trip back in time... except running, hmmm...
  • Options
    Hey Andy - how was Dublin? It took my name ages to go on the list!
  • Options
    Do i need to enter this yet d'ya think ?
  • Options
    Does anyone know have entries closed yet?
  • Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭
    Yes, do it now Cougs!
  • Options
    Jeeez! I cant do organised ! OK - onto the case now.

Did I tell you I managed to enter Wilmslow twice in one year ? I forgot I'd already entered.