Options

Over 60s training.

Comments

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    flippin blue screen again.

I wonder which coat spider is wearing today.

'night everybody.
  • Options
    Don't believe it. got the bl$$dy blue screen and lost a big message.

Sharkie, well done on your placing. you can't hide anything from Ceal. she always find out.

Ceal, what a lovely run.

JJ, best of luck for tomorrow. I am sending you a kiss on each knee.XX

Impey, you have mail. Sorry about the first one. I have no idea what happened.

Went out for Spider's training session. He was a bit tired so tomorrow he will have a rest day. After, he had his dreaded weekly shower.

It hasn't been a good day for our little hero.

hmmm... I should start learning some poetry...
  • Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭
    Morning everyone. The frost has crept a bit closer to the house.

JJ - wishing you well for your "distance-free" race.

Pammie - your report brought a tear to my eye but your account of the two Irishmen made me smile. A heroic struggle towards the end and a super time, all things considered. So many emotions... I bet you'll be back for more!

MT - your training is always an inspiration. Hope the ankle braces help Liz and that she doesn't have to wear them all the time.

sharkie - good to read you again. Hastings running sounds great and last week's rest doubtless did you a lot of good.

Well done on your handicap racing. Is it possible to explain what distances those 37s and 38s relate to? Or am I being hopelessly thick?

I do have an excuse actually...

Our (oil) central heating boiler broke down last night, then we had a power cut so went to bed in the cold and dark. At least the electricity is back on this morning but the boiler will have to wait until tomorrow for the plumber to try and fix it.

Wood-burning stove has been lit, the computers and halogen lamps are keeping the office warm for the moment and Seth has brought the 5-gallon boiler he uses for brewing into the kitchen for hot water.

Off for a plod now. I'm trying out a new route, a lot of it on farm tracks.
  • Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭
    Spud - hope Spider's shower goes well. Does he make an awful mess?

Mine will be a bit makeshift, involving kettles and jugs.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Good morning,

Chouette
    why do these things always seem to go wrong at a weekend. You have my empathy's. But it sounds as if have a good first aid bandage for most of your eventualities resulting from boiler breakdown. I suppose you could always take to the bed again to keep warm!

JJ
    Run well today, at least there will be no mud. Of course I won the sprint for home, But I am not sure the other guy was sprinting, his breathing was too easy, but I did make him shift his ar*e into another gear, especially up the last long hill, he kept looking over his shoulder and finding I was still there, and then at the top I made my move!!!!

Spud
    the best of luck to you with Spiders shower,do you have to get in there with him?

sharkie
    your new running territory sounds great. The names too. Reminds me of a place that I have just found near here which is a cycle trail about 5 miles away called Christmas Pie Cycle Trail. I haven't tried it yet but will next week.
  • Options
    Chouette
    The temporary heating arrangements sound quite cosy. Have to admit I live in fear of heating breaking down. I do try to be as green as possible where fuel is concerned (and in all other ways of course) but a cold snap turns me into a complete Michelin Man in numerous layers and that's with the heating on...

As for the handicap times: the route is two laps of the Serpentine and Long Water - plus a bit - it measures 4.335 miles. So it's quite a bit further than a 5k but not a 5 miler. Hmm, obviously! The stunning efficiency of the Serpie Handicap team gives us lap paces, overall pace, star signs, credit worthiness, favourite colours... ok I lied about the last three. Anyway, all the info is to be found on the Website via Running - Road Racing - Handicap. Which is how ceal was able to access my results so quickly!

I'm never satisfied, and know I can go quicker but I suppose yesterday was my best road race result so far in my running career. Apart from the 1k and the sprints - which I can't count cos they're different - it gained me my best age graded in my 18 months of running. Still in the lowly 60s - 63.8 on the old system but 65.9 on the new system. I don't allow myself to use the new system yet, Serpieworld will presumably switch to it in the new year.

And that is probably more info than you bargained for!
  • Options
    EmptyEmpty ✭✭✭
    Morning all

Just quickly popping before going to see Darrell play football.

Been out early morning club run, 2 tops, gloves and tracksters but a beautiful morning for running.

Good luck to our racers JJ and Tracey.

back later

Have a good day everyone.

Mike T
  • Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭
    Sharkie - that's great, thank you. I now have the full measure of your achievements, so an extra well done! My age grading is about the same as yours. Nice to hear that we get a few more points towards 70%. Didn't I read (probably on the Serpies site) that 70% is "regional standard"? A good target for 2007, don't you think?

ceal - can we have a recipe for Christmas Pie please?

Just heard on the radio that the power cuts were all over Europe!
  • Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭
    Morning Empty. Pleased to hear you have glorious weather too.

Tracey - sorry, I failed to note that you were racing today. So soon after Beachy! Best of luck if you're still about.

Enjoyed my new route, which seems to be about 8k (5 miles) and took me 56:49. It included a long, gradual climb which finally got me warm after about 25 minutes (only 2 top layers today), then a wonderful stretch across a plateau with fields sloping away all around and finally a grassy, muddy section where I got my feet thoroughly wet. Never mind, it was near the end.

Going to attack some nice warming housework now.
  • Options
    Chouette
    Oh dear, did I overdo the info?

Anyway yes the ever useful Serpie website gives the following: An achievement level of 100% would be approximately the world record level; over 90% would equate to world class; over 80% would be national class and over 70% would be regional class.

I also read somewhere that over 60% represented 'club' runner level. So that's been my first taget. The first race I did - club Handicap May 2005 - took me 43:46 mins, 10:05 pace and age-graded 54.4%.

It took me about 6 months to get to 60% and then it's been a years slog to the dizzy heights of 63.8% yesterday.

Hmm. Can I use the NEW calculations please?

No you can't.

You're only fooling yourself....
  • Options
    Good morning all,

Sharkie,
    Go on, o'course you can :-) After all you just done that great run so recently.

JJ,Tracey,

Too late was the cry. Anyway sending good running vibes to you both.

Empty, Chouette,
    Nice Sunday morning jaunts. "Resting" day for me. I find now that rest days are just as important as training, its making sure the balance is right.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    JJ
    sounds like a very satisfying tiring day. I wonder why only 30 takers for your race? such a lovely day too. Good pace for a hilly circuit. Very good.

sharkie
    the new age grading if definitely in my favour.

Chouette
    sounds like another scenic run for you. I hope the power cuts are not a sign of things to come for the winter. I expect they may be.

Empty
    no details of your run!

I have just heard from Tracey, it sounds as if she had a good 10k, hers was hilly and the 3rd week in a row for a race.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    I had a lovely run by the canal, so mostly off road and I was surprised to find a lot of it was muddy!!

Ran the usual warmup and then 12.3 miles av pace 9.44 and avWHR 64%.

Most of the run was done at 60% with a much slower pace then for the last mile I bombed it at 8.15 pace with a WHR up in the 80% area.

Total run 13 miles in 2:07.

At mile 11 my groin or whatever kicked in as I stopped quickly to open a gate. I then just wanted to get home as quickly as possible. I will work on it later and hopefully get it under control again.

Lots of entertainment whilst running along the canal/river all the canoeists were out practising with their coaches on bikes on the canal bank.

Christmas Pie is the name of a very tiny hamlet just at the bottom of the Hogg Back in beautiful countryside.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Forgot to mention, somehow or other I ahve managed total of 46 miles for the week.
  • Options
    Afternoon

Well done Ceal

Was supposed to be running with Tracey today but woke too late to get there.

But got a lovely surprise at work last night a lovely bunch of flowers from the women on my shift.
  • Options
    Had a good run, wheels start to fall off at 7k thou.

Time by my watch 1:53.
    Ave Pace 9:47
    Ave HR 176
    Max HR 195

My watch is set for miles, so here we go.

Mile 1 10:29 (the hilly bit at the start.)
    Mile 2 9:33
    Mile 3 9:39
    Mile 4 9:37
    Mile 5 9:47
    Mile 6 9:55
    Last bit. 1:49
  • Options
    Pammie

No chocolate medal this year, we got a onxy paper weight medal.
  • Options
    JJ

Well done on your course pb.

Pammie

Did you cry when the lady gave you flowers?
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Tracey
    I think you have given us the incorrect time by your watch for your 10k!

Pammie
    what a lovely present given by your ladies at work.
  • Options
    Ceal

I just went to correct my watch time to 1hr 53 seconds and got the blue screen.
  • Options
    Ceal

Should have put 1:00:53. I have a light headed moment, got the shakes.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Tracey
    I expect you are tired. You have every excuse to be.
  • Options
    EmptyEmpty ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all

JJ/Sharkie well done on your course PB/PB's. Tracey great runs so soon soon after Beachy, well done.

Chouette/Ceal you both sound like you found good routes this morning.

Darrell's team drew 2-2 with their U17 counter-parts, wouldn't have thought they were from the same club as the U17's were overly physical and unfortunately it looks like one of Darrell's team broke his arm as a result of needless and foul challenge :-(

My run this morning; legs were strangely tired so lucky t was a club run
    11.22mi in 1:38:22 @ 8:45 pace, splits were
    8.30, 9.27, 9.02, 8.56, 8.46, 8.33, 9.00 (hill), 8.52, 8.49, 8.39, 8.06, 7.20 (.22mi) - last 1.22 mi pushed on to try and simulate end of race.

Oh well, off to prepare dinner - check back later.

Mike T
  • Options
    Tracey,

Well done on completing your 3rd race in as many weeks. Onyx paperweight makes a change !

JJ,

More chance of being lonely at that rate with fewer than 30 in race :-) Still, you got course pb, which has to be good.